BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 63 of 111 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 110 111
Re: CHAMINADE Lacrosse. Stories and news.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
About chaminade taking some of the boys to a lax tournament this past weekend, can you tell me what grade this was? Obviously my son is not in the inner circle and will never be at this particular school. The heavy parental involvement with the coaches is so obvious and I agree it's awful the school doesn't insist on higher morals over this extreme politicking but besides a good education my sons are learning early how politics run in the real world, though they shouldn't be this way with the brothers who talk to the kids daily about doing the right thing all the time.

Chaminade did not have a team in a tournament. A bunch of the students got together and entered as "Lead the Way" on their own. The goal of these young men was to raise money for The Lead the Way Fund in honor of the late SGT James (Jimmy) J. Regan, Chaminade High School Class of 1998. They had over 30 players and raised over $3000 for this incredible cause. The class of 2017 has done this over the last few years at Lake Placid and have raised over $20,000 in total. My suggestion is go to "The Lead the Way Fund" web page, learn about these great Americans who fight everyday for all of our freedom, and make a donation instead of discussing how bad this was. God bless America!

Very nice to raise money!

They got beat up in Lake Placid!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed your right to be proud of the boys supporting the cause. You are missing the point, you can be proud, be included and still if you are fair realize it is still wrong the "Extreme" parental involvement with the coaches and the school teams. I would think the school wouldn't want this reputation as catering the wealthier parents as opposed to a kid not from the Popular town where the parents are both working full time and cant and honestly don't want to kiss their [lacrosse] as part of the decision as to whether your kids included or not. God Bless America. Believe me I am just as patriotic as the next guy just because im not wearing the corduroys with the flags all over or not. Its important to raise nice children also.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm sure all the boys would have loved to have been part of that great cause. It's a shame if your child is not one of the "in" boys.

Who coached the team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's sad actually. Youth sports have become so toxic. Especially lacrosse. I see parents and boys that are on the same team who are just out for themselves. Or their friend's kid. If your son isn't in with the "in" group, he will miss out. When I was growing up playing youth sports, this problem didn't exist. Because Dad's actually had to go to work. They couldn't make it their full-time job to drag their son to every practice and game and hang around and watch. Let alone stick their head up the coaches butt getting that extra edge. My parents hardly came to a game. It's the over involvement of the parents that has ruin youth sports today.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow...incoherent much?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed your right to be proud of the boys supporting the cause. You are missing the point, you can be proud, be included and still if you are fair realize it is still wrong the "Extreme" parental involvement with the coaches and the school teams. I would think the school wouldn't want this reputation as catering the wealthier parents as opposed to a kid not from the Popular town where the parents are both working full time and cant and honestly don't want to kiss their [lacrosse] as part of the decision as to whether your kids included or not. God Bless America. Believe me I am just as patriotic as the next guy just because im not wearing the corduroys with the flags all over or not. Its important to raise nice children also.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that's what I meant by incoherent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This favoritism with the coaches happens at every High School Sports program. The only sport in my opinion that it does not happen is Football. The best players will play for obvious reasons. For the other sports when two kids are of similar talent, if one kid plays at a club or with the coach outside of the school, they will be picked. I am a first year Chaminade parent and just experienced it with freshman Basketball. Some kids made the team because of their AAU team with the coaches. Good life experience for my son. He is a very good lacrosse player but is not with the express program. Will an express kid get the nod over a similar talented kid. Absolutely. The non express kid has to be much better in order to make the team or get playing time. It will surely be an interesting spring. We are at the school for academics first, the sports are secondary.

Football is not immune to this - at premier programs, politics plays a role. It happens in college programs at all divisions as well. As a prime example, the athlete that was highly recruited will get a very long leash when he under performs to coaches expectations.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was referring to the post that concluded with the corduroy comment...that was incoherent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love u people that say u are in it for academics first. Then by 10 Th grade u realize your kid will not see the field, you transfer out, lol

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see that in lacrosse. My son is good, but is not allowed to make mistakes without getting berated or losing playing time. He has a teammate who I admit is great, but is constantly making multiple mistakes. But I guess if you produce more, you get a longer rope.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Income inequality waa,waa,waa

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Totally disagree with you. In Football the best play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Totally disagree with you. In Football the best play.

I played college ball and it happens. If it happens there, it will happen at elite programs below the college level where recruiting is involved. Your entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see that in lacrosse. My son is good, but is not allowed to make mistakes without getting berated or losing playing time. He has a teammate who I admit is great, but is constantly making multiple mistakes. But I guess if you produce more, you get a longer rope.

People with exception talent will get the longer rope in just about everything, not just lacrosse or sports in general

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also played college ball. Sorry to hear it happened at your program. I still disagree.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also played college ball. Sorry to hear it happened at your program. I still disagree.

I have friends and acquaintances that played elsewhere and they echo the same experience in their programs. It's always the same story: a player who the coaches invested a lot of time and effort to recruit shows up, and Freshman into Sophomore year doesn't live up to what was expected - yet they give that player a much longer rope (playing time) than another player that wasn't recruited as heavily, but who, obvious to everyone else, can already produce more that the higher recruited kid. The assumption is consistently that they give the kid more rope since they have to justify the recruiting investment they made. Regardless, in these cases, the better player at that moment is not playing. (This happens in pro sports also with teams' highest salaried players.)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kind of sounds like the pros....first round pick gets a lot of rope, not so much the 7th round pick. So to summarize, politics play a part in youth sports, HS sports, club sports, college sports, and the pros.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, bu more so at the higher levels, and the discussion started with Chaminade football, so, yes it will/could happen there despite the original poster saying no.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I have a 2023 son that plays Lax and is considered a top player. He does not play on Express. I also live in a town that has won a state title in Lax within the last few years, it also is a great school district. I stress academics to my kids, any advice on applying to Chaminade or staying put. Only reason why I mentioned I don't play on Express is because of the rumors if you don't paly there you wont play at Chaminade. I also had two cousins (twins) that went to Chaminade and they both went on to excellent colleges and it seemed to me that where they went to High School did play a roll. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I have time to make a decision...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I have a 2023 son that plays Lax and is considered a top player. He does not play on Express. I also live in a town that has won a state title in Lax within the last few years, it also is a great school district. I stress academics to my kids, any advice on applying to Chaminade or staying put. Only reason why I mentioned I don't play on Express is because of the rumors if you don't paly there you wont play at Chaminade. I also had two cousins (twins) that went to Chaminade and they both went on to excellent colleges and it seemed to me that where they went to High School did play a roll. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I have time to make a decision...

It comes down to a few things. Most important question - Does your son want to go there ? It is an all-boys school. Then there is a commute, could be an hour or more depending where you live. Does your son want to do that everyday ?
I know boys who don't mind and boys who didn't like it and came back to public.
Chaminade does have a good academic reputation, but if you go to a good public and your kid is in honors/AP courses will it make much of a difference ? I would say there is advantage if you are looking at catholic colleges.
Finally, the lacrosse part. Your son may be a top player now, but a few years can make a huge difference. I know a few boys who were on Express top team in 6th grade, but were dropped off top team as freshman or sophomores. I'm sure that was tough for them, but it was devastating to their parents who thought they would always be top players.
Chaminade has 90 + boys try out for freshman team. I think they keep about half, and half of that group see the field.
So in two years ask yourself these questions :
Does my son really want to go there ?
Is he mentally mature enough as it takes a special kind of kid to handle longer day with commute, homework and more rigid structure ?
Would my son want to still be there if he doesn't make lax team ?
Does he really know how the commute/ time factors will affect him ?
If he does make the team, is he okay with being a role player or hardly seeing the field at all ?
What type of colleges is he looking at ?
Is he being looked at by HS varsity coach to be on varsity in 9th or 10th grade ?
Would he be okay with getting into a better academic college and not playing D1 lacrosse ?

Good luck, hope I was helpful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great points. good advice.
its role...not roll ...minor detail., but lets grammar shall we...?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
^^^^ That is the definition of a reasoned, helpful response. Cue the negative Nancy's in 3, 2, 1, . . .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree . that is a very good response. its obviously from a mom or dad who experienced the process at Chaminade first hand and recently. please re-read it . its not malicious or judgmental. its factual. one more thing your shared experience with your son can be very painful if its all about lacrosse.
assume that this is directed at YOU....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about the 9th grader who is better then the senior but has to wait his turn.

He's not, and that's what you knowingly signed up for ! That 9th grader doesn't even get to play JV. They play on all freshman team.

All while my son has been lighting it up on varsity since freshman year for a great public school program, and I mean great athletically as well as academically. He will go to a top 20 school with enough AP credits to enter with sophomore standing. And he has the excitement and experience of 4 years of varsity. Is there really even a debate?

That's so not the norm. Congrats to your prodigy. If you were all that there would be no need to trash talk on a Chamnade thread.

Not trash talking, just stating facts. And my son is certainly not the only one. Go to WM,Syosset, SE,GC,etc, you will find many similar stories. If you are happy at Cham, that's great. Just suggesting many publics offer the kids a better overall experience. Oh,and there are girls!

Please keep Syosset out of this dog-fight. This is a Chammy thread. Let's focus on the quickly approaching season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree . that is a very good response. its obviously from a mom or dad who experienced the process at Chaminade first hand and recently. please re-read it . its not malicious or judgmental. its factual. one more thing your shared experience with your son can be very painful if its all about lacrosse.

Oh yes, factual -- blah, blah, blah it takes a mature, special kid to handle it ... they have to travel, and I hear walk up hill to school both ways!!!! don't make me puke, its just another school overselling itself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade is a great school. You may be a big fish in a small pond, but when you get there you see the level of competetion. Yeah you lit it up for CYO but now try to make the Chaminade basketball team! Same for soccer, baseball, etc. Football and lax are actually better in the sense that they take more kids. The problem with lax is 100 kids show up and 90% can play.....Say what you want, but you have to have skill to get on that team. Older sons have gone through this before.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh yes, factual -- blah, blah, blah it takes a mature, special kid to handle it ... they have to travel, and I hear walk up hill to school both ways!!!! don't make me puke, its just another school overselling itself.

I wrote what I know of some families experiences to respond to the parent asking. My son is in high school and plays for a top public school program. He never considered Chaminade and he wouldn't have the determination to do well there anyway, if he could get in. I was just relaying what I know has happened to other kids from my town and other programs that went that route. Some boys like it, some don't. It would be nice if there was more helpful advice and a lot less jealousy, bragging and general immature behavior from supposed adults.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ignore the morons. It's a sad life they lead. Thanks for sharing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade is a great school. You may be a big fish in a small pond, but when you get there you see the level of competetion. Yeah you lit it up for CYO but now try to make the Chaminade basketball team! Same for soccer, baseball, etc. Football and lax are actually better in the sense that they take more kids. The problem with lax is 100 kids show up and 90% can play.....Say what you want, but you have to have skill to get on that team. Older sons have gone through this before.

If Lax is so tough, why do they keep losing to town teams that have a total of 300-400 boys in the entire HS? These town teams have 40 kids show up to tryouts to field a team from. They should be beating these teams by 10 with the second line. How come they routinely duck MIAA teams, year in and year out? Not bashing the team, just pointing out that the stories just don't match the results on the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe those kids are burnt out by Junior/Senior year. Don't know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If Lax is so tough, why do they keep losing to town teams that have a total of 300-400 boys in the entire HS? These town teams have 40 kids show up to tryouts to field a team from. They should be beating these teams by 10 with the second line. How come they routinely duck MIAA teams, year in and year out? Not bashing the team, just pointing out that the stories just don't match the results on the field.

Hasn't this been beaten to death? When Cham beats Pequa, WI or Manhasset every says "well, of course -- they should". When they lose to a team like Pequa -- a great program with tons of excellent players, Chaminade sucks. Enough already, if you can't admit that it is one of the top programs in America then you are really just delusional. Are there off years? Yes. Should they win more with the talent they have? Yes. But don't say "they keep losing to town teams" like they suck. Just ridiculous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the guy whose freshman is lighting up on varsity at a top public. What school. Because I'm callin BS on your whole story!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hasn't this been beaten to death? When Cham beats Pequa, WI or Manhasset every says "well, of course -- they should". When they lose to a team like Pequa -- a great program with tons of excellent players, Chaminade sucks. Enough already, if you can't admit that it is one of the top programs in America then you are really just delusional. Are there off years? Yes. Should they win more with the talent they have? Yes. But don't say "they keep losing to town teams" like they suck. Just ridiculous.

Should never lose if so far superior. Games shouldn't even be close. The fact that they are, and many are lost is ridiculous. Again, if top program in America, why no MIAA? Why no Culver? Why no Inter-AC? Invite them in for game, they'll play you. Those guys all play one another. Parents should demand to play other top programs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Should never lose if so far superior. Games shouldn't even be close. The fact that they are, and many are lost is ridiculous. Again, if top program in America, why no MIAA? Why no Culver? Why no Inter-AC? Invite them in for game, they'll play you. Those guys all play one another. Parents should demand to play other top programs.

No school in New [lacrosse] plays a schedule with as much geographic diversity as the two CHSAA schools do (not the fault of the public schools, but this point stands). And neither Chaminade nor St. Anthony's have travel budgets anything like the middle-Atlantic prep schools do, so you can't really expect them to take real trips out of the area more than once or twice per season.

"Parents should demand to play other top programs." LOL.

(Fun fact: Chaminade will be playing McDonogh this coming year.)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes that is what the parents should demand of the school. And what school are district are you at where you are making demands chief?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If Lax is so tough, why do they keep losing to town teams that have a total of 300-400 boys in the entire HS? These town teams have 40 kids show up to tryouts to field a team from. They should be beating these teams by 10 with the second line. How come they routinely duck MIAA teams, year in and year out? Not bashing the team, just pointing out that the stories just don't match the results on the field. [/quote]

They don't win because the coaching is terrible and because of the politics are out of control...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there is an argument to be made for admissions. The same reason a school like ND struggles against Alabama in football. There are many more boys but they are not all athletes. Some are just students and maybe just maybe your school doesn't come close academically. We'll never know unless you post the name. Will you?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
more Chaminade posts please? this blog absolutely carries this website.
very entertaining stuff.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team USA roster set for January 15 exhibition against Norte Dame -- three former Flyers.

Like Reply Quote
Page 63 of 111 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 110 111
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard