BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son has an extremely late August birthday. During all of the years that he played travel rec lacrosse (yes, most everyone used to do that), he always had to move up into the next age group before any of his classmates did. Those age groups spanned two years and every other year he was probably the youngest kid out there. We never looked at it as a disadvantage....we looked at it as an opportunity to challenge himself and led him to perceive it the same way. It's absolutely part of what made him better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If USLacrosse really wants to "grow the game" in this country, why can't they make it possible for US fans to watch the playoff games that our national women's team is playing without having to pay to stream them?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If USLacrosse really wants to "grow the game" in this country, why can't they make it possible for US fans to watch the playoff games that our national women's team is playing without having to pay to stream them?

Who cares....that's why. Games are boring and there is no competition. My 9th grade daughter could beat these "international" teams! On the other hand, I would love to see US Lacrosse grow some balls and enforce age-based competition. That's the next step that needs to be done to reduce the joke this sport is becoming.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who cares....that's why. Games are boring and there is no competition. My 9th grade daughter could beat these "international" teams! On the other hand, I would love to see US Lacrosse grow some balls and enforce age-based competition. That's the next step that needs to be done to reduce the joke this sport is becoming.

USL lacrosse is located in Baltimore suburb. Close by the mecca of MIAA schools where prefirsts/holdbacks are abundant. And once again, who cares what they do ( holdback) at MIAA school, but it shouldnt rule youth club lacrosse.
The Youth Clubs that hold many holdbacks and draw the most venom are all located close by.

USL representatives know all the club coaches well. No reason that if they got those clubs ( Crabs, FCA, Looneys,etc,etc) to change to age base all would follow.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why don't you tell us how you really feel???
If your ninth grade daughter is such a boss why do you care about age based play?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
why apologize for continued incompetent US LAX leadership? They are the worst there is. Sport is run by the clubs and as long as you have your useless US LAx membership card that's all they care about. Should have gone to player cards years ago to ensure kids are properly registered, insured,the right age and playing on the right team. How hard is that? US Lax is and remains a joke. That's how I really feel

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
why apologize for continued incompetent US LAX leadership? They are the worst there is. Sport is run by the clubs and as long as you have your useless US LAx membership card that's all they care about. Should have gone to player cards years ago to ensure kids are properly registered, insured,the right age and playing on the right team. How hard is that? US Lax is and remains a joke. That's how I really feel

Agreed 100%. Totally incompetent organization. And people wonder why this sport is a regarded as a joke. I would NEVER contribute one dime to them. They are hypocritical sleaze bags.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed 100%. Totally incompetent organization. And people wonder why this sport is a regarded as a joke. I would NEVER contribute one dime to them. They are hypocritical sleaze bags.

The magazine is PC correct constantly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder if that 8th grade football player down in Mississippi is a hold back. 6'4 and 286 pounds going into 8th grade with scholarship offers from SEC schools.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wonder if that 8th grade football player down in Mississippi is a hold back. 6'4 and 286 pounds going into 8th grade with scholarship offers from SEC schools.

Did you watch Friday Night Tykes. " Big Daddy" wasnt a holdback and was the biggest kid out there. I think he was as big as many adults.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can you tell me where you read or saw where lacrosse is regarded as a joke? I would love to see these references. Thanks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can you tell me where you read or saw where lacrosse is regarded as a joke? I would love to see these references. Thanks

I am sure "joke" was referencing the often discussed problems in youth lacrosse - there are many to be found online; Google is your friend! To be sure, none of them use the word "joke", but the inference in there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Check your sons birthday and how that coincides with the normal grad year=JOKE

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US lax incompetent! They choose not to get it right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Check your sons birthday and how that coincides with the normal grad year=JOKE

Be careful of what you are chasing.... All are welcome, but leave your nads at the door. https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/34858/

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I googled lacrosse is a joke like the poster suggested and the only reference I found was an urban dictionary statement that baseball is cool and lacrosse is for sissys. Thanks that was really helpful. Pretty sure the joke is in you a$$ clown, you post on a lacrosse website to a sport you hate. Spend some time with your kid, maybe he'll stop wearing dresses and talking like a girl. But there's nothing wrong with that! Just saying!! Keep it real LOSER!! Hahahaha

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I googled lacrosse is a joke like the poster suggested and the only reference I found was an urban dictionary statement that baseball is cool and lacrosse is for sissys. Thanks that was really helpful. Pretty sure the joke is in you a$$ clown, you post on a lacrosse website to a sport you hate. Spend some time with your kid, maybe he'll stop wearing dresses and talking like a girl. But there's nothing wrong with that! Just saying!! Keep it real LOSER!! Hahahaha

While most think lacrosse is a great sport.. The majority think that the whole grade based garbage of letting kids play down is a complete joke.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Someone please tell me how does one go about playing down if they say they will PG. What the progression? How is it all outlined? I've had many a conflicting conversation about this. This should be good.

I thought if you are in HS you can't magically lower your grade designation, Sure you can get left back or not finish a grade but that is not the point here.
1. Do you go to a Prep school (Avon / Taft / one of the Philips / Deerfield / TP etc) and say I want to enroll my son?
2. What is the enrollment criteria? (is it $$ and grades and/or Skill gets you in)
3. Do you say I want to enroll him now, or do you say in a year or 2? or do they tell you when?
4. Do they say okay if you come in your son will repeat x grade?
5. Does he continue on his academic progression and you get the benefit of taking other higher level courses strengthening his academic resume?
6. Or does he just repeat classes he already took?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Someone please tell me how does one go about playing down if they say they will PG. What the progression? How is it all outlined? I've had many a conflicting conversation about this. This should be good.

I thought if you are in HS you can't magically lower your grade designation, Sure you can get left back or not finish a grade but that is not the point here.
1. Do you go to a Prep school (Avon / Taft / one of the Philips / Deerfield / TP etc) and say I want to enroll my son?
2. What is the enrollment criteria? (is it $$ and grades and/or Skill gets you in)
3. Do you say I want to enroll him now, or do you say in a year or 2? or do they tell you when?
5. Does he continue on his academic progression and you get the benefit of taking other higher level courses strengthening his academic resume?

Regardless of the answers to the above, when was the last time you or your son or your son's club team was required to provide any proof of his grade for any tournament? For that matter, have you ever heard of a tournament even asking for any information about who is on a roster?? It's the wild west, so you can get away with just about anything you want and have the balls to attempt! There are very few repercussions to that. I was shocked to hear that the Bulldog tournament at Yale this year had banned some teams from last year that had played with players that were 'outside' the divisions' criteria - how oftent have you heard of that happening?!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The answer is this, in regards to travel lacrosse - if you want your kid playing at 2023, and your organization wants him to play at 2023, than it happens. It doesn't matter if he is 13, 14, 24, 43 or 105 years of age. There is no governing body or clearing house that you need to go through to get approval.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They were just kidding. You can't just make up your grade. It's whatever grade you are currently enrolled for all grade based leagues. They were being sarcastic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They were just kidding. You can't just make up your grade. It's whatever grade you are currently enrolled for all grade based leagues. They were being sarcastic.

No, they were not, some said their child will repeat the current grade ( their child was in 80's) others said it is a pre college year (their children were 90's) but without an advanced course load? Does it depend on the needs of the child and what the family wants or does the school steer that ship?

As far as just playing a grade at random tournaments, my son would be recognized. I am having a hard enough time now seriously considering it; I could not do it without the PG being in motion. It is now or never to reclass/PG. If it is going to be done I would want to do it the right way, mainly play at his age, but yes, also squeeze in some games at his future college entrance year. (Only doing this for a spot at the school of his/our choice, the year above is loaded with talent a year separation helps all involved - red/blue shirt 5th year is not an option. I realize "I am changing his stars", and it is only lacrosse but it is a top school academically and athletically. Yes, he would be able to get in on his current year and be rostered but the reclass does set him up a lot better. if the PG program offers AP courses which will better prepare him for the rigors of the next level I say no brainer it is about making the college experience the best it can be in and out of the classroom.

This decision did not come lightly and have 3 family members playing and they all wished they had the options that have been laid out for us.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One question, who will wipe his butt for him when he does (finally) go to college?

Get a grip.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, they were not, some said their child will repeat the current grade ( their child was in 80's) others said it is a pre college year (their children were 90's) but without an advanced course load? Does it depend on the needs of the child and what the family wants or does the school steer that ship?

As far as just playing a grade at random tournaments, my son would be recognized. I am having a hard enough time now seriously considering it; I could not do it without the PG being in motion. It is now or never to reclass/PG. If it is going to be done I would want to do it the right way, mainly play at his age, but yes, also squeeze in some games at his future college entrance year. (Only doing this for a spot at the school of his/our choice, the year above is loaded with talent a year separation helps all involved - red/blue shirt 5th year is not an option. I realize "I am changing his stars", and it is only lacrosse but it is a top school academically and athletically. Yes, he would be able to get in on his current year and be rostered but the reclass does set him up a lot better. if the PG program offers AP courses which will better prepare him for the rigors of the next level I say no brainer it is about making the college experience the best it can be in and out of the classroom.

This decision did not come lightly and have 3 family members playing and they all wished they had the options that have been laid out for us.

I know of boys planning to do a PG year and currently playing the grad year below their actual grade. That's how some people do it. I'm sure private schools are happy to reclass a new student because it makes their school performance look better athletically and academically, when actually it's at least partly because average age of students is older.

Another great way to "set your kid up better" is to have them learn the value of determination and hard work, maybe even with a little struggle/frustration along the way, rather than performing better because they were handed an age advantage. I'm not trying to pick on you or single you out - I know you are not alone - but there is something to be said for being the younger, smaller kid who is not the best at something learning how to work hard and achieve success.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really - checked by whom?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I realize "I am changing his stars", and it is only lacrosse but it is a top school academically and athletically. Yes, he would be able to get in on his current year and be rostered but the reclass does set him up a lot better. if the PG program offers AP courses which will better prepare him for the rigors of the next level I say no brainer it is about making the college experience the best it can be in and out of the classroom.

So let me get this straight, you are pretty well set up in life, perhaps even by your own hard work and success, either way, good for you. But that is not enough. Not only did you get your precious boy into a 'top school academically and athletically' but now you want yet another advantage. Geee-zus, when does it end?

You are what's wrong with the rich and powerful in this country, you can convince yourself to go to almost any extent just to carve out a little bigger advantage for yourself. And the powers that be allow you to get away with it because they are beholden to your funding. Pretty disgusting.

Lemme save you a piece of advice that will save you some time, money, heart ache and frustration. If you have to go to such lengths for your kid to be a success, he isn't working hard enough and the path you are considering does nothing to build his character and work ethic. In fact it provides all sorts of perverse incentives.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One question, who will wipe his butt for him when he does (finally) go to college?

Get a grip.

This is a reality for some. No need to resort to fatuous comments. Maybe open your mind a bit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get a grip.

This is a reality for some. No need to resort to fatuous comments. Maybe open your mind a bit.

The reality is that many people with sons who were not held back are considering it. Many are very good players and would be way above average if held back. . Even anti grade based parents are considering it. Lots of factors go into it..what college does that help get into if any, Does lacrosse really mean that much to your son, etc, etc..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the topic started with the simple "Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!"

I would like to answer that

The Good - any kid that can use anything to his advantage to get into the best college he can get into.

The Bad - parents, kids or coaches that do it for any reason other than getting into a great academic college

The Ugly - People that anonymously expresses their opinion about how another person should raise his kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the topic started with the simple "Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!"

The Good - any kid that can use anything to his advantage to get into the best college he can get into.

The Bad - parents, kids or coaches that do it for any reason other than getting into a great academic college

The Ugly - People that anonymously expresses their opinion about how another person should raise his kids.

What's really ugly is that you and your kid are both cheating weasels

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The above post is beyond stupid. Expressing an opinion that youth sports should be organized by age not grade somehow equates to telling people how to raise their kids????? Their should be an IQ test in order to use the internet.

Again, for the millionth time, from presumably many different anonymous posters - No one cares if you hold your kid back, start him late for kindergarten, have him repeat 8th grade, home school him, or none of the above. Do what is best for your kid. If you feel like this will help him gain entry to an Ivy League school, or better his chances of playing D1 lax, than that is fine. Its just that, in the opinion of many, while he is playing youth sports, his teammates and opponents should all be with a fixed 12 month age window.

There is simply no rational argument for youth sports to be organized by grade and not age. Again, for the people who are slow, this is NOT a complaint against holdbacks - please enroll your kid in whatever grade at school you think is best for him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The above post is beyond stupid. Expressing an opinion that youth sports should be organized by age not grade somehow equates to telling people how to raise their kids????? Their should be an IQ test in order to use the internet.

Again, for the millionth time, from presumably many different anonymous posters - No one cares if you hold your kid back, start him late for kindergarten, have him repeat 8th grade, home school him, or none of the above. Do what is best for your kid. If you feel like this will help him gain entry to an Ivy League school, or better his chances of playing D1 lax, than that is fine. Its just that, in the opinion of many, while he is playing youth sports, his teammates and opponents should all be with a fixed 12 month age window.

There is simply no rational argument for youth sports to be organized by grade and not age. Again, for the people who are slow, this is NOT a complaint against holdbacks - please enroll your kid in whatever grade at school you think is best for him.

All of that said, IF lacrosse decides to be governed by a body that goes to an age-based system, these parents will no longer be able to do what they want, and the sport will be better for it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What's really ugly is that you and your kid are both cheating weasels

Totally agree!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by lax516
After reading through many of these forums over the years the age and reclassification debate consistently comes to dominate so many of the forums. With so many interested in the topic I think its a good time to debate all aspects including the good, the bad, and the ugly.
For purposes of this discussion let's start by setting the ground rules.
1. A player who complies with the US Lacrosse age requirement of Sept 1, but find themselves in a state that has a dec 1 school cutoff is NOT considered a hold back or reclassified if he is in the lower grade. You must even the playing field and for this argument Sept 1 is the most fair way to start.
2. That being said the current class of 2019 should be sept 1, 2000 or later and be u-13 eligible, and the class of 2017 should be sept 1, 1998 or later and would qualify as U-15.
3. This is not to say private schools don't have different requirement, but this is the fairest way to think of it.

The way many think of this is that the age in the younger divisions U-11 and U-13 are important due to safety. Then as you get into recruiting it then becomes an issue of fairness.

Each year at this time early recruiting class is full of reclassified players and this year is no different. There are boys who have left a public school and repeated 9th grade and other who repeated 8th grade in a private school and returned to public school. There are many ways to get this done and these are just two examples. Most of these players who are turning 16 before and or after the sept 1 us lacrosse guideline, reclassify down a year and repeat the recruiting circuit.
Fair? Not Fair? Short Lived until other boys mature? Exploiting the system. Let's have at it.

Seems to be the most talked topic. Let's debate and share opinions further.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by lax516
After reading through many of these forums over the years the age and reclassification debate consistently comes to dominate so many of the forums. With so many interested in the topic I think its a good time to debate all aspects including the good, the bad, and the ugly.
For purposes of this discussion let's start by setting the ground rules.
1. A player who complies with the US Lacrosse age requirement of Sept 1, but find themselves in a state that has a dec 1 school cutoff is NOT considered a hold back or reclassified if he is in the lower grade. You must even the playing field and for this argument Sept 1 is the most fair way to start.
2. That being said the current class of 2019 should be sept 1, 2000 or later and be u-13 eligible, and the class of 2017 should be sept 1, 1998 or later and would qualify as U-15.
3. This is not to say private schools don't have different requirement, but this is the fairest way to think of it.

The way many think of this is that the age in the younger divisions U-11 and U-13 are important due to safety. Then as you get into recruiting it then becomes an issue of fairness.

Each year at this time early recruiting class is full of reclassified players and this year is no different. There are boys who have left a public school and repeated 9th grade and other who repeated 8th grade in a private school and returned to public school. There are many ways to get this done and these are just two examples. Most of these players who are turning 16 before and or after the sept 1 us lacrosse guideline, reclassify down a year and repeat the recruiting circuit.
Fair? Not Fair? Short Lived until other boys mature? Exploiting the system. Let's have at it.

Seems to be the most talked topic. Let's debate and share opinions further.

Just switch to age-based system like EVERY.OTHER.MAJOR.SPORT and the whole discussion goes away, and safety and fairness issues are all covered. There really is no valid argument for grade-based play, and before anyone cites it, the "staus quo" argument isn't an argument.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another vote for age based. It's getting out of hand now. No rules whatsoever!!

Check rosters.

Check birth certificates.

Make it a fair & even playing field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer and hockey have it...why cant lacrosse start..ID cards. Sept 1-Aug 31...only fair way to do this. Start in 4-5 grade on down. cant enforce it with older grades that have established team already. I would love to see it enforced from 8th grade down....Just wait till one boy gets really hurt because of a grade based tournament. I mean really really hurt..Parents will then be on board. Why does a boy have to get hurt really bad before we change this rule. Its about growing the game and getting more kids involved...Not championships for 4-8th grades and T shirts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer and hockey have it...why cant lacrosse start..ID cards. Sept 1-Aug 31...only fair way to do this. Start in 4-5 grade on down. cant enforce it with older grades that have established team already. I would love to see it enforced from 8th grade down....Just wait till one boy gets really hurt because of a grade based tournament. I mean really really hurt..Parents will then be on board. Why does a boy have to get hurt really bad before we change this rule. Its about growing the game and getting more kids involved...Not championships for 4-8th grades and T shirts

Totally agree. It's especially scary when you have kids playing up -- and other kids playing down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The private school parents won’t have a edge and they won’t allow it .until the insurance companies stop insury these tournaments it won’t happen . I agree with you

Like Reply Quote
Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard