BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29
Re: WSYL NEW RULES
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am assuming after what Igloo has done in the fall they have to be the favorite?

And this is relevant how? What are you talking about? Stop stirring the pot and put the spoon down

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What pot would that be
I am assuming after what Igloo has done in the fall they have to be the favorite?

And this is relevant how? What are you talking about? Stop stirring the pot and put the spoon down

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Penguin

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Penguin

Not the penguin. Seriously get a life

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone knows the real champions will be crowned at NLF, Young Guns, or Millon Championship. Wsyl is a farce.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Penguin

Riddler?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Penguin

Riddler?

The sky is red my blood is blue.... I'm going to stomp you with my orange shoe.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What teams are planning on going to the qualifying events?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Igloo

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oranges for sure

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the age requirements set in stone, or in a month or two will they realize 3/4 of the 2022 team's that should be playing won't?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CONCRETE

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No in fact the teams that should be playing will be playing

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CONCRETE

Didn't they say that before and than change the date?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
9/1 cutoff date is how it should be.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They should make that 9/1 the cut-off for all age groups!!!. Acrose the board. And enforce it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They should make that 9/1 the cut-off for all age groups!!!. Acrose the board. And enforce it!

why not 12/1? It is a big difference a 9/1 start vs all the kids born the following year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
9/1 probably better correlates with school age cut offs (key!) and it is the date which signifies the start of the new lacrosse season from USL's POV.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
9/1 probably better correlates with school age cut offs (key!) and it is the date which signifies the start of the new lacrosse season from USL's POV.

19 states use 9/1 date for school. The rest of the states are all over the board.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Never happen too much $ in the club teams that have kids born before 9/1. In the long run does it really matter, once they get to high school they could end up playing kids that are 3-4 years older. And my kid has a Nov birthday so making the cut off 9/1 would be a great thing for him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WSYL winner is as irrelevant as the USL champion. No competitive teams follow those age restrictions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WSYL winner is as irrelevant as the USL champion. No competitive teams follow those age restrictions.

That's the point.....They should.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes..but to much money to be made by clubs and bragging rights to not have these kids that have been held back in school playing against younger kids in youth lacrosse. It is soo competitive and fair watching select kids play down at 12 years old. Ask any club owner..It is the right thing to do!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
9d1 goalie is not from Long Island???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He is from LI. And in NY, school cutoff is 12/1.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dukes National had a goalie from NC last year that could play. Would 9+1 really cheat to that extreme.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Dukes National had a goalie from NC last year that could play. Would 9+1 really cheat to that extreme.

9D1 MD has a player from Texas.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes any kid can play anywhere in the country on any team they choose but for WSYL rules are you live 100 miles from home field how can you live in NC and claim you are 100 miles away from 9d1 Long Island home field. Let me guess you have a Summer rental and you will be sure to have a NYS photo ID ..... If you need to go to that extreme good for you but YOU ARE CHEATING

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes any kid can play anywhere in the country on any team they choose but for WSYL rules are you live 100 miles from home field how can you live in NC and claim you are 100 miles away from 9d1 Long Island home field. Let me guess you have a Summer rental and you will be sure to have a NYS photo ID ..... If you need to go to that extreme good for you but YOU ARE CHEATING

So WSYL lists all the requirements for participation in this tournament and each roster has to be submitted in advance. If a team wants to try to bring in an out of town player, let them. The roster will still need to be approved.

Seems like there are multiple proof of residency checks for each player:
- participation in at least 2 tournaments with team
- 100 mile to home field address
- '16/'17 academic year report card
- school id card
- birth certificate
- valid parents drivers license (i'm assuming wsyl will double check to make sure the name of the parents matches the names on the birth certificate)

That seems like a pretty good checklist to ensure rosters are not full of flown in talent. If a NY team can bring in a NC student, I think the ones to be mad at is the WSYL for allowing it to happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think you are required to submit a school report card to prove the area that you live.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the Maryland boys can just use their drivers license

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the NY teams going to the WSYL taking there 2022 teams, mix of 22/23 or having there 23 teams play up?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they are taking the boys born after 9/1/2003.
regardless of grade
some are 8th grade, most are 7th grade, a few are 6th grade.
none are driving yet
non are shaving yet
some have hair on their upper lip(notably the Italian boys)
some have hair down there too
most are just immature boys

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes..but to much money to be made by clubs and bragging rights to not have these kids that have been held back in school playing against younger kids in youth lacrosse. It is soo competitive and fair watching select kids play down at 12 years old. Ask any club owner..It is the right thing to do!

The age cutoff is going against the structure of many clubs in Maryland. The obvious clubs with holdbacks , CRABS, FCA, etc will probably not compete as they cant field competitive age based teams.I assume other Top clubs from other areas with heldback kids are in same boat.
Unless something changes it looks like there will be two paths in the club world of lacrosse as time goes on.

At this point I personally dont think grade base teams with select kids playing down will go away.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the question is if your son is born after the cutoff, but is playing 2021, would you want him to go?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know Body By Jake said his model was the Little League World Series, but I think WSYL misses one key ingredient from that model.

Participants in the LLWS are all-star teams selected from within local "Little Leagues." So they basically play rec ball all season with their school friends and then come together after the regular season. Chances are, the teams that win those leagues make up most of the rosters of these all-star teams, with others sprinkled in. So these teams are basically local teams that play ball locally until the LLWS qualifiers... they're not travel teams. This feels pretty organic to me, and I think that's part of the appeal.

But WSYL basically encourages year-round club programs that can draw from relatively large areas. I doubt you'd need a 100-mile radius to fill a LLWS team, at least in the US, and after the Chicago scandal a couple years ago you'd probably be accused of cheating if you tried. I don't doubt that the players on club lacrosse teams become friends and all that, and I don't doubt those kids play at least partially for the joy of it. But these teams are assembled specifically for traveling to high-quality tournaments to develop and showcase their players' talents. So it just doesn't seem the same to me. Maybe the general public doesn't get the distinction, so maybe for developing an audience that's OK. But still...

At the WSYL, I saw kids playing for Mesa California that had in the fall and even later in the summer played for 3d Pacific.

The age cutoff is going against the structure of many clubs in Maryland. The obvious clubs with holdbacks , CRABS, FCA, etc will probably not compete as they cant field competitive age based teams.I assume other Top clubs from other areas with heldback kids are in same boat.
Unless something changes it looks like there will be two paths in the club world of lacrosse as time goes on.

At this point I personally dont think grade base teams with select kids playing down will go away.

There will only be one model for club - grade based. All programs that intend to be travel programs are trending towards this.

Only town/rec lacrosse leagues and tournaments, who actually do tend to use US Lacrosse rules and guidelines, will continue to go by age. But with the new player segmentation guidelines, they're even giving a little nod to grade-based.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know Body By Jake said his model was the Little League World Series, but I think WSYL misses one key ingredient from that model.

Participants in the LLWS are all-star teams selected from within local "Little Leagues." So they basically play rec ball all season with their school friends and then come together after the regular season. Chances are, the teams that win those leagues make up most of the rosters of these all-star teams, with others sprinkled in. So these teams are basically local teams that play ball locally until the LLWS qualifiers... they're not travel teams. This feels pretty organic to me, and I think that's part of the appeal.

But WSYL basically encourages year-round club programs that can draw from relatively large areas. I doubt you'd need a 100-mile radius to fill a LLWS team, at least in the US, and after the Chicago scandal a couple years ago you'd probably be accused of cheating if you tried. I don't doubt that the players on club lacrosse teams become friends and all that, and I don't doubt those kids play at least partially for the joy of it. But these teams are assembled specifically for traveling to high-quality tournaments to develop and showcase their players' talents. So it just doesn't seem the same to me. Maybe the general public doesn't get the distinction, so maybe for developing an audience that's OK. But still...

At the WSYL, I saw kids playing for Mesa California that had in the fall and even later in the summer played for 3d Pacific.

There will only be one model for club - grade based. All programs that intend to be travel programs are trending towards this.

Only town/rec lacrosse leagues and tournaments, who actually do tend to use US Lacrosse rules and guidelines, will continue to go by age. But with the new player segmentation guidelines, they're even giving a little nod to grade-based.

Well that's a shame! KIDS should play sports with kids of the same age. When they get to high school then it should be grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just don't get what these people are trying to do with their kids. My son is an Oct birthday, and he is playing with his grade. I would never hold him back just to make him one of the older kids instead of the younger ones. He is one of the better kids in his grade, and he would be a beast in the grade below. But he wouldn't get anywhere, and when he goes to play the older kids in HS, he would be lost. I have seen it happen many times where kids get held back and are studs, and then don't even start in HS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just don't get what these people are trying to do with their kids. My son is an Oct birthday, and he is playing with his grade. I would never hold him back just to make him one of the older kids instead of the younger ones. He is one of the better kids in his grade, and he would be a beast in the grade below. But he wouldn't get anywhere, and when he goes to play the older kids in HS, he would be lost. I have seen it happen many times where kids get held back and are studs, and then don't even start in HS.

Your child would be a beast if he was held back. A superstar player. And he would be easily a starter in HS, if he is good at age now. Unfortunately holding back your child does work for many not all. Maryland MIAA teams are proof of that. They are loaded with holdbacks. Very few Freshman start but many are starters in their Soph and JR year. I dont think many would be starters without that advantage.

Like Reply Quote
Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard