BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Transparency, please do not tell fairy tales.
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
All of us in the girls travel lacrosse world have many similarities whether you are from YJ, TG, Liberty etc.....

We all spend a substantial amount of money throughout the year on club fees, training, tournaments, lodging, dining and the list goes on.  

As a second year parent with our travel program in the 2017 age group, I have some questions, concerns and thoughts. Perhaps some parents with actual experience, 2014 and older, can share their ACTUAL EXPERIENCES. 

We all strive to raise good kids, have them get good (hopefully excellent) grades and perform well on the lacrosse field. They are not all destined for the top D1 athletic programs, so where do the majority of them end up?

We can all go to our clubs website and see how we all boast which colleges the girls are committing to. We all listen intently to other parents regarding all the emails the older girls are getting from numerous college coaches that are interested in offering a spot on their roster.

I would like to suggest TRANSPARENCY  regarding the actual amount of scholarship and grant money received for these girls.

With the cost of private colleges exceeding the 50k mark, any scholarship money can be a huge help for the typical family.

But how much are these families receiving? This seems to be a topic that is NOT discussed accurately and openly. I think we can all benefit from some ACTUAL FACTUAL INFORMATION.

I would love hear ACTUAL FACTS regarding how much academic, athletic monies that these kids are getting. It would be great to know that our effects now, will have a payoff down the road. We can all see the top colleges these kids are going to, but is it all worth it? I would like to know that all the stories that we hear are not fairy tales.

Thank you for posting information regarding monies and opportunities that are received. 

Please be discreet, and offer fiscal information, not propaganda.

Have a great day.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Transparency, please do not tell fairy tales.
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Nobody is going to come out and talk about their finances. It's too personal. Plus people of college kids would rather spin the truth to inflate what the colleges gave. The colleges are not going to divulge this info either, it is not in their best interests. I have a college kid and she has no clue who gets what on her team and I think that's how it should be.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excellent topic, looking forward to some TRUE responses. No need to reveal your name/salary, just post facts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are so many factors that determine the financial package awarded to your laxer. Just as no two people are alike...get it. With that said here are some factors, 1 talent level. 2 grades. 3 willingness to travel far away or stay close to home. 4 willingness to settle for a program that needs your specific skill set as apposed to your dream school. 5 willingness to entertain D1 or D2 offers (D2 money is equally green). 6 field of study. 7 timing and ability to negotiate with coaches. 8 ability to finance a small world tour of camps and clinics for exposure.
The point is there is plenty of money and plenty of programs. Scholarship amounts are all different for reasons stated above.
My advice is enter the process with an open mind and BE HONEST WITH COACHES. THEY ALL KNOW EACH OTHER!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Im not sure if this helps you but I am former Suffolk county player and I played with a top travel program. Although I was looked at and contacted after a few summer tournaments, there were no scholarships attached. I ended up choosing a university which offered the best academic path for my career choice. I walked on the team. After one year I was awarded scholarship monies to pay for books, clothing allowance and a stipend for room and board. My university was almost 40,000 a year. I played all four years with this program and stayed for grad school. In my Senior year I was named Co-captain along with one of my team mates. I earned a masters degree in my chosen profession and competed on a NCAA division I level. In my case, it was the academic program that worked in my favor. I have a good job working in my field, but on my resume the fact that I was a division 1 women's lacrosse player is the last thing people notice. My internship ( during fall ball at university) and my actual post grad placement wast most significant.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I suggest that the following is posted;

Type of school, D1 D2 etc. Not the name.
Cost of school, including room/board/books/supplies etc.
Academic money received
Athletic money received
Addit money received, grants etc

What do you think you have paid into your travel program annually, and for how many years.

I dont believe this gets too personal, as the vast majority of posters choose to remain anonymous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have one child playing College lacrosse and another in the the recruiting process and I will give my opinion on this important and interesting topic.

Assuming that all of our kids will be going to college regardless of being an athlete, use lacrosse as a tool to get into the best academic school that you can and pay for it as you would if you had a "regular" kid. Lacrosse is an unfair advantage that our kids have over non athletes so use it. I do not think you can look for return on investment because while athletic scholarships are great for some people, on average a majority of travel players will get no money. think about other sports that are popular and expensive here on Long Island (hockey in particular) where there are virtually no kids getting scholarships yet you have hundreds of kids playing travel mostly because it is fun. AAU basketball, travel baseball are the same, with relatively few kids playing in college much less getting any money. If you want return on investment get tutors and SAT prep course and get academic money, there is a lot more of that available. My oldest got 4x's the amount of academic money then athletic money and probably would not have even gotten into the school without lacrosse.

good luck

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just stole this from another thread - it is more appropriate here - this is a must read and answers a lot of the questions asked in the original post

To Everyone who is chasing the Holy Grail! Please read this article and relax!

http://laxmagazine.com/genrel/102512_its...ent_should_know

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great Post: My daughter is a 2013 graduate
First: Full athletic rides don't exists. (unless you walk on water)
Second: My daughter is going to a D1 school & you need to be top 15% of your class, 92 or better avg & score a 1250 on SAT (Verbal & math) to get academic money.

Realistically, you should expect around (avg) 20% to 25% in athletic money. Keep in mind the coach only has 12 full scholorships to hand out to the entire team.

Cost of my daughter school is 40k. (Room & board, books) Her books are included in her scholorship. All these emails parents are getting are for camps for you daughter to attend. They are not interested in your daughter, Unless a coach emails you and invites your personally to the campus. What they call an unofficial visits. With that said, A coach can not contact you until Sept 1 of junior year. To clarify my camp statement, They can talk to you while on campus at any age. You are in a catch 22. Are they interested in your daughter or just your money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D1 Program
Cost - $57,000
Total Package - $41,000 - half academic and half athletic
Daughter was HS All-American

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Remember They only have 12 Scholarships if FULLY funded
otherwise it could be less. Have to ask the Coach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You will never get the full truth here. Folks will constantly lie about what their child is getting. Go to any lacrosse tournament or game and sit back and listen. The BS is slung heavily.

25% or greater is a good offer. And don't believe the hype about one must do club to get recruited. The tournaments must be done though. Most of these club team will offer a spot to guest players. Same exposure without the financial commitment.

Advice to 2015's and later....do the mercenary route.....worked for my daughter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You will never get the full truth here. Folks will constantly lie about what their child is getting. Go to any lacrosse tournament or game and sit back and listen. The BS is slung heavily.

25% or greater is a good offer. And don't believe the hype about one must do club to get recruited. The tournaments must be done though. Most of these club team will offer a spot to guest players. Same exposure without the financial commitment.

Advice to 2015's and later....do the mercenary route.....worked for my daughter.

whats the Mercenary route??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2013 Grad
D1 School
$30,936 total cost
40% Athletic
$15,000 grants and scholarships so far.

Leaves me with about $4000 a year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by bothkidsinlax

Academic money received
Athletic money received

What do you think you have paid into your travel program annually, and for how many years.

I dont believe this gets too personal, as the vast majority of posters choose to remain anonymous.

Bottom line is do NOT play travel lacrosse thinking it will monetarily payoff in the end.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mercenary route= playing for tournament "house teams" or playing as a guest for an established club program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by bothkidsinlax

Academic money received
Athletic money received

Bottom line is do NOT play travel lacrosse thinking it will monetarily payoff in the end.

Too bad many parents won't listen!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed, Ask that question. You are right,12 is for a fully funded program.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I am glad to see my post has generated some comments. I am not disillusioned regarding the process and the overabundance of BS. I do see many parents who really do not seem to have a solid grasp on things, I try to stay away, lol...
If it wasn't for the travel program, my daughter would not be quite the player that she is. Not a superstar, but a very good solid performer, who is enjoying the game. Academics are excellent, hopefully lax will get her more opportunities, and maybe a little help......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am glad that you asked this. When we were beginning the college search process I would have liked to have had some "real" information to gauge just what kind of opportunities might be open to my daughter.

My daughter has not decided on a college yet. But she has received two offers and is expecting another any day now.

D2 school - tuition and room and board - $45K, athletic scholarship offer - $15K, increasing to $17K in her junior and senior years. An academic scholarship is also available.

D2 school - tuition and room and board - $18K. athletic scholarship offer - $4k No academic scholarship is available to her.

We are pretty happy with this so far as we had no idea what to expect. For what it is worth, my daughter does not play for one of the better known club or high school teams. I would think that if your daughter is an excellent student and a good player, that you will see some nice opportunities. Those grades and SAT scores matter a lot!

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard