Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 06:22 AM
Girls 2025-9th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 06:04 AM
Boys 2026-8th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 12:51 AM
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 12:36 AM
Boys 2023-11th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 12:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,160
Posts342,060
Members2,466
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Express North at Long Ireland tournament
Anonymous #231095 07/18/17 09:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If it was about safety, those of you most concerned would have sat your child and said NO WAY is my kid going out there. I for one would never sacrifice my sons health for a lacrosse game. So those of you spouting off about the dangers of this event, what did you do? If your son played you are a hypocrite, and quite frankly a lousy parent for letting him go out there with the knowledge that his health and wellbeing were in jeapordy. Be honest, It's all about the win, always has been and always will be. Just saying folks!!!

Express coach admitted to having older players toward the end of the championship game. I sure if it was know prior to the start of the game the coaches would have never put them on the field. The Express coach went over to Levittown coaches before the start of the game and wished them luck. That would have been the appropriate time to divulge they were majority of older players. That didn't happen.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #231103 07/18/17 09:57 AM
M
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
M
If it was about safety, those of you most concerned would have sat your child and said NO WAY is my kid going out there. I for one would never sacrifice my sons health for a lacrosse game. So those of you spouting off about the dangers of this event, what did you do? If your son played you are a hypocrite, and quite frankly a lousy parent for letting him go out there with the knowledge that his health and wellbeing were in jeapordy. Be honest, It's all about the win, always has been and always will be. Just saying folks!!!

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the problem was at least 2 of the teams were not notified. Chalk it up to miscommunication. Forgiven as far as I'm concerned at this point. It happened. Learn from it and move on. We've knowingly played older teams in the past. It's a different animal when everyone kids, coaches, parents know what they are up against going in. If the younger ones know they are going up against older kids, they can put the brakes on a little too.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231128 07/18/17 10:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Express coach admitted to having older players toward the end of the championship game. I sure if it was know prior to the start of the game the coaches would have never put them on the field. The Express coach went over to Levittown coaches before the start of the game and wished them luck. That would have been the appropriate time to divulge they were majority of older players. That didn't happen.

Dude, really? You want me to believe not one parent of an opponent knew they were older? Not a single parent complained? I've been around lacrosse for a long time, no one is that naive. It was for the win, I know and you know it. Safety and the well being of kids is secondary to the tshirt. Let's not play the naive game here.

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231134 07/18/17 11:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good point above about not letting your kids play if you were *truly* concerned about safety throughout the game (not just jilted by the fill in decision). I have watched parents pull their 4th grade son out of a very competitive football game (via talking to the coach mid game) because of a safety concern on size difference and aggressiveness of the kid he was being matched up with. The kid pulled out was mortified - but the parents felt they were justified. Further investigation on that particular larger kid -- he did belong in the league and he was just a phenomenal give it all player. Go figure -kids the same age aren't always the same size.

If this thread was really about safety - fine. But come on - it's not. Safety wasn't even discussed until PAGE 6 of this thread. I haven't seen a complaint about aggressive play or a dangerous hit one of the kids received.

Learning experience for all. Communication breakdown happened. Your kids played up against older, more skilled kids and probably learned a thing or two on the field by their experience. No one was hurt - the charity made money. Lessons learned. This thread has run it's course.

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231140 07/18/17 11:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I highly doubt there were any 2024 kids playing in that game. The 2024s were in a 2day/4 game tournament in Sachem. Not exactly around the block by LI standards - especially with weekend traffic.

If you are getting your 2024 information from your kids that were talking on the field - let's not forget - the players sometimes talk smack out there on the field.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
cass&jack #231144 07/18/17 11:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In lacrosse, if you are not playing down, you are playing up. Get used to it. It is the norm. My experience has been that it is most prevalent in the Balt-DC area and in CT/Westchester area but no region is innocent. Not by a long shot.

I hate it and frankly laugh at those pathetic snowflakes that just need to be good at something, even if that means playing younger kids in order to show well.

It will stop when the college coaches stop encouraging it (never happen) or the insurance company that provides coverage for basically all players and teams (via US Lacrosse membership) demands that it stop.

I'd bet on the lawyers before the coaches though I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Thank goodness some poor kid hasn't been severely injured yet, but sadly that is what it might take.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231153 07/18/17 11:55 AM
M
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
M
In lacrosse, if you are not playing down, you are playing up. Get used to it. It is the norm. My experience has been that it is most prevalent in the Balt-DC area and in CT/Westchester area but no region is innocent. Not by a long shot.

I hate it and frankly laugh at those pathetic snowflakes that just need to be good at something, even if that means playing younger kids in order to show well.

It will stop when the college coaches stop encouraging it (never happen) or the insurance company that provides coverage for basically all players and teams (via US Lacrosse membership) demands that it stop.

I'd bet on the lawyers before the coaches though I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Thank goodness some poor kid hasn't been severely injured yet, but sadly that is what it might take.

Man that stinks. Personally I can't stand when there are accusations against other players. I'm not naive, but I'm not the type to accuse someone of being older no matter how big/strong/fast/skilled they are. There was just one time in the 50+ games over the last 3+ years that I was convinced someone was too old. And that was back in 1st grade... No matter how much my radar is going off, I keep it to myself and make sure my son doesn't get jilted into believing anyone better than him or his teammates must be older. I won't let that attitude seep into his head. That's what kind of makes me angry. That it's so accepted and prevalent.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231162 07/18/17 12:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok fellas final thought for everyone here. Bottom line here there was no communication by Express North coaches and the tournament directors (who did know whole time) that's another issue itself. It seems this was hush hush from the start about the older kids. They needed another team for the bracket. This tournament was for a great cause so let's not forget about that 🇺🇸. The directors and EN coaches should have told the other team coaches from the start about the kids. If both parties were straightforward we wouldn't be having this conversation. I can speak for myself that I would rather have my kid play up but NEVER PLAY DOWN. I don't mind when he plays up it will only get him better. Bottom line Express North took the easy route. Hopefully everyone learns from this.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231163 07/18/17 12:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok fellas final thought for everyone here. Bottom line here there was no communication by Express North coaches and the tournament directors (who did know whole time) that's another issue itself. It seems this was hush hush from the start about the older kids. They needed another team for the bracket. This tournament was for a great cause so let's not forget about that 🇺🇸. The directors and EN coaches should have told the other team coaches from the start about the kids. If both parties were straightforward we wouldn't be having this conversation. I can speak for myself that I would rather have my kid play up but NEVER PLAY DOWN. I don't mind when he plays up it will only get him better. Bottom line Express North took the easy route. Hopefully everyone learns from this.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231164 07/18/17 12:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Playing down is big in MA and PA also. Also keep in mind that even if a kid is "on grade" from MA, PA, MA, ect, they are still older than NYers playing "on grade" because of the older calendar year these other states use for their kids. For instance, and "on grade" 2023 team in NY has 11 and 12 year olds. In these other states, it is more like 12-13. You can put NJ in this category as well. "on grade" kids are older.

Westchester is not big on holdbacks. CT much more so. Issue is that certain teams have a mix of CT and Westchester kids so it becomes like a holdback team. A team that has only NY kids is much more likely to be "on grade".

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #231171 07/18/17 12:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Playing down is big in MA and PA also. Also keep in mind that even if a kid is "on grade" from MA, PA, MA, ect, they are still older than NYers playing "on grade" because of the older calendar year these other states use for their kids. For instance, and "on grade" 2023 team in NY has 11 and 12 year olds. In these other states, it is more like 12-13. You can put NJ in this category as well. "on grade" kids are older.

Westchester is not big on holdbacks. CT much more so. Issue is that certain teams have a mix of CT and Westchester kids so it becomes like a holdback team. A team that has only NY kids is much more likely to be "on grade".

Every team our 2021 team plays has at least half the kids playing down (older kids). Why is this instance of Express (for once??) have older kids playing? Give me a break. Laxachussets, HHH, MADlax, Edge, Prime Time, ADVANC, etc etc .......you people can't be serious whining about one time the Express had older kids play down. Go to age based bracketing and enforce it like soccer and football or everyone needs to stop complaining.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #231172 07/18/17 12:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree 3 days now of this nonsense

Not one player was hurt safety was never an issue LiE may have been bigger faster and better players but they were respectful stop the madness stop the commenting move on and enjoy your day life is too short

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231176 07/18/17 12:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unless your Express, 90+1 and Igloo

Like Reply Quote
cass&jack #231205 07/18/17 01:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This absurd.. to me its impossible to,defend having players play down for any reason. I have no dog in the fight but playing down should never be allowed.

Like Reply Quote
meco24 #231214 07/18/17 01:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by meco24
Man that stinks. Personally I can't stand when there are accusations against other players. I'm not naive, but I'm not the type to accuse someone of being older no matter how big/strong/fast/skilled they are. There was just one time in the 50+ games over the last 3+ years that I was convinced someone was too old. And that was back in 1st grade... No matter how much my radar is going off, I keep it to myself and make sure my son doesn't get jilted into believing anyone better than him or his teammates must be older. I won't let that attitude seep into his head. That's what kind of makes me angry. That it's so accepted and prevalent.

That's a very clever way of defending hold backs. Nice try.

I never said they are necessarily better. In fact, many are worse.

Like Reply Quote
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard