BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 51 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 50 51
Re: Boys 2020- 9th Grade Fall 2016/Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations! you figured it out. If you want to play High Level D1 you will graduate college at age 23-24. This is fact look at the rosters. If you are 21 and graduating top D1 you are
1 in a million type player.
its just the way it is.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Exactly - that's a 2018/17U per USL (http://www.uslacrosse.org/players/player-segmentation) Doesn't mean FCA doesn't have a kid with that DOB on thire 2018, but if they enforced the USL age guidelines, he would be a 2018!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Congratulations! you figured it out. If you want to play High Level D1 you will graduate college at age 23-24. This is fact look at the rosters. If you are 21 and graduating top D1 you are
1 in a million type player.
its just the way it is.

and even those players will redshirt a year. So no player will ever graduate college at age 21.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are referring to the 2020 FCA kid that is committed to UNC and used to play for the Crabs, his birth date is 04/01. He is a one year holdback, not a double holdback!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys have an FCA 2020 commit going to UNC born Jan 2000.
that's fair right.

Please tell me that is a mistake. My son is born October 2000 and is a junior.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty drops new commit for 20s. D to Penn State. Flood gates opening for Fall Ball? Things drying up?
Another Penn State commit from the Rising Sons

The only Penn State players on the roster not reclassed are from LI, 20 yr old Freshman? 24 years old and still in college? Seems like this is the D1 norm

looked at PSU roster. first one is soph from PA born april 97. Normal age for soph. Not going beyond that for research but your post is a generalization that doesn't mean much.

HS True 2021 – 2003 birth year
HS True 2020 – 2002 birth year
HS True 2019 – 2001 birth year
HS True 2018 – 2000 birth year
HS True 2017 – 1999 birth year
HS True 2016 – 1998 birth year (most recent grads, incoming coming college freshmen)

Now, if you go an look at the Syracuse roster, you will see some freshmen and RF's with '95, '96, '97 birthdates.

1995! Really? Culver Academy and Avon Old Farms? 20-21 Year old freshman! Oh, and there's an IMG Academy grad (born in canada) without bio...who knows when he was born. Someone please tell me RF is not 'redshirt freshman' and I did a wrong stat.

2016-17 Syracuse Freshman Stats:

2-3 '95s
5 '96s
3 '97s
10 '98s
0 '99s or single year holdback or reclass
0 '98s or True Grad for incoming freshman

That's the state of the sport folks! 2-5 yrs offset. The single year holdback or 'reclass' as some like to call it is history.

Get good grades and enjoy life!

You cannot use a calendar year to indicate on grade - most school systems have cutoff dates anywhere from Sep to Dec. My son has Dec 2002 DOB and is appropriately an on age 2021. Otherwise, I agree that the holdback/reclass trend is rediculous.

Sure you could, you're that good play up. You can go year, but you late 4th qtr babies would whine. Challenge your kids

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No mistake at all .. Right FCA mom who is in denial that FCA doesn't cheat. The Christian fellowship assess the kids maturity level every year and if they feel they aren't mature enough they hold them back.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs fielded a kid born 3/2000 on their 2020 team. He was 16 and playing against 13 year olds in HOCO. I can only imagine how my on age sons would dominate kids that are 2 years younger. What a joke.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty drops new commit for 20s. D to Penn State. Flood gates opening for Fall Ball? Things drying up?
Another Penn State commit from the Rising Sons

The only Penn State players on the roster not reclassed are from LI, 20 yr old Freshman? 24 years old and still in college? Seems like this is the D1 norm

To put things in perspective: My wife was young for her grade. Graduated a tough nursing program, and was responsible for the lives of 5 premature babies, for a twelve hour shift, at one the nations best Hospitals, at the age of 21!!!! These kids are still running around after a little white ball at age 24-25 and still in college? No wonder this country is a mess!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No mistake at all .. Right FCA mom who is in denial that FCA doesn't cheat. The Christian fellowship assess the kids maturity level every year and if they feel they aren't mature enough they hold them back.

So why don't you tell us what your real issue is with FCA? All of the things that you're saying apply across the board to every single club team in town....like I said before....even the not so competitive teams have hold backs or kids that attended prefirst. And you're even resorting to saying a ton of stuff that isn't even true.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just know that you guys have the worst reputation for cheating amongst all the clubs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FCA and Crabs are the poster children for going age based. Both organizations should be ashamed of themselves. Of course, the Crabs have no shame...so that is not possible....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys have an FCA 2020 commit going to UNC born Jan 2000.
that's fair right.

So ridiculous if true. My 2018 son was born in May 2000! It's one thing when you have kids who are close to the cutoff who start Kindergarten a year late, but kids being held back with this kind of age difference is shameful unless there is a truly an academic reason.

If academic reason not going to UNC. My 2018 born November 2000!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When are you people going to stop crying about holdbacks? It is what it is, US Lacrosse has given the message that they will not fixing this anytime soon, which is why I stopped renewing my childrens memberships (yes you can still register for tounaments using your old number). ALL the clubs condone and encourage holdbacks. You are fighting a loosing battle. You should put your energy into getting your kid recruited. Plenty of on age kids have college commitments, including my own.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When are you people going to stop crying about holdbacks? It is what it is, US Lacrosse has given the message that they will not fixing this anytime soon, which is why I stopped renewing my childrens memberships (yes you can still register for tounaments using your old number). ALL the clubs condone and encourage holdbacks. You are fighting a loosing battle. You should put your energy into getting your kid recruited. Plenty of on age kids have college commitments, including my own.
I'm sorry, but until lacrosse goes to an aged based system, like most other sports I'm not going to stop 'crying' about what 8th/9th grade holdbacks are doing to the game. Now, if the only reason the youth game of lacrosse exists is for college recruitment, then yes whatever means possible, get recruited. Having played in HS 40 years ago and to see the current direction, where my own son, who has strong stick skills, but is undersized and quite frankly can't compete with kids 1-2 years older, has decided he'd rather no longer play summer lacrosse.( Just turned 14) So yeah, I'm going to cry about what a grade based system is doing to the game, by encouraging kids (the parents really) to play down for early recruitment versus every other sport where kids play up to be noticed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the poster above who said we should stop crying about holdbacks and worry about getting our sons recruited - some thoughts for you:

The issue of reclassification is bigger than your son or my son getting recruited. The uneven playing field that is created in youth lacrosse by not being age based is damaging the integrity of the game. Having 16 year old 8th graders play against pre-pubescent 13 year olds does nothing but help keep this sport in the category of a rich kid's hobby. It needs to be changed and US Lacrosse has provided the guidelines on how they are going to address it. We will see what happens.

It's great that your son has a verbal commitment. I mean that sincerely. It's a real accomplishment in this crazy new world - particularly if he is on age. Please understand that until he signs his letter of intent it is meaningless. Your kid has a slot reserved for him on a team 4 years from now. Injury, social media mistakes, academics, coaching changes all can burn the dream down in a hurry. DONT count your chickens.

I have 4 kids - 1 played D1 lacrosse, another played D3. One has a National Championship ring. The other two are under 10 and play for competitive club teams. Youth lacrosse now is a shadow of itself and it is largely because of early recruiting and reclassification run amok.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the poster above who said we should stop crying about holdbacks and worry about getting our sons recruited - some thoughts for you:

The issue of reclassification is bigger than your son or my son getting recruited. The uneven playing field that is created in youth lacrosse by not being age based is damaging the integrity of the game. Having 16 year old 8th graders play against pre-pubescent 13 year olds does nothing but help keep this sport in the category of a rich kid's hobby. It needs to be changed and US Lacrosse has provided the guidelines on how they are going to address it. We will see what happens.

It's great that your son has a verbal commitment. I mean that sincerely. It's a real accomplishment in this crazy new world - particularly if he is on age. Please understand that until he signs his letter of intent it is meaningless. Your kid has a slot reserved for him on a team 4 years from now. Injury, social media mistakes, academics, coaching changes all can burn the dream down in a hurry. DONT count your chickens.

I have 4 kids - 1 played D1 lacrosse, another played D3. One has a National Championship ring. The other two are under 10 and play for competitive club teams. Youth lacrosse now is a shadow of itself and it is largely because of early recruiting and reclassification run amok.

I do agree with you, and I "cried " about this for two years before I realized I was wasting my time. My son struggled against the more mature players a bit, but is starting to even out now. Throughout last summer and this fall, the tide began to turn back in his favor, coaches noticed, and he received several offers. I have one in a very good D1 program now, who also committed early, so I know how it works. Verbals are not broken by schools, they are broken by players. Lastly, don't count on US Lacrosse doing anything about this that is meangful. They are useless. It's a shame what's happened, but it is what it is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For the incredibly happy families of the 60+ 2020 "early commits" the sport of Lacrosse and every aspect of it couldn't be better! Find some other place to spew your negativity. Cheers.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For the incredibly happy families of the 60+ 2020 "early commits" the sport of Lacrosse and every aspect of it couldn't be better! Find some other place to spew your negativity. Cheers.
Early recruiting sucks unless your kid is one of them. Bottom line. I'm around a bunch of friends whose kids are not and trust me their pulling their hair out. Most of them will find a place its just convincing dad, mom and kid to be patient while these 60+ kids are off the board. Its hard, lots of pressure on the 2020 class right now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]For the incredibly happy families of the 60+ 2020 "early commits" the sport of Lacrosse and every aspect of it couldn't be better! Find some other place to spew your negativity. Cheers.
Early recruiting sucks unless your kid is one of them. Bottom line. I'm around a bunch of friends whose kids are not and trust me their pulling their hair out. Most of them will find a place its just convincing dad, mom and kid to be patient while these 60+ kids are off the board. Its hard, lots of pressure on the 2020 class right now.

I think you can understand the anxiety involved. Agree with the previous 2 posts. Its natural to want it now, and to be less than cordial to those that have it. Kudos to those 60+. To the negativity crowd, channel it in the proper direction.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who exactly is the negative crowd? The crowd that is pointing out the painfully obvious damage to youth lacrosse caused by reclassing, early recruiting, etc? Truth hurts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Who exactly is the negative crowd? The crowd that is pointing out the painfully obvious damage to youth lacrosse caused by reclassing, early recruiting, etc? Truth hurts.

What's painfully obvious is your transparently negative for a reason. Sad, but very common for this sport at this level.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who exactly is the negative crowd? The crowd that is pointing out the painfully obvious damage to youth lacrosse caused by reclassing, early recruiting, etc? Truth hurts.
I'm not sure how many of the early 2020's are reclassed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You sir are the ring leader of the whiny, frustrated, bitter and negative crowd. I was about to commend the two previous post and you came crawling out from beneath your Troll rock. Let me reiterate. There are 60+ 2020 families who couldn't be happier this Holiday season with the current state of youth Lacrosse. It has served them well. Opportunities abound!! I hope you don't drag your son down with all your negativity. He actually might have a shot at the next level if he stops listening to you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You sir are the ring leader of the whiny, frustrated, bitter and negative crowd. I was about to commend the two previous post and you came crawling out from beneath your Troll rock. Let me reiterate. There are 60+ 2020 families who couldn't be happier this Holiday season with the current state of youth Lacrosse. It has served them well. Opportunities abound!! I hope you don't drag your son down with all your negativity. He actually might have a shot at the next level if he stops listening to you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And there we have the usual attitude of most of the early committed crowd of which many- not all - are holdbacks. This will all catch up and even out over the next 3 years as many of those who peaked early are surpassed and replaced on these lists by kids whose grades are just as good as their stick skills and were just late bloomers or on age players. Plenty of room and plenty of movement will still take place with the best players whether early commits or not, ending up in the best slots. A school is not going to turn down the best players because they verbally committed a 9th grader that peaked in the 8th or 9th grade. No worries the uncommitted kids are actually in the better position - all upside potential.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]For the incredibly happy families of the 60+ 2020 "early commits" the sport of Lacrosse and every aspect of it couldn't be better! Find some other place to spew your negativity. Cheers.

And there we have the usual attitude of most of the early committed crowd of which many- not all - are holdbacks. This will all catch up and even out over the next 3 years as many of those who peaked early are surpassed and replaced on these lists by kids whose grades are just as good as their stick skills and were just late bloomers or on age players. Plenty of room and plenty of movement will still take place with the best players whether early commits or not, ending up in the best slots. A school is not going to turn down the best players because they verbally committed a 9th grader that peaked in the 8th or 9th grade. No worries the uncommitted kids are actually in the better position - all upside potential.

That's RICH

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's RICH

You probably shouldn't be so quick to assume that all early commits are knitwhits and make crummy grades. My son is an early commit and takes grades more seriously than anything. He studies very hard and makes straight A's in honors classes. His lacrosse skills and fitness are a close second and he works extremely hard at both. He absolutely earned his early commitment spot after years of being the youngest, smallest kid on ALL of his youth lax teams. So enough about being forced to compete with kids who may be older or bigger. Kids in that position should take it as an opportunity to push themselves because that's exactly what it is when you're younger and smaller. In fact, a younger, smaller kid who is hungry and willing to work hard has much more of an opportunity to improve than the older, bigger kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Folks I can tell you first hand what it feels like to be a late bloomer and being passed over for size at this age. 9th and 10th grade so many boys grew and became men and I still was a boy. Coaches will always tell me if i only had size. They knew i had better skill and had the determination but lack of the puberty thing did hurt. I was 5'5" 125lbs. Going up against the bigger physically mature kids was a major challenge. Most of these boys stop growing at this time. I knew i had to start lifting and come into my own. By my senior year was only 5"7" 155 but was gaining confidence. So all the spots were taking by colleges, and i still wasnt getting looks. When i graduated i lifted hard started filling out and then surpassed many guys. Walked on a div 1 school the next year as a sophmore 5'9" 185 and was killing people. And became a starter and did many great things on the field. Tell your boys do not give up. But unfortunately for this sport the early bloomer gets the worm. I dont like to see kids fail but many late bloomers will be surpassed. My 2019 is just like me and it sucks. But i tell him to keep working hit the gym and good things will come with hard work. Good luck to all hope this helps someone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have information on Maverik Showtime I see by the webpage it says soldout. Have invites already been sent out for 2017. Thanks for any help here

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Invites went out in September.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maverick conflicts with Crab Feast for 2020s/19s. As much as I hate to say it - Fat Crab puts on a [lacrosse] of a tournament. More College coaches in one place than any tournament I have ever seen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maverick conflicts with Crab Feast for 2020s/19s. As much as I hate to say it - Fat Crab puts on a [lacrosse] of a tournament. More College coaches in one place than any tournament I have ever seen.

Maverick also has a ton of college coaches at all of their events. There will be coaches from the same colleges at both events, maybe not the head coach at both, but all the major colleges will have someone at both.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that would have been my next question what are kids doing that are supposed to play at Crabfeast. Do they show up at maverik sunday night? And agree with u on Ryan, the NLF event at Boys Latin was our teams best event this Fall by far

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually, I know a few of the families of these commits and I can tell you, they are not happy about it either. They feel like their kid was forced to make a decision earlier than they would have liked. Did they do it, yes because they felt pressure, not because they think it is in the best interest of their son. There is 4 years between now and their freshman year in college and they realize that a lot can happen between now and then. I hope that every family that is "thrilled" now stays that way, but I can tell you, that won't be the case. And, the families that realize just how much pressure is now on their kid, really aren't that thrilled...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nobody is happy with "every aspect" of the game right now. The early recruit parents I have talked to have been unhappy with the process. Yes, they are happy their son has a place, but they all still question if it will be the place in the end. Pressuring 14 yr old boys (if on age) to decide their futures is not a good aspect of lacrosse at present.

Despite your attempt to speak for all the early recruits, I would guess you really only speak for yourself. To you I say congratulations for your son's achievement. I hope it works out for him. But the journey is not over. He will always feel the pressure to justify his early commitment. I hope he continues to work hard and gets the grades needed.

Cheers to all this Holiday Season.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's RICH

You probably shouldn't be so quick to assume that all early commits are knitwhits and make crummy grades. My son is an early commit and takes grades more seriously than anything. He studies very hard and makes straight A's in honors classes. His lacrosse skills and fitness are a close second and he works extremely hard at both. He absolutely earned his early commitment spot after years of being the youngest, smallest kid on ALL of his youth lax teams. So enough about being forced to compete with kids who may be older or bigger. Kids in that position should take it as an opportunity to push themselves because that's exactly what it is when you're younger and smaller. In fact, a younger, smaller kid who is hungry and willing to work hard has much more of an opportunity to improve than the older, bigger kids.
My son went very early and he too does very well in school actually had ivy interest this Summer and passed on it for the school he wanted. Also on age and not a bigger faster stronger kid just a great player.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Folks I can tell you first hand what it feels like to be a late bloomer and being passed over for size at this age. 9th and 10th grade so many boys grew and became men and I still was a boy. Coaches will always tell me if i only had size. They knew i had better skill and had the determination but lack of the puberty thing did hurt. I was 5'5" 125lbs. Going up against the bigger physically mature kids was a major challenge. Most of these boys stop growing at this time. I knew i had to start lifting and come into my own. By my senior year was only 5"7" 155 but was gaining confidence. So all the spots were taking by colleges, and i still wasnt getting looks. When i graduated i lifted hard started filling out and then surpassed many guys. Walked on a div 1 school the next year as a sophmore 5'9" 185 and was killing people. And became a starter and did many great things on the field. Tell your boys do not give up. But unfortunately for this sport the early bloomer gets the worm. I dont like to see kids fail but many late bloomers will be surpassed. My 2019 is just like me and it sucks. But i tell him to keep working hit the gym and good things will come with hard work. Good luck to all hope this helps someone.

Great post Rudy! What a phony.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great advice, what you say is true. Told my son the same. He is still small, but growing now. His size made him work harder. He has also been on several visits to top 30 schools and has 3 solid offers and will be deciding within the next couple weeks. Good luck to all the boys. Lots of opportunities for those who persevere through the craziness. I do laugh now thinking about all the posts claiming my shorter son would not be rercruited. Clearly people have no idea what they're talking about on here.

Page 21 of 51 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard