BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,212
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 58 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious to you old timers?? How did NCAA lacrosse survive prior to recruiting 9th graders?? Was it that bad??

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Curious to you old timers?? How did NCAA lacrosse survive prior to recruiting 9th graders?? Was it that bad??

Worked just fine, will work just fine again.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Coaches have been recruiting 9th graders for a long long time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Coaches have been recruiting 9th graders for a long long time.

Not in the 80's

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who enforces the new rules?
Compliance officers?
Whistle blowers?

Inevitable that the rules will be violated, and probably pretty quickly.

And with social medial being what it is, these youngsters and their parents can't resist announcing the commitment.

Will the NCAA ignore the public announcements of commitments that fly in the face of the rules and their intent.
Or will they act on the knowledge?

When that happens, what then?

What are the possible penalties for violating the new recruiting rules?
Slap on the wrist?
Loss of eligibility to play in the post season?
Loss of scholarships?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The best kids who were approaching college age (not approaching HS) got bigger and better awards. It took a lot of the guess work out of it for coaches and players. It also gave everyone a better look into what type of academic student the kids were going to be in college. Give some kids not all a chance to narrow their school target list based on a major of study. It is a huge win all around even though the same motivated parents pushing their kid to verbal in 8th grade will be the same motivated parent looking to bend the new rules.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who enforces the new rules?
Compliance officers?
Whistle blowers?

Inevitable that the rules will be violated, and probably pretty quickly.

And with social medial being what it is, these youngsters and their parents can't resist announcing the commitment.

Will the NCAA ignore the public announcements of commitments that fly in the face of the rules and their intent.
Or will they act on the knowledge?

When that happens, what then?

What are the possible penalties for violating the new recruiting rules?
Slap on the wrist?
Loss of eligibility to play in the post season?
Loss of scholarships?

SMH

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am pretty sure that if a PSA gets caught breaking the rules, the student can lose eligibility. So, I for one, will make sure that my kid is following the rules. Not to mention, if a college coach breaks the rules, they are just plain dumb, because they only need one disgruntled parent/kid/coach to report them and then they will be in trouble too. Not sure why this is such an problem, just wait until Junior year and fill your team. Why risk it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I read (and just confirmed) that a player only becomes a PSA under NCAA rules once he begins 9th grade. Perhaps this explains the report 5 days ago of the 2021 that committed to Michigan. Will there be a feeding frenzy on 2021's before 9th grade begins in the Fall? I would certainly hope not, but considering too that it was supposedly Michigan that was the holdout when Starsia tried to get the ACC and B1G coaches to agree not to early recruit perhaps Michigan will try to land some top 2021's this Summer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard a 2020 girls committed to Duke for soccer today. Why doesn't soccer have the same legislation?!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Michigan might want to concentrate on winning a Big 10 game instead of recruiting young (even if a holdback) boys. That early (easy) part of the season is long since past.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see an issue, a current 2019's will want to send their grades (in June) to the coaches who've had their eye on them. Is the player wrong for sending the grades he is proud of, does the coach who opens the email have to worry about being in violation.

There has to be some things that are allowable.

Then again how about that 6'1" 2020 who has always worked hard to be accelerated in the STEM core courses and took HBio or HChem or HAlg2/Trig, Those classes are great barometers of a students future STEM achievements. A coach doesn't have to wait to see how that player will pan out That Freshman has the same core course as a Jr. That freshman knows where their future path lies.

Sure it is easy to say all or none, but I was taught the easy way isn't always the right way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would think that anyone that has committed early, current 2020/2021 commits, are really not liking this new rule. Because, now they will not have any contact with their future coach until the start of
Their Junior year, and I bet they are going to really feel the pressure of "what are they thinking", because now they get that occasional validation of "we still want you". I do hope that none of them get that call on Sept 1 of their Junior year saying "sorry, we aren't interested anymore _______". not a good place to be in.

Yeah not wortoed, nice try though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see an issue, a current 2019's will want to send their grades (in June) to the coaches who've had their eye on them. Is the player wrong for sending the grades he is proud of, does the coach who opens the email have to worry about being in violation.

Then again how about that 6'1" 2020 who has always worked hard to be accelerated in the STEM core courses and took HBio or HChem or HAlg2/Trig, Those classes are great barometers of a students future STEM achievements. A coach doesn't have to wait to see how that player will pan out That Freshman has the same core course as a Jr. That freshman knows where their future path lies.

Sure it is easy to say all or none, but I was taught the easy way isn't always the right way.

You can send away..The coach can look at anything he wants or recieves as long as it is not solicited prior to Sept Junior year...He just cant contact you or your coaches until Sept Junior year. Pretty simple. Look all u want....dont talk.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You can send away..The coach can look at anything he wants or recieves as long as it is not solicited prior to Sept Junior year...He just cant contact you or your coaches until Sept Junior year. Pretty simple. Look all u want....dont talk.

I am pretty sure that all of the 9th and 10th graders that are already committed know their future coaches want to see their grades. The PSA will send them, but they will not get a response from the coach. Also, if you are a top student and you want college coaches to know that, you can feel free to send anything you want. That coach will put you on their "call ASAP Junior year list" if they are interested smile This concept should not be that difficult to understand.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am pretty sure that all of the 9th and 10th graders that are already committed know their future coaches want to see their grades. The PSA will send them, but they will not get a response from the coach. Also, if you are a top student and you want college coaches to know that, you can feel free to send anything you want. That coach will put you on their "call ASAP Junior year list" if they are interested smile This concept should not be that difficult to understand.

the concept is confusing, the difficulty is; I thought the coaches weren't supposed to have or open any communication. So how would a coach know until Sept 1 Jr yr about a kid's grades. or Are you telling me you can send emails all you want and they just cant respond. I thought that is how it already was. (except they could contact your club or HS coach).

someone please clarify this. I was told no contact etal. If you send a coach a note, does he think you are smart and diligent or extremely stupid and dont care for the rules.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would think that anyone that has committed early, current 2020/2021 commits, are really not liking this new rule. Because, now they will not have any contact with their future coach until the start of
Their Junior year, and I bet they are going to really feel the pressure of "what are they thinking", because now they get that occasional validation of "we still want you". I do hope that none of them get that call on Sept 1 of their Junior year saying "sorry, we aren't interested anymore _______". not a good place to be in.

Not too sure the committed kids are too worried. Some sure, they are the ones who weren't sure it was real in the first place. But the others, it is a great thing, and by Jr year the ball is in their court and decommitting will be a bigger issue for the colleges. Musical chairs anyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very few if any will get such a call. I expect the early recruits will work hard and finish what they started. But if they did, wouldn't that just show the college wasn't the right fit. In one way, it would show a system that lets the kids grow up will result in better matches for kids and coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The PSA and club coach/HS coach can send as many emails as they want to the college coach.

The Club and HS coach can also talk to the College coach any time they want. Offers and specifics about a kid shouldn't be discussed but the HS/Club coach can say Johnny is interested in their school. The college coach can also give "general feedback" to the Club and HS coach like we like how Johnny is playing.

no serious recruiting conversations can happen until 9.1 junior year. ex. we are going to offer Johnny

this is how most are understanding the rule

the concept is confusing, the difficulty is; I thought the coaches weren't supposed to have or open any communication. So how would a coach know until Sept 1 Jr yr about a kid's grades. or Are you telling me you can send emails all you want and they just cant respond. I thought that is how it already was. (except they could contact your club or HS coach).

someone please clarify this. I was told no contact etal. If you send a coach a note, does he think you are smart and diligent or extremely stupid and dont care for the rules.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you really think BOTC is the forum to get proper legal advice on your son's future? Maybe you consult an attorney, or call the NCAA. But BOTC is the last place I'm looking for answers to this. Come on, if you're serious, look in the right places.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"The concept is confusing"...apparently only for you. High school kids are not under the jurisdiction of the NCAA. Players can send whatever they want to the coaches. Coaches may not acknowledge or reply, or initiate any conversations until the student is in his jr year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Virginia just sent out a camp invite encouraging kids to come stating "with the new legislation in effect you can get your face to face contact with our coaches"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bravo US lacrosse and to the NCAA....Since the rule has passed two Eighth graders have now verbally committed to the University of Michigan....Way to open up the flood gates for the opposite of what you were trying to achieve. If it's not broke don't fix it. Your idealism went out the door along time ago !!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The PSA and club coach/HS coach can send as many emails as they want to the college coach.

The Club and HS coach can also talk to the College coach any time they want. Offers and specifics about a kid shouldn't be discussed but the HS/Club coach can say Johnny is interested in their school. The college coach can also give "general feedback" to the Club and HS coach like we like how Johnny is playing.

no serious recruiting conversations can happen until 9.1 junior year. ex. we are going to offer Johnny

Students are allowed to email coaches as much as they want, for expressing interest, sending film, informing the coach of accolades/accomplishments, updating game schedules, etc. In turn, the coach could only previously respond by email to inform the student of camps, tell the student to fill out a questionairre, but not discuss recruiting specific to that player. However, if a student picked up the phone, and the coach answered the call, they could talk about recruiting. The coach could not return a message, but if he picked up the phone, they could talk. Alike, the coach could talk to school or club coaches as intermediaries. Now, the coach would not be able to talk on the phone or talk to school/club coaches at all. So, no more early commitments, the coaches will still scout 2020's and 2019's this Summer just as they would have already been doing, recruiting boards will be filled in their offices, and there will be a mad dash of calls and reaching out on Sept. 1 for 2019's this Fall. Then same will happen for 2020's next Sept. 1. 2020's and 2019's should really treat the whole thing as a non-issue. 2021 parents won't see coaches on the sidelines this Summer, but really need to do their events, as the clubs won't appreciate kids bailing on tourneys. HS coaches should look for some fall off of 2019 football and soccer players, as kids that treat lax as primary will think they need to keep Fall open to deal with lax recruiting visits and such.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Students are allowed to email coaches as much as they want, for expressing interest, sending film, informing the coach of accolades/accomplishments, updating game schedules, etc. In turn, the coach could only previously respond by email to inform the student of camps, tell the student to fill out a questionairre, but not discuss recruiting specific to that player. However, if a student picked up the phone, and the coach answered the call, they could talk about recruiting. The coach could not return a message, but if he picked up the phone, they could talk. Alike, the coach could talk to school or club coaches as intermediaries. Now, the coach would not be able to talk on the phone or talk to school/club coaches at all. So, no more early commitments, the coaches will still scout 2020's and 2019's this Summer just as they would have already been doing, recruiting boards will be filled in their offices, and there will be a mad dash of calls and reaching out on Sept. 1 for 2019's this Fall. Then same will happen for 2020's next Sept. 1. 2020's and 2019's should really treat the whole thing as a non-issue. 2021 parents won't see coaches on the sidelines this Summer, but really need to do their events, as the clubs won't appreciate kids bailing on tourneys. HS coaches should look for some fall off of 2019 football and soccer players, as kids that treat lax as primary will think they need to keep Fall open to deal with lax recruiting visits and such.

There will be no mad dash for 2019s because all the good kids are already committed and not much will change there. A bunch of good 2020s still remain, so there may be some dashing for those kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What do you mean the kids should do the clubs events? F*** the club. Only go to the camps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I see an issue, a current 2019's will want to send their grades (in June) to the coaches who've had their eye on them. Is the player wrong for sending the grades he is proud of, does the coach who opens the email have to worry about being in violation.

someone please clarify this. I was told no contact etal. If you send a coach a note, does he think you are smart and diligent or extremely stupid and dont care for the rules

What do you mean the kids should do the clubs events? F*** the club. Only go to the camps.

No reason to go to any 2021 recruiting events this year..like Brine, Under Armour, etc...Is there???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I see an issue, a current 2019's will want to send their grades (in June) to the coaches who've had their eye on them. Is the player wrong for sending the grades he is proud of, does the coach who opens the email have to worry about being in violation.

someone please clarify this. I was told no contact etal. If you send a coach a note, does he think you are smart and diligent or extremely stupid and dont care for the rules

No reason to go to any 2021 recruiting events this year..like Brine, Under Armour, etc...Is there???

My son is signed up for the Brine and his friends are going, so I'm there. I won't be busting my hump to make any of the prospect camps this summer. My Son is an October birthday, so he is already at a disadvantage. Several parents who I spoke to who are going D1 told me to wait until next summer to start that process. No reason to have an on age kid be the youngest at a camp and get labeled and knocked out early.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yes, Absolutley! Go for the original reason, to have fun and play with/against a group of boys that are just as talented. Everything isnt alwasy recruiting is it. That's what the problem is. Why isnt building your resume just as important.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

someone please clarify this. I was told no contact etal. If you send a coach a note, does he think you are smart and diligent or extremely stupid and dont care for the rules.[/quote]
[/quote]

Students are allowed to email coaches as much as they want, for expressing interest, sending film, informing the coach of accolades/accomplishments, updating game schedules, etc. In turn, the coach could only previously respond by email to inform the student of camps, tell the student to fill out a questionairre, but not discuss recruiting specific to that player. However, if a student picked up the phone, and the coach answered the call, they could talk about recruiting. The coach could not return a message, but if he picked up the phone, they could talk. Alike, the coach could talk to school or club coaches as intermediaries. Now, the coach would not be able to talk on the phone or talk to school/club coaches at all. So, no more early commitments, the coaches will still scout 2020's and 2019's this Summer just as they would have already been doing, recruiting boards will be filled in their offices, and there will be a mad dash of calls and reaching out on Sept. 1 for 2019's this Fall. Then same will happen for 2020's next Sept. 1. 2020's and 2019's should really treat the whole thing as a non-issue. 2021 parents won't see coaches on the sidelines this Summer, but really need to do their events, as the clubs won't appreciate kids bailing on tourneys. HS coaches should look for some fall off of 2019 football and soccer players, as kids that treat lax as primary will think they need to keep Fall open to deal with lax recruiting visits and such. [/quote]

What do you mean the kids should do the clubs events? F*** the club. Only go to the camps.[/quote]

You'll want to be on a top club team the Summer going into 10th grade year, so best way to solidify spot is to stay on team now going into your 9th grade year, or try to get on a better team in the Fall. Your not getting recruited out of rising 9th grade prospect camps, unless you are literally unbelievable, in which case, they already know about you! Trust me, or just learn for yourself, do what you like. The recruiting boards are going to be formulated by top clubs and top schools, then the diamonds in the rough will have to work harder to get noticed. Be patient, do your Summer club events this year, then next year coaches will be back on the sidelines. If you ditch your club, very hard to get the correct exposure.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What do you mean the kids should do the clubs events? F*** the club. Only go to the camps.[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes to UA, because the tryout is cheap, and the 21's are mixed in with 20's. So, even if you don't make the team, rare opportunity to get in front of coaches as a 21 this Summer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

someone please clarify this. I was told no contact etal. If you send a coach a note, does he think you are smart and diligent or extremely stupid and dont care for the rules.[/quote]
[/quote]

Students are allowed to email coaches as much as they want, for expressing interest, sending film, informing the coach of accolades/accomplishments, updating game schedules, etc. In turn, the coach could only previously respond by email to inform the student of camps, tell the student to fill out a questionairre, but not discuss recruiting specific to that player. However, if a student picked up the phone, and the coach answered the call, they could talk about recruiting. The coach could not return a message, but if he picked up the phone, they could talk. Alike, the coach could talk to school or club coaches as intermediaries. Now, the coach would not be able to talk on the phone or talk to school/club coaches at all. So, no more early commitments, the coaches will still scout 2020's and 2019's this Summer just as they would have already been doing, recruiting boards will be filled in their offices, and there will be a mad dash of calls and reaching out on Sept. 1 for 2019's this Fall. Then same will happen for 2020's next Sept. 1. 2020's and 2019's should really treat the whole thing as a non-issue. 2021 parents won't see coaches on the sidelines this Summer, but really need to do their events, as the clubs won't appreciate kids bailing on tourneys. HS coaches should look for some fall off of 2019 football and soccer players, as kids that treat lax as primary will think they need to keep Fall open to deal with lax recruiting visits and such. [/quote]

There will be no mad dash for 2019s because all the good kids are already committed and not much will change there. A bunch of good 2020s still remain, so there may be some dashing for those kids.[/quote]

Sure there will. Beyond the top 20 schools, there are abundant 2019 spots to fill. Not everyone can be on a team that is top 20 today, but there is a lot of good lacrosse out there, my friend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid is going to one of the top 3 D3 schools and is going to love playing at a high level, and I saved a ton of money on clinics, etc over the years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A good point about it being a mad dash for 2019's. Probably wont be a mad dash, but teams still need to fill the rosters with quality players. Teams wont be able to survive alone with 2018's and now wait for the 2020's and 2021's.

What I find interesting is the teams once thought of top 20 that are 25 - 40 and those schools that were 30-50 cracking the top 20.

Speaking of such what is goign on with Delaware?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A good point about it being a mad dash for 2019's. Probably wont be a mad dash, but teams still need to fill the rosters with quality players. Teams wont be able to survive alone with 2018's and now wait for the 2020's and 2021's.

What I find interesting is the teams once thought of top 20 that are 25 - 40 and those schools that were 30-50 cracking the top 20.

Speaking of such what is goign on with Delaware?

UD coach is retiring after close to 40 years. Sleeping giant if they get the right guy. Word is there is a lot of interest among coaching ranks - both top assistants and head coaches

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
...A bunch of good 2020s still remain, so there may be some dashing for those kids.

And many top schools only have a handful of 2020s committed so there are many spots yet to be filled.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son is signed up for the Brine and his friends are going, so I'm there. I won't be busting my hump to make any of the prospect camps this summer. My Son is an October birthday, so he is already at a disadvantage. Several parents who I spoke to who are going D1 told me to wait until next summer to start that process. No reason to have an on age kid be the youngest at a camp and get labeled and knocked out early.

If your child is a 2021 and born in Oct isnt he one of the oldest besides kids held back??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your child is a 2021 and born in Oct isnt he one of the oldest besides kids held back??

No, he was born in Oct 2003, so he is the youngest kid on his team and has played against 2021's that have been 2 years older than him. Never thought of lacrosse eligibility when we put him into Kindergarten at 4 turning 5, and wouldn't hold him back hoping to get some money for a scholarship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sure it is easy to say all or none, but I was taught the easy way isn't always the right way.o

Not if you live in NY. The school cutoff is 12/1. My son is late September and is one of the youngest in his grade due to hold backs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
same, my daughter is october. our cutoff is 12/31. She is sometimes 16-18 months younger than girls on her club team, they go to private school and super hold back plus different cut offs.

Like Reply Quote
Page 48 of 58 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard