BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 97 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 96 97
Re: Westchester Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 11 committs for Yorktown, what are they by graduating class and are they all D1? Also Yorktown is split between Yorktown High and Lakeland\Panas (LP). Any LP kids lumped in there?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All but one Yorktown player is committed to D1, no LP players included.

Yorktown: Sr- Notre Dame, Delaware, Albany, Albany, Tampa/Jr.- Maryland, Marist, Marist, St. Josephs/Soph- Richmond, Cornell
JJ: Sr- Binghamton/ Jr.- Syracuse, Duke, Colgate, Fairfield, Marist

Should be an interesting season for both teams. YT missing Marr and JJ still trying to topple YT.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Laxpower shows two more sophomores from Yorktown committed to DI schools - Princeton and Providence; only thing is that they are attending Iona Prep. Yorktown still producing the kids, but why are they going to Iona?

Is that any reflection on the HS Program? But its a good reflection on the Youth program for developing the kids. It's all about developing the kids at the youth and learning the fundamentals. You can not play this game with out fundamentals. Kudos to Yorktown Youth Lacrosse for that. High school level is where they can take it to the next level (although it seems the Club teams are where they do so also and get noticed these days, but that is not part of this particular discussion)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Laxpower shows two more sophomores from Yorktown committed to DI schools - Princeton and Providence; only thing is that they are attending Iona Prep. Yorktown still producing the kids, but why are they going to Iona?

Is that any reflection on the HS Program? But its a good reflection on the Youth program for developing the kids. It's all about developing the kids at the youth and learning the fundamentals. You can not play this game with out fundamentals. Kudos to Yorktown Youth Lacrosse for that. High school level is where they can take it to the next level (although it seems the Club teams are where they do so also and get noticed these days, but that is not part of this particular discussion)

I did the same search on laxpower and saw the two kids who play for Iona Prep. Could they be Lakeland school district kids, and not Yorktown? If yes, than maybe they played youth at shrub oak (youth program that typically includes Lakeland SD kids). "Yorktown Heights" as a home town mailing address can be in either Yorktown SD or Lakeland SD to the best of my knowledge.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Search using the High School, not the Town. When I see pre-sophomores being recruited, makes me think the varsity program has a deep pool of talent.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Providence kid is from the Lakeland SD and the Princeton kid from Fox Lane.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are CT Chargers still a good program? How do they compare with CT Express, SuperStar, other local clubs?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Providence kid is from the Lakeland SD and the Princeton kid from Fox Lane.

Interesting; the Providence kid probably lives in Yorktown but part of the Lakeland SD. Not sure about the Fox lane kid. Were they part of the Yorktown Youth program?

Not bad for Iona Prep then to have some sophomores committed to D1. How is there program and any insight as to why these would leave to attend Iona Prep?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The princeton kid left becuase of his father, Chris schreiber, who directs Express North. He also is defensive coach at Iona prep. not sure abt providence kid, however he is a defenseman that plays on primetime. The princeton one is an attackman

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chargers are okay but are not as good as Express North or Superstars. Primetime is the dominant team for Westchester and Fairfield counties.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Primetime is not the dominant program in the area. I would say they have had good teams, but overall LI Express North has surpassed them and Superstars. That's just my observation. Seems like they have focused on the holdback so we'll see if that pays off.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Primetime is not the dominant program in the area. I would say they have had good teams, but overall LI Express North has surpassed them and Superstars. That's just my observation. Seems like they have focused on the holdback so we'll see if that pays off.

That's funny Chris S, shouldn't you be coaching the kids at Iona Prep and not posting on this board?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's funny Chris S, shouldn't you be coaching the kids at Iona Prep and not posting on this board?

Well, thank you for mistaking me for a legend within the lacrosse world, but I am actually the older brother of a kid on Preds.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, thank you for mistaking me for a legend within the lacrosse world, but I am actually the older brother of a kid on Preds.

Enough of this crap already!!!!! Please !!!

What makes this site interesting is fact about Teams, programs, Coaches, tournaments, kids, where the kids are going... Not who is better than one another or which team is. Good banter is interesting (i.e. those two kids from Yorktown committed to D1 yet not going to Yorktown or Lakeland or Foxlane) Why aren't they? How's the youth program they were in? Where did they develop the fundamentals of the game?...Why Iona Prep? Is this a trend? ......... That's interesting stuff !!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What makes this site interesting is fact about Teams, programs, Coaches, tournaments, kids, where the kids are going... Not who is better than one another or which team is. Good banter is interesting (i.e. those two kids from Yorktown committed to D1 yet not going to Yorktown or Lakeland or Foxlane) Why aren't they? How's the youth program they were in? Where did they develop the fundamentals of the game?...Why Iona Prep? Is this a trend? ......... That's interesting stuff !!!

yes good question why Iona and not KC

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
kinda seems like Iona had a head start. Kennedy not quite at Iona level but the team at Kennedy as done an admirable job improving the program

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why would a good player in Yorktown drive 40 minutes to Iona Prep? Yorktown is still a hotbed for lacrosse with a great youth program and experienced coaches on Varsity and JV staffs. Why leave Yorktown?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kennedy had great coaches that kids love to play for
Just ask JJ parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guys, its real simple. The club coaches are now coaching on the HS level and recruiting their club players to these private schools. It aint brain surgery boys!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so What is Bronxville's secret with 100 kids or so per class.

also Darien, ridgefield kids play all over

In the absence of quality coaches at Bronxville, the wealthy parents sent their kids out to Long Island to be trained. They got some results out of that. However, in recent years they have sent the kid s to local clubs and as a result the talent pool is shrinking back to what one would expect from a school their size. As the last of the long Island trained kids graduate, Bronxville will no longer be a powerhouse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In the absence of quality coaches at Bronxville, the wealthy parents sent their kids out to Long Island to be trained. They got some results out of that. However, in recent years they have sent the kid s to local clubs and as a result the talent pool is shrinking back to what one would expect from a school their size. As the last of the long Island trained kids graduate, Bronxville will no longer be a powerhouse.

Interesting and insightful

I believe where the true value is in the youth programs where you have buy-in from the varsity coaches. Varsity coaches wants kids they can teach the game at a high level, which means they want fundamental taught at the youth level. If a varsity coach has to spend time on stick skills, ground balls..... it is a waste of time and a formula for a season that will never be successful. That is why the programs where the head coach instills in the youth program fundamentals, terminology... it makes the transition smoother once they hit high school. Winning is nice at that level but what everyone looks at is the high school program success. Don't get me wrong as the club level and outside training has a lot to do with it, but as long as the town\youth program can focus on the fundamentals and develop kids, it will lead to success.

WHy is Yorktown so good? Look at their youth program, John Jay (CR), Somers, Lakeland-Panas, Rye, P'Ville, B'Ville, Larchmont-Mamaroneck, Darien, Wilton, New Canaan, Ridgefield.... (I now I am missing some)...... All have strong youth programs and look at their success. Yes there will be off years, but consistently at the top

Club teams definitely have their place and are a very important part of the game these days for the kids. I have heard comments they are more important than the high school teams ( I would disagree), but truth be told this where a majority of the recruiting process is done now a days for the kids. The exposure they get at the club level is second to none.

Anyway I can keep going but tried to keep it short and sweet. Would love to hear thoughts on this, but not the nonsense about who is better than one another, this coach is selfish, ....... JUst good lax talk.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kennedy had great coaches that kids love to play for
Just ask JJ parents.

my question stemmed from KC was 9 miles away and Iona 20+ . A good lax player makes an impact @ KC dont think a good player makes that much of an impact @ IP. Was it education, I think there is also a big difference in cost? Either way Go Gaels.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

some even sent their kids further, but lately many sent their kids to HS outside of BXvile.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I could not agree more about the roles of youth programs/high school teams/club teams. We live in one of the towns you mentioned and have an extremely strong youth program which provides a good foundation to kids, but also balances competition with fun and offers a broad range of team levels (house and travel) for younger kids since many develop and are interested at varying levels.
Once players decide whether they really want to devote extra time to lacrosse and challenge themselves at the next level (middle school age for the most part), club teams provide an excellent option to do just that, giving kids more exposure to other coaching styles, teammates from other towns and a broader range of strong competition. High school teams are certainly critical, particularly for those fortunate enough to have strong programs, but you are absolutely correct when you say that the emphasis has shifted to the club teams as far as recruiting is concerned. All players I am aware of (granted, there may be an exception here and there) who have been recruited in our town have done so based upon their club experience, with the support of the high school coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When a local community has the following dynamics, the sport/kids thrive:A) organized youth program with invested parent coaches, B) travel program starting young with coaches who know the sport, C) local places for more intense training (domes, cages, fields, etc.), D) strong private club options, E) modified/high school that teaches a system, F) high school team with coach who knows the community, G) alums and parents who give back in ways that foster the sport.

That Mamaroneck hockey and baseball coach has his fingerprint on little leaguers, coaches, clinics, etc- they dominate on state level. Yorktown and Darien lax do the same. From my POV, Rye and Greenwich lose too many to private schools, the sense of community isn't as strong, teams are good but not elite.

The community fosters the sport with the high school program being the center.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid went thru the LMYL program with Dad coaches who were awesome. Great guys with good knowledge who created a great environment. It shows in the high school program. A great experience for the boys.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid went thru the LMYL program with Dad coaches who were awesome. Great guys with good knowledge who created a great environment. It shows in the high school program. A great experience for the boys.

My kids went through the YAC in Yorktown and received very good coaching from parent coaches, but not every program has the experienced and dedicated parents to teach the game. I think the coaching in YAC has actually improved since my boys played and hopefully that results in championships. We've noticed too many of the Yorktown lacrosse alumni have been hired by other programs to teach their kids. Competition is good for the overall level of lacrosse in Westchester but it would be nice if a few more alumni came back to Town. Don't forget where you come from. Good luck to everyone this season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why would a good player in Yorktown drive 40 minutes to Iona Prep? Yorktown is still a hotbed for lacrosse with a great youth program and experienced coaches on Varsity and JV staffs. Why leave Yorktown?

Since you seem to know the kids recruited from Yorktown for the current sophmores and freshman, how is the recruiting going for the other sophomores from the surrounding northern towns (Lakeland, Somers, Mahopac, John Jay) ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go to laxpower for the answers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
His dad works at IONA Prep he is a coach, read the whole thread!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Somers v Yorktown was an interesting game. Yorktown is down one pole, yet it looked like total chaos on defense. May need time to gel as a unit. They looked good when the ball was moving, need to see more of that. Somers has a few very good players but they also need to keep the ball moving and work on finishing. Better shot selection will serve them well. Good luck to both teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yorktown SPANKED by Darien today. Not even close. . . .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At least they have the balls to step on the field with a team like that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At least they have the balls to step on the field with a team like that

Why isn't Yorktown a "team like that" or maybe one that's even close to that talent level? So instead of posting how Yorktown is tough enough to schedule an embarrassing thrashing, maybe we could be debating how competitive the game was. John Jay wins the Section in 2017. Heck, need to get past Lakeland first.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John Jay over Smithtown East, won it in OT on the Island. Great win for John Jay!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coach schurr and his coaches have done a fantastic job so far of taking a group of solid players (not superstars) and playing like a team. Congrats to all the boys Keep up the great work

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coach schurr and his coaches have done a fantastic job so far of taking a group of solid players (not superstars) and playing like a team. Congrats to all the boys Keep up the great work

John Jay has just as many top players as any area program and they play unselfish ball.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok. But what I am saying is that from an offensive perspective - on paper , smithtown is stacked with high level d1 commits , John jay has a high quality team , but your right, unselfish play, solid defense and hard work trumped the higher powered offense. Not to mention like 14 seniors while John jay has 4. Great job all around by the John jay team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Solid defense 16 goals?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good coaching certainly helps and JJ is fortunate to have Schurr and the other coaches.

Having said that, anyone who has been following youth lacrosse over recent years knows that this group - junior class in particular - are as talented a group as any coach could hope for. Anthing short of a deep run into post season will be a disappointment. This is a year where coaches and players alike need to "prove it" and live up to expectations.

Great group that you can't help but root for.

Like Reply Quote
Page 31 of 97 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 96 97
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard