BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 32 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 31 32
Re: BOYS PAL League
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by meco24
Question for those parents with conflicts... Do you ever get flack from coaches when they miss games/practices/etc?

My sons' travel teams all try to avoid conflicts with PAL, so there really arent' that many. Is your son's putting any effort into that avoidance, or they just don't care?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question for those parents with conflicts... Do you ever get flack from coaches when they miss games/practices/etc?

PAL should be equal playing time and if a coach is sitting a travel kid in a PAL game he is a fool.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

PAL should be equal playing time and if a coach is sitting a travel kid in a PAL game he is a fool.

PAL is equal playing time but if a kid doesn't attend practice his time can/should be reduced regardless of whether it is a travel kid or not. PAL is by charter a developmental league; all players should be accountable, if you don't show to practice, expect to play less in the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its funny the pal coaches want good players, good players play travel. They just don't want good players who play travel. They need a reality check. Our pal coach hates the fact kids play travel.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My philosophy, and one that is echoed by other coaches in our PAL program, is that playing time is equitable, not equal. There are a number of considerations that determine what defines equitable, but, if I have a kid who continually misses practices for any reason versus boys that show up consistently, the boy that misses practice is going to see less playing time than his teammates, all other things being equal. While winning a game is one goal for any game where a score is kept, our organization's primary goal is to teach the boys the game, the essentials of team over individuals, and good sportsmanship. If those goals come at the expense of winning, then that is fine, and that includes sitting any player for legitimate reasons, including a travel player.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have any Nassau Coaches had their HorizonWeb Team Selection Approval approved yet by Carol O'Sullivan??

Yes, a few weeks ago

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My kid's coach tries to work around PAL and school ball. If a kid has to miss, they have to miss. I know of some who will give the kids a hard time, so it depends on the coach. Most are ok if it is a game, but if it is PAL practice vs. travel practice, I always tell my PAL kids to go to the travel practice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So if a kid doesn't attend practice he should get equal playing time as the kid who is at every practice? And this teaches the kids what?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if he has travel practice or pal practice, which does he learn more in? hands down travel. the pal coach should realize the kid is practicing, just not with his team. key word here is he is a KID. pal coaches need to relax!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So if a kid doesn't attend practice he should get equal playing time as the kid who is at every practice? And this teaches the kids what?

That's a PAL rule, if a kid does not come to practice he does not have to play in a PAL game.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its funny the pal coaches want good players, good players play travel. They just don't want good players who play travel. They need a reality check. Our pal coach hates the fact kids play travel.

You shouldn't play PAL, you sound a tad bit selfish and pompous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My kid's coach tries to work around PAL and school ball. If a kid has to miss, they have to miss. I know of some who will give the kids a hard time, so it depends on the coach. Most are ok if it is a game, but if it is PAL practice vs. travel practice, I always tell my PAL kids to go to the travel practice.

When you get to 7th and 8th grade PAL, it is a whole other story - many of these boys are playing MS ball, travel, and PAL. Our PAL program recognizes this, and we practice less that the pre-7th grade age teams, only once, maybe twice per week. And once we get into game play, we look to do scrimmages more than formal practices with drills and the like.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

My sons' travel teams all try to avoid conflicts with PAL, so there really arent' that many. Is your son's putting any effort into that avoidance, or they just don't care?

I was just asking. Not in this situation. Yet...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if he has travel practice or pal practice, which does he learn more in? hands down travel. the pal coach should realize the kid is practicing, just not with his team. key word here is he is a KID. pal coaches need to relax!

Exactly my point.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]if he has travel practice or pal practice, which does he learn more in? hands down travel. the pal coach should realize the kid is practicing, just not with his team. key word here is he is a KID. pal coaches need to relax!

Exactly my point. [/quo

Why bother with PAL? I don't get it, seems like PAL is more of a headache for you. You keep using the word TEAM in your statement, it's obvious you mean individual, the TEAM means nothing to you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pal has a place and for most the arrogant parents on here it's probably not for their kid, but for many that just care for their son to have fun, play on a team with his town and friends it serves it's purpose. The rest of those who think their son is too good and doesn't have time for pal, let's see if your son even has any friends. He's probably a lot like his parents. They don't have friends and they think the parents standing next to them on their travel team are their new best friend. Wait until that friend stabs you in the back.
Maybe your son should remember who his friends are from town or maybe he doesn't have any? Like father, like son. Or maybe like mother, like son too. Pal is supporting and playing for your town. It doesn't mean you have to make it your top priority but it's nice to do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Technically, the Spring is PAL season and we try to give that priority. Especially games. Our travel coach is good with that. The PAL coach is a [lacrosse] about everything and to everyone but we give the team deference regardless.

One thing I think is important about PAL is it is a development program. My kid plays every position in PAL but on travel has an assigned position. Variety and mixing it up is important in my opinion, especially with kids, which is another reason I try to prioritize PAL. Just my 2 cents. Still, the travel team is a much better learning environment overall.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We make PAL the priority unless we have a spring travel tournament. His coaches understand. PAL is for playing with his friends and he really enjoys it. As someone stated before the boys are practicing 5 days a week with their school teams. We just show up on Sunday and play. After the season the 8th graders are presented with a town lacrosse rain jacket which they wear throughout high school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know what the meaning of the divisions are for PAL? Black, Blue, Gold, Red, White?

Are these actual brackets based on level/talent? Or is it just an easy way to organize?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know what the meaning of the divisions are for PAL? Black, Blue, Gold, Red, White?

Are these actual brackets based on level/talent? Or is it just an easy way to organize?

I would think it is just an easy way to organize

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this info only for coaches/administrators, or is there a site where parents can view as well? Thanks!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Divisions are broken up by your record from the previous year.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I was told from 2 different coaches (completely separate teams/towns) that the division is up to the coach to decide.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If that is the case they made a mistake on our schedule as my sons team only won 1 game last season. hahaha.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was told from 2 different coaches (completely separate teams/towns) that the division is up to the coach to decide.

Teams on the bubble can decide - you cannot be a team that wins a majority of your games and just decide to move down a tier - PAL won't allow that to happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there somewhere you can see the Nassau pal schedule without going thru the coaches ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there somewhere you can see the Nassau pal schedule without going thru the coaches ?

How many times can someone ask the same Q??! Seriously, if there was a public schedule available, don't you think someone would have posted it by now??! And why do you want to go around the coaches? I can tell you first hand that if you went by the PAL schedule, you would find that our first game is listed with an incorrect start time by 6 hours, yet the schedule from our organization and coaches has it correct. And that's just for one team on one week.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any good games today?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope, you're stuck having to wait to hear from your coach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CYO basketball does it right. You can check out results and schedules all on line.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CYO basketball does it right. You can check out results and schedules all on line.

Suffolk PAL has everything on their website, including results.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All for PAL lacrosse.Enjoy the town concept, equal playing time, playing with your friends etc. l also like the fact that you play for fun & not for awards. What I dislike are the daddy coaches who push their own agenda - trying to make little Johnnie a star ( which will never happen ) he's just not that good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All for PAL lacrosse.Enjoy the town concept, equal playing time, playing with your friends etc. l also like the fact that you play for fun & not for awards. What I dislike are the daddy coaches who push their own agenda - trying to make little Johnnie a star ( which will never happen ) he's just not that good.

unfortunately, it is a necessary evil.
it's a league reliant on volunteers. it's no different when the coaches kid is the starting QB, point guard, pitcher, etc. often the kid deserves it and isn't an issue.....but not always.
overall, I don't mind the coaches having their kids play a few extra minutes.....i look at it as their payment for offering their time throughout the season.
this is PAL.....as long as your kid is on the field as often as the rest of his buddies and having fun, does it really matter if coach keeps his kid out there?
the coaches kid probably has the worst post game experience of anyone on the team. probably hears all ride home about what he should've done differently... has to watch the game film after dinner then hit the cage in the backyard before bed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't forget "Daddy coaches" are volunteers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He's too dumb to understand in the first place

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He's too dumb to understand in the first place

Grab a whistle complainer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dude..I did grab a whistle a few years ago to help out and coached in PAL with a daddy coach who had a daughter who could do no wrong and who had the 'go to goal' (per pops blessing and exhorting) mentality every time she touched the ball...it was torture. guy was very nice person but it was insufferable the way the sun rose/set on his little lax queen...no other option because there was only one team in town at the age group.
so yes, some of us do step-forward and help out in PAL and end up dealing with the daddy crap anyway..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dude..I did grab a whistle a few years ago to help out and coached in PAL with a daddy coach who had a daughter who could do no wrong and who had the 'go to goal' (per pops blessing and exhorting) mentality every time she touched the ball...it was torture. guy was very nice person but it was insufferable the way the sun rose/set on his little lax queen...no other option because there was only one team in town at the age group.
so yes, some of us do step-forward and help out in PAL and end up dealing with the daddy crap anyway..

Okay, so how did you handle the problem? Silence and inaction or did you call him out on it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
call me a wuss, but in the interests of maintain relationships, I bit my tongue and ran out the clock...i did mention during games about ALL being involved and that would work for a spell....prob should have ben more forceful, but held back more to protect daughter and friends status dynamic..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
call me a wuss, but in the interests of maintain relationships, I bit my tongue and ran out the clock...i did mention during games about ALL being involved and that would work for a spell....prob should have ben more forceful, but held back more to protect daughter and friends status dynamic..

Okay, you deserve credit, far too many criticize without ever taking any action to make it better.

Like Reply Quote
Page 24 of 32 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 31 32
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard