BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Checkmate Sharks Tryouts - September 16th/23rd, 2012
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That guy's name is all over the press from the team during that time period.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He was just mentioning that they had big names on that team. We know they are not the same coaches. Apparently they are trying to bring back the club. Checkmate is new to this website and I am just trying to find out some information. So many clubs out there and politics that go with it. My son is going to play with them this year. At try outs they seemed liked they were headed in the right direction. I liked all the coaches. Hoping for the best.

W
What Happened?
Unregistered
What Happened?
Unregistered
W
Ok, I've read through the press, and there is A LOT out there. In the mid-2000s (2005-07?) there are dozens of articles about the Checkmate Sharks, and they were a dominant club team. The Waldorf School and Checkmate are mentioned all the time. It was apparently all Garden City kids, and the coaches names and players' names are mentioned over and over. Nothing wrong with self-promotion, but this is a study in PR. There's even an article written as a poem (?), and it is loooooong. Somebody was investing a lot of time and energy in developing the Checkmate and Sharks names, and promoting themselves. Nothing at all wrong with that!

The Sharks kids were not allowed to play for the Garden City middle school. Wow. How does that happen, and the group still goes on to greatness at Garden City High School? Wouldn't the school coaches look down upon that? Well, at some point in the articles (2007?) the head coach of GCHS makes an appearance as the head coach of the Sharks. Interesting. And all those players are the premier guys at GCHS and go on to great programs afterward. Interesting.

But what is even more interesting is that considering all effort, the PR, the good will, the great success of the team, and the brand name being built ... and the backing of a school (both Waldorf and apparently Garden City HS!), plus the availability of the Waldorf School and Garden City facilities, and the name of a legendary lacrosse director (Gordon Purdie has been at Waldorf for almost 20 years, well before the Sharks were formed, and was there when all this happened) ... considering all of that substantial effort, that people let the program collapse (or at least disappear for a few years). Why?

Why would someone put that kind of time in to promoting themselves and their team just "for the love of the game" and then walk? The Checkmate-fl$ connections, the GCHS connections ... there's a much more interesting back story here, one we'll probably never know!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Does anybody know if the 2019 team got there second goalie? I know they were looking for one. Thanks

They are trying out a few goalies at their practice. Nothing is locked up yet, as of now they still need a second.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by What Happened?
Ok, I've read through the press, and there is A LOT out there. In the mid-2000s (2005-07?) there are dozens of articles about the Checkmate Sharks, and they were a dominant club team. The Waldorf School and Checkmate are mentioned all the time. It was apparently all Garden City kids, and the coaches names and players' names are mentioned over and over. Nothing wrong with self-promotion, but this is a study in PR. There's even an article written as a poem (?), and it is loooooong. Somebody was investing a lot of time and energy in developing the Checkmate and Sharks names, and promoting themselves. Nothing at all wrong with that!

The Sharks kids were not allowed to play for the Garden City middle school. Wow. How does that happen, and the group still goes on to greatness at Garden City High School? Wouldn't the school coaches look down upon that? Well, at some point in the articles (2007?) the head coach of GCHS makes an appearance as the head coach of the Sharks. Interesting. And all those players are the premier guys at GCHS and go on to great programs afterward. Interesting.

But what is even more interesting is that considering all effort, the PR, the good will, the great success of the team, and the brand name being built ... and the backing of a school (both Waldorf and apparently Garden City HS!), plus the availability of the Waldorf School and Garden City facilities, and the name of a legendary lacrosse director (Gordon Purdie has been at Waldorf for almost 20 years, well before the Sharks were formed, and was there when all this happened) ... considering all of that substantial effort, that people let the program collapse (or at least disappear for a few years). Why?

Why would someone put that kind of time in to promoting themselves and their team just "for the love of the game" and then walk? The Checkmate-fl$ connections, the GCHS connections ... there's a much more interesting back story here, one we'll probably never know!

My friend from GC told me that the group of GC dads that put the team together were just looking for a banner. They took this group of kids and didn't let them play in P.A.L. or in middle school. They needed a banner to play under and called themselves the Checkmate Sharks. After that many went to play for the Jr. Lizards and eventually left there and formed fl$. That's all I've got. Sounds like the only thing that's the same is the name. Whether they're called the Checkmate Sharks, Lobsters or Minos, I'm sure it will be fine. Definitely not A teams but maybe B.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anybody know whats going on with the Sharks. I heard they didnt field teams at some of the younger grades. People have even seen some of their coaches at other travel program tryouts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess they are looking for extra kids that dont make other clubs. It is only there second year and maybe they are trying to recruit some kids to come over. So many quality kids out there that did not make other clubs will have an opportunity with the sharks. If they look good this year more people will be interested next year? Who knows? With so many clubs out there I can't believe certain clubs have all the top players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only grade they didn't field was 4th Grade.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard