BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,715
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 58 1 2 55 56 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am not sure how this whole scholarship thing works but from what I can understand here is what I think.

The 12.6 is based on tuition not the cost of college like football and basketball where the student/athlete gets the full cost of college (tuition, room and board and books) . So even if a lax player got a "full Ride" it would be full tuition.

So a school with a $40,000 tuition and is fully funded would have $504,000 to spend for the entire team per year (based on a 5 year average) so they can go over one year but they have to go under another year to keep the rolling 5 year average at 12.6 x Tuition.

The three types of money available to most students are academic, athletic and need based (besides the various scholarships available) you can combine athletic and academic or need based and academic but you can not combine need based with athletic money.

Depending on the school you can have anywhere from 60 to 90% of all students receiving some money (need or academic or both) and I know of many D1 lacrosse players getting "Full Rides" and what I always took that to mean is that when you add the athletic money and the academic money you get close to equal the amount of tuition. They still have room and board and books that could be around $15,000 depending on the school.

If a lax kid was getting a full cost of college scholarship then it would count almost 1 1/2 of the 12.6 not 1 of the 12.6

The academies are not scholarship by any stretch of the imagination, the cost of going to West Point or Annapolis is far greater then the monetary cost of a non academy.

I would not be shocked if some of my points area off but I think I have the gist of it correct, please correct if I misspoke

Almost positive the 12.6 scholarships is full tuition plus books, room and board. Some colleges use "cost to attend" which is a little bit more than tuition/books/room&board. But, my kid's offers were always presented as a percentage of everything, not just a percentage of tuition. Merit money added on top of athletic money definitely can happen at some schools and can bring a player to getting a "full ride" or close to it. I suppose it's possible some parents say their kid has a full ride because the partial scholarship they get happens to cover all of tuition, leaving them with room and board. We all know that parent who likes to spin things to try to impress people. But, most consider a full ride to be 100% of tuition, book, room and board.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ugh - the term "full ride" was meant to indicate a full athletic scholarship - whether it's football and basketball where it's 'soup to nuts' or lax and other non-revenue sports where it's tuition only, either way it was meant to be indicative of the level of athletic scholarship offered. If you start to conflate academic and other funds offered, you have watered down the term and disparaged every SA that actually got a "full ride", as you've now cheapened them. Words and phrases have meanings - stop changing those to suit your desired viewpoints!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If someone gets a "full athletic scholarship" they also receive an annual "stipend" from the school to pay for incidental small living expenses. I believe this is the case at all NCAA Division 1 schools and it applies to all sports. The stipend varies per school and can be anywhere from 1,500 to 6,000. That is the easiest way to differentiate a full athletic scholarship from any other claim of full scholarship. Next time someone tells you they are getting a "full athletic scholarship" ask them how much the stipend is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stipend??? What school is giving athletes additional money above and beyond tuition, room and board, books which is a full scholarship ?
Giving money for anything other than the above is against NCAA rules. Unless the athletes are working a job for the athletic department they can not receive any money directly written to them for any reason. Money can never go from the school directly to any athlete

Also all athletic scholarships are not guaranteed academic are. Do the work

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
people just making things up...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Before you put your foot in your mouth why don't you google "athletic scholarship stipend". Full scholarship kids actually get money above and beyond full costs (no work required). The rule went into effect a few years ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is all so subjective. Grades, cost of school, athletic ability, position, grad year. So much factors in. You shouldn't worry about or compare your child to their friend or teammate. My daughter stepped down an athletic tier to play for a school that's a great academic fit for her. It made her a top recruit rather than a middle or lower recruit at a top 10 school and it came with a very nice athletic offer (40%) plus a bit of academic dollars too. Freshman year went really well. She did well academically. She also played a lot and put up some really good numbers. We're all looking forward together upcoming year. Don't think about full rides, top recruits, status schools. Look outside the box too.you. At be pleasantly surprised.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stipend??? What school is giving athletes additional money above and beyond tuition, room and board, books which is a full scholarship ?
Giving money for anything other than the above is against NCAA rules. Unless the athletes are working a job for the athletic department they can not receive any money directly written to them for any reason. Money can never go from the school directly to any athlete

The part about the stipend is true. My son has an athletic scholarship for a percentage of the total cost of the school. The total cost includes spending money, It's what they base the award on. Also, you are wrong about it not being guaranteed. My son's athletic scholarship is guaranteed for 4 years. This is in writing on his NLI.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I highly doubt even the top 5 recruits were offered full scholarships it is just not the way it works currently. That does not mean that these players are not getting a full ride they must be able to find other ways to fund the education that do not come from the athletic department. It is true that the math makes full scholarships near impossible and hurt the team. Why would any coach do this? A school works around this with academic, financial, merit, alumni, endowment scholarships. Consider this year's top HS player based on the eye ball test from the UA game: Tehoka Nanticoke. He is currently at IMG. Either his parents are extremely wealthy or they offer a scholarship. Albany has money set aside for a variety of reasons, his application is the first submitted and get's the first approval. This is not a violation in any way of NCAA rules. This is how it works. IVY league schools offer zero in Athletic scholarships yet always find the best Lacrosse Players. Good players use LAX to find the other money that is out there.

Finally someone who understands how it works! Coaches can find money in a variety of different places depending on each kids specific situation

Ok I will spell it out. I know for a fact that there are several women's players receiving Full ATHLETIC scholarships!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The part about the stipend is true. My son has an athletic scholarship for a percentage of the total cost of the school. The total cost includes spending money, It's what they base the award on. Also, you are wrong about it not being guaranteed. My son's athletic scholarship is guaranteed for 4 years. This is in writing on his NLI.

Correct on all accounts. And yes full rides, all inclusive do exist. I feel people who are going through or have been through the process believe they or their kids are the best and if anyone should have been offered it should be them, therefore because their experience they did not see that offer , how can it exist? Whatever you want or need to tell yourself to feel better.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I highly doubt even the top 5 recruits were offered full scholarships it is just not the way it works currently. That does not mean that these players are not getting a full ride they must be able to find other ways to fund the education that do not come from the athletic department. It is true that the math makes full scholarships near impossible and hurt the team. Why would any coach do this? A school works around this with academic, financial, merit, alumni, endowment scholarships. Consider this year's top HS player based on the eye ball test from the UA game: Tehoka Nanticoke. He is currently at IMG. Either his parents are extremely wealthy or they offer a scholarship. Albany has money set aside for a variety of reasons, his application is the first submitted and get's the first approval. This is not a violation in any way of NCAA rules. This is how it works. IVY league schools offer zero in Athletic scholarships yet always find the best Lacrosse Players. Good players use LAX to find the other money that is out there.

Finally someone who understands how it works! Coaches can find money in a variety of different places depending on each kids specific situation

Ok I will spell it out. I know for a fact that there are several women's players receiving Full ATHLETIC scholarships!

Okay, where? I can say I know the Easter Bunny and Santa! where do they go? You can put things in caps all you want, doesn't make it true! Need FACTS, I'm not calling you out, just have not seen anything that points to this anywhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, no one can even name a school! I know a player who plays at a school who gets a full ride. What school? When I say too 100, there are Top 5 recruits in there. Again, not ONE got a full ride. These are players at UVA, PSU, and UNC. Not one of these players got close to a full ride. Closer to 30-40%

What part of this don't you understand? People aren't going to out kids that get full rides. And naming the school may make it easy to guess in many cases.

They do exist. Even if you don't want to believe it. Absolutely very rare. But for the right player at the right school it happens. In most cases, it's not the power schools that are giving them out. The ones i know were to schools more in the 10-25 ranking range.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, no one can even name a school! I know a player who plays at a school who gets a full ride. What school? When I say too 100, there are Top 5 recruits in there. Again, not ONE got a full ride. These are players at UVA, PSU, and UNC. Not one of these players got close to a full ride. Closer to 30-40%

What part of this don't you understand? People aren't going to out kids that get full rides. And naming the school may make it easy to guess in many cases.

They do exist. Even if you don't want to believe it. Absolutely very rare. But for the right player at the right school it happens. In most cases, it's not the power schools that are giving them out. The ones i know were to schools more in the 10-25 ranking range.

Wrong, The ones I am referring are top 1-10 schools. I am not going to name schools or kids.I am just giving information that might be help someone with a kid who might warrant that type of scholarship. Coaches always start lower (why wouldn't they) . Most parents are afraid to push for more. If they really want you,money won't be an issue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wrong, The ones I am referring are top 1-10 schools. I am not going to name schools or kids.I am just giving information that might be help someone with a kid who might warrant that type of scholarship. Coaches always start lower (why wouldn't they) . Most parents are afraid to push for more. If they really want you,money won't be an issue.

If it is a Public school file a FOIL and get the facts not just speculation

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a person who bases his opinions and statements on facts. Without them I have doubts. What part of that don't you understand?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
While a full ride may or may not exist, it does not apply to the masses. Tired of reading just a hand full of people trying to make a case for something that only applies to a small handful of student athletes. Time to move onto a new subject folks. Looking forward to the G8 tourney this weekend. All very good teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I highly doubt even the top 5 recruits were offered full scholarships it is just not the way it works currently. That does not mean that these players are not getting a full ride they must be able to find other ways to fund the education that do not come from the athletic department. It is true that the math makes full scholarships near impossible and hurt the team. Why would any coach do this? A school works around this with academic, financial, merit, alumni, endowment scholarships. Consider this year's top HS player based on the eye ball test from the UA game: Tehoka Nanticoke. He is currently at IMG. Either his parents are extremely
wealthy or they offer a scholarship. Albany has money set aside for a variety of reasons, his application is the first submitted and get's the first approval. This is not a violation in any way of NCAA rules. This is how it works. IVY league schools offer zero in Athletic scholarships yet always find the best Lacrosse Players. Good players use LAX to find the other money that is out there.

Okay, where? I can say I know the Easter Bunny and Santa! where do they go? You can put things in caps all you want, doesn't make it true! Need FACTS, I'm not calling you out, just have not seen anything that points to this anywhere.

Let's see you do it in reverse . Please tell us the name of a player that was a top ten recruit in the country and what school they are at that is giving them less than 75 percent the cost of attendance .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have been around a long time and known some very good players going to big time girl schools like UNC Syracuse and MD and we don't know anybody that got more than 60%. We know a bunch great players that got 30-50%

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I highly doubt even the top 5 recruits were offered full scholarships it is just not the way it works currently. That does not mean that these players are not getting a full ride they must be able to find other ways to fund the education that do not come from the athletic department. It is true that the math makes full scholarships near impossible and hurt the team. Why would any coach do this? A school works around this with academic, financial, merit, alumni, endowment scholarships. Consider this year's top HS player based on the eye ball test from the UA game: Tehoka Nanticoke. He is currently at IMG. Either his parents are extremely
wealthy or they offer a scholarship. Albany has money set aside for a variety of reasons, his application is the first submitted and get's the first approval. This is not a violation in any way of NCAA rules. This is how it works. IVY league schools offer zero in Athletic scholarships yet always find the best Lacrosse Players. Good players use LAX to find the other money that is out there.

Let's see you do it in reverse . Please tell us the name of a player that was a top ten recruit in the country and what school they are at that is giving them less than 75 percent the cost of attendance .

and how about you give your name and what your salary was last year? Why does everyone think other people's personal business should be broadcast on the internet?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I already said I knew a player from PSU and OSU. Both received far less than 75 %. Both received in the range of 30% or less. Both top 10 players from Long Island. As was said not naming kids, looking for a school, cant even get that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

and how about you give your name and what your salary was last year? Why does everyone think other people's personal business should be broadcast on the internet?

I know of one getting 50% and another getting 75%, those are the highest I know of (top 10 recruits)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about all of you grab a beer enjoy the ride your kid is on and shut up

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Even if everyone agrees that yes, in fact there are some sort of full ride or close to it for a very select few.
Ok? now, the reality remains the same. its for very, very few . The yapping that know nothings attach to this concept is the silly part. just because they may exist it doesn't mean that because your child may be on a top lacrosse club and / or highly ranked school program you one of those chosen. The type who gets the most money is quite exceptional and its readily apparent when they are on even a weak squad.... gently saying you will be paying. More reality.... even many of the best players on top h.s. programs very often have an extremely difficult time getting playing time in college. that goes for D1, 2, or 3.

if you dare....ask around...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Even if everyone agrees that yes, in fact there are some sort of full ride or close to it for a very select few.
Ok? now, the reality remains the same. its for very, very few . The yapping that know nothings attach to this concept is the silly part. just because they may exist it doesn't mean that because your child may be on a top lacrosse club and / or highly ranked school program you one of those chosen. The type who gets the most money is quite exceptional and its readily apparent when they are on even a weak squad.... gently saying you will be paying. More reality.... even many of the best players on top h.s. programs very often have an extremely difficult time getting playing time in college. that goes for D1, 2, or 3.

if you dare....ask around...

That's the point I made when this started days ago - the number getting a full athletic scholarship for lax is damn close to zero for all intents and purposes. And applied to the small population on this board, that means it woudl apply to almost no one here, yet there are numerous claims to the contrary, personal or knowledge thereof, which I why I call BS on most, if not all of them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"and how about you give your name and what your salary was last year? Why does everyone think other people's personal business should be broadcast on the internet?"

That's exactly the point , just because we know people who have a full athletic ride does not mean we are willing to name them . It's rare but on the girls side it does happen .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I already said I knew a player from PSU and OSU. Both received far less than 75 %. Both received in the range of 30% or less. Both top 10 players from Long Island. As was said not naming kids, looking for a school, cant even get that.

One kid from LI is getting 70% there and the top superstar 10th grader I heard 80%

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bet K Miller is getting a full ride or close to it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One kid from LI is getting 70% there and the top superstar 10th grader I heard 80%

So the second one you mentioned is the best offensive player in the country in his year, yes?

And he's only getting 80% to play for a so-so team, one that's only made the playoffs three times in its entire history. I imagine they guaranteed the money for all four years?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So the second one you mentioned is the best offensive player in the country in his year, yes?

And he's only getting 80% to play for a so-so team, one that's only made the playoffs three times in its entire history. I imagine they guaranteed the money for all four years?

Big Ten guarantees all scholarships for four years. I would not consider a top 10 team so-so team. You don't really seem like you have a good grasp on college lax or the recruiting process in general.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great, unknown speculation for mystery players at mystery universities. Thanks for proving my point for me. Hold on, I hear sleigh bells, have to go outside to see if it's..................................

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bet K Miller is getting a full ride or close to it.

A couple other girls are getting full rides from LI. from MC and Mt. Sinai

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Big Ten now guarantees all scholarships for 4 years, Part of the Northwestern football unionization negotiations.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Big Ten guarantees 4 years "as long as athletes maintain good standing in school, within the athletic department and in the community."

You have a bad attitude, you are not putting the time in, etc.

There is nothing guaranteed about that...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You heard! Exactly, no basis in fact. Third party statement. No one has proven a single fact to prove these huge sums of supposed money. Most won't even offer a school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You heard! Exactly, no basis in fact. Third party statement. No one has proven a single fact to prove these huge sums of supposed money. Most won't even offer a school.

It sounds like the only proof that would be satisfactory for you would be the actual financial statement for the SA from the school - anything less than that is going to be a third party statement, unless the actual parent posts. Even then, this is an anonymous board, so how is that going to happen. You are essentially asking for the impossible in that regard. Even if someone were to post an SA's name and/or school, how can you validate that what they said is true or not. And, FTR, I think most if not all lax SAs are getting very little money relative to overall tuition costs - I am just pointing out your ridiculous standards for requested proof on an anonymous board.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
why not just call the A.D. at one of those colleges?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are no guarantees with Athletic scholarships. Been through it with my son and two nephews who all played D1.(Fairfield, OSU and Georgetown ) Kids who did not perform were cut in their third and second years and lost their athletic money. Told my last son to get great grades because if you stop playing lax in college academic money does not go away.

It sounds like the only proof that would be satisfactory for you would be the actual financial statement for the SA from the school - anything less than that is going to be a third party statement, unless the actual parent posts. Even then, this is an anonymous board, so how is that going to happen. You are essentially asking for the impossible in that regard. Even if someone were to post an SA's name and/or school, how can you validate that what they said is true or not. And, FTR, I think most if not all lax SAs are getting very little money relative to overall tuition costs - I am just pointing out your ridiculous standards for requested proof on an anonymous board.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just my 2 cents if you are the top recruit at your position, not talking about top 20 recruits. Most schools will try too give u money that matches a state school. So my kid school was around 57,000 a year the cost for him was around 25,000 a year so more then half over 4 years. I know other kids got zero.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So true. Even when the scholarship is lost, does the student stilll want o be at that school? I see a lot of transfers happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a pretty good player that plays D, but is not a great player and is getting $5,000 to attend a mid level D1 school that costs $46,000. HC told us some kids get nothing! I know of another kid that plays D and will be attending a comparable mid level D1 school. He was offered nothing from two schools of which the other school was a Big Ten school.
I also know a top 50 kid (middie) commited to a top 5 program and he was only offered 25%. With an average roster size of 45 kids, 12.6 scholarships would equate to .28 scholarships per kid. So for every kid that is getting 50% there is a kid that is getting little to nothing. For the elite kid that is a rarity and getting 75% - there are two kids getting little to nothing. In hindsight - spend the money on tutors! But it has been fun and enjoy the ride! Only a select few get to move on to play at the next level. 71 D1 teams x 45 kids = 3,195 D1 players approximately in this great land of ours!

Like Reply Quote
Page 57 of 58 1 2 55 56 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard