BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,633
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 51 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 50 51
Re: Boys 2020- 9th Grade Fall 2016/Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
They should grandfather in the 2020 class and start the new rule for the 2021 class since they are not in High School yet. Travel teams will suffer because it will not be as necessary to start playing travel at such a early age. The kids will be kids again and travel teams will lose money.

They should implement immediately, cancel all verbal commitments and let kids play high school. The kids who earned a commitment before will earn again and those who were left out because of a crappy system will have a chance to grow, learn and be noticed.

Says the Dads whose kid has no looks. You probably wanted a recount for the election too.

Scared your holdback will not keep his commitment as kids play high school. Seems the idea of immediate implementation worked to get the weakest parents to comment. So easy to bait.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]They should grandfather in the 2020 class and start the new rule for the 2021 class since they are not in High School yet. Travel teams will suffer because it will not be as necessary to start playing travel at such a early age. The kids will be kids again and travel teams will lose money.

They should implement immediately, cancel all verbal commitments and let kids play high school. The kids who earned a commitment before will earn again and those who were left out because of a crappy system will have a chance to grow, learn and be noticed.

Says the Dads whose kid has no looks. You probably wanted a recount for the election too.

Is it really a wonder with responses like this that the majority of those committed get no respect from their peers and their parents are considered as a group the worst sports parents ever? A bit of humility goes a long way and most would agree that committing at the age of 14 or 15 (or even 16 given the large number of committed holdbacks) is not good for the sport and if really challenged not good for the child. Try to stop being a jerk dad - it is your son and not you who is playing the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They should grandfather in the 2020 class and start the new rule for the 2021 class since they are not in High School yet. Travel teams will suffer because it will not be as necessary to start playing travel at such a early age. The kids will be kids again and travel teams will lose money.

Scared your holdback will not keep his commitment as kids play high school. Seems the idea of immediate implementation worked to get the weakest parents to comment. So easy to bait.

Nope, there is a reason kids get committed. It's because they stand out. Sorry yours didn't. Making silly recommendations will not help your son. Get back to practice!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please stop thinking your kid is close to commitment , you just want to write that so you think it is true ..... JOKE

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope, there is a reason kids get committed. It's because they stand out. Sorry yours didn't. Making silly recommendations will not help your son. Get back to practice!
Because they stand out in 8th and 9th grade? Boy, reality is going to strike some parents (not all) hard in the face in 3-4 years.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So, as suggested, your kid will not stand out if the rule is implemented immediately and he has to actually play a high school game. Let me guess, you never played lacrosse. You love it because your kid has always been good. He has always been good, because he has always been bigger. Easy to look good against kids not as developed. Now a rule could allow kids to develop academically and physically, but you oppose because you want the only advantage your kid had. The bull dodge and overrunning kids down the alley won't work when kids are developed. Weak!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my experience, by 4th-5th grade you can tell which kids are most athletic regardless of the sport they are playing. We all know who those kids are. They are faster and more coordinated, they can catch and throw and kick better and the biggest differentiator is their competitive fire! They are alsways around the ball.. My point is that those same kids who stand out in 7th/8th grade (holdback or not) usually do not fall back in the middle of the pack by their junior yr. So many of you say "just wait until the other boys hit their growth spirt"... On a very rare occasion have I seen a late bloomer come out of nowhere and become the "star athlete".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think there needs clarification on what a "late bloomer" is. It is NOT a kid who was not a strong athlete all along and then turns into one his Jr year out of nowhere. A late bloomer is a kid that hits puberty late. So how it applies here is a kid that has been a star athlete from little up through middle school. Then say in 8th grade other kids have hit puberty and are now 5'8, 135 lbs. But this kid who has been a star is still 5'2 , 100 lbs. now it becomes challenging for this kid with the size difference until his puberty growth hits. This kid's growth spurt then kicks in around 10th grade and he is 5'11, 170 lbs as a Jr. He reemerges as a star player once the puberty growth stages even out. That is a late bloomer example.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my experience, by 4th-5th grade you can tell which kids are most athletic regardless of the sport they are playing. We all know who those kids are. They are faster and more coordinated, they can catch and throw and kick better and the biggest differentiator is their competitive fire! They are alsways around the ball.. My point is that those same kids who stand out in 7th/8th grade (holdback or not) usually do not fall back in the middle of the pack by their junior yr. So many of you say "just wait until the other boys hit their growth spirt"... On a very rare occasion have I seen a late bloomer come out of nowhere and become the "star athlete".

Wow, you are a colossal idiot. You sound like my son's PAL coaches. One nut job told me my son didn't have the right muscle fibers at 11 years old. (his son never played in HS or college) Like you, they couldn't have been more wrong. I have one in college playing and another committed to a top 20 D1 program. Neither were the best, fastest, most athletic in 4th or 5th grade. In fact, one was heavy, and one ran on his heels. Fast forward a few years. One committed as a jr, the other a soph. Lacrosse is unique sport, where dynamic hard working Lacrosse players, surpass superior athletes all the time. It's a rare sport where you can be big, fast, small, tall, short, thick, skinny and still compete at the highest levels. Is being a freak athlete a benefit? Sure. A prerequisite? No. BTW the kid who ran on his heels, became the fastest kid on his HS team. The heavy one, breaks poles ankles anywhere on the field. Don't think my two where outliers, just hard workers at a sport they loved.
Do everyone a favor and take your insane border line creepy assessment of 4th and 5th grade babies somewhere else. Who watches kids that closely? Creeper!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let me guess.. you are 60lbs over weight (your wife even fatter) and never played or coached and are living vicariously through your kids. I knew it.. You sir are the loser. . I Have 4 kids and have coached 3 different sports (lacrosse not one them) at the the youth rec level.. just to help out and give back. Most of the kids who excel at an early age continue on that same path. Yes on the rare occasion a kid puts down the soda and doritos that bad parents like you gave them their whole life and and they shed the weight and start to come into their own. No go back to bragging about your "ankle braking kids" to someone who gives a rats arse other then their grandmother..

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And to the other guy who isn't the BOTC court Jester Dad with the former chubby now ankle breaking kids who fought off bad parenting that's a good "late bloomer example"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Superstar elementary school athlete! Have fun with that!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, you are a colossal idiot. You sound like my son's PAL coaches. One nut job told me my son didn't have the right muscle fibers at 11 years old. (his son never played in HS or college) Like you, they couldn't have been more wrong. I have one in college playing and another committed to a top 20 D1 program. Neither were the best, fastest, most athletic in 4th or 5th grade. In fact, one was heavy, and one ran on his heels. Fast forward a few years. One committed as a jr, the other a soph. Lacrosse is unique sport, where dynamic hard working Lacrosse players, surpass superior athletes all the time. It's a rare sport where you can be big, fast, small, tall, short, thick, skinny and still compete at the highest levels. Is being a freak athlete a benefit? Sure. A prerequisite? No. BTW the kid who ran on his heels, became the fastest kid on his HS team. The heavy one, breaks poles ankles anywhere on the field. Don't think my two where outliers, just hard workers at a sport they loved.
Do everyone a favor and take your insane border line creepy assessment of 4th and 5th grade babies somewhere else. Who watches kids that closely? Creeper!!!!

If your kids a sophomore, why are you trolling the 2020 page? I call BS on all of your claims. Just does not work that way! Guy is correct. It is the rare kid who "comes out of nowhere". Why is it creepy watching 5th graders? I did when my sons they were in 5th, then 6th, then 7th......pretty much everything stayed the same. Maybe you were in your car drinking beers while we were all watching the boys play and develop? You sound very angry tool bag, and need to chill a bit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's almost comical that people think the proposed legislation is going to solve all the lax recruiting problems.
The NCAA has been down this road before and their hesitation to further regulate is based on lessons learned with the likes of AAU basketball. The unintended conciquenses are the club coaches and individuals with lines of communication Into the college coaches get more powerful and corrupt. Early RecruitIng won't end, it will just take a different look and feel. Since the kids and parents won't be able to contact the coaches they will rely on conduits to plead their casses to be recruited. The club directors everyone hate will only become more important as the process is conducted through intermediaries. Watch out what you wish for.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You all sound like a pack of fools. Arguing about whose kid is the best. Let the kids play, if they decide they want to play in college, good for them. If the commit early and it works out, great. If they don't commit and they walk in and end up being a star, great. If they decide not to play, great. You all need to get a grip. Thw best player in the NCAA this past year was a kid that was not recruited. If you aren't recruited in 8th grade it doesn't mean your lacrosse life is over, even though some people want you to believe it is. Lacrosse is a super rich, white kid sport and in reality, the only people that care about it are the people on this forum. Let your kids have fun, enjoy the game and grow as young men.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kids a sophomore, why are you trolling the 2020 page? I call BS on all of your claims. Just does not work that way! Guy is correct. It is the rare kid who "comes out of nowhere". Why is it creepy watching 5th graders? I did when my sons they were in 5th, then 6th, then 7th......pretty much everything stayed the same. Maybe you were in your car drinking beers while we were all watching the boys play and develop? You sound very angry tool bag, and need to chill a bit.

Oh I can't read other threads now? Call BS all you want,100% TRUE! Doesn't that just burn you? Sorry my kids stories don't fit your dopey narrative, that a kids athletic destiny is set in 4th grade. Take your kid to a clinic or the gym, maybe he'll have half the success mine have had. You're completely and patently clueless on how this and other sports work. Did you watch the Giant game dummy? Rodgers and Matthews had a combined zero D1 offers out of HS!!! Rodgers played at Jr College and then transferred to Cal, and Matthews walked on at USC. I guess nothing changed in their Athletic development either? They just happen to be on the same team and superstars on opposite sides of the ball. I guess it does work that way!!! And yes, you're still creepy.
P.S. No anger here, just can't believe how stupid people like you are. Nothing changes after 4th or 5th grade? How do you even write something like that? Good luck to your poor kid...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh I can't read other threads now? Call BS all you want,100% TRUE! Doesn't that just burn you? Sorry my kids stories don't fit your dopey narrative, that a kids athletic destiny is set in 4th grade. Take your kid to a clinic or the gym, maybe he'll have half the success mine have had. You're completely and patently clueless on how this and other sports work. Did you watch the Giant game dummy? Rodgers and Matthews had a combined zero D1 offers out of HS!!! Rodgers played at Jr College and then transferred to Cal, and Matthews walked on at USC. I guess nothing changed in their Athletic development either? They just happen to be on the same team and superstars on opposite sides of the ball. I guess it does work that way!!! And yes, you're still creepy.
P.S. No anger here, just can't believe how stupid people like you are. Nothing changes after 4th or 5th grade? How do you even write something like that? Good luck to your poor kid...

I do think 4 or 5th is a little early to dismiss many kids as future good players. I do think that as each year goes by there are less and less players that come out of woodwork. 7-9th grades seem like the most changes take place. But you better be in sport to take advantage of new skills and athleticism.
My experience is that the late blooming really good athletic kid chooses another sport besides Lacrosse. Like Football or basketball.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I couldn't agree more. The guy who said you can tell in 4/5 the grade is some loser who's son was an early developer and knows nothing about sports. Can't wait till the late developers catch up and pass his son by. What a donkey!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I couldn't agree more. The guy who said you can tell in 4/5 the grade is some loser who's son was an early developer and knows nothing about sports. Can't wait till the late developers catch up and pass his son by. What a donkey!

Happens all the time. Friends son in Philly had nearly zero looks summer between 10-11th grade. Made Philly UA team, by scoring 3 goals in final game of tryouts. Within two weeks he had offers from 6 D1 schools including ACC's....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Won't go through. Besides, several 2021s are already very close to commitment.
Don't know much about 2021's but last March the lefty attack from ninedy one was first to commit. But haven't ever heard of a 2021 who is even close to his ability that would garner early recruit talk? What clubs do these 21's play for that they are close to committing?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clay Matthews came from a family with ties to the NFL. His dad/uncle/grandfather all played in the NFL. He didn't just walk on at USC, all major colleges have a walk on process, if you are not a "select" walk on, you're not getting a shot. Clay Matthews was asked by the coaching staff to walk on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
6' 1 180lb from Laxchussets was 2020 last year

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clay Matthews came from a family with ties to the NFL. His dad/uncle/grandfather all played in the NFL. He didn't just walk on at USC, all major colleges have a walk on process, if you are not a "select" walk on, you're not getting a shot. Clay Matthews was asked by the coaching staff to walk on.

How many D1 offers did he have? ZERO. Well aware of his lineage. By that measure alone the schools should have been lined up to offer him... Sorry try again.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
USC and most d1 college football schools hold open tryouts. Clay was good enough to make their team, and the rest is history. Playing football or basketball is a better option then playing lacrosse. Would you rather have to split your scholarship or have full funding. That's why only rich preppy white boys go on to play lacrosse, cause most families can't afford to have their sons play due to the sheer cost in money and amount of time that would lead up to what? A 1/4 scholarship? That's my 2 cents.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Michael Jordan did not make his varsity basketball team as a sophomore! Some elite athletes are still raw in HS! Some of the most advanced kids in 7th and 8th grade are undersized by 10th and 11th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
USC and most d1 college football schools hold open tryouts. Clay was good enough to make their team, and the rest is history. Playing football or basketball is a better option then playing lacrosse. Would you rather have to split your scholarship or have full funding. That's why only rich preppy white boys go on to play lacrosse, cause most families can't afford to have their sons play due to the sheer cost in money and amount of time that would lead up to what? A 1/4 scholarship? That's my 2 cents.

Who told you most D1 programs have open try outs? That is completely untrue. D1 programs do not have open try outs for the whole school. Who told you this? The days of Rudy are over.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many D1 offers did he have? ZERO. Well aware of his lineage. By that measure alone the schools should have been lined up to offer him... Sorry try again.

Matthews was a preferred walk on, not some kid who came in from nowhere. He wanted USC, they didn't offer, the coaches told him to walk on, full well knowing he neither needed nor merited a full ride at that time. But would probably earn one later. He wasn't exactly a risk.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Out of all the boys who play in HS, there is a 2.8% chance of them going D1. Long Island is clearly grabbing a large amount of these spots, with some HS teams boasting an average of 5-10 per grade. If you really want to play a D1 sport, fencing is the way to go, where close to 30% go D1. As for the recruiting process, who cares when the kid commits. Congratulations is in order for everyone who makes it to the next level, it doesn't come easy for anyone, despite what you may think. Keep working hard, and you may be next!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's almost comical that people think the proposed legislation is going to solve all the lax recruiting problems.
The NCAA has been down this road before and their hesitation to further regulate is based on lessons learned with the likes of AAU basketball. The unintended conciquenses are the club coaches and individuals with lines of communication Into the college coaches get more powerful and corrupt. Early RecruitIng won't end, it will just take a different look and feel. Since the kids and parents won't be able to contact the coaches they will rely on conduits to plead their casses to be recruited. The club directors everyone hate will only become more important as the process is conducted through intermediaries. Watch out what you wish for.

Absolutely 100% correct. Coaches are still going to seek out the top programs/tourneys/showcases and are still going to have the ear of the club coaches (and vice versa). We will have placed ALL of the power into the hands of the club coaches. 8/1 of junior year isn't going to be some magical time where the playing fields are level and parity is achieved. Far from it. The week of 8/1 will be a very steady stream of TyX tweets in which entire rosters are announced, some of those decisions being made as early as they are now only through the club coaches and not face-to-face with the player and parents. Until you address the club phenomenon, and not sure there's much anyone can do there, you're not going to fix anything substantially. It will quiet the most vocal, but always seems the most vocal are the most vocal for a reason.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Matthews was a preferred walk on, not some kid who came in from nowhere. He wanted USC, they didn't offer, the coaches told him to walk on, full well knowing he neither needed nor merited a full ride at that time. But would probably earn one later. He wasn't exactly a risk.

No risk, and ZERO other offers either. Just accept it. Just like USC, no one else offered him because they didn't think he was that good, they were all wrong.
Did you happen to see who caught the game winning TD in the National Championship game last night? A WALK ON!!! Any idiot that thinks his kid is a D1 player because he's a standout in 4th grade is just plain Bat-[lacrosse] crazy, he's equally as crazy if he thinks the kid whose a little slower or a little less athletic has no shot. Two college players for me, and both were in no way standouts in 4th grade. Good luck to your kids. Last post on the subject for me, I just can't argue with stupid any longer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fat kid that ran on is heels. Sounds like the next Paul Rabil to me..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So this player at this size could not commit as a 2020? So is now going to commit as a 2021? Is he as good as the lefty attack from ninedy one?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So this player at this size could not commit as a 2020? So is now going to commit as a 2021? Is he as good as the lefty attack from ninedy one?

No. Thats why he was moved down. Not as skilled at all. Big/Raw (you know what that means)
Crazy with that size

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought the Crush/Blaze double holdback was going to be the first 2021?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
6'1", 180lbs.. I'm guessing the coach of the school where this player wants to attend told this player to hold back a year and if he did so, that coach would verbally commit him early in the year.

That is pure speculation but it is all I could think of.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fat kid that ran on is heels. Sounds like the next Paul Rabil to me..

Jealousy will eat you alive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hahah . I got a good laugh out of that Rabil post. And nice try Dad.. nobody is jealous of your kids who fought of bad parenting to get some some looks. And it's you who is the creeper as you don't even have a player in the 2020 class.

Signed...envious my kids not an "Ankle breaker"...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This was on the 2021 thread but also can be posted here about hold backs:

There are countless studies that support this. Not only as adults but also as kids there are self-esteem issues and many other long term issues that result. An older kid looks and acts different compared to younger kids in his grade. Also you are telling your kid he can't compete with kids his own age. The mind is very complicated. The seeds you plant indirectly by holding back are harmful. Find this study below and go on the internet and search some of these terms and you will see holding back results in many problems.

2003 "Position Statement on Student Grade Retention," the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)concluded:

* Academic achievement of kids who are retained is poorer than that of peers who are promoted.
* Achievement gains associated with retention fade within two to three years after the grade repeated.
* Retention often is associated with increased behavior problems.
* Grade retention has a negative impact on all areas of a child's achievement (reading, math, and language) and socio-emotional adjustment (peer relationships, self-esteem, problem behaviors, and attendance).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There are countless studies that support this. Not only as adults but also as kids there are self-esteem issues and many other long term issues that result. An older kid looks and acts different compared to younger kids in his grade. Also you are telling your kid he can't compete with kids his own age. The mind is very complicated. The seeds you plant indirectly by holding back are harmful. Find this study below and go on the internet and search some of these terms and you will see holding back results in many problems.

2003 "Position Statement on Student Grade Retention," the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)concluded:

* Academic achievement of kids who are retained is poorer than that of peers who are promoted.
* Achievement gains associated with retention fade within two to three years after the grade repeated.
* Grade retention has a negative impact on all areas of a child's achievement (reading, math, and language) and socio-emotional adjustment (peer relationships, self-esteem, problem behaviors, and attendance).

2003? Was this targeted at prep school lacrosse kids, being that it pre-dated modern day club lacrosse? Was this study for inner city basketball and football? Private school kids that did prefirst or repeated a middle school grade don't qualify for this study, dude!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is just one of many studies that range from kids having trouble with academics to kids held back for sports or other reasons. This study happens to be 2003 but there are many current ones. This has all the buzz words to do your own internet search to reach your own conclusion. But the overwhelming number of studies from the 90s to present show that holding a kid back for any reason results in social, academic and psychological problems from the time of holdback or shortly thereafter through being an adult. As it said in the 2021 thread before you hold back a kid or Reclass talk to a professional in school or psychology not a lacrosse coach for advice.

2003? Was this targeted at prep school lacrosse kids, being that it pre-dated modern day club lacrosse? Was this study for inner city basketball and football? Private school kids that did prefirst or repeated a middle school grade don't qualify for this study, dude!

Page 24 of 51 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard