BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Tryouts
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can anyone tell me what igloo cost. Per year???

Wouldn't it be easier to go to their website you will get all that information plus what it covers.

Didn't see it that's why I asked

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anyone know how true blue made out did they do the 2 teams

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What age group?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2023 age group

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
heard recon 2023 picked up some new kids, should be a very solid team.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am fairly sure TB 2023 does have two teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a new parent to the game (parent of a 6th grader) I hopefully have one simple question that can be answered. Why are tryouts so early? I understand most teams are year round now so maybe they want to have teams for fall ball but the reality is -- at 6th, 7th and 8th grade these boys and girls can grow and gain tremendous size and speed over the course of 10 months. From what I have seen some of the summer tourneys ended in July and the summer teams started in June. Having tryouts in August/Sept for the following summer when kids will basically be 10 months older seems silly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a new parent to the game (parent of a 6th grader) I hopefully have one simple question that can be answered. Why are tryouts so early? I understand most teams are year round now so maybe they want to have teams for fall ball but the reality is -- at 6th, 7th and 8th grade these boys and girls can grow and gain tremendous size and speed over the course of 10 months. From what I have seen some of the summer tourneys ended in July and the summer teams started in June. Having tryouts in August/Sept for the following summer when kids will basically be 10 months older seems silly.

Hey play FALL tournaments in a few weeks... You'll catch on

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son is already practicing with his 2017 team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Every year teams recruit kids that end up getting left behind because they haven't developed over the season, and other players who made the team as a backup becomes a star because they grew 6" and picked up more speed and ability than the rest. But as stated, practices already started, and many teams will do fall tournaments and winter training. The issue that I have is that these interfere with fall sports, and every college coach agrees that they want kids that play in more than one sport.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Every year teams recruit kids that end up getting left behind because they haven't developed over the season, and other players who made the team as a backup becomes a star because they grew 6" and picked up more speed and ability than the rest. But as stated, practices already started, and many teams will do fall tournaments and winter training. The issue that I have is that these interfere with fall sports, and every college coach agrees that they want kids that play in more than one sport.

Best sport for any lax player is basketball and the winter still has box but it's a great season to play another sport and basketball and lacrosse really help each other's game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Basketball is good, but every lacrosse coach worth his salt will tell you the best sport to play is football. the physicality of the game goes a long way, basketball is great if kids work on the proper footwork, also the team work of moving the ball, also picks... so many kids dont know how to throw or spot a pick.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Best sport for any lax player is basketball and the winter still has box but it's a great season to play another sport and basketball and lacrosse really help each other's game.

Nothing wrong with playing other sports. THey SHOULD. But as you get to a higher level of lacrosse he should not play for multiple sport A travel teams. Unless you want to burn your son out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Basketball is good, but every lacrosse coach worth his salt will tell you the best sport to play is football. the physicality of the game goes a long way, basketball is great if kids work on the proper footwork, also the team work of moving the ball, also picks... so many kids dont know how to throw or spot a pick.

No the best sport for anyone to do is wrestling. Nothing prepares you better for life than wrestling. The physical and more importantly mental toughness it takes to wrestle is second to none. Wrestlers develop a balance and explosiveness that is not obtained in other sports. One of the best strength and conditioning programs out there is wrestling.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it is the other way around multiple sports keeps a kid from burning out. when a kid plays one sport it becomes a job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No the best sport for anyone to do is wrestling. Nothing prepares you better for life than wrestling. The physical and more importantly mental toughness it takes to wrestle is second to none. Wrestlers develop a balance and explosiveness that is not obtained in other sports. One of the best strength and conditioning programs out there is wrestling.

while all sports are good to play the best one by far to help with lacrosse or any other sport for that matter is ice hockey. It is very much like lacrosse but by far it is the hardest sport to play. that's why many kids dont play and also because it is the most expensive out of all of them. The quickness,physicality,skill,IQ by far is the best for the kids. Oh and it is a team sport which helps as well you have to move the puck b fore you get killed out there just like lacrosse. There are so many similarities with these sports that all it does is help.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

while all sports are good to play the best one by far to help with lacrosse or any other sport for that matter is ice hockey. It is very much like lacrosse but by far it is the hardest sport to play. that's why many kids dont play and also because it is the most expensive out of all of them. The quickness,physicality,skill,IQ by far is the best for the kids. Oh and it is a team sport which helps as well you have to move the puck b fore you get killed out there just like lacrosse. There are so many similarities with these sports that all it does is help.

Basketball is better

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most college football and lacrosse coaches love kids who wrestle. The ones that wrestle all year round and cut tremendous amounts of weight usually just wrestle. But the multi sport athlete that wrestles in the winter is very attractive to football and lacrosse recruiters.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer is the most complimentary sport to lacrosse. Field event, involving a lot of running and moving towards the net with a ball. Wrestling is a great overall sport, but relevance to lacrosse is minimal, basketball is played on a much smaller wood floor, ice hockey is well..played on ice. So overall it's soccer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, S&*T, what was I thinking having my daughter join the bowling and fencing teams to get ready for Lax season?....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are people steering away from travel teams ? Im seeing more and more town teams making there own travel teams at a fraction of the cost. Are people starting to wake up and not pay $2,500 plus ZuF3CBfor a B team and still losing at tournaments ? Some crap product travel teams are putting out on the field and losing. Yes I did travel 1 year drank the cool aid and the team was not that good. What do some of you think ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are people steering away from travel teams ? Im seeing more and more town teams making there own travel teams at a fraction of the cost. Are people starting to wake up and not pay $2,500 plus ZuF3CBfor a B team and still losing at tournaments ? Some crap product travel teams are putting out on the field and losing. Yes I did travel 1 year drank the cool aid and the team was not that good. What do some of you think ?

You did travel? How long did you have to save up your allowance?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your child is good, they will always find a place to play in college. Athletes are athletes. Our HS has put out a more than a handful of girls into mid to low D1 without ever playing club travel ball EVER.

Now travel makes the road easier and the big clubs the easiest because lazy college coaches give them the most looks. As this year illustrated again, if you aren't playing at a top 10 lacrosse college its all about the same because the talent level falls off a cliff.

Do it because you and your child enjoy the game and the travel involved because the ROI is terrible relative to academics. 100% of kids can qualify for academic money while the national average of HS varsity players receiving ANY athletic money is around 1.8%. Enjoy the ride sadly it goes by really quick

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see a lot of towns like west islip , 3 village, smith town, Sachem and RVC doing and beating up on travel teams .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer is the most complimentary sport to lacrosse. Field event, involving a lot of running and moving towards the net with a ball. Wrestling is a great overall sport, but relevance to lacrosse is minimal, basketball is played on a much smaller wood floor, ice hockey is well..played on ice. So overall it's soccer.

Basketball is defiantly most similar. Kids that excel at Bball usually also do at Lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Basketball is defiantly most similar. Kids that excel at Bball usually also do at Lax.

I do like BB is one of the better sports to play to compliment Lacrosse. You really cant go wrong playing another sport as all offer some good things to take to lacrosse. Some may even feel like lacrosse offers some good things to take to the main sport they play!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you live in a town that has enough athletes capable of AND interested in playing tournament lax, then maybe. But realize there are many more towns, particularly in Nassau, that do not have the numbers to do that. And once you go the route of SYAG, you are no longer a town team - you are a travel team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see a lot of towns like west islip , 3 village, smith town, Sachem and RVC doing and beating up on travel teams .

What travel teams are these town teams beating up on?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What travel teams are these town teams beating up on?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How Is Shore 2 Shores 2023 lacrosse team in comparison to other top LI club teams?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How Is Shore 2 Shores 2023 lacrosse team in comparison to other top LI club teams?

Very good & competitive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
S2S is a coaches pet team. The coaches have their son and their son's friends on the team. The invite other friends to come and "practice" with them It is a tryout without being called a tryout. From time to time they extend invites to the "friends" they feel are worthy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you live in a town that has enough athletes capable of AND interested in playing tournament lax, then maybe. But realize there are many more towns, particularly in Nassau, that do not have the numbers to do that. And once you go the route of SYAG, you are no longer a town team - you are a travel team.

Most Nassau PAL clubs are shrinking and registering in 2 year age groups (3rd/4th, 5th/6th etc) so finding a group to go travel on age is going to be tough. I think Farmingdale tries to do it. Even travel is shrinking pretty quickly. Just look at the younger ages of YJ's the biggest club. They are at 2 teams in the younger ages down from FIVE just a couple of years ago

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WI boys 2025 tried it this year and didn't do so well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
S2S is a coaches pet team. The coaches have their son and their son's friends on the team. The invite other friends to come and "practice" with them It is a tryout without being called a tryout. From time to time they extend invites to the "friends" they feel are worthy

But they are still a very good team, a top team, can play with anyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team has taken a step back this year. Losing to SYAG was sign of the decline.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most Nassau PAL clubs are shrinking and registering in 2 year age groups (3rd/4th, 5th/6th etc) so finding a group to go travel on age is going to be tough. I think Farmingdale tries to do it. Even travel is shrinking pretty quickly. Just look at the younger ages of YJ's the biggest club. They are at 2 teams in the younger ages down from FIVE just a couple of years ago

I don't think travel is shrinking - I think there are more clubs so the numbers are just spread amongst more organizations.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't think travel is shrinking - I think there are more clubs so the numbers are just spread amongst more organizations.

On LI it has to be down almost 30% vs 3 years ago

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On LI it has to be down almost 30% vs 3 years ago

Maybe people realize that its not automatic for little Timmy to get a scholarship just becuase he played travel lacrosse. And that its a killer to travel to MD and other places. Family killer. Time killer. Wallet killer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are fewer kids period. All sports are down about 30% now. That is why Suffolk PAL football got rid of the weight limit. My town only has 1 team per age group in Lax, and that isn't enough kids to compete competitively. Plus when your best 2 or 3 kids make an A team, you are left with B & C players, so who wants to enter a team like that into a tournament?

Like Reply Quote
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard