BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,254
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 84 of 327 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I have a question. At what age group does talent win out over favoritism toward a lesser talented kid who has connections? Will it ever? Please be respectful just curious. Open to any travel club cause i'm sure it gous on all over. Thanks in advance.
We will offer you some personal observations on this topic albeit from a long term club/elite level coaching experience.

Up until our girls team was a U/12 squad, we kept the group together as a largely town entity. When the team was U/13, an interesting twist had taken place. About half of the team was a premier caliber group and about half the team was a solid, albeit not terribly committed, club (town) team.

During the transition from U/13 to U/14, our coaching staff needed to make the decision as to whether to follow the town approach (and lose the upper half of the team to other top level programs) or move into the premier ranks and make some serious roster changes at our next tryouts.

Based on the fact that the coaches chose to move down the premier league path, some serious cuts were made after the U/13 season and those roster positions were filled with other, and yes, better, players.

We arranged for every cut player to play with our "B" team or if that was not their desired path of action, we made calls to their desired club (since we knew most of the other coaches involved).

Long story for a short answer : the transition takes place in that U/13 to U/14 season.

Cage great insight.

How long ago were your girls u/12. I have seen both the boys and girls scene change dramatically the past 6 years and the age seems to be lower and lower each year.

my family ranges
girls: from 1st year college not playing to 3rd grade
Boys: out of college to 4th grade

In watching the girls younger grades some of these towns have skill for their age. Current 4th graders are doing now what 8th graders did 5 years ago (and their 5th grade teams are a step ahead of that).

but since the question was favortism over talent I would agree at 12 or 13 you must let the girls and families know where they stand. You helping find another program is great to hear and the way it should be if you were truly their coach and mentor. You cant call yourself a coach if you just leave a player you coached for years without options. (a quality lost on youth coaches these days who are looking for the best for their child).

We must remember, if a player has a passion to play they is always a place for them to play.

All of this doesnt minimize the fact of how hard this must have been to do. I dont envy you or anyone in that spot.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a question. At what age group does talent win out over favoritism toward a lesser talented kid who has connections? Will it ever? Please be respectful just curious. Open to any travel club cause i'm sure it gous on all over. Thanks in advance.

In the eyes of a parent, never, because they almost always view their kids as better than they actually are. I think parents blame political connections for their kid's failure to make a team at a rate exponentially higher than it actually occurs....it's always easier to blame someone else.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In the eyes of a parent, never, because they almost always view their kids as better than they actually are. I think parents blame political connections for their kid's failure to make a team at a rate exponentially higher than it actually occurs....it's always easier to blame someone else.

You are assuming that this sentiment comes from disgruntled parents who's kid didn't make the team. To give you another perspective, many people believe the politics exsist and their kids are the strong core of the team and wonder why weak kids get picked up or remain on teams. Politics do exist and evryone can see them in action on just about every team, not just outcasted player's parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So true.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manhasset has, and still, has players that play for other clubs. Like her or not, coach Gallagher is one of the best ,and most respected in the sport as is coach Rose. But in all fairness I have no knowlege of a North Port player playing for another club. Thats not saying there are ,or not threats, vocally or or unspoken. What I do think is that if coach Chapman decides to start a G.C. travel team it will be Y.J. that gets hurt seeing as they have the lion share of G.C. girls.

This is the first statement I see about Chapman starting her own club and of course they bring yj into the discussion.If you do not think that many of you YJ haters only want her to start her own club for any other reason besides shrinking the YJ talent pool is naive.She sounds like a fantastic coach and possibly has not started her own club for the exact reasons so many of you go after the other coaches in that she does not want her reputation to be questioned with the pay to play club.

Last night at Indoor League in Brentwood, my daughter's team played the Northport 2 team. One girl on the Northport team had on a Northport pinney. Every other girl had on YJ full uniforms. You are not allowed to play for another program if you want to play for Northport.

or is it possible she forgot her YJ pinky??? They may have been all she had in her bag..it happens!! Just a thought.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great job talking to yourself post to post!!!!are you for real????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manhasset has, and still, has players that play for other clubs. Like her or not, coach Gallagher is one of the best ,and most respected in the sport as is coach Rose. But in all fairness I have no knowlege of a North Port player playing for another club. Thats not saying there are ,or not threats, vocally or or unspoken. What I do think is that if coach Chapman decides to start a G.C. travel team it will be Y.J. that gets hurt seeing as they have the lion share of G.C. girls.

This is the first statement I see about Chapman starting her own club and of course they bring yj into the discussion.If you do not think that many of you YJ haters only want her to start her own club for any other reason besides shrinking the YJ talent pool is naive.She sounds like a fantastic coach and possibly has not started her own club for the exact reasons so many of you go after the other coaches in that she does not want her reputation to be questioned with the pay to play club.

Last night at Indoor League in Brentwood, my daughter's team played the Northport 2 team. One girl on the Northport team had on a Northport pinney. Every other girl had on YJ full uniforms. You are not allowed to play for another program if you want to play for Northport.

I'm tellin"!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ pool is shrinking. there younger teams are not nearly as talented as older teams at same age. starts with 2016 and younger. just watch.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ pool is shrinking. there younger teams are not nearly as talented as older teams at same age. starts with 2016 and younger. just watch.

What are you talking about? There? Can you explain in english.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

True, if your cusin is good doesnt mean you are. Politics will ruin the club.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2021 2
2020 5
2019 4.5
2018 4
2017 4
2016 4.5
2015 4
2014 4

Thats a lot off teams! Look stronger than ever

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why don't you tell us which club you are affiliated with and I will mention a few of your top players who left your club to join YJ. Keep drinking your TG cool aide, will be so nice when the most important years for recruiting are spent with no coaching from SS due to NCAA regulations. Even better tell us which years your club has a better team, ...that's what I thought ,zero.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ has issues but when you say their pool is shrinking you really look like a moron.Actually the opposite is what the problem is, too many kids ,too many teams,some top teams with 27 kids is ridiculous.Yes politics is bad with some teams but which club does not have politics.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
politics will ruin club is correct. many talented girls were left on lesser teams, and girls that should'nt have been promoted were. if you don't correct this soon you will see an exodus of talented girls. and the other teams that are real close or equal now, will soon be better. wake up yj's, it's not too late.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do D & E teams subsidize Blue teams?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do D & E teams subsidize Blue teams?

no, b does

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your missing the point they already ran and went to YJ where they are very happy!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your missing the point they already ran and went to YJ where they are very happy!

780 kids made a team, feel bad for the 2-3 girls at each age group who were cut - you really couldn't find room for a couple of more players for each age group? Rosters only average 26-27 players what's one more? Can't everyone be elite?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't you have anything better to do than count all the YJ kids. So jealous it's actually pathetic. The kids must like being YJ and it's killing you. Have a good night go count some sheep

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't you have anything better to do than count all the YJ kids. So jealous it's actually pathetic. The kids must like being YJ and it's killing you. Have a good night go count some sheep

I guess your one of the 780 elite players - congrats!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

780 kids made a team, feel bad for the 2-3 girls at each age group who were cut - you really couldn't find room for a couple of more players for each age group? Rosters only average 26-27 players what's one more? Can't everyone be elite?

Don't feel bad next year they will tryout for your daughters club and take your daughters roster spot while your club waits months to post their rosters hoping they send in their checks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately, there are politics involved, but you have to learn to deal with it. Crying about it won't help. It just makes it worse and makes you look like a sore loser. It's sad that the kids have to learn this at such a young age, but it is one of life’s lessons. My daughter was passed up to make room for someone else’s friend and relative, who were not as talented as my daughter. It hurt at first, but we moved on and she's doing fine. This experience has made her a stronger person and a better player. I actually feel bad for the kid who is on a team they shouldn't be on. She will always be looked upon by her teammates and their parents as the charity case and the weak link. I wouldn't want my kid to have that label.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately, there are politics involved, but you have to learn to deal with it. Crying about it won't help. It just makes it worse and makes you look like a sore loser. It's sad that the kids have to learn this at such a young age, but it is one of life’s lessons. My daughter was passed up to make room for someone else’s friend and relative, who were not as talented as my daughter. It hurt at first, but we moved on and she's doing fine. This experience has made her a stronger person and a better player. I actually feel bad for the kid who is on a team they shouldn't be on. She will always be looked upon by her teammates and their parents as the charity case and the weak link. I wouldn't want my kid to have that label.

Thanks for confirming what we all know that YJ's are all about their own kid and labeling weaker ones.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear the Bee. Not all kids want to play on the YJ's. Their parents make them play and once they are there they stay out of fear.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fear the Bee. Not all kids want to play on the YJ's. Their parents make them play and once they are there they stay out of fear.

Well looks like many want to be there! Kids learn a lot and are having a great time. That's why they have so many teams. Otherwise they would leave but you can't knock their success over the past 12 years. They are strong throughout and just got stronger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The YJ website says "800+" girls tried out for their teams. Not including the alternates, I counted about 770 girls who were given roster spots (to the poster above, I'm good at math so it didn't take too long). This is not a knock on any of the girls, but how can any program in any sport call itself "Elite" when 90-95% of the athletes who try out make a team? Can you say money grab?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your post is spot on - the one mosy adversely affected is the kid who everyone knows doesn't belong there. There are actually HS teams that have no-cut policies (CSH for example) and the rest of the team makes it so uncomfortable for the weaker players that they eventualy just stop playing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I understand ur disappointment but sometimes parents have a hard time evaluating there own child. I know I do so maybe she is exactly where she belongs and enjoy it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter made YJ for the first time and is in the 2019 group. The roster didn't have any team colors, just the coach’s name. What team is the best and what team is the worst.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter made YJ for the first time and is in the 2019 group. The roster didn't have any team colors, just the coach’s name. What team is the best and what team is the worst.

I could be wrong, but based on the few girls I know who play I believe the coaches are listed in A,B,C,D order here - just have to match the coach's name to the rosters page:

http://www.eteamz.com/LIEliteLacros...60608&cat=227355&subsite=2055935

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I actually feel bad for the kid who is on a team they shouldn't be on. She will always be looked upon by her teammates and their parents as the charity case and the weak link. I wouldn't want my kid to have that label.

Your post is spot on - the one mosy adversely affected is the kid who everyone knows doesn't belong there. There are actually HS teams that have no-cut policies (CSH for example) and the rest of the team makes it so uncomfortable for the weaker players that they eventualy just stop playing.

Sounds like nice girls at CSH. Wouldnt want there so called friends to be able to participate in a HS activity they love even if they know playing time will be hard to come by. Oh bt the way they play in the bottom LI conference don't they? You people are ruthless

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Starting off on a bad foot no bad teams just where coaches thought they fit best

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I understand ur disappointment but sometimes parents have a hard time evaluating there own child. I know I do so maybe she is exactly where she belongs and enjoy it

You’re absolutely right. Although I was angry when she was dropped, I felt that the move was justified. It was the politics involved in the selection process that bothered me. She's happy with the team she's with now and that's all that matters.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I could be wrong, but based on the few girls I know who play I believe the coaches are listed in A,B,C,D order here - just have to match the coach's name to the rosters page:

Is there a big difference betwen the talent on the teams? For example how much better is 'A' than 'B' or 'C' than 'D'

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They don't have team colors anymore.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The YJ website says "800+" girls tried out for their teams. Not including the alternates, I counted about 770 girls who were given roster spots (to the poster above, I'm good at math so it didn't take too long). This is not a knock on any of the girls, but how can any program in any sport call itself "Elite" when 90-95% of the athletes who try out make a team? Can you say money grab?

Out of the $600 fee, how much does CR keep? Your talking $462,000 total. That's alot of dough.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Is there a big difference betwen the talent on the teams? For example how much better is 'A' than 'B' or 'C' than 'D'
This question appears often in a variety of threads here on BOTC and the answer depends on the prism through which you look at the problem.

Let's say that there are 20 players per team and the players are ranked so that Team A has players #1 to #20, Team B has players #21 to #40, and so forth.

Now, if you compare Team A with Team B by looking at Player #20 versus Player #21, the teams are identical. In fact, it is likely that Team B's Player #21 could take some minutes on Team A is place of Player #20.

However, on average, Team A averages players with a ranking of 10 while Team B averages players with a ranking of 30. So while the best of Team B can play competitively with Team A, the numbers tell you that Team A on the whole will be composed of higher talent players than Team B.

To your question, there tends to be a few truly outstanding players in the Team A rankings which further skews the differences between Teams A and B.

As the move further down the curve, the differences become less noticable although they are still present.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well for the younger kids get ready to be frustrated beyond belief. some can't run and cradle let alone catch the ball. but the best part is when they run all the way up the field, not once looking to pass because mommy or daddy tells them it's probably the best way to get noticed. so sad. if this is a repeat of last year were gone. let me answer your response now. yes we will be happy somewhere else.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Out of the $600 fee, how much does CR keep? Your talking $462,000 total. That's alot of dough.
To answer the orginal posting here, the term "Elite" is generally used to refer to the top team within a particular club (similar to the "premier" or "academy" label in the soccer world). The programs in which you find truly "Elite" teams can often trade on that name and bring along "B" or "C" teams to top level recruiting or tournament events. This is one benefit of being part of a larger academy style organization. The downside of course is the constant competition for positions on rosters and that an "A" team player can be moved at any point in the future.

The second part of the question talks about "the take" associated with the deposits and the overall program. Make no mistake that the Yellow Jackets is a million-dollar operation annually and that the revenue stream, although not publicly disclosed as with FOIL information, throws off a solid gross and net margin. The one thing that you can always calculate is the overall operating budget as you have done in this post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
This question appears often in a variety of threads here on BOTC and the answer depends on the prism through which you look at the problem.

Let's say that there are 20 players per team and the players are ranked so that Team A has players #1 to #20, Team B has players #21 to #40, and so forth.

Now, if you compare Team A with Team B by looking at Player #20 versus Player #21, the teams are identical. In fact, it is likely that Team B's Player #21 could take some minutes on Team A is place of Player #20.

However, on average, Team A averages players with a ranking of 10 while Team B averages players with a ranking of 30. So while the best of Team B can play competitively with Team A, the numbers tell you that Team A on the whole will be composed of higher talent players than Team B.

To your question, there tends to be a few truly outstanding players in the Team A rankings which further skews the differences between Teams A and B.

As the move further down the curve, the differences become less noticable although they are still present.

How does that work out during the recruiting years? Do schools look at all teams or just the 'A' team?

Like Reply Quote
Page 84 of 327 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard