BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: True Blue Boys 2013 Team Tryouts - September 22nd/23rd, 2012
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anyone get calls for the 2019 teams, still havent heard and hoping

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am guessing you are not familar with the other organizations. Almost all the major programs are taking 23 kids, they all run 3 lines of middies. Let me know all the teams that are only taking 18, would love to know.

Love them or hate them but most all 91 Orange teams do this to get the best players on the field and right lines shifts to control the game. Agree 100% with the above post. 9 to 10 middies in a running time formate usually results in 1/2 the lines not playing much. Coaching in running time games to very difficult to get all playing time. The only benefit of 9-10 middies is on those hot days but thats what allot of water is for.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am guessing you are not familar with the other organizations. Almost all the major programs are taking 23 kids, they all run 3 lines of middies. Let me know all the teams that are only taking 18, would love to know.

Most teams will have 20-23 players. Your forgetting that these kids are usually playing 3 - 5 games a day in the summer heat. The kids would never make it through the day only taking 18.

Typical team (IMHO)

2 goalies
5-6 attack
5-6 defense
7-9 middies

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's travel lacrosse little Jimmy isn't guaranteed his normal shift like PAL lacrosse

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's travel lacrosse little Jimmy isn't guaranteed his normal shift like PAL lacrosse

Actually if we are requires to go through all these tryouts and they take "the best" I would think then equal playtime should be easier to manage than PAL. We all love when we have to play little jonny who can't catch bit really is he getting the same playing time even in PAL.

For the talent they say they retain and for the price, it's all the more reason the kids should have more equality in playing time.

Good point on the number if games in a given day but that is another issue with club lacrosse. Is it really travel? It's 5 tournements over 5 weekends playing the same teams for the most part and a single location. It's money making in the tourney side making kids play shortened games that more endurance than skill sometimes and it forces clubs to take more kids than coaches really want. Name me a team coach that wants to manage 9 middies and 24 kids in a 45 min running time game.

So more games in on day equals more money a tournement can charge which justifies clubs to carry more players then they really need which makes more margin to use to show a lower cost. However the product your purchasing as a parent is diminished because playing time is naturally reduced.

I think this is the argument and there is no good answer because there are no other alternatives. What we need is actual travel league play where these clubs play in actual games from June to July 2 or 3 times a week. That is true travel. Tournements were always the icing or fun part of playing - it has turned into the main event....

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of the 2020 team must have been notified and accepted the spots on the team. My kid has a practice set up for this weekend already.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes this is not PAL which I'm sure your son doesn't excel In that either but as in most big tourney formats actual playing time is reduced to 35 minutes ( Tri State , Lehigh , etc ) and there is no horn substitutions. Therefore the coaching staff needs to be adept at subbing on the fly and couple that with a long pole midfielder plus man up or man down situations. Also if Mr. Big Shot is so familiar at 2012 Tri State because of excessive heat the actual playing time was about 25 minutes per game because of the mandatory water breaks. So because this is not PAL and you must travel and pay $$$$$ to play the boys should know what amount of playing time will be afforded them and that relies on the roster size when certain variables are factored in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Most teams will have 20-23 players. Your forgetting that these kids are usually playing 3 - 5 games a day in the summer heat. The kids would never make it through the day only taking 18.

Typical team (IMHO)

I haven't seen a 5 game afternoon ever , unless it's a 25 minute running clock. So on that note you are speaking of 125 minutes of playing time or about 2 hours spread out over the course of a 10 hour day . Again I say 24 kids , 3 hours of travel and the cost of a mini vacation ................... Not priceless........Useless.

2 goalies
5-6 attack
5-6 defense
7-9 middies

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious... do they basically keep former teams together that have played for many years? Of course I'm talking about the older boys. My son has always been a starter and excellent player, but was not called. Freinds, ect. were surprised.

Also, are the teams now complete? Is there a chance that a spot may open if someone declines? Would love some feedback.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious... do they basically keep former teams together that have played for many years? Of course I'm talking about the older boys. My son has always been a starter and excellent player, but was not called. Freinds, ect. were surprised.

Also, are the teams now complete? Is there a chance that a spot may open if someone declines? Would love some feedback.

Since this is really only their 2nd year there are a lot of new teams. All of the teams that were in existence last year faced kids being added, cut or moved. I am sure there is opportunity if spots open.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard that there may be some spots still available. Sometimes kids are missed at these tryouts, it happens at all the big programs..I know a parent over there and he loved the program. I would reach out and see if some kids declined and possible spots may be open. A program to look at def.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What age group? If he was trying out for a group that played last year, it was an uphill battle.

I'm sure the tryout was completely open, but the reality is any new player has to be noticeably better than one of the existing players to knock someone off the team. If he is basically at the same level as an existing player, they will probably keep the existing player.

The math always works against the new kids. If they had 20+ kids returning from last year, and 60 additional kids trying out, how many of the 60 had a realistic chance of making the team? Maybe there were 2 open spots, and 2 existing players they wanted to replace, and 1 that simply got outplayed. That's just a guess. (And saying there were 5 open spots going into the tryout is probably an over estimate.) But if that's close to reality, that means 60 new kids went out for 5 places. And if those 5 spots were at positions your son doesn't play, it might have been impossible to break in.

Nothing against TB or any of the other clubs. If my son were on TB last year, and we paid the fees, and the coaches new and liked him, and there was nobody obviously better than him at his position, then it would have been tough (and probably unfair) for them to tell us to go somewhere else this year.

We're in the same position. But that's how I explained it to my son, and I think he felt better about it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great advice guys and thank you. I appreciate the unbiased logic. Best of all, it makes total sense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard that there may be some spots still available. Sometimes kids are missed at these tryouts, it happens at all the big programs..I know a parent over there and he loved the program. I would reach out and see if some kids declined and possible spots may be open. A program to look at def.

For which team ar e you asking is there room. Blue or White?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there 2 teams? What age groups?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this a Massapequa based program ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, its not Massapequa based. a couple of their grade levels have Massapequa guys coaching them this year.
The guys who own it are from Merrick and Locust Valley.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there 2 teams? What age groups?

It looks like they have two teams each for 8th and 9th grade. One team each for 3rd thru 7th grades. I was at both days of their tryouts, as my older boy went the first day and younger one the second. They had more than enough kids to make two or three teams if they wanted to from 5th thru 7th.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tryouts were a sham. Better kids were passed over in favor of kids with a connection. Parent coaches only add to the favoritism.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
tryouts were a sham. Better kids were passed over in favor of kids with a connection. Parent coaches only add to the favoritism.
Since you would not want your son to play for a "sham" organization, it is actually great news that your son was one of the better players that were not considered. This is to your advantage since you can now head to another, "better" program.

Wait, was that your point?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On paper sounded like an excellent mission statement. Unfortunately the end result was the coaches and evaluators took the kids they were familiar with. This was a new grade for TB so there were no kids to bump off spots. Kid played his heart out but never got the call because we didnt know the staff. Clearly one of the better kids at the position but too political.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Which Grade are you speaking of?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great day of Football Sunday which followed up a good morning of tryout lacrosse.

I was at the 2019 try out. Great organization with the time and space given. I could not believe the amount of boys. About 100 give or take. Shows within this age group there are still some really goods players out there. Only critique you couldnt read numbers from the fence, but with 2 or 3 evaluators at each station and 3 to 5 during the scrimmages, it was well run.

There were 2 tall defenders that stood out during the drils portion of the tryout. Seemed like they called them over a few times to ask there number names. Their size made you keep your eyes on them. There were 3 others that seemed to grab your attention during the scrimmage portion. One had Express helmet another orange undershirt. They were not on the fence side.

There were 2 attacks that stood out. They played together in the scrimmages on the fence side. Again couldnt read the #'s on their backs from 10 feet away. One tall/thin one short/thick. Seemed like evaluators knew the tall boy think he had a TB helmet very good player, shorter player was also fun to watch he had a yellow shirt on and a helmet with a maroon & orange # on the side. Whenever i turned to watch these 2 boys they always seemed to have the ball. Saw the evaluators move them to middie towards the end and were just as good. I only noticed one lefty but I was not sure if he was a middie or attack.

Two very good middies with 91 helmets stood out. A white one and a blue one. Both seemed like solid physical players. Couldnt help but see what they would do next. There were also two other good middies that played against each other one had highlighter shorts Express helmet. Those shorts kept me looking, he played very well during stations and called to my attention the other middie who played against him. The highlighter shorts kept me looking. During scrimmages they were fun to watch. 4 others that rounded out a good mix of middies.

2 solid goalies and with some training seem to be on the rise. jesters helmet, and I think TB helmet.

Maybe I noticed some of these players because of their clothes helmet. Highlighter, yellow, orange, 91, express, Houston oilers logo, or that one with the # on the side.
So I guess it works to wear a bright color or program helmet to get your kid noticed. But those boys were good and with 100 something kids something has got to set you apart.

Plenty of others you couldnt seperate from the pack. Should be a good season. But I am not an evaluator so it is only worth the time you wasted reading this.

PS I dont think the pinny thing came into play, but you will only see that when the selection is made.

Enjoy MNF

So where did these boys wind up? Inquiring minds want to know. Will TB 2019 challenge 91 Express Dune Dawgs fl$?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On paper sounded like an excellent mission statement. Unfortunately the end result was the coaches and evaluators took the kids they were familiar with. This was a new grade for TB so there were no kids to bump off spots. Kid played his heart out but never got the call because we didnt know the staff. Clearly one of the better kids at the position but too political.

So why didn't one of the better kids make the Express, 91 or any of the other better travel teams ? HMMM I guess you don't know anybody on the staff in those programs as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are saying that a brand new staff was "famliar" with all of the around 23 players that were selected for a brand new team, correct? That staff must have a lot of free time to do all that research to get familiar with that many kids from various towns that were picked for whatever grade it is. This is not the Express, where lax is a full time job for the "staff".
They did all that research to put together a good team and passed on "clearly one of the better kids", due to politics? That's logical.
If that rationalization makes you feel better, than run with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We don't know anyone at TB but somehow they found my son. I think you had your "Dad" colored sunglasses on at the tryouts. I'm sure all the kids did their best trying to make the teams.
If he did as well as you think, they would of found a spot for him.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are correct. Playing out East does not give us the prestige or exposure needed to have many lacrosse contacts. We dont play in Massapequa. Are you trying to tell me the parents glad handing the coaches and directors on the sidelines dont influence their decisions. it is sickening how political the whole travel game has become.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For 2018 I don't know how they made decisions. There were a couple of standouts at each position (easy decisions there), but after that there is a lot of luck and randomness in the process. It it the same for every tryout, in every sport.

Examples of randomness:
-- an evaluator might be looking somewhere else when your son does something great, or speaking with another evaluator and not paying attention
-- that same evaluator might see your son make a mistake (all the boys make errors, but he didn't see or recall the good things)
-- your son is a standout for an evaluator that grades harder than the other guys at other stations (so, your son's 7 at station A looks low (even if is the highest at that station), compared to the 9s at station B, where your son might have made a mistake)
-- the evaluator that liked your son just isn't as vocal during the selections
-- a vocal evaluator has 4 kids he's pushing for, but gives up after he gets his first 3 (and your son is number 4 on his list ... even though he might be the next best player)
-- and yes, all other things being equal, the evaluator will remember the kid with yellow cleats, or a florescent green undershirt, or an "orange" team helmet (it's human nature), if that boy is performing at the same level as your son.

Any combination of the foregoing would mean your son isn't going to get the call. It is a flawed system, that isn't perfectly fair, but in the absence of something better it isn't necessary unfair.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are correct. Playing out East does not give us the prestige or exposure needed to have many lacrosse contacts. We dont play in Massapequa. Are you trying to tell me the parents glad handing the coaches and directors on the sidelines dont influence their decisions. it is sickening how political the whole travel game has become.

Please stop, although my son is not playing TB, the staff has been nothing but overly accomidating to my son. He/we do not come from a well named town program but the staff had made themselves available to me during the process answering all my questions and being overly understanding to my situations (which is not unique to many of us).

Hopefully they will remember my son next year and not hold it against us (that we did not play for them) but say that boy can play and that family is a class act.

That is all you can ask for (hopefully you dont call that being political).

Chris Roberts is a class act in my book!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So why didn't one of the better kids make the Express, 91 or any of the other better travel teams ? HMMM I guess you don't know anybody on the staff in those programs as well.

I, too, always tell my children, " Remember, children", I tell them, "...always blame the other guy"> This has brought us many great things.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard