BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: A Warning For Parents Who Think A Sports Scholarship Actually Covers Colleg
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just sharing our experience for everyone's benefit. My son who is a 2019 had four schools "recruiting" him this summer after two others had invited him for visits over last winter. He received an initial offer from one of the winter interested but we decided it was too early in the process and he wanted to look at more schools and see what he liked. He played well over the summer and we visited 6 schools and received 4 offers with two saying they wanted to take it slow and see how Fall went. My son decided on his top 3 schools and after doing plenty of research and speaking with people who have been through the process we went back to each coach with an update on who he was receiving offers from. His number one choice decided to increase his offer to a number that equals ~1/3 of the total cost of attending. He gladly accepted. I hope this helps someone in their process.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for the info. Congratulations! From your perspective of having gone through the process - does an offer usually come during the campus visit? Can you give us sense of what type of schools these were?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Thank you for the info. Congratulations! From your perspective of having gone through the process - does an offer usually come during the campus visit? Can you give us sense of what type of schools these were?

All D1 schools, half in top 25, other half in top 40(?) for lacrosse and top 75 in terms of academics. Some offers were proffered at the conclusion of the visit on campus, others came via the phone after the visit. A few coaches said "let us know when you receive an offer..." Which he did and then they jumped in with their offer. There were also 2-3 D3 schools that expressed interest but he wanted to explore D1 first so we didn't visit. I hope that helps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Would you rather play lacrosse at UNC and get a degree in basket weaving because you were unqualified or unable to take a monster major or go to some weaker cheaper state school and get an engineering degree if that's what you want to do?

Different answers for different families. Its not always black and white

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is going to choose MIT and be the star on their lax team. Hopefully Bill Gates will notice him.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and hopefully nail, oops I mean network, with rich Asian girls and convent yen into dollars
Smart!
My son is going to choose MIT and be the star on their lax team. Hopefully Bill Gates will notice him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and hopefully nail, oops I mean network, with rich Asian girls and convent yen into dollars
Smart!

Who needs to pay 3k per year to clubs if I can get my son on the MIT team and have more fun in college?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Middle 50% score range of admitted students (25th and 75th percentiles): Came in 2016

SAT Reasoning Test - Math [760, 800]
SAT Reasoning Test - Critical Reading [710, 800]
SAT Reasoning Test - Writing [700, 790]
ACT Math [34, 36]
ACT English [33, 35]
ACT Composite [33, 35]
SAT Subject Test - Math [780, 800]
SAT Subject Test - Science [740, 800]

There is at least 3k a year just in test prep.

Smart!

Who needs to pay 3k per year to clubs if I can get my son on the MIT team and have more fun in college?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Middle 50% score range of admitted students (25th and 75th percentiles): Came in 2016

SAT Reasoning Test - Math [760, 800]
SAT Reasoning Test - Critical Reading [710, 800]
SAT Reasoning Test - Writing [700, 790]
ACT Math [34, 36]
ACT English [33, 35]
ACT Composite [33, 35]
SAT Subject Test - Math [780, 800]
SAT Subject Test - Science [740, 800]

There is at least 3k a year just in test prep.

Smart!

So... do I need to pay 6k (3k club lax and 3k tutor)?
Does Channy offer both?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this thread has been a real wake up call for me and I feel so stupid and used by the system.

I had been so naive about summer lacrosse and raising my son, I had been lead to believe that club lacrosse was about having fun, making new friends, playing for new or different coaches and maybe at the end of the day becoming good enough at the sport to maybe improve his chances of getting into a better college than he would have without lacrosse.

I now realize (thanks to the posts on BOTC) that it is all about return on investment and the only quantifiable answer to "was it worth it?" is how big an athletic scholarship he received.

Now looking back, I wish I had not spent all that time in the car with my son, all that time meeting new people and watching my son enjoy himself playing the sport he loved when I could have been at home reading a book while he played xbox or hung out with his friends.

We are all fools to allow our kids to play travel sports and spend so much time with them when they so clearly could be doing something else with there lives.

shame on us.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good one!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this thread has been a real wake up call for me and I feel so stupid and used by the system.

I had been so naive about summer lacrosse and raising my son, I had been lead to believe that club lacrosse was about having fun, making new friends, playing for new or different coaches and maybe at the end of the day becoming good enough at the sport to maybe improve his chances of getting into a better college than he would have without lacrosse.

I now realize (thanks to the posts on BOTC) that it is all about return on investment and the only quantifiable answer to "was it worth it?" is how big an athletic scholarship he received.

Now looking back, I wish I had not spent all that time in the car with my son, all that time meeting new people and watching my son enjoy himself playing the sport he loved when I could have been at home reading a book while he played xbox or hung out with his friends.

We are all fools to allow our kids to play travel sports and spend so much time with them when they so clearly could be doing something else with there lives.

shame on us.
While I do appreciate most of your sarcasm, the fact is, the combination of both a grade based system with the recent emphasis on early recruiting has in fact spoiled the summer travel game for many. And it's really not about what summer travel sports should be, as you correctly point out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

shame on us.
While I do appreciate most of your sarcasm, the fact is, the combination of both a grade based system with the recent emphasis on early recruiting has in fact spoiled the summer travel game for many. And it's really not about what summer travel sports should be, as you correctly point out.
I have picked up on a divide in Club/travel lax. It used to be just Rec and Club, but there is actually Rec, Club, and Recruiting Club. This structure is widely supported buy the Club population, as many clubs strive for if not exist for getting kids in a recruiting groove (Recruiting Club). Other Clubs like to have teams to go and compete in tournaments where there will be few if any coaches, and these kids want to play at a higher level and be with friends (Club). Then there is good ole Rec.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC is a state school. In state tuition is $8,500

Would you rather play lacrosse at UNC and get a degree in basket weaving because you were unqualified or unable to take a monster major or go to some weaker cheaper state school and get an engineering degree if that's what you want to do?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please post anonymously what your committed son received in scholarship money and approximate % of overall costs. That would be helpful to all those who will go through the process.

2019 $20k 30%

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please post anonymously what your committed son received in scholarship money and approximate % of overall costs. That would be helpful to all those who will go through the process.

2019 $20k 30%

Does it have to be only sons? My daughter got:
2016 Athletic + Academic $40k 66%

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

shame on us.
I have picked up on a divide in Club/travel lax. It used to be just Rec and Club, but there is actually Rec, Club, and Recruiting Club. This structure is widely supported buy the Club population, as many clubs strive for if not exist for getting kids in a recruiting groove (Recruiting Club). Other Clubs like to have teams to go and compete in tournaments where there will be few if any coaches, and these kids want to play at a higher level and be with friends (Club). Then there is good ole Rec.

It's not that clear - when there are club teams that you would label just "club" that have over 20+ boys, with almost a 1/3 going to D I schools in the last 2 years, that oversimplification just doesn't hold up. And that's just one club!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2019 $20k 30%

estimated academic $20k-$25k + Athletic $22k ='s approx tuition

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
$15,000 athletic + $10,000 academic = $15,000 out of pocket, had better offers but loved the school and coach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
28,000 Athletic at Big 10, guaranteed for all 4 years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I imagine most are out-of-state for UNC as their current roster only has about three kids from NC...out-of-state tuition is roughly $33,500. Not sure if the 12.6 scholarships is based on in-state or out-of-state rates, but I'm assuming in-state.

We took part in a play-in day/tour at UNC two weeks ago and loved the facilities, staff and overall atmosphere, but for the lucky (very) few who will ever get to contemplate going there, it isn't cheap. If my kid is fortunate enough to be able to play at the college level, we're not expecting any real money for lax.

The percentages people have mentioned in the past few posts look impressive and they're doing well to get that. A friend who has a kid playing at Denver isn't getting that kind of money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[quote=Anonymous]Would you rather play lacrosse at UNC and get a degree in basket weaving because you were unqualified or unable to take a monster major or go to some weaker cheaper state school and get an engineering degree if that's what you want to do?

I imagine most are out-of-state for UNC as their current roster only has about three kids from NC...out-of-state tuition is roughly $33,500. Not sure if the 12.6 scholarships is based on in-state or out-of-state rates, but I'm assuming in-state.

We took part in a play-in day/tour at UNC two weeks ago and loved the facilities, staff and overall atmosphere, but for the lucky (very) few who will ever get to contemplate going there, it isn't cheap. If my kid is fortunate enough to be able to play at the college level, we're not expecting any real money for lax.

The percentages people have mentioned in the past few posts look impressive and they're doing well to get that. A friend who has a kid playing at Denver isn't getting that kind of money.

25K per year at UNC guaranteed. Top 4 in class player

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

[quote=Anonymous]Would you rather play lacrosse at UNC and get a degree in basket weaving because you were unqualified or unable to take a monster major or go to some weaker cheaper state school and get an engineering degree if that's what you want to do?

25K per year at UNC guaranteed. Top 4 in class player

State schools can and do offer in-state tuitiion waivers as part of their packages.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many kids are receiving nothing, ZERO financial assistance and still committing to D1 programs. The vast majority of the players that do receive scholarship money are in the $10k-15K. $10k being the most common.

I hope this helps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Common denominator with all of UNCs early commits - you guessed it - all reclassed. Enjoy your phony classes!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this is from [lacrosse] - Ivy League - military academy's not included in stats and it noted that some teams are not fully funded

Mens D1
70 teams
3137 participants
avg roster size 45
scholarships allowed 12.6
avg. scholarship $14,151

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Common denominator with all of UNCs early commits - you guessed it - all reclassed. Enjoy your phony classes!

What is reclassed? DeCommitred?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reclassed is the politically correct term for hold back.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Phony or not, their strategy, for whatever motivation, has paid off.
They have an opportunity to participate in a high level program with high level academics.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this is from [lacrosse] - Ivy League - military academy's not included in stats and it noted that some teams are not fully funded

Mens D1
70 teams
3137 participants
avg roster size 45
avg. scholarship $14,151

So lets say tuition is $45k
$45k x 45 roster = $2.0m
12.6 scholarships x $45k = $567k
$567k / 45 players = $12,600 per player
$1.4m per year is unfunded

If the average award is $14,151 then probably the bottom third of all "committed roster players" GET NOTHING!

And $45k is cheap. My kid is looking at $60k schools so hit the books if you want any real money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reclass is when u have your child repeat a grade so he has an extra year and is bigger and stronger than the rest in his grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Phony or not, their strategy, for whatever motivation, has paid off.
They have an opportunity to participate in a high level program with high level academics.

It has not paid off yet. They have 3 year to go and things can change. Grades may not meet expectations and/or the late bloomers may surpass them. If there are better players three years from now, those players will be replaced. There is nothing in writing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Eight years of travel lacrosse, hundreds or weekends, thousands of miles and tens of thousands of dollars has paid off! My son has just received partial offers from Capella, West Governors University and University of Phoenix!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mens D1
70 teams
3137 participants
avg roster size 45
avg. scholarship $14,151

$45k x 45 roster = $2.0m

If the average award is $14,151 then probably the bottom third of all "committed roster players" GET NOTHING!

And $45k is cheap. My kid is looking at $60k schools so hit the books if you want any real money

Or another way to look at it - only 28% (12.6 / 45) of the average team's costs are covered by athletic scholarships. And for every stud that gets more, everyone else gets less.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reclassed is the politically correct term for hold back.
Or a player did a PG year at a Prep School,
which honestly doesn't bother me as much as the players who reclassify in 8th/9th grade just for lacrosse & early recruiting.
But does look like 75% of the 54 kids on the UNC 2017 roster have a prep school listed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mens D1
70 teams
3137 participants
avg roster size 45
avg. scholarship $14,151

$45k x 45 roster = $2.0m

Or another way to look at it - only 28% (12.6 / 45) of the average team's costs are covered by athletic scholarships. And for every stud that gets more, everyone else gets less.
Keeping with UNC is our example the 2017 roster has 54 players listed, 9 red-shirted (mostly sophs & jrs), so I'm guessing lose athletic money if red-shirted?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son has very high scholarship but does not enjoy playing lacrosse as much as he used to. He says all the players are changing their majors to easier ones because it's too hard. The coaches make them practice more than they're supposed to and are very hard on them. He would love to quit but can't due to financial reasons. Boys at Ivies are getting no financial help. My question is if a kid not getting much money, why would he stay on the team? It's a full time job with no pay. Once you get in, you're in, so it makes sense to focus on academics, not dead end lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son has very high scholarship but does not enjoy playing lacrosse as much as he used to. He says all the players are changing their majors to easier ones because it's too hard. The coaches make them practice more than they're supposed to and are very hard on them. He would love to quit but can't due to financial reasons. Boys at Ivies are getting no financial help. My question is if a kid not getting much money, why would he stay on the team? It's a full time job with no pay. Once you get in, you're in, so it makes sense to focus on academics, not dead end lacrosse.

bingo! get in, quit and focus on internships

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They live lacrosse, your son doesn't

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

bingo! get in, quit and focus on internships

I you are not a top 1 percenter, go for low D1, D2 or D3 very different there and not the 5-6 hours a day that top schools practice. Or go to a monster school and play club lax. At those schools the club team will beat most bottom D1 teams it is super competitive but only travel on the weekends

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard