BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 214 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 213 214
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My female students are telling me he AD will be requiring them to wear helmets for the games but his year. I checked into it and it hey are correct. They are very upset. Can they mandate his?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The helmets are approved for use. Its not mandated yet in NY State. I think it is left to the discretion of each section or School at this time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The helmets are approved for use. Its not mandated yet in NY State. I think it is left to the discretion of each section or School at this time.

Any and all teams who do not wear helmets should refuse to play teams who are wearing helmets. No way in [lacrosse] would I step on the field to play against them, and it's not right that a coach or AD makes that descision for my daughter. I don't have a problem with the idea of girls wearing helmets, but it has to be all the girls from both teams wearing them or nobody wears them. It puts extreme risk on the girls and is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If my daughter gets put in that position and gets hurt, I will Certainly be looking into the lawsuit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congratulations dad. It sounds like your daughter is the ONE on our team that will play in college. She is surrounded by some other pretty good athletes the award winning volleyball, basketball and soccer players. They are above average in any sport they play. Just because they don't go down to Maryland everyone weekend over the summer doesn't mean they cant play lax. So tell your kid to pass the ball because with your kid scoring 100 goals we still will only be 500 as a team

What town do you live in? What type of awards are these athletes receiving? It doesn't appear as though any of the teams would be very competitive if the girls only play the sport in-season. In our town, the best volleyball, basketball, and soccer players are playing year round and they travel as much if not more than the best lacrosse players.

Maybe HS sports have passed me by. Maybe now they are simply about everyone having a chance to play and be a part of the team. Now that I think about it I guess that is why High School sports now play second fiddle to the club teams. AAU Basketball, Travel Soccer, Club Volleyball, Travel Lacrosse etc... are all much more competitive than their HS counterparts. College Coaches do just about all of their recruiting on the AAU/Travel Circuit because that is where the top talent is.

The next thing you know they will stop keeping score at HS sporting events. Maybe they should take away the Cages, Baskets, Nets, Goals, Finish lines ect... Just have one big play date and let all of the girls participate. While we are at it lets get rid of the AP and Honors Classes as well and give everybody a C.

By the way, Who do you want this so called Ball Hog to pass the ball to? Oh thats right, your daughter. Why is that? Oh yeah, so she can be the one to score the goal.

I'd explain to you but it's been explained above and you are clearly too dense to comprehend. IF that's how you think it is, then I suspect you are one of those "pad the stats" parents who encourages his kid to run up her goals against weak teams. I can assure you that is not helping your daughter make friends, not is it helping you. It's a team sport, bucko. Any coach worth his or her salt can outcoach a one-stud team so it makes zero sense to run all plays through one player. Besides the out-coaching scenario, there's the injury situation: stud gets hurt and then what? A wise coach develops the entire team so he/she doesn't screw him/herself or the team. It's about depth, not about superstars or padded stats. You must be too shortsighted or close minded to realize that. [/quote]

You are just completely wrong, yes you want to develop the whole team but the best teams have kids that are role players and unfortunately parents like you refuse to accept their childs role unless its a goal scorer. Do you think every kid should do the draw or play goal, than why do you think every kid should be a shooter or a dodger. The best coaches put kids in positions to be successful.Look at successful college teams they have multiple scorers but most run their offense thru 2 or 3 key players 90 percent of the time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With respect to helmets:
Does anyone know what the policies are for each/their district?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only player allowed to wear a helmet on a girls Lacrosse field is the goalie. Soft head gear has been approved by USlacrosse for many years it is optional. the only State making it mandatory is Florida for HS girls lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only player allowed to wear a helmet on a girls Lacrosse field is the goalie. Soft head gear has been approved by USlacrosse for many years it is optional. the only State making it mandatory is Florida for HS girls lacrosse.

Do you mean that the only player "required" to wear a helmet is the goalie?
Or are you saying that field players can not wear helmets even if they wanted to?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh lord, are we still doing this top ranked D1 lacrosse thing?
Just in case you didn't notice there are no big offers to play at the professional level either. So why get crazy over this stuff?
After 4 years of D1 level of play only the player will care where they played.

AGREED

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Or are you saying that field players can not wear helmets even if they wanted to?

Correct. Sore head gear is a field players only option. I am a Girls official it is cut and dry, no gray area. Also the only player with a helmet happens to be the most concussed player in women's lacrosse. Helmets do not prevent concussions .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Correct. Sore head gear is a field players only option. I am a Girls official it is cut and dry, no gray area. Also the only player with a helmet happens to be the most concussed player in women's lacrosse. Helmets do not prevent concussions .

Thank you very much, any idea where it states that in writing? I agree with a previous poster, would not want to play opponents with helmets

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you very much, any idea where it states that in writing? I agree with a previous poster, would not want to play opponents with helmets

Then move to the progressive foul system throwing out hackers after 3,4,5 fouls like basketball. Ref your thoughts? Seems many are afraid to go to yellows and reds. The progressive system gets them out without the cards

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is not an Offical on Long Island that would allow a game to be played with field players wearing helmets. Soft head gear approved by us lacrosse yes. Helmets no. Look it up in the rule book you can download it from uslax web site

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Levittown is purchasing helmets for all of their girls teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then move to the progressive foul system throwing out hackers after 3,4,5 fouls like basketball. Ref your thoughts? Seems many are afraid to go to yellows and reds. The progressive system gets them out without the cards

Bad idea. You will have more offensive players charging into defenders trying to draw fouls and have defenders accumulate fouls. defenders will rack up fouls and be disqualified. The game is skewed to the offense already. In some games it is impossible for defenders to play defense due to terrible officiating. Officials do not call offensive charges and consistently bail out offensive players who run into double/triple teams with free position calls. Would like to see the rules enforced correctly and incorporate 1-2 min man-up penalties for major safety fouls outside the 8 meter

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I believe you are using the wrong term for what they are purchasing. Helmets are illegal for field players for women's lacrosse period end of story. If they are purchasing soft headgear and they choose to wear it so be it but by no means is it mandatory to wear it and I know my daughter would never wear it if she played for that school district. Soft headgear should be a personal choice not forced on the athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The safety calls aren't being made frequently or consistently enough (at least on LI) which has coaches and kids pushing the envelope and its really becoming dangerous. It doesn't help that the LI club scene silently condones the rough play all summer. If we don't go to progressive fouls or stricter officiating HELMETS ARE COMING.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I believe you are using the wrong term for what they are purchasing. Helmets are illegal for field players for women's lacrosse period end of story. If they are purchasing soft headgear and they choose to wear it so be it but by no means is it mandatory to wear it and I know my daughter would never wear it if she played for that school district. Soft headgear should be a personal choice not forced on the athletes.

No I was told by a school official they are purchasing the cascade helmets.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The safety calls aren't being made frequently or consistently enough (at least on LI) which has coaches and kids pushing the envelope and its really becoming dangerous. It doesn't help that the LI club scene silently condones the rough play all summer. If we don't go to progressive fouls or stricter officiating HELMETS ARE COMING.

Helmets are a terrible idea. Let the girls play and stop crying about every time someone touches you!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok... so how will helmets help. You just confirmed the point that officiating is terrible...so how will helmets change that. In fact helmets will make bad officiating worse since hits to head will now be called less frequently and offensive players will use helmets to their advantage. Bad idea...bad policy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cascade rounds up all the HS Superintendents on Long island and says "make the game safer buy our head gear" Sups all they hear is oh it will make game safer...Big Money Grab for Cascade with the disclaimer by them that it does not prevent concussions. Total Scam
Then it will trickle down to all the club teams: more $$ for them
Soccer players, where there are so many more instances of concussions dont have to wear head gear! Crazy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is that what Mt. Sinai bought? Helmet With the goggles/face mask built in? So your saying the refs will not allow these teams to wear the gear they just purchased? Section 11, the refs and all the AD's better get this figured out before the seasons starts. Sounds like it is going to be a big mess.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok... so how will helmets help. You just confirmed the point that officiating is terrible...so how will helmets change that. In fact helmets will make bad officiating worse since hits to head will now be called less frequently and offensive players will use helmets to their advantage. Bad idea...bad policy.

We live in a litigious society. Why do they keep messing with the football rules? Because of lawsuits. TERRIBLE OFFICIATING in girls lax is going to lead us to helmets. The rules are not properly enforced I think we can all agree on that. And since they aren't enforced, the players and coaches keep pushing the boundries

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to think there are more concussions in other sports like soccer and field hockey - maybe even basketball. Don't see why people feel helmets are needed. It will cause the pley to get even more physical which will hurt the sport. I have been around the sport for about 12 years at the youth level, high school level and college level and I can't recall more than a handfull of concussions over that time period. Best bet is to call the game tighter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If Levittown attempts to field a girls team wearing helmets the game will not be played until they are removed. Helmets are illegal in woman's lacrosse. Only the goalie is permitted to wear a helmet. Soft head gear or goggles are the only thing the girls are permitted to wear.Here is what is on US Lacrosse web site.
Women's Lacrosse Headgear FAQs
Points of Emphasis
The use of headgear is optional in girls' and women's lacrosse.
Any headgear used after January 1, 2017 must meet the ASTM standard, F3137.
The ASTM standard, F3137, is a performance standard, not a design standard.
Product designs will likely vary from one manufacturer to another.
Products must provide full coverage of the head.
Products must be worn with required ASTM women’s lacrosse eyewear.
There must be marking on both the packaging and product that states that the headgear conforms to ASTM standard F3137.
What does the standard mean?
The ASTM standard is the first-ever performance standard for women’s lacrosse headgear, developed to help reduce impact forces associated with stick and ball contact in women’s lacrosse.
Will the new headgear prevent concussions?
The headgear standard was developed to decrease ball- and stick-to-head impact force. No headgear or helmet in any sport has been proven to prevent concussions.
Is the use of headgear required?
No. Headgear remains optional in the US Lacrosse Youth Rule Book and in the USL/NFHS Rule Book.
When will this headgear be available?
Headgear products have begun to be available in the marketplace, as of September 2016. US Lacrosse has created an online listing for headgear models that have submitted a passing report in compliance with ASTM standard F3137.
Will the new headgear be soft?
ASTM standard F3137 is not a soft headgear standard and the standard itself makes no mention of the word "soft." However, the testing protocol does require that the product meets a certain flexibility to insure that players who are wearing the product do not injure those who are not.
How much will the new headgear products cost?
Products vary in cost and design. Please contact the headgear manufacturers for more information.
What will the headgear look like?
The ASTM standard requires the headgear to fully cover the head, thus precluding the use of head band type products currently used by some players. All headgear must be worn with required eyewear, and some headgear models have integrated eyewear. The standard has two options, allowing manufacturers to make their headgear with eyewear implemented or a product that is compatible with various eyewear products currently on the market.
For further inquiries, please contact Caitlin Kelley, Women's Game Senior Manager at US Lacrosse, at ckelley@uslacrosse.org.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The cascade helmet is soft head gear. It looks like a traditional rigid helmet but it is completely flexible, outside of the goggles.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Levittown bought helmets for the girls and a few parents that know the rules will protest with the girls, the AD took it upon himself without asking anyone for input. He did no research. I certainly hope officials do not allow it. The AD can be an obnoxious bully, would love to see this backfire on him. Sat next to him at a game last year and he was clueless as to how the game is played. Both my son and daughter play and both agree it's ridiculous

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cascade rounds up all the HS Superintendents on Long island and says "make the game safer buy our head gear" Sups all they hear is oh it will make game safer...Big Money Grab for Cascade with the disclaimer by them that it does not prevent concussions. Total Scam
Then it will trickle down to all the club teams: more $$ for them
Soccer players, where there are so many more instances of concussions dont have to wear head gear! Crazy

Spot on! Could you imagine soccer players wearing helmets?? Ridiculous to force these girls to wear helmets under the disguise of making them safer. Money grab for Cascade is right! They are ugly as they are useless

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If Levittown attempts to field a girls team wearing helmets the game will not be played until they are removed. Helmets are illegal in woman's lacrosse. Only the goalie is permitted to wear a helmet. Soft head gear or goggles are the only thing the girls are permitted to wear.Here is what is on US Lacrosse web site.
Points of Emphasis
There must be marking on both the packaging and product that states that the headgear conforms to ASTM standard F3137.
The ASTM standard is the first-ever performance standard for women’s lacrosse headgear, developed to help reduce impact forces associated with stick and ball contact in women’s lacrosse.
The headgear standard was developed to decrease ball- and stick-to-head impact force. No headgear or helmet in any sport has been proven to prevent concussions.
No. Headgear remains optional in the US Lacrosse Youth Rule Book and in the USL/NFHS Rule Book.
Headgear products have begun to be available in the marketplace, as of September 2016. US Lacrosse has created an online listing for headgear models that have submitted a passing report in compliance with ASTM standard F3137.
ASTM standard F3137 is not a soft headgear standard and the standard itself makes no mention of the word "soft." However, the testing protocol does require that the product meets a certain flexibility to insure that players who are wearing the product do not injure those who are not.
Products vary in cost and design. Please contact the headgear manufacturers for more information.
The ASTM standard requires the headgear to fully cover the head, thus precluding the use of head band type products currently used by some players. All headgear must be worn with required eyewear, and some headgear models have integrated eyewear. The standard has two options, allowing manufacturers to make their headgear with eyewear implemented or a product that is compatible with various eyewear products currently on the market.
For further inquiries, please contact Caitlin Kelley, Women's Game Senior Manager at US Lacrosse, at ckelley@uslacrosse.org.
The Cascade helmet is "soft" in that it has some flex. US Lacrosse does not govern or have any authority over High School athletics.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its the stick swinging not the concussions. Everyone gasps a few times a game watching some girl get whacked. Happens every game. People are scared of the lawsuits. This is the nanny state protestors want.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its the stick swinging not the concussions. Everyone gasps a few times a game watching some girl get whacked. Happens every game. People are scared of the lawsuits. This is the nanny state protestors want.

Girls need to toughen up and stop the whining! So you get wacked with a stick and get a little bruise, give me a break, you'll get a nice free shot!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Points of Emphasis
The Cascade helmet is "soft" in that it has some flex. US Lacrosse does not govern or have any authority over High School athletics.

Then do not call it a helmet it is called soft head gear. a helmet implies what a goalie is wearing there is a big difference between the two. US Lacrosse writes the rules that NYS adopts for HS Sports. Every official goes by the US Lacrosse rule book period. NYS has not mandated soft head gear for HS Girls Lacrosse for 2017.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Points of Emphasis

Then do not call it a helmet it is called soft head gear. a helmet implies what a goalie is wearing there is a big difference between the two. US Lacrosse writes the rules that NYS adopts for HS Sports. Every official goes by the US Lacrosse rule book period. NYS has not mandated soft head gear for HS Girls Lacrosse for 2017.

I think you are the only one that is getting worked up with the term helmet. Most of us know when the term helmet is used people are referring to the new girls lacrosse "helmet." It is a helmet....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hel·met
ˈhelmət/
noun
a hard or padded protective hat, various types of which are worn by soldiers, police officers, firefighters, motorcyclists, athletes, and others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's rephrase this.......

Any and all teams who do not wear helmets HARD OR SOFT, should refuse to play teams who are wearing helmets HARD OR SOFT. No way in [lacrosse] would I step on the field to play against them, and it's not right that a coach or AD makes that descision for my daughter. I don't have a problem with the idea of girls wearing helmets HARD OR SOFT, but it has to be all the girls from both teams wearing them or nobody wears them. It puts extreme risk on the girls and is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If my daughter gets put in that position and gets hurt, I will Certainly be looking into the lawsuit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any and all teams who do not wear helmets HARD OR SOFT, should refuse to play teams who are wearing helmets HARD OR SOFT. No way in [lacrosse] would I step on the field to play against them, and it's not right that a coach or AD makes that descision for my daughter. I don't have a problem with the idea of girls wearing helmets HARD OR SOFT, but it has to be all the girls from both teams wearing them or nobody wears them. It puts extreme risk on the girls and is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If my daughter gets put in that position and gets hurt, I will Certainly be looking into the lawsuit.

"looking into a lawsuit" its people like you that are forcing helmets what a tool

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"looking into a lawsuit" its people like you that are forcing helmets what a tool

A lawsuit? For what? Clearly your daughter has no business playing a team sport, ya wuss!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You would be the tool to let your daughter play against the team that showed up all wearing helmets.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You would be the tool to let your daughter play against the team that showed up all wearing helmets.

My daughter will school your helmet wearing wuss, no worries here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just what the girls game needs..more stoppages of play...not like we don't have to be tormented by the endless whistles already..makes watching girls/womens lax torture..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah, so?? How does playing a team in helmets make it more dangerous for girls who are not wearing them? The rules are still the same.

Like Reply Quote
Page 11 of 214 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 213 214
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard