BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 214 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 213 214
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This girls "helmet" thing is the absolutely dumbest idea I've ever seem. Please stop this nonsense!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can helmets play non helmet wearing teams? Is there a rule?

Seems districts are taking the safe way out to avoid litigation and are making decisions on helmets without facts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Seems districts are taking the safe way out to avoid litigation and are making decisions on helmets without facts

Helmets have played non-helmets in scrimmages and non-league games so far - could change for league games, but I doubt it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This girls "helmet" thing is the absolutely dumbest idea I've ever seem. Please stop this nonsense!

What's dumb - wearing them or debating about wearing them? Not sure what you're saying.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

From Newsleader.com July,2016
Sports like girls soccer have been calculated to result in 33 concussions per 100,000 player outings and wrestling has about 24 concussions per 100,000 player outings a year, according to The Head Case Co. In comparison, the most recent study — completed in 2012 — shows that at least one football player sustains a concussion for every game played.

On the same note, while soccer has fewer concussions per year when compared to football, the severity of concussions sustained in soccer is significantly higher.

In the entire article girls lacrosse was never mentioned...

my daughter's friend plays on a team where they are all forced to wear them and she says she has a headache during and after every time she wears the head gear.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not safer, not even protective, its garbage!! Most concussions soccer in soccer, fact! Why are they not forced to wear helmets, ridiculous! The only one benefiting from this is Cascade!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Head gear is optional. Any player can choose to wear itnor not. I am not sure if it is legal for the district or state to make girls wear it. I do know that if my daughter is made to wear it she will not be happy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our district offered it too. It's not mandatory and none of the girls on our team are wearing it.

I saw a Syracuse player wore it when they played Florida a week or so ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not safer, not even protective, its garbage!! Most concussions soccer in soccer, fact! Why are they not forced to wear helmets, ridiculous! The only one benefiting from this is Cascade!

So the ASTM standard is garbage? Where do you come up with the notion that it is not protective? No headgear for any type of sports claims to prevent a concussion. Different types of headgear have been approved for wear in the past but now people are paying attention. It does protect players from stick and ball contact to the head and face.

As far as non headgear vs teams wearing them, there is currently no rule on the books. It's an optional piece of equipment that some programs have chosen to use. Approved for use at all levels.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kids have had between them 3 diagnosed concussions and 1 suspected. I have spent too much time at the St. Charles concussion clinic. They told me that helmets do NOTHING toward preventing concussion. All helmets do is protect against skull fractures and lacerations.

Concussion is caused by the brain rattling around inside the skull. As such, you can see that a helmet is not going to alleviate that motion at all. Concussions happen often when one's head is whiplashed, not from a blow.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kids have had between them 3 diagnosed concussions and 1 suspected. I have spent too much time at the St. Charles concussion clinic. They told me that helmets do NOTHING toward preventing concussion. All helmets do is protect against skull fractures and lacerations.

Concussion is caused by the brain rattling around inside the skull. As such, you can see that a helmet is not going to alleviate that motion at all. Concussions happen often when one's head is whiplashed, not from a blow.

You are correct, the headgear will not prevent a concussion.
Like I said in my previous post, no helmet is designed to prevent a concussion. I think Cascade states it's not designed to prevent a concussion. I think It will help youth level kids who get hit with an errant pass or shot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So the ASTM standard is garbage? Where do you come up with the notion that it is not protective? No headgear for any type of sports claims to prevent a concussion. Different types of headgear have been approved for wear in the past but now people are paying attention. It does protect players from stick and ball contact to the head and face.

As far as non headgear vs teams wearing them, there is currently no rule on the books. It's an optional piece of equipment that some programs have chosen to use. Approved for use at all levels.

It's garbage, Cascade money grab. If soccer doesn't wear then, neither should lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

serious question- so HARD head gear can be worn against a team not wearing any head gear and the game is played? Or it has to be the soft head gear from a few years ago? My question is for the new hard ones with built in goggles

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if refs called the hacking and threw kids out of games like the rules states helmets wouldn't be talked about. This is a result of poor officiating and teams and coaches taking advantage of poor officiating to bend and stretch the rules.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Division Ave mandates girls wear them. Girls come home with headaches, helmets are too tight or too loose, and a significant part of eye area not covered. AD received money from a politician who may or may not have invested in cascade. It's a shame more research wasn't done before this nonsense was mandated. Any legal eagles on this site know if a district can mandate/enforce this if there are no NYS mandates?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughters team played a team all wearing helmets, with the same exact color helmet and jersey as the goalie. every shuffle in front of the net you could not pick out defenders from the goalie. Problem here is it gets very confusing when a girls shoots on net. When a defender gets mistaken for a goalie and takes an 80 mph shot to the head, throat, chest. Then what? Disaster and lawsuit waiting to happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, hold on here a minute. If I'm not mistaken, girls and boys use the same hard rubber lacrosse ball, and boys and girls heads are made of the same flesh and bones which are designed to protect the brain. So, if a ball traveling at 50 mph can damage a boys head, who is required to wear a helmet to protect his head, why isn't that same ball, also traveling at 50 mph, not going to damage a girls head? If your daughter cannot tell the difference between a goalie and a defender then you have bigger problems than worrying about whether or not a district can mandate your daughter to wear a helmet. Why is everyone bugging out about protecting their daughter's heads? It may not be required now but it most likely will be next year. Stop worrying about why districts are making an effort to protect your daughter's brains or who benefits financially from it and be happy that your daughter's head will be protected from potential brain damage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boys can also whack each other with the sticks, girls is supposedly " non contact". Plus there is a huge difference between this soft head gear and a boys/goalie helmet. If the new soft head gear could actually prevent some concussions more people would be on board

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dude, you really couldn't distinguish the goalie from other players based on some half a helmet head-piece?
the helmet covered the #'s too?...
wow

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, hold on here a minute. If I'm not mistaken, girls and boys use the same hard rubber lacrosse ball, and boys and girls heads are made of the same flesh and bones which are designed to protect the brain. So, if a ball traveling at 50 mph can damage a boys head, who is required to wear a helmet to protect his head, why isn't that same ball, also traveling at 50 mph, not going to damage a girls head? If your daughter cannot tell the difference between a goalie and a defender then you have bigger problems than worrying about whether or not a district can mandate your daughter to wear a helmet. Why is everyone bugging out about protecting their daughter's heads? It may not be required now but it most likely will be next year. Stop worrying about why districts are making an effort to protect your daughter's brains or who benefits financially from it and be happy that your daughter's head will be protected from potential brain damage.

Because it's a dumb idea. Not the way the game is intended to play. You are an idiot if you think this is going to do anything but look and feel horrible. Sounds like your daughter should play tennis. Wuss

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girls should wear full gear like boys and let it be the contact sport it is. It makes no sense that they don't. Same stick, same ball yet no protection besides goggles. No arm or chest pads. Can't believe you don't hear more of girls getting hit in the chest or head with the ball. Girls would prefer to wear all the gear too. Unless you don't like contact.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Girls should wear full gear like boys and let it be the contact sport it is. It makes no sense that they don't. Same stick, same ball yet no protection besides goggles. No arm or chest pads. Can't believe you don't hear more of girls getting hit in the chest or head with the ball. Girls would prefer to wear all the gear too. Unless you don't like contact.
Dumbest, most uninformed post ever on this site

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would be for that.....and I am way against the dumb "helmet"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If coaches and parents weren't so idiotic over a stupid game either then the kids wouldn't be so out of control. The parents and coaches are just as much to blame as the refs. The sideline behavior from coaches and parents trickles down to the kids. In all sports, oh no my daughter got tripped in soccer, lets start throwing a fit on the sideline and go crazy and tell your child to take the kid out next time. Great parenting is what causes most problems. Keep parents away from games and the games seem to run much smoother.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would like that and I think my daughter would too. I'll have to ask her. If you don't like contact, then take up bowling or archery.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's not lacrosse' for girls'. It's a different game then boys lacrosse. There is or should be more finesse, more skill( due to the lack of pocket). Boys lacrosse is great but it's not the same as girls nor should it be. Parents want the contract. The girls understand and for the most part appreciate the nuances .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is it dumb? Why should the girls play a different game. Talk about being sexist! Basketball, soccer etc are the same as boys. No differences. Girls who can't handle it won't play. But at least they will be a little safer playing it! Actually makes a lot of sense. Or else make the ball lighter and sticks too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would be for that.....and I am way against the dumb "helmet"

I second. Ice Hockey is the best example. Same gear, girls or boys.

You take any child between the age of 5 and 7, girl or boy, and give them a choice between wearing a helmet, gearing up and smashing stuff or trying to catch a ball with a tennis racquet they will pick the former.

Another example is the Canadians and Native Americans and box lacrosse. Mixed teams, same gear. With the reservation kids you can't even tell them apart because they all have a black braid hanging out of the back of their helmets.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's not sexist...They are two different games. Unlike soccer or hockey men's and women's lacrosse are not the same.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if refs called the hacking and threw kids out of games like the rules states helmets wouldn't be talked about. This is a result of poor officiating and teams and coaches taking advantage of poor officiating to bend and stretch the rules.

Right on the button exactly right. Might as well not even have a rule book.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, it seems clear. People are divided over this issue. Either totally for or against. I think it will not become popular and fade away, not enough support or evidence that it will do any more than look hideous!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your kid wears it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some of you people are complete idiots . Have them wear the same equipment as the men and play the men's game to prevent injuries . Great idea Einstein except there are more injuries in the men's game including a higher incidence of concussions . Not sure why the uproar about the soft shell helmets as it's a personal choice and hopefully it does not become mandated .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's not sexist...They are two different games. Unlike soccer or hockey men's and women's lacrosse are not the same.

Agreed. One is lacrosse and the other needs to be renamed something else to avoid confusion. Boys should be able to play it also, just like flag football. Nothing wrong with that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What teams are wearing helmets?

Did the school provide them?

Who is responsible for the decision, the coach or district administration?

How long before the first lawsuit is filed?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What teams are wearing helmets?

Did the school provide them?

Who is responsible for the decision, the coach or district administration?

How long before the first lawsuit is filed?

No parent is suing a school if they provide helmets for a team in the name of "safety" get real. Whether they are safer or not unfortunately the optics that they are safer is going to push more school districts to follow. Blame the 1st schools that did it because they are going to suck everyone down

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Right on the button exactly right. Might as well not even have a rule book.

Girls Lax has the worst officials an any sport my daughter has ever played. The non calls and lack of ejections have brought this on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some of you people are complete idiots . Have them wear the same equipment as the men and play the men's game to prevent injuries . Great idea Einstein except there are more injuries in the men's game including a higher incidence of concussions . Not sure why the uproar about the soft shell helmets as it's a personal choice and hopefully it does not become mandated .

I agree with you except for the last part - some of the schools are mandating it, varsity through MS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why don't we just require all school kids to walk around with helmets as they go about their days activities, in the interest of safety of course. If a kid refuses and trips in the playground then a lawsuit can be filed. Absolutely Rediculous! This helmet thing is the product of the snowflake lawsuit parenting. Sick of it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why don't we just require all school kids to walk around with helmets as they go about their days activities, in the interest of safety of course. If a kid refuses and trips in the playground then a lawsuit can be filed. Absolutely Rediculous! This helmet thing is the product of the snowflake lawsuit parenting. Sick of it!

Train has left the station. We all know AD's and school boards hate confrontation or controversy. That's why good coaches get fired and bad ones stay on. The fact the some uninformed districts on LI have started with helmets they all will follow and then when people see it doesn't adversely affect the game everyone will adopt. All because of bad officiating and clubs coaching players to bend the rules. Those are the two culprits.

Like Reply Quote
Page 23 of 214 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 213 214
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard