Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Main Forum Philadelphia & Vicinity
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 06:48 AM
Girls 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 06:22 AM
Girls 2025-9th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 06:04 AM
Boys 2026-8th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 12:51 AM
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 12:36 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,160
Posts342,060
Members2,466
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Express North at Long Ireland tournament
Anonymous #231216 07/18/17 01:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This absurd.. to me its impossible to,defend having players play down for any reason. I have no dog in the fight but playing down should never be allowed.

You never read that. No one is defending it. The argument was that the parents are more concerned with winning , not the safety of their kids. If they were the child would have been pulled from competition.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

cass&jack #231221 07/18/17 02:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL.. Many are defending it. Ive see multiple comments saying how its ok cause its for charity and it was last minute. Also the old everyone is doing it!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231248 07/18/17 02:44 PM
M
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
M
Originally Posted by meco24
Man that stinks. Personally I can't stand when there are accusations against other players. I'm not naive, but I'm not the type to accuse someone of being older no matter how big/strong/fast/skilled they are. There was just one time in the 50+ games over the last 3+ years that I was convinced someone was too old. And that was back in 1st grade... No matter how much my radar is going off, I keep it to myself and make sure my son doesn't get jilted into believing anyone better than him or his teammates must be older. I won't let that attitude seep into his head. That's what kind of makes me angry. That it's so accepted and prevalent.

That's a very clever way of defending hold backs. Nice try.

I never said they are necessarily better. In fact, many are worse.

huh? I'm not defending holdbacks by any means.

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231252 07/18/17 02:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Valid lessons for this weekend for all the boys out there:

1. Some people don't play by the rules and sometimes that impacts you.
2. If they run faster, play harder, and shoot better they will win the game.
3. If you are mad that you lost improve for the next time.
4. Practice like you are playing don't play practice.
5. Beware of adults with Solo Cups they act different than adults without them.
6. It's not just a game to some people and that's ok.
7. Everyone will bend the rules because the rules apply to everyone else but them.
8. Play hard until the end even if the game is 8-1 because 10-3 is much better than 10-0 even though 10-3 still sucks.
9. Respect your opponent on and off the field shake hands when your done and say good game even if you know in your heart that they are cheating.
10. Respect the refs they really don't give a crap who wins or loses or if they get the calls right. ( See #5 ).
11. What you do on the field doesn't define who you are but how you act on the field and off the field does.

If you have any more you can add to this list lets keep this going so we can really make this a learning experience for the boys like everyone keeps saying

Keep it going BOTC community!!!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231253 07/18/17 02:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This absurd.. to me its impossible to,defend having players play down for any reason. I have no dog in the fight but playing down should never be allowed.

You never read that. No one is defending it. The argument was that the parents are more concerned with winning , not the safety of their kids. If they were the child would have been pulled from competition.

You must not be reading the posts over on the other two boards for recruiting and this topic specifically. The more recent comments there are all about defending, if not outright advocating for holdbacks/reclass/etc.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #231267 07/18/17 03:20 PM
M
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
M

7. Everyone will bend the rules because the rules apply to everyone else but them.
8. Play hard until the end even if the game is 8-1 because 10-3 is much better than 10-0 even though 10-3 still sucks.
9. Respect your opponent on and off the field shake hands when your done and say good game even if you know in your heart that they are cheating.
10. Respect the refs they really don't give a crap who wins or loses or if they get the calls right. ( See #5 ).
11. What you do on the field doesn't define who you are but how you act on the field and off the field does.

If you have any more you can add to this list lets keep this going so we can really make this a learning experience for the boys like everyone keeps saying

Fantastic list!!! Here is one more:
12. Solo Cup accusations should only be used if and only if there were actually drunk parents.

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231270 07/18/17 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kids get better playing against better competition and sometimes playing up. Ltown should just consider that they played up in the championship and their kids improved from it. No one got hurt so get over the loss and move on..

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231281 07/18/17 03:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most boys don't read BOTC (THANK GOD!), so making lists for them here is kind of pointless . . .

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231283 07/18/17 03:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The problem with some of this (the parts that concern rules and following them) is that when young kids see cheating be rewarded and condoned, they learn to cheat themselves. This is exactly NOT what I want my kids to learn. So I wholeheartedly disagreed that we should be teaching 10 year olds that "some people cheat - such is life, deal with it and move on." This is not too different than teaching them cheating is ok.

Instead, kids should be taught that when someone is cheating, good people should do something about it. They will have to learn the nuances of how to do this when they get older, but the core message should be that cheating is not acceptable and they should know that he adults around them (parents, coaches, teammate and friend parents) don't tolerate it.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231313 07/18/17 04:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The problem with some of this (the parts that concern rules and following them) is that when young kids see cheating be rewarded and condoned, they learn to cheat themselves. This is exactly NOT what I want my kids to learn. So I wholeheartedly disagreed that we should be teaching 10 year olds that "some people cheat - such is life, deal with it and move on." This is not too different than teaching them cheating is ok.

Instead, kids should be taught that when someone is cheating, good people should do something about it. They will have to learn the nuances of how to do this when they get older, but the core message should be that cheating is not acceptable and they should know that he adults around them (parents, coaches, teammate and friend parents) don't tolerate it.

Well unless you pulled your son from the game and left you did nothing to impart upon him the importance of playing ny the rules. The problem with the holdback argument is that everyone is waiting for someone else to fix it. Not happening, so be a revolutionary and do it yourself!

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
cass&jack #231315 07/18/17 04:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Add:
Kids should never give up. They need to hard for *every goal or every save* until the very end -even when you are losing by a large amount. It does count in real tournaments in terms of standings with goals against.

Kids should know that cheating isn't "cheating when the rules have been adjusted by the person/people in charge. And if you aren't happy with the situation of a serious disadvantage - handle it like a mature adult. Register a complaint with the Tournament director, contact the Program director of the offending team and contact your own program director. Running off to social media to air your grievances - questionable intent there.

Interesting that as responsible parents, we tell our kids not to take their personal gripes to social media because there is always more to the story and it causes divisiveness and bullying. I guess this was a Do as I say, not as I do situation?

Parents of younger players should know - college coaches are interested in the behavior of the kids on and off the field - and their parents/family play a part on that checklist as well. A black X on the sheet, no matter what column it's in isn't easy to shake. I know you are talking about 3rd graders here, but the time goes quick and it's a small group of lax folks that you run into all the time. The program directors you are slamming on this or any other site/anywhere else could help or hurt your son's chance. You need to be calculated & pick your battles. If your kid is from a whacky family & you get yourself a reputation for causing drama - the college coaches will undoubtedly hear about it. They don't need the drama or your kid at their school no matter how good he/she is.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231325 07/18/17 04:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Add:
Kids should never give up. They need to hard for *every goal or every save* until the very end -even when you are losing by a large amount. It does count in real tournaments in terms of standings with goals against.

Kids should know that cheating isn't "cheating when the rules have been adjusted by the person/people in charge. And if you aren't happy with the situation of a serious disadvantage - handle it like a mature adult. Register a complaint with the Tournament director, contact the Program director of the offending team and contact your own program director. Running off to social media to air your grievances - questionable intent there.

Interesting that as responsible parents, we tell our kids not to take their personal gripes to social media because there is always more to the story and it causes divisiveness and bullying. I guess this was a Do as I say, not as I do situation?

Parents of younger players should know - college coaches are interested in the behavior of the kids on and off the field - and their parents/family play a part on that checklist as well. A black X on the sheet, no matter what column it's in isn't easy to shake. I know you are talking about 3rd graders here, but the time goes quick and it's a small group of lax folks that you run into all the time. The program directors you are slamming on this or any other site/anywhere else could help or hurt your son's chance. You need to be calculated & pick your battles. If your kid is from a whacky family & you get yourself a reputation for causing drama - the college coaches will undoubtedly hear about it. They don't need the drama or your kid at their school no matter how good he/she is.

How do you know that the ONLY way some are addressing the age thing is via social media/BOTC?? You could be doing things elsewhere AND also posting here or elsewhere on social media.

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231334 07/18/17 04:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you back up my point completely The problem with slamming on social media is that no one knows the full story.

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231338 07/18/17 05:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
t

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231340 07/18/17 05:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
don't get the two year age problem really don't see anyone getting pissed when a freshman is asked to play up on a high school team where the age gap could be 2-4 years

Like Reply Quote
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard