Re: Holdbacks
Anonymous #244262 09/22/17 08:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 20th ranked team in the nation this year plays at a significantly higher level than any club team

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

TM@BOTC #244277 09/22/17 09:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your kid is playing lacrosse at Dartmouth - couldn't make the UNC team - what a fail. LOL

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #244285 09/22/17 10:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
keep telling yourself that the 20th ranked D1 school is better then a good club lacrosse team....face it your kid was not an elite high school player. It's probably why you constantly rant about holdbacks.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #244292 09/22/17 10:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
a top 20 D 1 school you must be so proud.....if you're not in a top 10 D1 school you might as well be playing college club lacrosse. All my sons played on top 4 teams and they were all pre- first.

So all your sons are cheaters that's great,

Funny thing about hold back parents they all think there nothing wrong with it. But in all my years standing on side lines watching lax, i never heard a hold back parent say my kid is a year older or he repeated 8th grade. They all try to act like the kid is great an on age.

Why do you think there was such an uproar when UA posted birth dates for the rosters? All the Baltimore and D.C. Kids were exposed.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #244294 09/22/17 11:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a tough one, it does make a lot of sense for some. Kids do grow late and opportunity may pass them by. My son is on grade (no pre-first) and was a little underpowered in 7th-8th grades. He plays for one of the NLF teams and was de facto playing up. It was challenging at times but he hit the wall and the gym and added 12 pounds between 9th and 10th and about 10 mph on both hands. We thought about it, but he was very competitive in the classroom and it made no sense at the time. I cannot judge because every case is different, it is certainly easier when cost is no object. The thing that does suck is when your kid who is playing a lot has a mediocre repeater drops down and take playing time from him.

Holding back works, why do you think so many college coaches redshirt and / or send their recruits to do a PG year? It's more ridiculous at the younger ages but as you get older the impact diminishes, those who complain (me sometimes) aren't "whining" we're just pointing out the indisputable advantage the older kids have and if the holdback parents showed even a little bit of humility it would make the holdback situation somewhat tolerable. Case in point is the FCA parent who constantly says his kids "played up" with the 2019s when they are all born in 2001 anyway.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #244302 09/22/17 11:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. What's the point of playing for any school in D1 outside the top10. The same schools basically win every year. If your kid want's the chance to actually win a championship, and you can get over the point of being an idiot parent who only cares about bragging about your kid, let them go D2, a top school and they can actually win something they will have the rest of their lives. A championship as well as a great education. But i'm assuming you are also likely that dad at every tournament who carries around a stick for absolutely no reason. There are always a few.

a top 20 D 1 school you must be so proud.....if you're not in a top 10 D1 school you might as well be playing college club lacrosse. All my sons played on top 4 teams and they were all pre- first.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #244303 09/22/17 11:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a tough one, it does make a lot of sense for some. Kids do grow late and opportunity may pass them by. My son is on grade (no pre-first) and was a little underpowered in 7th-8th grades. He plays for one of the NLF teams and was de facto playing up. It was challenging at times but he hit the wall and the gym and added 12 pounds between 9th and 10th and about 10 mph on both hands. We thought about it, but he was very competitive in the classroom and it made no sense at the time. I cannot judge because every case is different, it is certainly easier when cost is no object. The thing that does suck is when your kid who is playing a lot has a mediocre repeater drops down and take playing time from him.

Holding back works, why do you think so many college coaches redshirt and / or send their recruits to do a PG year? It's more ridiculous at the younger ages but as you get older the impact diminishes, those who complain (me sometimes) aren't "whining" we're just pointing out the indisputable advantage the older kids have and if the holdback parents showed even a little bit of humility it would make the holdback situation somewhat tolerable. Case in point is the FCA parent who constantly says his kids "played up" with the 2019s when they are all born in 2001 anyway.

Actually you are wrong about impact. The advantage of age has a greater impact as the players get older. It may appear to have a larger impact in 7th and 8th grade bc of obvious size differences, but the teams themselves get older in HS (and better) bc the younger kids don't make it and quit/get cut.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #244306 09/22/17 11:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
keep telling yourself that the 20th ranked D1 school is better then a good club lacrosse team....face it your kid was not an elite high school player. It's probably why you constantly rant about holdbacks.

Well, the rankings change week to week throughout the season, but yes, any top 20 Varsity D1 College lacrosse team would absolutely annihilate any college club team in existence. What are we even talking about? Some of the teams that fall into that category week to week from last year are Duke, Army, Loyola, it's just a stupid argument.

Like Reply Quote
TM@BOTC #244308 09/22/17 11:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is literally an argument about nothing as related to HS or College. Youth, fine, chatter on all day long, both sides have a case. HS into College, irrelevant. The major HS sports associations have age caps to account for every reasonable circumstance imaginable, and it is never going to go "down". It's basically 19 before Senior year to be eligible. They aren't going to lower it, because a kid could have to repeat a grade for many reasons - could be very stupid, could have a catastrophic accident, could miss a year of school for who cares what reason, could be super lazy, could have parents that transfer around and move a lot, could just like to have another year. It's not changing. NCAA has age caps for Varsity sports and time restrictions between HS and College to be eligible, with some understandable exemptions, such as major injury, military service, charitable service, and a few similar. Never changing the cap in the "down" direction. So, whine, complain, argue all you want, these things have been thought through upside down and backwards. Youth, argue all you want about age versus grade, because there are cases on both sides.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #244309 09/22/17 11:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, the rankings change week to week throughout the season, but yes, any top 20 Varsity D1 College lacrosse team would absolutely annihilate any college club team in existence. What are we even talking about? Some of the teams that fall into that category week to week from last year are Duke, Army, Loyola, it's just a stupid argument.

I Rant about holdbacks because it wrong simple has that. FYI, my guy all american this year on age.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
TM@BOTC #244311 09/22/17 11:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So every age group and club post eventually leads to the holdback reclass issue. Admin starts a new thread for the holdback issue and it leads to debating if a club team is as good as Duke or Army??? Strange days ahead

Like Reply Quote
TM@BOTC #244313 09/22/17 12:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just go to Birth Year instead of Grade year already...

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #244317 09/22/17 12:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bingo

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #244324 09/22/17 01:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Agreed. What's the point of playing for any school in D1 outside the top10. The same schools basically win every year. If your kid want's the chance to actually win a championship, and you can get over the point of being an idiot parent who only cares about bragging about your kid, let them go D2, a top school and they can actually win something they will have the rest of their lives. A championship as well as a great education. But i'm assuming you are also likely that dad at every tournament who carries around a stick for absolutely no reason. There are always a few.

I do not care about your other points but I like to carry around my sons back up stick. I do not like to sit down in a beach chair and drag it from field to field. I never played lacrosse so I am not reliving anything. Just wanted to stick up for the guys who like walking sticks at tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
TM@BOTC #244325 09/22/17 01:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I Rant about holdbacks because it wrong simple has that. FYI, my guy all american this year on age.

You rant about bs, because your kid plays for a youth or hs b level club team, you are bored, you are an idiot, and you are pretty sure he won't even attain hs success eventually. If your kid was in college, you wouldn't even be on here, nor would the word holdback occupy one second in your mind on any given day.

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard