BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,649
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 58 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once you get past the top 5 D1 schools, does it really matter? I agree with your point. My guy has been playing since 4th grade and is not a Junior. We did the big travel organizations for the first few years, and we got tired of throwing away all the money. He is on the "radar" for some D1 schools and has 2 offers from D3 and I think will go D3 in the end. A great education, the chance to compete and play and a college experience. That is the way to go!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with your D2/D3 argument especially for my 2nd going through. First kid we probably paid over $50,000 for summer travel. Then he went to a $54,000 school with a roster of 35 and got $8,100 per year so we still paid $45,900. He played lax 24/7 or about 5 hours a day and didn't get too much playing time. We were lucky at least he was able to take the major he wanted.

My next still plays but we are stressing the academics and hope he goes D3 or plays college club. We hope our 2nd has a more balanced college experience socially, academically and lax wise. I hope this helps someone who is new to the process

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree with your D2/D3 argument especially for my 2nd going through. First kid we probably paid over $50,000 for summer travel. Then he went to a $54,000 school with a roster of 35 and got $8,100 per year so we still paid $45,900. He played lax 24/7 or about 5 hours a day and didn't get too much playing time. We were lucky at least he was able to take the major he wanted.

My next still plays but we are stressing the academics and hope he goes D3 or plays college club. We hope our 2nd has a more balanced college experience socially, academically and lax wise. I hope this helps someone who is new to the process

Yeah. Unless you're lucky enough to get into an Ivy (these schools have amazing need-based aid and fairly strict rules about off-season practice and allowed hours per week), D3 can be a fantastic option, especially the NESCAC schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is not directed at the author of this post but just being said in general to the string of posts re money and travel costs and scholarships in general. Is it possible, and call me crazy here, that you as the parent throw money at the game because your kids love it. They love the camaraderie of playing with friends, they love the competition, the love to be the best they can be at something (and even if that includes just being an average player on a high school team or travel program), they love the overnights with friends at hotels and the life long friends they will make. I could go on. Everyone makes this about Division 1 scholarships or beign recruited or going "pro". I will tell you, I competed in Division 1 in another sport (with a little bit of scholarship money but definitely no where near what my parents spent on my years of athletic participation), and at my wedding 3/4 of my friends were from my high school and college team. I didn't go pro or make money in my sport but some of the my best memories from high school and college were with my teammates. To this day we share stories and get together for drinks and BS about about the good, the bad and the at times UGLY times we had as athletes. Again, call me crazy but everyone on this list always comes back to the 8-10k one will make professionally or the 20% scholarship. That talk is just silly, for me the money is well spent and the day my son wants to quit because he doesn't love it (as long as it is not mid-season bc I wont let him quit on his friends, coaches or teammates) then he quits. Cei la vie. One final note, if my son plays up until his senior year and it doesn't get him one nickel in scholarship money but helps him get into a college he may have not been able to get into -- again worth all the money! And if he then stops playing, joins a frat or the drama club, all will be good. I will just hope that he has the memories of playing travel sports because they can be GREAT!

Sorry for the long post but I just the priorities on this forum are out of wack sometimes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is not directed at the author of this post but just being said in general to the string of posts re money and travel costs and scholarships in general. Is it possible, and call me crazy here, that you as the parent throw money at the game because your kids love it. They love the camaraderie of playing with friends, they love the competition, the love to be the best they can be at something (and even if that includes just being an average player on a high school team or travel program), they love the overnights with friends at hotels and the life long friends they will make. I could go on. Everyone makes this about Division 1 scholarships or beign recruited or going "pro". I will tell you, I competed in Division 1 in another sport (with a little bit of scholarship money but definitely no where near what my parents spent on my years of athletic participation), and at my wedding 3/4 of my friends were from my high school and college team. I didn't go pro or make money in my sport but some of the my best memories from high school and college were with my teammates. To this day we share stories and get together for drinks and BS about about the good, the bad and the at times UGLY times we had as athletes. Again, call me crazy but everyone on this list always comes back to the 8-10k one will make professionally or the 20% scholarship. That talk is just silly, for me the money is well spent and the day my son wants to quit because he doesn't love it (as long as it is not mid-season bc I wont let him quit on his friends, coaches or teammates) then he quits. Cei la vie. One final note, if my son plays up until his senior year and it doesn't get him one nickel in scholarship money but helps him get into a college he may have not been able to get into -- again worth all the money! And if he then stops playing, joins a frat or the drama club, all will be good. I will just hope that he has the memories of playing travel sports because they can be GREAT!

Sorry for the long post but I just the priorities on this forum are out of wack sometimes.

Couldn't agree more but today is different from when we played in college. Its a fulltime job therefore I am a proponent of D3 or club for my 2nd. Still playing, still the go to player, on the field as a freshman, still with the team but they actually still have a life. To each there own I guess but we lived modern day D1 lax and if you aren't a top stud, I would argue against it.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's a great post friend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Perfectly said! It is about everything you had mentioned! Way to keep it in perspective.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Impressive post. Well thought out. Kudos! And agree with everything and wish the rest of the site had the same intellectual ability.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes HC has only 2 scholarships. Admissions Not particularly difficult...
So, where is the value prop for your student athlete??

...better off playing Tuffs, Gettysburg, Swarthmore, for same money, better reputation, or a Furman, Highpoint, Richmond, for D1 money and warmer climate ...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does it vary school by school of what the school offer up financially? Everyone says stay away from D3 because there is no $$, but ultimately, it seems like it is just the difference between the support being called a scholarship in D1 vs. being called a grant. My son got offered a spot with a top 20 D3 which to me is pretty impressive in that there are over 150 D3 schools. In talking to admission, the grant money offered to athletes on the team was in he range of $18-20K. That is a good chunk of change on top of financial aid and merit money, coupled with the chance to compete and play, enjoy college, get an education and perhaps with a championship.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HC?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top D3 schools could play the middle D1 teams tough especially on the girls side. If your kid isn't Michael Jordan, don't believe the D1 hype. D2 and D3 gets you on the field quiker with a better school life lax balance

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does it vary school by school of what the school offer up financially? Everyone says stay away from D3 because there is no $$, but ultimately, it seems like it is just the difference between the support being called a scholarship in D1 vs. being called a grant. My son got offered a spot with a top 20 D3 which to me is pretty impressive in that there are over 150 D3 schools. In talking to admission, the grant money offered to athletes on the team was in he range of $18-20K. That is a good chunk of change on top of financial aid and merit money, coupled with the chance to compete and play, enjoy college, get an education and perhaps with a championship.

Other than SUNY, it's a great way to go!! I plan on doing that for my son, and maybe my wife will let me get my mid life crisis dream car with the money savings!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Top D3 schools could play the middle D1 teams tough especially on the girls side. If your kid isn't Michael Jordan, don't believe the D1 hype. D2 and D3 gets you on the field quiker with a better school life lax balance

The best D3 schools could certainly run with middle / lower tier D1 schools, no doubt. But once you get past the top ~10 the dropoff is pretty significant, especially in terms of team depth (e.g. only having one real midfield line, etc.).

Many even mid-range D3 schools would lose to strong high school teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are really out of your mind. where do you get that about 1 middie ,line? many mid range would lose to strong high school teams? really? where do you get that concept? you really are a windbag.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no school can offer grant money for a particular sport in D3 same eligibility as anyone else at the school. coaches have no input as to money allocated to students or potential students.
but you knew that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In a sense, it has already arrived. The Hill Academy in Canada is an example.

Here is an informative article about The Hill Academy from si.com:
http://www.si.com/edge/2016/05/04/the-hill-academy-lacrosse-canada-high-school-brodie-merrill

The school isn't just for Canadians as there are at least a half dozen Americans attending. The cost is also half of what IMG charges.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you are really out of your mind. where do you get that about 1 middie ,line? many mid range would lose to strong high school teams? really? where do you get that concept? you really are a windbag.

I guess you never played lacrosse in college? Did you even play in high school?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Those rosters of 50 kids play very few on game day. 5 hours a day, coach controls your major and you ride the pine. That's a reality for lots of kids in college. That's why there is so much talent in D2 and D3.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Other than SUNY, it's a great way to go!! I plan on doing that for my son, and maybe my wife will let me get my mid life crisis dream car with the money savings!

SUNY schools can be the absolute best value net net. I wish my oldest would have attended Albany or Binghamton over a mid Atlantic school costing $60k+. The scholarship was only a dent in the overall cost. Hindsight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

SUNY schools can be the absolute best value net net. I wish my oldest would have attended Albany or Binghamton over a mid Atlantic school costing $60k+. The scholarship was only a dent in the overall cost. Hindsight.

Kids have to get accepted first - SUNYs aren't the gimmies they used to be. And it will only get tougher if NY goes through with the free tuition plan for lower income families.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Receiving $5,000 athletic to go to a mid level D1 school that costs $46,000. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!! The kids should be lining up to play for the Coast Guard Academy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know if Maritime or Kings Point have good programs?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They're both mid-level D3 lacrosse programs, but fantastic schools for anyone interested in the maritime field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another idiot. If you go to a service academy like kings point you are going for something much more noble than lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mid level D3 still have solid 2 mid lines and 3rd that can play utility. A top 10 or 15 high school could compete or beat mid level and down, which really isn't a criticism.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It also depends on your major... If your son wants to become a teacher, SUNY best value, but if business major, still worth going Ivy, given the opportunity... (And having a big financial firm pay for your MBA)...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. Kid might not want the 5 year commitment post grad, but debt free, and job waiting!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another idiot. If you go to a service academy like kings point you are going for something much more noble than lax.

It was a simple question dumb [lacrosse]. My older brother went to Maritime for a different sport

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mid level D3 still have solid 2 mid lines and 3rd that can play utility. A top 10 or 15 high school could compete or beat mid level and down, which really isn't a criticism.

You obviously NEVER played lacrosse in college if you believe that. Based on that statement all the BOTC hold back haters are now proven to be blow hards, because a bunch of HS kids can beat college players!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A top 10 nationally ranked high school team could beat lower ranked D3 schools. I'm not even sure what your objection to this notion would be, as there is a wide disparity between top D3 teams and lower.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You obviously NEVER played lacrosse in college if you believe that. Based on that statement all the BOTC hold back haters are now proven to be blow hards, because a bunch of HS kids can beat college players!

Your argument is not logical. The 200th ranked D3 school isn't beating the MIAA champs any given year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your argument is not logical. The 200th ranked D3 school isn't beating the MIAA champs any given year.

Thanks Dr. Spock, explain how it's not logical, what empirical evidence do you have to disprove my theory? have you conducted a study? Have you seen them scrimmage? What facts have you mu pointy eared friend, to state my argument has no logic? Logic would indicate that a group of MEN could beat a group of BOYS every day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah of course.. and Aqua Man can beat up Spider Man. easily.. wth are you in 3rd grade. who cares anyway??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah of course.. and Aqua Man can beat up Spider Man. easily.. wth are you in 3rd grade. who cares anyway??

Um, the poster who said HS teams could beat D3 teams cares I think?!?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yea but.......superman can beat up aquaman. But aren't they all on the same team........I think its called the TRUMP team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Dr. Spock, explain how it's not logical, what empirical evidence do you have to disprove my theory? have you conducted a study? Have you seen them scrimmage? What facts have you mu pointy eared friend, to state my argument has no logic? Logic would indicate that a group of MEN could beat a group of BOYS every day.

We would all be speaking German right now, my friend, if your argument held any water.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Go to the beach and let me know how your men are doing against the boys in the open division.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They could, and would. In many cases the games wouldn't even be close. Have you ever watched a D3 game? Do you live in a lacrosse hotbed, one with "powerhouse" schools?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They probably beat the MIAA champ, just not the Long Island Champs.

Like Reply Quote
Page 31 of 58 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard