BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Nassau PAL vs Suffolk PAL
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Smarty pants was funny - I take it as a complement!

but I guess you agree with the points, to a certain degree.

Sure sure the bashing has to go... but so does the bashing of parents that are promoting their childs need to play a competitive game.

Just like in life, it is not always what you say but how you say it.

I was just simply stating; when was there ever a team or teams with the talent as 91's 3rd or 4th grade team. Not sure, not to long ago you didnt have 3rd grade teams let alone competitive teams at that age (developmental at best).

And, these teams are getting pushed and promoted by parents who have older siblings and know they can succeed in a program for 3rd (or 4th) graders. (Commenting on the people stating this is first child syndrome)

and Sure not all of the boys will be the top tier players when they hit HS, but 50% will be the studs come time for HS. Think of it like the progression of basketball; it was boring in the 70's and early 80's (you may not have been around for that) but then the explosion came and it turned its corner.

Sure basketball has hit duldrums again but that is not the point.

The evolution (not revolution) of LAX is coming and by the time these 3rd 4th graders are in HS, it will be amazing to watch and college will be spectacular!

No they won't, because some kid with 5 times as much talent has not even picked up a stick yet, but he will. The two best 3rd grade kids I have seen both play on town teams only, and I have seen 91. After lax season they go on to dominate in football season, then in basketball, then back to lax. ANd when these kids with under talent start really hitting it when they become young men the kid who had an advantage because he played 12 months year will watch them fly right past him

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yea but the guy who bought into "spectacular" with future gave the theory of evolution and with his belief it's coming real soon.. I guess that what his coach tells him as he has his hand out to be paid!

So obvious he's plugging away ..

Sure sure the bashing has to go... but so does the bashing of parents that are promoting their childs need to play a competitive game.

I was just simply stating; when was there ever a team or teams with the talent as 91's 3rd or 4th grade team. Not sure, not to long ago you didnt have 3rd grade teams let alone competitive teams at that age (developmental at best).

And, these teams are getting pushed and promoted by parents who have older siblings and know they can succeed in a program for 3rd (or 4th) graders. (Commenting on the people stating this is first child syndrome)

and Sure not all of the boys will be the top tier players when they hit HS, but 50% will be the studs come time for HS. Think of it like the progression of basketball; it was boring in the 70's and early 80's (you may not have been around for that) but then the explosion came and it turned its corner.

The evolution (not revolution) of LAX is coming and by the time these 3rd 4th graders are in HS, it will be amazing to watch and college will be spectacular!

No they won't, because some kid with 5 times as much talent has not even picked up a stick yet, but he will. The two best 3rd grade kids I have seen both play on town teams only, and I have seen 91. After lax season they go on to dominate in football season, then in basketball, then back to lax. ANd when these kids with under talent start really hitting it when they become young men the kid who had an advantage because he played 12 months year will watch them fly right past him

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok think what you want...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK..We do..

Ok think what you want...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yea but the guy who bought into "spectacular" with future gave the theory of evolution and with his belief it's coming real soon.. I guess that what his coach tells him as he has his hand out to be paid!

I think it's great for a kid to play many sports, especially at a young age. However, your kidding yourself if you think the kid that specializes and stays with it is going to get passed up. Only in lacrosse is it not a good thing to specialize. I here it all the way up the line. If you play basketball or golf, tennis, football, soccer, and others you're considered very committed to your sport if you play all the time or play in season and train off season. The only way to get really good at something is to work at it all the time. Ever notice how inner city kids seem to be really good at basketball? They play everyday. You see them playing lacrosse to improve their basketball game? NO! Same thing with a talent. If your a great piano player, do you play the drums half the year??? I say if a kid only wants to play lacrosse, let him enjoy. Absolutely no negative effects. If he wants to play other sports that's great too...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it's great for a kid to play many sports, especially at a young age. However, your kidding yourself if you think the kid that specializes and stays with it is going to get passed up. Only in lacrosse is it not a good thing to specialize. I here it all the way up the line. If you play basketball or golf, tennis, football, soccer, and others you're considered very committed to your sport if you play all the time or play in season and train off season. The only way to get really good at something is to work at it all the time. Ever notice how inner city kids seem to be really good at basketball? They play everyday. You see them playing lacrosse to improve their basketball game? NO! Same thing with a talent. If your a great piano player, do you play the drums half the year??? I say if a kid only wants to play lacrosse, let him enjoy. Absolutely no negative effects. If he wants to play other sports that's great too...

My friend picked up a lax stick in 10th grade, ended up an All American with D1 offers that he turned down for a football free ride. . Will playing lax 12 months a year make you a bette r lax player? Sure. Will it matter when a kid with double the talent picks up a stick much later then him and only plays during lax season ? Nope. The lesser talented kid will be on the bench watching. Know what the new college recruiting tactic is ? Draft kids with less lax exposure but with more athletic ability because after being coached up for a year or two they will be better then that kid who played lax 12 months a year for the last decade. I watch kids of m sons town team who pick up the stick first week of practice, sure the travel kids are better in that first week, come see the team at the end of the season, that kid is blowing the travel kids away

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My friend picked up a lax stick in 10th grade, ended up an All American with D1 offers that he turned down for a football free ride. . Will playing lax 12 months a year make you a bette r lax player? Sure. Will it matter when a kid with double the talent picks up a stick much later then him and only plays during lax season ? Nope. The lesser talented kid will be on the bench watching. Know what the new college recruiting tactic is ? Draft kids with less lax exposure but with more athletic ability because after being coached up for a year or two they will be better then that kid who played lax 12 months a year for the last decade. I watch kids of m sons town team who pick up the stick first week of practice, sure the travel kids are better in that first week, come see the team at the end of the season, that kid is blowing the travel kids away

Look if you're talking pure athletic ability vs a kid who just play a lot of lacrosse, I agree. However, the new thing in recruiting you talk about started 10 plus years ago. Look at the top players in the college game today, the overwhelming majority are true lax players who number one sport was lacrosse. Sure you have some that played HS football. The real new trend in recruiting is Canadians.... Why are they so good? They play box lacrosse all winter. Top colleges kids all true lax heads. Stanwick, Sawyer, Baum, Manny, finialists for Twarton award! I agree about the better athlete, but a good athlete who plays lots of Lacrosse, better player in the end hands down... maybe not as good as your friend from HS, just kidding.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you are dead on, great athletes will always pass great lacrosse players eventually, as for the inner city basketball analogy there are a lot of kids playing inner city basketball all the time but the ones that make it are the great athletes, Thomas Keith played lacrosse from March through May until 11th grade because he was a highly touted hockey (drafted in the USHL) he dedicated to lacrosse in 11th grade and is now the starting long pole middy at Cornell - he is a great athlete. it is called upside potential, a kid that plays 12 months a year will not have great upside because he is already near his peak. instead of all the specialized training and 12 months a year I would recommend speed and agility training.
IMHO

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you are dead on, great athletes will always pass great lacrosse players eventually, as for the inner city basketball analogy there are a lot of kids playing inner city basketball all the time but the ones that make it are the great athletes, Thomas Keith played lacrosse from March through May until 11th grade because he was a highly touted hockey (drafted in the USHL) he dedicated to lacrosse in 11th grade and is now the starting long pole middy at Cornell - he is a great athlete. it is called upside potential, a kid that plays 12 months a year will not have great upside because he is already near his peak. instead of all the specialized training and 12 months a year I would recommend speed and agility training.

IMHO you're wrong on multiple fronts. Your siting individual one player situations and trying to make that the norm for every kid. Read a book called the outsiders. It takes 10,000 hours of practice to master a skill. You can site super athletic long poles, but the inner city basketball analogy says it all.
With regard to speed and agility... You don't get fast by running through cones and doing ladder drills..... Speed comes from strength. Look at the physiques of some the fastest people in world... They didn't get that way from ladder drills. They spent hours in the gym strength training.
Not saying a kid should play lax full out for 12 months a year. I am saying that specialization for kid that wants to do it, is not a negative. They should play what they like. Making a kid play football or some other sport is in no way going to make him a better lax player if he doesn't want to play other sports.
IMHO

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IMHO you're wrong on multiple fronts. Your siting individual one player situations and trying to make that the norm for every kid. Read a book called the outsiders. It takes 10,000 hours of practice to master a skill. You can site super athletic long poles, but the inner city basketball analogy says it all.
With regard to speed and agility... You don't get fast by running through cones and doing ladder drills..... Speed comes from strength. Look at the physiques of some the fastest people in world... They didn't get that way from ladder drills. They spent hours in the gym strength training.
Not saying a kid should play lax full out for 12 months a year. I am saying that specialization for kid that wants to do it, is not a negative. They should play what they like. Making a kid play football or some other sport is in no way going to make him a better lax player if he doesn't want to play other sports.
IMHO

The kid plays other sports because he likes them, and when lax season comes his superior ability makes him rise to the top . Anyone who thinks if they just have their kid play lacrosse all year when he gets to HS he will be better then kids with more natural talent is deluding themselves. You think I am blind ? YOu think I have not noticed some kids pick up things far far far quicker then otheres and do them better ?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHAT ARE YOU ALL GETTING AT?
Take A chill and dont hate yourself because you were hitting the pipe in high school and now you all wish you could have played sports so you use little johnny as your front..
Come on guys your debates are useless , pointless , and a waste of web-space. You think your gonna get a point across by having a debate on here? read a book? serious? You think the other guy on his laptop is going to say your right? Truth of the matter is the people on here are the clueless individuals like myself who wanna brush up on the lax community scene , and also post like they know what they are talking about, Fact is the people who really are educated on this scene do not need to go on here to do that, and will not post... do you Get it? Your thesis on evolution of a kids maturity in sports is not going to help anyone make the decision what to do for their own kid ! Spend your free time on something more productive for your own community... Plant a tree...or toss the ball around at your school with a few of your evolved neighboring Lax kids..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah until he gets laid out a few times in HS and gets aligator arms and is afraid to go near the cage. Having your kid in Football is the best way to prepare him to take the punishment he will experience as he progresses in lax. The youth leagues flag every hit (legal or not) that a kid ends up on the ground. Some kids just aren't tough enough to handle the physical play as they get older and fade away,. No matter how good their stick is or "specialized" they are!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHAT ARE YOU ALL GETTING AT?
Take A chill and dont hate yourself because you were hitting the pipe in high school and now you all wish you could have played sports so you use little johnny as your front..
Come on guys your debates are useless , pointless , and a waste of web-space. You think your gonna get a point across by having a debate on here? read a book? serious? You think the other guy on his laptop is going to say your right? Truth of the matter is the people on here are the clueless individuals like myself who wanna brush up on the lax community scene , and also post like they know what they are talking about, Fact is the people who really are educated on this scene do not need to go on here to do that, and will not post... do you Get it? Your thesis on evolution of a kids maturity in sports is not going to help anyone make the decision what to do for their own kid ! Spend your free time on something more productive for your own community... Plant a tree...or toss the ball around at your school with a few of your evolved neighboring Lax kids..

Take a little of your own advise! This is just for fun to see what other folks are saying.... Doesn't mean anything. Do you really think it matters? You are right about one thing, you are clueless. Lighten up its just mindless banter. Just like lacrosse is game, that should be played for fun. Relax...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It wasnt a pipe it was a BONG!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Getting hit in football gets you prepared for lacrosse is a dumb statement.
Come play in the Oyster Bay League or the Cantiaque League. You are a PAL person. There are leagues that let you play the right way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Getting hit in football gets you prepared for lacrosse is a dumb statement.
Come play in the Oyster Bay League or the Cantiaque League. You are a PAL person. There are leagues that let you play the right way.

Have played in Oyster Bay. There is no difference and to compare it to football is rediculous!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah until he gets laid out a few times in HS and gets aligator arms and is afraid to go near the cage. Having your kid in Football is the best way to prepare him to take the punishment he will experience as he progresses in lax. The youth leagues flag every hit (legal or not) that a kid ends up on the ground. Some kids just aren't tough enough to handle the physical play as they get older and fade away,. No matter how good their stick is or "specialized" they are!!!

Yeah and tell them to lead with their heads too! Such a dumb post.... I'll just set you straight with one example. Now pay attention here this is where it will get difficult for you. Its called the facts. Last years Tawarton award winner, Steele Stanwick, never played a down of football in his life. According to his teammates he can barely bench 135lbs.... By the way he's not the fastest guy either.... Down, set, hut-hut

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Basketball sure, soccer yes, hockey if you can deal with the skates... Swimming always a great choice.... But football, your kidding right.

Youth football is a joke... especially on LI. Half the time the boys don't learn and the coaches are using your kid for their machismo.

Stick with Lax LI... Leave Fb to Texas... Fla... Or Penn. until they realize there is an alternative (in lacrosse).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah and tell them to lead with their heads too! Such a dumb post.... I'll just set you straight with one example. Now pay attention here this is where it will get difficult for you. Its called the facts. Last years Tawarton award winner, Steele Stanwick, never played a down of football in his life. According to his teammates he can barely bench 135lbs.... By the way he's not the fastest guy either.... Down, set, hut-hut

That is one kid! So what! Obviously you don't coach much. i have had many kids who were great at the younger ages with great stick skills that had culture shock when the rules changed and the kids were aloud to hit! I am only saying that football prepares them for the hits they will take as a lax player in HS. If kids are not exposed to any level of contact they sometimes shy away from it and it can effect their game. It is much easier to come around the net if you know you are not getting hit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is one kid! So what! Obviously you don't coach much. i have had many kids who were great at the younger ages with great stick skills that had culture shock when the rules changed and the kids were aloud to hit! I am only saying that football prepares them for the hits they will take as a lax player in HS. If kids are not exposed to any level of contact they sometimes shy away from it and it can effect their game. It is much easier to come around the net if you know you are not getting hit.

the conversation has taken a fork in the road about just football, Mr. Stanwick played Soccer and Basketball in HS, I have no idea at what level but the point being he is probably an excellent athlete and he was not a 12 month a year laxer, Coach Danowski has said that he believes he has NEVER had a kid a duke that was not at least a two sport athlete in HS and most where three sport athletes. On LI you can only get competitive lacrosse in the spring and summer and the fall and winter is mostly games and not 5 day a week practices so most kids can do other sports as well as keeping a stick in their hand, Coach Danowski also stressed the importance of competition, shooting an important foul shot at the end of a varsity playoff game will help tremendously when that same kid is in a pressure situation in lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree the conversation went in a different direction.

But, Many of the boys I know that play lax 10 months out of the year also play other sports. In those other sports' season.

An athlete is an athlete, and plays whatever activity is presented as long as they like it.

Imagine that 10 yr old who wants to play hockey for the first. Look at those committed parents faces as soon as little Johnny (who is ggod at lax) hits the ice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have a hockey and lax kid... plays both year round. Different intensities at different times. He decided out of the blue- he wanted to do travel hockey- knocked our socks off at first- now glad he does both- conditions him all around.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amen,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How come Huntington 5th gets no love? They just put the mercy rule on GCs 1-A team. Only loss this year came to 3V at their place with a few seconds left. Beat all the other 1-A teams in Nassau this year. Clearly, one of the top 5 on the island even if I am biased and parent of a boy on the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So who do you think the top teams in 2019 are.

Why can't top 5 of Suffolk play top 5 Nassau. (but who are they)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top 5 in Nassau PAL
1) 3 Village
2) Huntington
3) Farmingdale
4) Garden City
5) Manhasset

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok Suffolk who are your top 5 5th.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Massapequa

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares it's PAL. What is wrong with you people ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please you and I both know we all want to know.

Why so we can set up competitive games the boys can enjoy and learn from.

Every other youth sport reclassified their teams. Why not youth lacrosse

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some teams like to extend their seasons with teams that will challenge them. Is this not the forum to find out who might be the best challenge.

Why is there always a negative undertone?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Franklin square is on the rise!!!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
franklin Square 3rd Grade PAL is in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Saw that F.Sqr team a few times (bright orange - fits the moteef of LI lax these days)

they are a very good team. Being so left/west of the rest of the island, lets hope they can stick togther.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What about Smithtown, West Islip and Bayshore? Are they in Nassau Pal or are those the top in Suffolk.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
What about Smithtown, West Islip and Bayshore? Are they in Nassau Pal or are those the top in Suffolk.

Smithtown and Bay Shore play Suffolk...West Islip plays Nassau.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello everybody.

I'm looking for the PAL rules on how town programs are required to set up the teams. Unless I overlooked it, team creation in not in the main rule document for PAL.

Is it A/B? Where A & B talent should be evenly distributed? What happens when there are three teams? If A & B are not evenly distributed and it's more skilled players vs less skilled, does PAL require the town hold tryouts?

It's sad that our town is having serious issues with rosters, coach infighting, parents upset about fairness with the younger kids in the program, and authoritarian rule of some on the BOD for the non profit that runs it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello everybody.

I'm looking for the PAL rules on how town programs are required to set up the teams. Unless I overlooked it, team creation in not in the main rule document for PAL.

Is it A/B? Where A & B talent should be evenly distributed? What happens when there are three teams? If A & B are not evenly distributed and it's more skilled players vs less skilled, does PAL require the town hold tryouts?

It's sad that our town is having serious issues with rosters, coach infighting, parents upset about fairness with the younger kids in the program, and authoritarian rule of some on the BOD for the non profit that runs it.

PAL has equal teams for 2nd,3rd and 4th grade. As of last year, they allow for A&B teams for 5th and 6th grade, if the A teams are put in "A" division.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it possible for a town to have two equally divided teams and play them in a lower conference as opposed to creating an A and B team. This is in regrd to a 5th grade program. Our directors don't want to have evaluations and deal with the politics of picking who is on the A or B team so they will have two mixed level teams which benefits no one. The better players cannot learn advanced level plays because there aren't enough good players per team to do it and the players who need to focus on developing the fundamentals don't get the support they need. No win siuation

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard