BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A bit overwhelming.
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Good afternoon, this is my first post and my real first experience with travel lacrosse. I know I am late to the party but was thinking about next season. I have a son presently in 3rd grade playing in our local travel team. I am happy with the program but feel he needs more. I am interested in him joining one of the other travel programs in existence on long island. I guess my choices are, Long Island Express, Team Igloo, Team 91, fl$ & Team recon. I think there are more and would certainly like to know about all of them as to see what would be a good fit for my son. Our family lives in Nassau County. After reading posts for the last few hours i have noticed that people have opinions about all of the programs. Some bad and some good. I have also noticed that programs fluctuate form year to year. Having a very strong team one year and a weak team the following. My son is getting into it. A year ago I would've said he was one of the bottom level players but worked his butt off this past summer & winter participating in clinics. Now I would say he is the middle of the pack of a completive program. Having personally grown up with travels sports myself i am aware of the BS that permeates any program. I guess my question is what programs are there? Does anyone have a no BS assessment of any program? Any recommendations? You can send me a private message so as not to be bashed by other members. I just want to join a program where my son learns and improves. My desire to figure the best fit for my son is what matters too me. I know wins and losses are also a good thing BUT would rather have him play than me feeding my ego on making an ELITE team. Thank you in advance for your help!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: A bit overwhelming.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My advice is more important than the program he is in, is the coach of the team. Try to find out who coaches,maybe you know people who have kids on the team, who played for that coach. If not, try to find people who did. The coach means everthing. I don't care so much what the coach did 20 years ago as a player. I care more than anything else, is he committed. If he coaches a lot of other teams, does he have time and motivation to coach my sons team. Some coaches care so much, some go through the motions. My son has had both. This is a lot of money these days, plus there is always additional fees and this BS fee or that BS fee. Tons of fees. Plus a lot of those summer weekends that you would do family trips are now going to be lacrosse weekends. It could be tough on kids and siblings who don't play, spending hours on lacrosse fields. Like anything its a business. If you get the right committed guy coaching your kid, it could be a great expierience, worth the money and time. Good luck to you and your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the best kids will always find a place in college. don't believe the and pay into the snack oil salesmen. Your kid was probably born with 85% of his ability. No money or club in the world is going to make him michael jordan

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Thank you everyone for your replies. This travel lacrosse thing is not for the faint in heart. I believe in my son that he will get better, I am not looking for the next Rabil or Pannell but rather a person who takes away travel sports as an education like I did. Growing up I had three maybe four programs to choose from. Now with social media you can spend almost a day reading about programs and still not have a clue where to go. I think you are correct it is all about coaching. I know most teams have been selected. He is in only third grade and i notice some kids on my sons team are proficient and knowledgable about the game. My son is enjoying it but still learning. I feel by the end of the spring I will have a better idea on which way to go. Once again thank you!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This summer is more or less set for most teams.. Definately spots still available but not s open as next fall for next summer's teams. Spend a few weekends going to a few local tournaments. Talk to parents and watch a few games. Especially if you are interested in only a few programs. Seeing the coach and seeing the poarents in action will be more informative than anything anyone will say about one program or another. Good luck

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In this age group go play for 9d1. 9d1 himself has a kid in that age group and he is coaching our boys up. it is inexpensive considering the level of activity and the guy is GREAT with the little ones. That is my recommendation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait until at least 7th grade before joining a serious travel program. None of them will make your son demonstrably better. Better off with private/group training.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
9 D 1 owner has a kid in 2nd grade not 3rd

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
9 D 1 owner has a kid in 2nd grade not 3rd

You are right i didn't read the original posters grade correctly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait until at least 7th grade before joining a serious travel program. None of them will make your son demonstrably better. Better off with private/group training.

Honestly, it's extremely difficult to break onto a quality team in 6th grade or above. Almost impossible. I don't care how good he is, there will most likely be someone just as good, or at least close enough, that it's not worth replacing a kid who the coaches know, and who knows the offense/defense with a relative unknown. That's the reality.

If you want to get onto one of the top 5 teams, you need to do it ASAP or it's just not going to happen.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Well, I am going to take my time. My son has skills but needs to learn the game. I don't think placing him on an elite team and riding the bench is going to help. He needs some confidence. After a week of researching and asking some friends there opinions I am leaning towards Team Recon. If he starts to hit his stride and if it takes a year or two I will see where we are at. Like professional sport teams there is fluctuations and what is an "elite" team today might be middle of the pack in a year or two. Not hoping for that of course. Lacrosse is growing especially on Long Island. I just want to see my son play and improve. If anyone has an opinion please let me know what you think. Thank you everyone for your help.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You present this as if it is your choice when you decide to join a "serious" team. The problem with ur current environment is that teams turnover 5-6 kids a year and have 40 kids tryout for those spots. By 7th grade its worse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You present this as if it is your choice when you decide to join a "serious" team. The problem with ur current environment is that teams turnover 5-6 kids a year and have 40 kids tryout for those spots. By 7th grade its worse.

It is your choice. If your kid is good enough he will make the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Jjmmagoo
Well, I am going to take my time. My son has skills but needs to learn the game. I don't think placing him on an elite team and riding the bench is going to help. He needs some confidence. After a week of researching and asking some friends there opinions I am leaning towards Team Recon. If he starts to hit his stride and if it takes a year or two I will see where we are at. Like professional sport teams there is fluctuations and what is an "elite" team today might be middle of the pack in a year or two. Not hoping for that of course. Lacrosse is growing especially on Long Island. I just want to see my son play and improve. If anyone has an opinion please let me know what you think. Thank you everyone for your help.

Recon is about the only program I am aware of who has open spots AND has announced same so that they could fill those spots. I suspect there are other programs that might have holes, but they don't seem to be overtly trying to fill them based upon the lack of communication. Recon's program is not bad - they try to instill the right values in the boys and teach the game - they may not usually break into the top tier talent wise for a full roster, but they've got some decent or better players here and there.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Recon is about the only program I am aware of who has open spots AND has announced same so that they could fill those spots. I suspect there are other programs that might have holes, but they don't seem to be overtly trying to fill them based upon the lack of communication. Recon's program is not bad - they try to instill the right values in the boys and teach the game - they may not usually break into the top tier talent wise for a full roster, but they've got some decent or better players here and there.

Pretty much what I am looking for. I think the other organizations are out of our league right now. I want him to learn the game. Have fun. I have heard wonderful things about all the programs. Also heard some negative things. This is our first travel team not including our local squad. So we shall see. I dont want him turned off. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. Thank you for your insight!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Honestly, it's extremely difficult to break onto a quality team in 6th grade or above. Almost impossible. I don't care how good he is, there will most likely be someone just as good, or at least close enough, that it's not worth replacing a kid who the coaches know, and who knows the offense/defense with a relative unknown. That's the reality.

If you want to get onto one of the top 5 teams, you need to do it ASAP or it's just not going to happen.

Completely false. If your son is that good, the top teams will ALL be after him. They're always looking for the next best kid. Ask the trail of kids jettisoned from the Turtles, Extreme, Terps, Crush, etc... Always opportunity for a spot.
Most importantly, you don't need to be on TOP team to get recruited down the line. If kid is superstar, HOP and UNC will find him. Being on ABC lax team means zero. For the rest of the kids, play hard, develop, and your time will come. Standouts will always standout, regardless of team. My son was on a decent travel team, made all-star at Philly Showcase and Showtime, many schools were interested! Played on decent AA team, not top by any stretch, over 10+ kids now D1 commits.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, if your kid is that top 1% (or let's say 5%) he will be found and coveted and club teams will make room for him. But if your kid is like most, a really good lacrosse player, you need to be on a "good, name" team. How do you think you get the invite to Philly Showcase and Showtime? Your club coach, who also makes all the intro's to college coaches. My kid was on a relatively unknown new club (that wasn't over an hour drive for practice) that had some talent (four kids went on to D1, a bunch to quality D2/3) but not a one got an invite to a "quality" recruiting event until our team disbanded and the kids went to more name brand clubs. And as a previous poster mentioned, breaking into a club after they have been together for many years is not as easy as it sounds. A few of our kids couldn't bump any established players even though they were better, just not that much better for a club owner to tell a family that has been paying them thousands over the years to go find a new home.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't worry your established son is safe.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, here is my two cents. My kid played for 91, Legacy, Empire and now a small local travel team. Junior is not a top 5 or probably 10 percenter but is a good player. I have had coaches call for my 13 soon to be 14 year old to come play for their team. My son will not major in lacrosse when he goes to college but will probably play somewhere for fun (which means no stress worring about scholarships). I have found that MY kid plays his best ball when he is comfortable with the team and coach. Screamers are a no go, and I mean coaches and parents. When Junior is out there and he feels like he has to perform the stress gets to him and you can predict the results. The team he is on now there is a level of comfort because he knows the kids and the coach and the game becomes just that, a game and not a job interview. One of the other posts somebody said go watch a couple of local tournaments, go watch the coach and the team parents. You can learn a lot about a team watching the parents. Your kid is a 3rd grader, you don't need to be top tier today. Let him do the climbing and enjoy the ride because it goes fast.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So many sports to choose. Lacrosse can be a development tool to build character, teamwork, respect and fun. It all depends on the order of priorities you have for your boy. I can not afford for this to be "just go have fun" environment. Every practice is to learn and develop as a person player and teammate. That is my approach. There is more responsibility on a child but I find that it keeps my son focused and responsible.

Long Island Lacrosse is watered down. Too many teams with broken promises and way too much $$$..

The earlier post was dead on.. Talk to Parents. A lot of parents. Its a year round commitment and you want to choose wisely.

Set your goals for your boy and see what program will meet them. In todays lax environment you have to be half parent half sports agent.
Good luck and enjoy it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would look into Team 24. New Team and run by a great guy who is not greedy. 1/2 the price of other clubs and you get a lot for your money. Great coaches as well. My kid is on the 2025 and loves it.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Once again thank you everyone for your replies. I did ask around. I asked friends who sons have been on team IGLOO, Long Island express, and fl$. Part of my reasoning for my son joining Team Recon is the fact he will be branching out from the other squads. He will be able to play and meet new teammates and hopefully make new friends. He will still be playing on the local PAL team. What I am looking for is him to develop and play. I am being honest in my assessment of his abilities. I think he has potential. He has the skill set but hasn't up-ed is Field IQ yet. There are some kids on his local team that get it. They know where to go. My son still needs to learn that. If he improves enough to play in high school than i accomplished my goal. I am not thinking college but feel if he develops he could possibly play somewhere. At any rate, I am very happy with the choice of TEAM RECON and he is excited to play.

Once again thank you for all of your insight. Not easy to figure all of this out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once again thank you everyone for your replies. I did ask around. I asked friends who sons have been on team IGLOO, Long Island express, and fl$. Part of my reasoning for my son joining Team Recon is the fact he will be branching out from the other squads. He will be able to play and meet new teammates and hopefully make new friends. He will still be playing on the local PAL team. What I am looking for is him to develop and play. I am being honest in my assessment of his abilities. I think he has potential. He has the skill set but hasn't up-ed is Field IQ yet. There are some kids on his local team that get it. They know where to go. My son still needs to learn that. If he improves enough to play in high school than i accomplished my goal. I am not thinking college but feel if he develops he could possibly play somewhere. At any rate, I am very happy with the choice of TEAM RECON and he is excited to play.

Once again thank you for all of your insight. Not easy to figure all of this out.

As long as your kid is happy that is what matters most.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
team 24 is advertising in the local pennysaver that they need coaches. Cheap come expensive

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
team 24 is advertising in the local pennysaver that they need coaches. Cheap come expensive

Well the 2025 team is all set guy.. Who care where they advertise you ball bag. It's a new team. Go over pay for crappy results. Fool.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A team hiring coaches is a bit overwhelming? why is that? please elaborate?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LOL, this guy comes on the forum to knock a team and has less command of the English language than my 5th. grader. Laughable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets see where 24 is after 2 years. 9--1, Xpress, Igloo and many more have sustained success at the youth level and beyond for years . 24 sounded good, but they advertised teams from 2-8th grade and fields at St Pauls in GC. not that many teams, no fields at St. Pauls, and no coaches. BTW ,good luck 2025s. im sure 9-1, express and Igloo will dismantle your cheaper alternative

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets see where 24 is after 2 years. 9--1, Xpress, Igloo and many more have sustained success at the youth level and beyond for years . 24 sounded good, but they advertised teams from 2-8th grade and fields at St Pauls in GC. not that many teams, no fields at St. Pauls, and no coaches. BTW ,good luck 2025s. im sure 9-1, express and Igloo will dismantle your cheaper alternative

We will roll igloo you fool. We did practice at St Pauls during first few months then moved in doors like all other teams do. 9D1 has 700 teams so not sure which team you are referring to but if it is the 2 crappy teams they sent to Hershey last year I am not worries as my sons town team beat them. We already beat 1 of the Express teams. We may not be ready for Legacy or Express Channy just yet but most teams aren't. The 2025 team will be just fine now go get your shine box boy. We want our shoes to look nice for the summer...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A team hiring coaches is a bit overwhelming? why is that? please elaborate?

Who said it was overwhelming? Put the joint down and get with the rest of us pumpkin.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cheap come expensive???? What does that even mean. Is that Ebonics? Holla

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what a GC [lacrosse], wanna be CSH response

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well the 2025 team is all set guy.. Who care where they advertise you ball bag. It's a new team. Go over pay for crappy results. Fool.

I can't say anything good or bad about the 24 program, but new program/team or not, if you can't find coaches via the lacrosse community, resorting to ads seems like a less than positive situation. And there are plenty of comparably priced programs to 24 that are well established.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can't say anything good or bad about the 24 program, but new program/team or not, if you can't find coaches via the lacrosse community, resorting to ads seems like a less than positive situation. And there are plenty of comparably priced programs to 24 that are well established.

They have coaches for every team they field so i am not sure what you guys are talking about. They are looking for additional coaches as they are looking to expand and to do that you need coaches. Comparable programs? Please name a few.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what a GC [lacrosse], wanna be CSH response

Wanna be CSH response? What does that mean? You are just as FN stupid as your homeboy..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi- Outlaws send an email each week thru BOTC - regarding open spots on their teams- I am pretty sure they have an opening on the 2026/27 team

they practice in huntington

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
put him on a team for this year. see what you think. if you like the team, he likes the team and he improves, stay there. if not hit the try out circuit in august. i would try and go with a team that plays in some of the better tournaments. will put him against better competition and he will improve. good luck.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
put him on a team for this year. see what you think. if you like the team, he likes the team and he improves, stay there. if not hit the try out circuit in august. i would try and go with a team that plays in some of the better tournaments. will put him against better competition and he will improve. good luck.

Thank you, That is exactly the game plan!

Good luck you as well!

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard