BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 44 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 43 44
Re: Girls 2021 - 8th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
That's just silly. To get into MD, UNC, UVA, etc as a lacrosse player you only need to score over 1000 on your SAT. Those schools can safely assume that due to the demographics of lacrosse playing youth, 99% of the kids will be able to meet that requirement. It's a whole different ballgame when you are required to get a 1350 or 1400. The Ivies have self-imposed rules against this and offer no athletic money regardless. So what exactly is she committed to? She's committed to the admission process at Yale University. A process which won't begin for her for another 3 years.

What a loser you are

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does someone "commit" to Yale in 8th grade? Can't imagine Yale coach is thrilled that was on twitter

Great kid, great family, congrats to them! 21's heating up.

Hilarious. How the [lacrosse] does Yale have any clue the girl can qualify for admission?

Yale forbids their recruits from posting on social media until at least the end of10th grade. I know several in this situation. When the coach gets wind of this, the offer will likely be rescinded.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's just silly. To get into MD, UNC, UVA, etc as a lacrosse player you only need to score over 1000 on your SAT. Those schools can safely assume that due to the demographics of lacrosse playing youth, 99% of the kids will be able to meet that requirement. It's a whole different ballgame when you are required to get a 1350 or 1400. The Ivies have self-imposed rules against this and offer no athletic money regardless. So what exactly is she committed to? She's committed to the admission process at Yale University. A process which won't begin for her for another 3 years.

What is different about this year is the potential change in recruiting rules that gets voted on in April with a yet to be determined implementation date. With that uncertainty, coaches are going to try and get their 2021s now. If implementation date is Sept 2021, then this summer will be a feeding frenzy. Some have started now to get the jump.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does someone "commit" to Yale in 8th grade? Can't imagine Yale coach is thrilled that was on twitter

[quote=Anonymous]How does someone "commit" to Yale in 8th grade? Can't imagine Yale coach is thrilled that was on twitter

Great kid, great family, congrats to them! 21's heating up

21s not heating up yet outside a few at YJs. Please give them a little time, they are in 8th grade for God's sake. Congrats to those who have committed, sound like great kids. But a lot of others not ready yet and don't need the pressure at 14 about things "heating up" already.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]How does someone "commit" to Yale in 8th grade? Can't imagine Yale coach is thrilled that was on twitter

21s not heating up yet outside a few at YJs. Please give them a little time, they are in 8th grade for God's sake. Congrats to those who have committed, sound like great kids. But a lot of others not ready yet and don't need the pressure at 14 about things "heating up" already.

Agreed, slow your roll with heating up. 3 girls have committed (Navy, Maryland and now Yale), that's great for them and their families. Let the others just play some lacrosse.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed, slow your roll with heating up. 3 girls have committed (Navy, Maryland and now Yale), that's great for them and their families. Let the others just play some lacrosse.

Its actually 4 commits from the team and several others have offers but are riding out to see all options. But agree, plenty of time for this age group. This summer/fall will be the height of it, especially since many/most programs are still on 2020 and even not finished with 2019s, and not even considering 21's. The programs these girls committed to have decided to leap out and start with 21's, and the girls were obviously happy to accept, congrats to all. Not sure what your definition of heating up would be, but a fair amount of girls on this team are seeing it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
M&D black has now committed a 2021 to Md as well. Can we say heating up yet?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh yeah heating up alright. 5 or so girls verbally committed out of 112 D1 programs?(Not counting the new programs that haven't started yet) Just stop it with the crazy talk.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
M&D black has now committed a 2021 to Md as well. Can we say heating up yet?

I guess I will now have to agree with you. Congrats to the kid not a comment on them individually at all, but the whole thing is entirely ridiculous and has gotten completely out of hand committing kids half way through their 8th grade years. This is going to lead to many more de-commitments and poaching from coaches. Let a hope sanity prevails and the NCAA proposal gets passed

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its actually 4 commits from the team and several others have offers but are riding out to see all options. But agree, plenty of time for this age group. This summer/fall will be the height of it, especially since many/most programs are still on 2020 and even not finished with 2019s, and not even considering 21's. The programs these girls committed to have decided to leap out and start with 21's, and the girls were obviously happy to accept, congrats to all. Not sure what your definition of heating up would be, but a fair amount of girls on this team are seeing it.

4 commits awesome, been to a bunch of tournaments last few years, has this team won anything? Have they ever beaten any top md teams? We know they have won the social media title so far though.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess all that shows is winning these stupid tournaments really doesn't matter. What does matter is being on the right team and getting the right exposure.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A Yale committ, please say they said you need to achieve at least a 31 on ACT.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hilarious. How the [lacrosse] does Yale have any clue the girl can qualify for admission?

Yale forbids their recruits from posting on social media until at least the end of10th grade. I know several in this situation. When the coach gets wind of this, the offer will likely be rescinded.

WRONG!! They won't rescind the offer. Smh. The kid is as great a student as she is an athlete. These comments are sad, just sad.
Great family. Great kid. Well deserved offer, and yes, in 8th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A Yale committ, please say they said you need to achieve at least a 31 on ACT.

Based on my daughter' experience, Ivy test requirements vary based on how high you are on their list/needs since all Ivy's are subject to the Academic Index (AI) and they need the total scores of the entire recruiting class to hit certain thresholds. For the AI at Ivy's test scores count 2/3 for AI and grades 1/3 so if your kid is a good player and a good test taken, they are valuable to the school. Stanford said minimum 30 ACT and wanted a significant amount of honors/APs, Duke said minimum 28 and Notre Dame minimum 27. This was at least what my daughter was told, hope this helps people.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wrong I see a Yale 2020 posted on STEPS website ... that's ninth grade

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wrong I see a Yale 2020 posted on STEPS website ... that's ninth grade

The post above this with the test scores is what you need to hit to ultimately get in not at the time you commit. That is what I meant, minimum bar that was communicated to my daughter in order to get admitted. Just cause you verbal, you still need to get in and hit the scores, GPA, etc

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hoping someone can give me some honest answers. My oldest (so this is my first time through this) is a 2021. She is a defender on her club team and loves it. She's 5'8" and uses her size and speed well against the other top club teams over the summer. However, on her MS team last year they used her as a middie because she is one of a large handful that has skills and understands the game. Typical of other MS, we had club girls and new lax players on the field at the same time. She likes middie but her heart is on D. She has very good grades so she'll get into the college of her choice.

My question to those that have been there before is.....are the defenders recruited to college programs typically defenders on their club teams or are they converted middies moved back to D? Mind you, I'm realistic, she's not going to a top 10 lax program, or top 20 for that matter. She probably slots in mid D1 to upper D2 program because of her length and speed. D is all about hard work and effort, with very little glory, but that's what she likes about it. She's not the kind of kid that needs to score to realize she contributes. She loves the challenge of shutting down the other teams stud. Just wondering if that mindset will stunt her chances of playing in college because she's on D. Thanks for all opinions!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hoping someone can give me some honest answers. My oldest (so this is my first time through this) is a 2021. She is a defender on her club team and loves it. She's 5'8" and uses her size and speed well against the other top club teams over the summer. However, on her MS team last year they used her as a middie because she is one of a large handful that has skills and understands the game. Typical of other MS, we had club girls and new lax players on the field at the same time. She likes middie but her heart is on D. She has very good grades so she'll get into the college of her choice.

My question to those that have been there before is.....are the defenders recruited to college programs typically defenders on their club teams or are they converted middies moved back to D? Mind you, I'm realistic, she's not going to a top 10 lax program, or top 20 for that matter. She probably slots in mid D1 to upper D2 program because of her length and speed. D is all about hard work and effort, with very little glory, but that's what she likes about it. She's not the kind of kid that needs to score to realize she contributes. She loves the challenge of shutting down the other teams stud. Just wondering if that mindset will stunt her chances of playing in college because she's on D. Thanks for all opinions!

Not from personal experience, but I would think a middie who can be converted to D would be seen as more versatile and a bigger asset to the college team. As you said, defenders don't get the glory and not sure how many coaches focus on that side of the ball when recruiting. That said, I know of a senior defender going D2 next year who still has no offhand.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid isn't a top 5 lax program kid, i don't know who is...size,speed,stick,iq and grades...Your shooting to low...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not from personal experience, but I would think a middie who can be converted to D would be seen as more versatile and a bigger asset to the college team. As you said, defenders don't get the glory and not sure how many coaches focus on that side of the ball when recruiting. That said, I know of a senior defender going D2 next year who still has no offhand.

Hopefully the teams your talking about can outscore everyone and not need a stop late in the game. Not sure how many coaches focus on that side of the ball when recruiting? That said, thats the only defender you know? Hopefully the original poster won't listen to you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

have her play both if possible. The more things she can do on the well on the field the more recruitable she is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

have her play both if possible. The more things she can do on the well on the field the more recruitable she is.

What club does she play for? what do they think?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What club does she play for? what do they think?

Her club coach loves her on D, she doesn't sniff middie on the club team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
She will get recruited as a defender, especially if she is shutting down studs and taking charges. Defenders may not always be the first to catch the eye of recruiters, but they definitely are sought out to fill those D spots. I do agree with the prior poster. If she can play another position in addition, she is well rounded therefore more marketable.
Best of luck to your daughter!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the 2021 defender parent original poster - I could have written your post. We are hoping HS team will be the answer. Mine is "too valuable" on the crease per club but we have many coaching changes ahead in the coming years, as you will also. Best of luck to your daughter !

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm the original poster. Thanks everyone, this was helpful! Good luck to all the girls this season.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are not that many 5'8" 2021 kids, easy to figure out. Sounds like she has a lot of talent. If she wants to be recruted, go to yjs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are not that many 5'8" 2021 kids, easy to figure out. Sounds like she has a lot of talent. If she wants to be recruted, go to yjs.

Several programs have defenders that are 5'8" or so. Leg a sea and TG both have defenders that are around this height. I think leg has 3-4 that are 5'8" or taller. YJ doesn't have any defenders that size. There are more that you think that are around 5'8" in this age group now (at all positions), maybe not last summer, but now I would say that there are at a bunch of them now. There are a few that are close to 5'10" on LI.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Several programs have defenders that are 5'8" or so. Leg a sea and TG both have defenders that are around this height. I think leg has 3-4 that are 5'8" or taller. YJ doesn't have any defenders that size. There are more that you think that are around 5'8" in this age group now (at all positions), maybe not last summer, but now I would say that there are at a bunch of them now. There are a few that are close to 5'10" on LI.

Height as the only factor is irrelevant.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

finally someone with a brain!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What club does she play for?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would think that if they were any good CR would have scooped them up by now? Can't be too hard to find the 5'10" 8th graders?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nobody said height was the only factor, but it is definitely a big factor. Especially for a defender that can also move.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nobody said height was the only factor, but it is definitely a big factor. Especially for a defender that can also move.

Actually, height was the only factor mentioned, no reference to any
other technical or physical skill/ability. This has been a fairly constant refrain from someone in this thread throughout the years, wants their tall daughter on YJ top team and has made height the issue.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would rather put that person on the circle. Tall defenders are sometimes like giant windmills and the quick players blow right around them

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

other technical or physical skill/ability. This has been a fairly constant refrain from someone in this thread throughout the years, wants their tall daughter on YJ top team and has made height the issue.

Most tall girls can't play very well. It is a trait more common with slow and awkward. Look at all the dominating players through the years in NCAA. Height has nothing to do with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most tall girls can't play very well. It is a trait more common with slow and awkward. Look at all the dominating players through the years in NCAA. Height has nothing to do with it.

Hahaha, nice try....child.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So where are the 5'8"-5'10" 8th grade phenoms playing?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid is 5'11" and going to a top 5 program. she's a skilled attacker with a wicked underhand shot and good field iq. So I guess your theory is out!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I'm guessing your short and ate your way into an attack position

Page 31 of 44 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard