Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#243877 - 09/20/17 01:32 PM Holdbacks  
TM@BOTC Online content
TM@BOTC  Online Content

Use this thread to discuss this heavily talked about topic. Remember to oblige by the forum rules and to not use ANY names.

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#243955 - 09/20/17 05:49 PM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is hysterical.

Top Reply Quote
#243956 - 09/20/17 05:52 PM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't see an issue with holdbacks. If this will help a kid mature and have a better chance of playing in college while potentially saving more money, then that is great.

Top Reply Quote
#243962 - 09/20/17 06:44 PM Re: Holdbacks [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can’t he hang with the big boys and play in his own age group?

Top Reply Quote
#243973 - 09/20/17 07:23 PM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Play up until 8th grade, as high as reasonable. You'll get better, and the libs can argue with the refs, coaches, spouses, weather, grass, and their own kids again, like in the good old days. Once you hit 8th, anyone but your own parents can mind their own business, or eat a bag of (censored).

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#243987 - 09/20/17 08:57 PM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spoken like a true cheating Holdback parent... Loser. I'm sure you held them back because of the academic challenges the simpleton was having in school, or was it they socially couldn't handle it so they had to stay back, or was it your boy just couldn't keep up competitively on the field and play with his peers (Yeah, that sounds about right). Don't worry son you are GREAT just as long as you are playing with the little kids, and mommy and daddy will make sure of it. That's right that's real life. "If you can't compete just repeat." And Again, And Again. You'll get it son.

Top Reply Quote
#243989 - 09/20/17 09:25 PM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The influence of MIAA school parents and the large amount of their prefirst children in Private schools has given us grade base lacrosse in MD.

Top Reply Quote
#243990 - 09/20/17 09:37 PM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

!.Everyone knows there is an advantage playing against children generally younger than you. Especially prior to HS

2, Everyone knows it is within the rules for HOCO and many tournaments.

3. The big question is about letting these select children get an advantage in youth lacrosse others dont with same birthday.

Top Reply Quote
#243991 - 09/20/17 09:47 PM Re: Holdbacks [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Spoken like a true cheating Holdback parent... Loser. I'm sure you held them back because of the academic challenges the simpleton was having in school, or was it they socially couldn't handle it so they had to stay back, or was it your boy just couldn't keep up competitively on the field and play with his peers (Yeah, that sounds about right). Don't worry son you are GREAT just as long as you are playing with the little kids, and mommy and daddy will make sure of it. That's right that's real life. "If you can't compete just repeat." And Again, And Again. You'll get it son.

This was in response to someone suggesting playing up to a level high as possible during youth ball? Wow, your cheeks are so sore, you aren't even trying anymore. Your narrative is the argument!

Top Reply Quote
#244001 - 09/21/17 05:44 AM Re: Holdbacks [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
The influence of MIAA school parents and the large amount of their prefirst children in Private schools has given us grade base lacrosse in MD.

Don't just blame it on the MIAA or IAAM - there is also the WCAC.
Here's a tree in the woods thought: If everyone else is holding back, is it really an advantage to hold back? Just wondering.

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#244005 - 09/21/17 06:00 AM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyone complains about safety when the holdbacks are big kids but no one worries about the late bloomer that is getting crushed by bigger kids his own age. The late bloomers should be forced to repeat for their own safety.

Top Reply Quote
#244029 - 09/21/17 08:00 AM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's the disadvantage of doing an extra year of primary education?

Top Reply Quote
#244043 - 09/21/17 08:45 AM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think most people look at this the wrong way. Trying to control parents behavior or choices is difficult at best. Each situation is different. Some may choose a late start early for many reasons. It is hard to predict if a "pre-first" will end up being a talented lacrosse player prior to K. However holding back in 8th grade for an athletic advantage may seem crazy to some but very logical to others. Try explaining this logic to a public school family in the midwest for "lacrosse" which is not a professional sport and you may get a confused reaction. However I think that we should not focus this issue solely on the parents. Instead of asking what is the upside to holdbacks in top tournament and the HOCO league, we should ask the HOCO league officials what would be the downside of creating age based classifications and having a minimal form of enforcement? The answer may be that the top clubs will not play. This would hold true for current classes 2024-2022 but what about younger ages? We have to start somewhere. For those who claim it would never happen because it does not benefit the clubs look at the early recruiting issue. This was a boom for the clubs. They built business off being the only game in town and parents fears that if my son did not commit by 9th grade it was over. The clubs won't admit this but the new rule does not help them. Yet, it was still able to be changed. The holdback issue is similar in many ways. However the target should be USL and HOCO not the parents they are simply doing what they feel is best for their family.

Top Reply Quote
#244052 - 09/21/17 09:09 AM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isn't club supposed to be more advanced than rec, for kids that want to hone in on a primary sport, and definitely play in HS? For $2,000/yr the expectation should be that the league is very challenging, correct? Because for $100 during Spring, they can just play rec for fun, correct? We've had age spreads for 30 years, so safety should not be an issue for two consecutive grades playing together. Are we sure that people aren't signing up for club, mistaking it for a community service, like rec, because, for example, friends and buddies are doing it? For $2,000/yr, plus travel, the league better darn sure emulate what to expect for the foreseeable future. I'm not paying that kind of money for my kid to have a false expectation that he is a superstar. I think kids under the "holdback" argument should play up at age or even +1 depending on ability all day long until HS, but honestly, if my kid thinks he's one of the best kids out there, because it's only kids exactly his age, he's not getting better, and he's not pushing his limits. Does anyone really want their kid to be the best 10 year old anything, except maybe best brother or sister to his siblings!? I say play up until HS, but I also want my kid to be pushed a bit, so yeah, it's a tough argument at the youth level.

Top Reply Quote
#244058 - 09/21/17 09:20 AM Re: Holdbacks [Re: TM@BOTC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holdbacks, also see Crabs Lacrosse / Baltimore Lacrosse Club thread (disambiguation)

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Lacrosse Tournament
JC17 Memorial Shootout for Dreams