BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: A Warning For Parents Who Think A Sports Scholarship Actually Covers Colleg
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son has very high scholarship but does not enjoy playing lacrosse as much as he used to. He says all the players are changing their majors to easier ones because it's too hard. The coaches make them practice more than they're supposed to and are very hard on them. He would love to quit but can't due to financial reasons. Boys at Ivies are getting no financial help. My question is if a kid not getting much money, why would he stay on the team? It's a full time job with no pay. Once you get in, you're in, so it makes sense to focus on academics, not dead end lacrosse.

Kids at Ivies, those who need it at least, are getting tons of financial help -- it just isn't tied to lacrosse. And the Ivy League schools have pretty strict rules regarding things like commitment during the off-season and weekly limits on practice time. It's a shame that all schools don't do the same. There's no reason why a dead-end, non-revenue sport should ever be a full-time job (which it is for many).

The NESCAC schools are pretty good about this too.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son has very high scholarship but does not enjoy playing lacrosse as much as he used to. He says all the players are changing their majors to easier ones because it's too hard. The coaches make them practice more than they're supposed to and are very hard on them. He would love to quit but can't due to financial reasons. Boys at Ivies are getting no financial help. My question is if a kid not getting much money, why would he stay on the team? It's a full time job with no pay. Once you get in, you're in, so it makes sense to focus on academics, not dead end lacrosse.

Kids at Ivies, those who need it at least, are getting tons of financial help -- it just isn't tied to lacrosse. And the Ivy League schools have pretty strict rules regarding things like commitment during the off-season and weekly limits on practice time. It's a shame that all schools don't do the same. There's no reason why a dead-end, non-revenue sport should ever be a full-time job (which it is for many).

Yes, I know you get financial help at the Ivies, but you need to have limited assets and a combined salary well under 200k. This is rare for lax players. Every student who attends these schools is treated the same when it comes to aid. It's strictly need based. The lacrosse is what gets you in. Once you're there if you hate it, or its interfering with academic, quit. You won't be losing anything.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, I know you get financial help at the Ivies, but you need to have limited assets and a combined salary well under 200k. This is rare for lax players. Every student who attends these schools is treated the same when it comes to aid. It's strictly need based. The lacrosse is what gets you in. Once you're there if you hate it, or its interfering with academic, quit. You won't be losing anything.

How about you 10 fortunate ivy league parents meet for coffee someplace because ivies don't apply to 99.5 of us with or without lacrosse and I'm pretty sure the people typing about ivies have their kids headed to some weak college none of us ever heard of

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How about you 10 fortunate ivy league parents meet for coffee someplace because ivies don't apply to 99.5 of us with or without lacrosse and I'm pretty sure the people typing about ivies have their kids headed to some weak college none of us ever heard of

It's roughly ten percent of D1 players, so we're not talking about an insignificant number here. There's nothing wrong with discussing the Ivies on a D1 lacrosse message board, especially since the recruiting process for them is a bit different than it is for other schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
good post. unfortunate that the target audience is, for the most part oblivious to any sound advice or input.

You can tell that just by reading some if these responses. These people are delusional and drinking the cool-aide that the clubs are serving them. I have been through it with two already, one of which won an NCAA ring playing lax. Tell your kids to play hard and have fun and push the academics. Lacrosse may help get into a good school if the academics are there but that's about it. I cant tell you how many boys I know that may early commitments to schools that were not a good fit and ended up transferring after one or two semesters.
If your son loves lacrosse use it as a tool to get where they want to go but don't count on getting more than money to pay for books.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just sharing our experience for everyone's benefit. My son who is a 2019 had four schools "recruiting" him this summer after two others had invited him for visits over last winter. He received an initial offer from one of the winter interested but we decided it was too early in the process and he wanted to look at more schools and see what he liked. He played well over the summer and we visited 6 schools and received 4 offers with two saying they wanted to take it slow and see how Fall went. My son decided on his top 3 schools and after doing plenty of research and speaking with people who have been through the process we went back to each coach with an update on who he was receiving offers from. His number one choice decided to increase his offer to a number that equals ~1/3 of the total cost of attending. He gladly accepted. I hope this helps someone in their process.

This is a realistic scenario for a very good lacrosse player. Thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread and good luck to you son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great post. My oldest played at a D2 school, Received some athletic money but three times as much academic money. Won the D2 championship his sophomore season, got his ring and stopped playing. He was on the verge of losing his academic money because his grades were suffering. Playing a varsity sport in college s a full time job and many of these kids don't realize the time they will have to commit once they are there. After stopping playing my son concentrated on his studies and graduated with a 3.8GPA and a degree in his major in 4 years. he probably would have needed more years and not had as high a GPA if he had continued to play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ivies all claim their money is all need based, not merit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great post. My oldest played at a D2 school, Received some athletic money but three times as much academic money. Won the D2 championship his sophomore season, got his ring and stopped playing. He was on the verge of losing his academic money because his grades were suffering. Playing a varsity sport in college s a full time job and many of these kids don't realize the time they will have to commit once they are there. After stopping playing my son concentrated on his studies and graduated with a 3.8GPA and a degree in his major in 4 years. he probably would have needed more years and not had as high a GPA if he had continued to play.

I'm calling BS on your post... I guess math is not your strong suit. If your son was almost losing his academic money his GPA was sub 3.0 (more likely in the 2.4 range to lose academic money) after freshman or sophomore year, and graduated in 4 years (lets assume 30 credit hours per year) there is no way he could achieve a 3.8 GPA, even if he got a 4.0 for 3 years in a row (and you said he quite after his sophomore year in danger of losing his academic money.) I guess he told you he had a 3.8 GPA and you believed it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm calling BS on your post... I guess math is not your strong suit. If your son was almost losing his academic money his GPA was sub 3.0 (more likely in the 2.4 range to lose academic money) after freshman or sophomore year, and graduated in 4 years (lets assume 30 credit hours per year) there is no way he could achieve a 3.8 GPA, even if he got a 4.0 for 3 years in a row (and you said he quite after his sophomore year in danger of losing his academic money.) I guess he told you he had a 3.8 GPA and you believed it.

Not sure that is true - my older son (not participating in any NCAA athletics, but don;t this that is relevant to this discussion) has aid contingent based upon his maintaining a 3.2 GPA - so, I am sure there are varying requirements for different types of aid as well as differences between instituion.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure that is true - my older son (not participating in any NCAA athletics, but don;t this that is relevant to this discussion) has aid contingent based upon his maintaining a 3.2 GPA - so, I am sure there are varying requirements for different types of aid as well as differences between instituion.

The math still does not work..... Even if the student got a 3.5 thru his sophomore year (he would not be in danger of losing his $$ at that GPA level, so not sure what his actual GPA would be if he was on the bubble at his university) and then got a 4.0 his last 4 semesters the best he could reasonably achieve is a 3.75 GPA. This does not even factor in that upper level classes generally get much tougher than gen ed requirement intro / survey classes (that most Freshman / Sophomores take) at most legitimate academic institutions.

I still smell BS...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The math still does not work..... Even if the student got a 3.5 thru his sophomore year (he would not be in danger of losing his $$ at that GPA level, so not sure what his actual GPA would be if he was on the bubble at his university) and then got a 4.0 his last 4 semesters the best he could reasonably achieve is a 3.75 GPA. This does not even factor in that upper level classes generally get much tougher than gen ed requirement intro / survey classes (that most Freshman / Sophomores take) at most legitimate academic institutions.

I still smell BS...

So what? Most of what is written on here is BS. Don't over-analyze, just read it for the entertainment value like the rest of us.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I still smell BS...

Different schools have different requirements. Some have none, once they give the money, they won't take it away. It all depends on the program. Some you must maintain a 3.0, others a 2.8.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree....math doesn't work. BS. Not even entertaining BS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it's 2016 and BS is now the acceptable form of communication - if "lacrosse quieter daddy" wants to tell tales of the rising GPA you don't get all Encyclopedia Brown on him, [lacrosse] you should probably be voting for him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ultimately, you want max money, make your kid be a dominant FOGO or goalie. My kids team that's where the biggest schollie's went, followed by the big time goal scorers. Definitely don't let your kid be a pole.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ultimately, you want max money, make your kid be a dominant FOGO or goalie. My kids team that's where the biggest schollie's went, followed by the big time goal scorers. Definitely don't let your kid be a pole.

Max money for lacrosse??? The best you can bet on is a 1/4 schalrship. Please - no one is getting a significant athletic scholarship anywhere for mens lacrosse!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LSM gets some $. Close D nope.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Max money for lacrosse??? The best you can bet on is a 1/4 schalrship. Please - no one is getting a significant athletic scholarship anywhere for mens lacrosse!

You have no idea what your talking about. The top kids on my sons college team are receiving 50-75% of cost. My son receives 30,000 in Athletic money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How much money for warming the bench for the 10 starters?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You have no idea what your talking about. The top kids on my sons college team are receiving 50-75% of cost. My son receives 30,000 in Athletic money.

40 man rosters or more makes sense that most of the top kids get 75%..... NOT!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NCAA restricts lacrosse scholarships to 12.6 per year per team - do the math. No school is committing much more than 1/4 (maybe a 1/2!) on any one player for the most part, and IF there is rare player who gets more, they are likely one of the best FEW in the country. People who talk about knowing players getting more are mixing athletic with academic and both are handled separately and carry with them differing requirements. In most cases, the academic/need based money is not contingent on lacrosse, and in some cases cannot be.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

40 man rosters or more makes sense that most of the top kids get 75%..... NOT!

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/whats-a-college-lacrosse-scholarship-really-worth

FTA: "“Our next two incoming classes are broken up with most of the kids receiving between 20 and 40 percent, and some kids are just getting books.”

It’s not like there are no free rides, they’re just extremely rare."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
here is my quick math rounded out for simplicity on a couple of situations I am familiar with
12 scholarships on team
3 scholarships per class
4 kids get half scholarships
4 kids getting quarter scholarships
4 kids getting nothing
a lot are also getting academic and in many cases more than the athletic

since you can not combine athletic and need based a bunch of kids can get more $ need based than the Athletic that is offered - you make the best package you can either need + academic or athletic + academic

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From USA TODAY
"53% of D1 get athletic money"
"Only 2.9% of HS lax players play D1 college"
"Most of the kids who d get offers get 20-40%"
"Many get just 4% to cover their books"
"Here is the lesson to all parents, all that money on private lessons, fitness training and summer travel isn't coming back"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From USA TODAY
"Here is the lesson to all parents, all that money on private lessons, fitness training and summer travel isn't coming back"

The lesson money doesn't come back, but I get to watch my son play on the field because he's gotten better than the rest of the kids at his position. That's all I want.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The math gets worse for many parents because top programs often give 80% or more to one top kid in every class.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From USA TODAY

Facts are very hard to swallow. Everyone believes that there will be a payout in college. Enjoy the ride it goes very quickly. If your kid wants to play in college there will always be a spot for them

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LSM gets some $. Close D nope.
2020 close guys getting money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know about others but the camps, club lax, lessons, weight speed training, that I spend (and I spend a lot) is for my children to become the best they can at something they love. I really enjoy watching them play. The fact that they are pretty good makes it even better. They enjoy playing. They like working and getting better. For me it is not to "get" money in college. For anyone that thinks that way and while knowing there are only 12 something scholarships for D1 is an idiot or a dreamer.

I spend more money (and time) on gymnastics than lacrosse and there is no way they are getting a dime in that. If they are really lucky maybe they can play DIII.

I would rather spend my money on something they love doing. They are only young once. I only get to watch them once go through it. If I am willing to make the sacrifice in paying and they are willing to put the time in to get better, I will pay all day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know about others but the camps, club lax, lessons, weight speed training, that I spend (and I spend a lot) is for my children to become the best they can at something they love. I really enjoy watching them play. The fact that they are pretty good makes it even better. They enjoy playing. They like working and getting better. For me it is not to "get" money in college. For anyone that thinks that way and while knowing there are only 12 something scholarships for D1 is an idiot or a dreamer.

I spend more money (and time) on gymnastics than lacrosse and there is no way they are getting a dime in that. If they are really lucky maybe they can play DIII.

I would rather spend my money on something they love doing. They are only young once. I only get to watch them once go through it. If I am willing to make the sacrifice in paying and they are willing to put the time in to get better, I will pay all day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well said and completely agree

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very true and well said. I truly believe scholarship money means that parents can brag to their friends. The money factor is usually insignificant.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very true and well said. I truly believe scholarship money means that parents can brag to their friends. The money factor is usually insignificant.

Very good point. I love bragging to my happy hour buddies about the money we'll be getting for text books and all the cool free gear my daughter will be getting. Then I go on and brag about how we are getting all the mileage out of our current cars since we are getting ready to pay out our noses for her education. And I love saying it with a smile. The parents with the younger kids who don't know the facts look at me like I'm full of it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My guy received over $100,000 for 4 years, that covers the books then some.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My guy received over $100,000 for 4 years, that covers the books then some.

To an Ivy League school, right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
50 man roster and 12.5 scholarships - do the math. Anyone that tells you they are getting a full ride is lying.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like was said earlier, the scholarship can be for 1000 bucks. It just now allows the kids dad to say to his friends , my son has a lax scholarship. It gives him something to boost about. That's all it is. That guy can be paying 53 grand a year,but the school is 54 grand. Hey everybody look how cool my son is, he got a division 1 lacrosse scholarship. He won't say it's for 1000 bucks. He won't say he spent 80,000 dollars for 12 years of lacrosse, club fees,clinics,lessons,hotels,equipment,etc,etc,etc. It's comical.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like was said earlier, the scholarship can be for 1000 bucks. It just now allows the kids dad to say to his friends , my son has a lax scholarship. It gives him something to boost about. That's all it is. That guy can be paying 53 grand a year,but the school is 54 grand. Hey everybody look how cool my son is, he got a division 1 lacrosse scholarship. He won't say it's for 1000 bucks. He won't say he spent 80,000 dollars for 12 years of lacrosse, club fees,clinics,lessons,hotels,equipment,etc,etc,etc. It's comical.

My sons scholarship is 30,000 Athletic money a year at a 50,000 a year school. Can I brag?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please share what private university is only 50K a year. Either kid is living at home and commuting or you are lying

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard