BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Team 91 MD
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,591
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 69 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 68 69
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2012/Spring 2013
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Being a great Lacrosse player in 8th grade is one thing, but there are several other factors that go into a kid playing at the next level. The Elephant in the room that nooone wants to talk about is the kids grades. Its all well and good that you are a great lacrosse player, but if you dont have the grades, good luck with that. The Turtles are a great 2017 team and probably the best in the country at the age group, but at some point they are going to have to stand on their own as individuals when it comes to playing at the next level. I have no doubt that many of those kids will end up playing college lacrosse, but lets slow down here, they havent even gotten into high school yet. Lots of things can happen between now and 10th grade.

Interesting pint. Will be interesting to see how the boys will fare individually away from mother turtle. I did hear one suggestion whispered that they may decide collectively to not play for their schools and just stay together and play for turtles year round. I'll believe it when I see it but that would be a shame if that is how it unfolds or if that eventually becomes a bigger trend generally.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For some reason? If you think really hard Im pretty sure you can figure out why they didnt go to Dicks......(Hint: there was another 2017 team there from Long Island that supposed to be really good)

Turtle buddy, news flash Terps qualified in a u15a bracket by winning a Fall 2012 tournament. Meaning, your team play 7th graders in Fla where the 2017 Terp team would've played 8th & 9th graders. Fear was NOT in the thought process..

AFAIK, there were only two 2018 teams in the 27 team bracket...the rest were big kids and I mean big! Breakers AA and Denver elite were stacked with large kids and each team had a couple of 6'2" players on each end of the field...very intimidating to say the least, and extremely physical, but that did not stop the skill of the Long Island Turtles.

Represented the LI region well against some seriously big and talented kids from all over. Also, IIRC, the turtles won the summer sizzle, the mad lax and crab fest tournaments on their way to the [lacrosse]'s tourney. I think they earned just a little respect for going undefeated in all of those tournaments.

Maybe they're not the best, but they sure are trying their best. What more can you ask?

I bet the u13aa Breakers are massive! Because when we beat the u15aa Breakers in fall they were huge also! No doubt turtles are the #1 team in 2017 but I think most feel it looked a little cheesy to go down there and win by 20 goals a game but I guess all you turtle parents neede some Mickey Time!

heard that they added a couple of crabs as well...they were big fast and nasty...typical maryland players..they meet long island teams and start using physical size to compensate for lack of lax skills

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard that rumor that they may follow the route of elite soccer, but also heard another rumor that they were instead going to collectively go to a HS in West Islip so they could all play.

Being a great Lacrosse player in 8th grade is one thing, but there are several other factors that go into a kid playing at the next level. The Elephant in the room that nooone wants to talk about is the kids grades. Its all well and good that you are a great lacrosse player, but if you dont have the grades, good luck with that. The Turtles are a great 2017 team and probably the best in the country at the age group, but at some point they are going to have to stand on their own as individuals when it comes to playing at the next level. I have no doubt that many of those kids will end up playing college lacrosse, but lets slow down here, they havent even gotten into high school yet. Lots of things can happen between now and 10th grade.

Interesting pint. Will be interesting to see how the boys will fare individually away from mother turtle. I did hear one suggestion whispered that they may decide collectively to not play for their schools and just stay together and play for turtles year round. I'll believe it when I see it but that would be a shame if that is how it unfolds or if that eventually becomes a bigger trend generally.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For some reason? If you think really hard Im pretty sure you can figure out why they didnt go to Dicks......(Hint: there was another 2017 team there from Long Island that supposed to be really good)

Turtle buddy, news flash Terps qualified in a u15a bracket by winning a Fall 2012 tournament. Meaning, your team play 7th graders in Fla where the 2017 Terp team would've played 8th & 9th graders. Fear was NOT in the thought process..

Terps have zero chance of ever beating the turtles...sorry.

I truly wonder if its just ONE turtle parent that LIVES on this site every minute of day & evening, or is it all the turtle parents? Its nonstop "turtles are the best", "turtles can kill everyone", "team 123 did good but they aren't the turtles". OMG, you turtle people are setting your sons up for failure.

There will be several D1 commits from the 2017's from LI on most of the elite teams, meaning players from Team 91, Terps, Trueblue, fl$ and the Turtles. BUT, you some of you turtle parents act like EVERY player on your team is going to be a huge NCAA D1 star and unfortunately your wrong. I feel for the Turtle player/parent that DOESNT go D1 because you need to be careful, that bright light on that spotlight can burn sometimes. Be careful.

Jump up and down all you want but my kid played against both teams and there is no comparison. BTW lighting is quickly changing to LED with 50,000 to 100,000 hours of life so chances of burning out are slim.

i should hope there is no comparison, one team together 5 years other together 5 months. And of course your son doesn't play for the turtles, liar.

Let me get this right...baiting lunatics on a thread about 8th graders makes me a turtle parent?...that team is probably laughing at all of this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the higher grades (2015,2016) the Crabs, Dukes, West Coast Starz and a couple of other from the PA/Balt/DC area are considered as good any club on the Island. How good are those clubs in the 2017 grade? Have the Crabs or West Coast Starz played the turtles?

turtles beat both and the crabs in their own tournament

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

100% correct.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

100% correct.

Is that why colleges are verbally committing to kids in 9th?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

100% correct.

Its been like 5 kids so far and they are all from big time prep schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

100% correct.

Its been like 5 kids so far and they are all from big time prep schools.

from areas that don't have lacrosse in public schools. Doesn't really matter, just making light of the 8th grade 10th grade mention and figured why leave the 9th grade out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

100% correct.

Is this true? I heard a goalie got a verbal commit in 9th grade. I thought they were not allowed to talk to them until 10th grade. I thought it was just a rumor.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also realize the 9th graders who are committing are already over 6ft. They are not the typical 5'4 120# Freshman.
Forry Smith - 6-2 175lbs
Matt LeCompte (2015)6-2, 175-pound
Sam Offutt - 5-11, 165-pound
Mickey Fitzpatrick (2015)6-0 170-pound lefty

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I truly wonder if its just ONE turtle parent that LIVES on this site every minute of day & evening, or is it all the turtle parents? Its nonstop "turtles are the best", "turtles can kill everyone", "team 123 did good but they aren't the turtles". OMG, you turtle people are setting your sons up for failure.

There will be several D1 commits from the 2017's from LI on most of the elite teams, meaning players from Team 91, Terps, Trueblue, fl$ and the Turtles. BUT, you some of you turtle parents act like EVERY player on your team is going to be a huge NCAA D1 star and unfortunately your wrong. I feel for the Turtle player/parent that DOESNT go D1 because you need to be careful, that bright light on that spotlight can burn sometimes. Be careful.
Many seem to actually wish this team ill will. I simply can't figure out why, but I also must point out that you come across insanely jealous for wishing failure upon a hard working crew. I'd rather improve by losing to them, than dodge 'em and hate 'em. GO LONG ISLAND TEAMS!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
take 2'' and 20 lbs from each to get actual size - i bet

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many seem to actually wish this team ill will. I simply can't figure out why, but I also must point out that you come across insanely jealous for wishing failure upon a hard working crew. I'd rather improve by losing to them, than dodge 'em and hate 'em. GO LONG ISLAND TEAMS!

You are reading into something that isn't there. Nobody is wishing this team ill or wishing failure upon a hard working crew. Not sure where you got that from but its not the case.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just want everyone know that, most of these turtle kids are A and A(+) students from their own schools. They are student-athletes.
That is why this team is so special.
Not typical JOCKS!
Most will end up in IVY.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just want everyone know that, most of these turtle kids are A and A(+) students from their own schools. They are student-athletes.
Not typical JOCKS!
Most will end up in IVY.

How can you possilby know their grades with any accuracy? They are special because they are great 8th grade lacrosse team players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are reading into something that isn't there. Nobody is wishing this team ill or wishing failure upon a hard working crew. Not sure where you got that from but its not the case.

Really? Look back on threads...lots of & hating going on:(

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not typical JOCKS!
Most will end up in IVY.

My son goes to the same school as a few of the turtles and from what he can see, those boys are "ok" students but certainly not high honor roll kind of kids - in fact none of them are regularly seen on the actual high honor roll posted in the hall. He also says they are a little cocky and kind of stick to themselves. Hopefully they will mature in areas other than their stick skills.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are reading into something that isn't there. Nobody is wishing this team ill or wishing failure upon a hard working crew. Not sure where you got that from but its not the case. [/quote]

Really? Look back on threads...lots of & hating going on:( [/quote]

The only reason that anybody would not root for the Turtles is if they were arrogant and classless winners - which from everything I've heard and seen from a distance is definately not the case. This is a very humble, classy group of kids that knows how to win in a way that respects their opponents and more importantly spirit of the game. And that comes right from the top with classy leadership that has developed a model that should be emulated by everybody. First class all the way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not typical JOCKS!
Most will end up in IVY.

My son goes to the same school as a few of the turtles and from what he can see, those boys are "ok" students but certainly not high honor roll kind of kids - in fact none of them are regularly seen on the actual high honor roll posted in the hall. He also says they are a little cocky and kind of stick to themselves. Hopefully they will mature in areas other than their stick skills.

get a life.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When every parent would love to have their son play on the team it is envy and respect that you are picking up on, not "hating".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
New topic (revisited) to break the chain of insanity here.

What to do when your "town team" parents resent that your kid plays on one of the club teams that can literally wipe the town team off of the field?

Resentment can be in the forms of, but not limited to:

-Shunning at other sporting events
-Looks of contempt given your kid by other parents when associating with his town friends
-attempt by "townies" to bad mouth said club kid to HS coaches and town teammates.

Any other similar experiences out there? Sad but true.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? Look back on threads...lots of & hating going on:( [/quote]

The only reason that anybody would not root for the Turtles is if they were arrogant and classless winners - which from everything I've heard and seen from a distance is definately not the case. This is a very humble, classy group of kids that knows how to win in a way that respects their opponents and more importantly spirit of the game. And that comes right from the top with classy leadership that has developed a model that should be emulated by everybody. First class all the way. [/quote]

In the 70's SNL had a skit called "the Bizarro Planet" where everything is opposite. This last post seems right off of the script.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When every parent would love to have their son play on the team it is envy and respect that you are picking up on, not "hating".

"Envy" & "Respect" but not "Hate"? Where is that "Lax Daddy" with his vocab app?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

scrambled brains- you been playin without a helmet?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Every player/child has the opportunity to advance their game, whether they choose to do so is entirely up to them. There is a big committment to a club team, and as a parent of a player who has done both for years, I applaud any player who committs to both - TEAM FIRST!! Our experience has been positive with parents and players alike from our town team. We get many questions about the process and some players in our community have even joined different travel teams. The real issues arrise during their HS years when club team tournments conflict with school team tournaments, thats when parents and other players get a little weird. Being humble goes a long way, nobody likes a player who thinks they are better than others, but everyone has the opportunity to improve. Good luck

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Every player/child has the opportunity to advance their game, whether they choose to do so is entirely up to them. There is a big committment to a club team, and as a parent of a player who has done both for years, I applaud any player who committs to both - TEAM FIRST!! Our experience has been positive with parents and players alike from our town team. We get many questions about the process and some players in our community have even joined different travel teams. The real issues arrise during their HS years when club team tournments conflict with school team tournaments, thats when parents and other players get a little weird. Being humble goes a long way, nobody likes a player who thinks they are better than others, but everyone has the opportunity to improve. Good luck

Some town teams won't let a club player play for both. Then what is the solution? Play for the inferior town team or risk being placed in the town stockade for playing on a club team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Envy" & "Respect" but not "Hate"? Where is that "Lax Daddy" with his vocab app?

It's actually a well trained brain app....prone to coming of the wheels at times and stirring pots for no known reason. Schizo probably...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's your definition of "lax daddy"?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh, Lord. PLEASE no more definitions!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know of any PAL coaches that would tell their players they can't tryout for club teams, practices and games don't conflict, but then there is those Three Villagers they don't like it when their players go outside the league, but they have an outstanding program

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We are all lax daddy's.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know of any PAL coaches that would tell their players they can't tryout for club teams, practices and games don't conflict, but then there is those Three Villagers they don't like it when their players go outside the league, but they have an outstanding program

You don't know enough coaches in that case. Call around. You' be surprised.

Too bad this is the case, as the town teams don't recognize that the club players are gaining valuable advanced experience that they could impart to their town school teams when they play for them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You don't know enough coaches in that case. Call around. You' be surprised.

Too bad this is the case, as the town teams don't recognize that the club players are gaining valuable advanced experience that they could impart to their town school teams when they play for them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The entire Three Village program does not allow any player that plays for a club team be a part of the PAL program. The boys that put lacrosse first over other sports are then kicked out of the PAL program. They should keep up with the evolving lacrosse world. Unfortunately, their program is not as competitive anymore and their travel teams can no longer compete in the top tournaments. This hurts the 3V boys in the program because then they are not used to playing at that fast paced level. Then the town wonders why we can't win a county championship. Just let them all play. Cage Sage, can you check the position of the PAL directors? Curious if they know boys are being excluded.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This hurts the 3V boys in the program because then they are not used to playing at that fast paced level. Then the town wonders why we can't win a county championship.
So, better and more committed players move to elite programs and away from the "intramural" PAL program - and this is a problem, how? This is what is supposed to happen where better players move to find better competition and training. Exactly why is it the responsibility of better players to help the remaining Three Village players play at a faster pace?

Is this question really restated as "The better players leave and the teams remaining do not win - and I want the better players to stay so that the weaker players can say that they won something"?

Cage Sage, can you check the position of the PAL directors? Curious if they know boys are being excluded.
Seems to me that this is a personal issue.

If you have a child being impacted, call the club and get the details. If you are unhappy with the answers, send us an e-mail to cagesage@backofthecage.com with all of the details and we will check out the issue. If worthy of coverage, it will be brought into the clear.

Meanwhile, BOTC is not in the business of club investigations assigned to us from anonymous posters.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Another thought on this subject : Ten to twelve year old boys are the same regardless of the sport - they will play the game with boys that they believe are of equal or better ability. That said, the problem of mixing better players with weaker players is that come game time, only the better players will actually touch the ball. Generally, they will not pass the ball to a player who is no better than 50/50 to catch the pass much less return an accurate throw.

The problem is not at game time and with the results - the problem is in the effort at practices and the resulting ability that comes onto the playing field. The axiom of sports achievement is quite simple : Practice builds better field play - not the other way around.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Another thought on this subject : Ten to twelve year old boys are the same regardless of the sport - they will play the game with boys that they believe are of equal or better ability. That said, the problem of mixing better players with weaker players is that come game time, only the better players will actually touch the ball. Generally, they will not pass the ball to a player who is no better than 50/50 to catch the pass much less return an accurate throw.

The problem is not at game time and with the results - the problem is in the effort at practices and the resulting ability that comes onto the playing field. The axiom of sports achievement is quite simple : Practice builds better field play - not the other way around.

Outstanding observation and comment. Spoken as a true Sage. I applaud your accuracy and the tearing down of the walls of progressive insecurity and propaganda.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Interesting tournament on Monday, January 21st with six local teams taking to the indoor fields at Long Island Sports Hub : 2017 Terps, 2017 Jesters, Predators, 2017 Piranhas, 2018 Terps, and Team Long Island. Tournament schedules follow.

Home Away Time/Status
2017 Jesters v 2017 Terps 8:00 AM
2017 Piranha v 2018 Terps 8:50 AM
Predators v 2017 Jesters 9:40 AM
2018 Terps v Team LI 10:30 AM
Predators v 2017 Terps 11:20 AM
Team LI v 2017 Piranha 12:10 PM
Consolation v Consolation 1:00 PM
1st Bracket One v 2nd Bracket Two 1:50 PM
1st Bracket Two v 2nd Bracket One 2:40 PM
Championship v Championship 3:30 PM

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Its the first time for the Predators to play together. They are mostly from Bronxville and Rye. Good luck everyone. Which is the Express A team - Terps or Piranahs? Is it the same for both 2017 and 2018?

Like Reply Quote
Page 12 of 69 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 68 69
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard