BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,621
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 58 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how about Nova? I hear they are stingy

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Holy Cross offered my son a roster spot, no money. How can they build a power program, investing $100mm++ on facilities and still only have three scholarships total? Didn't really have the best experience in the recruiting process. I like straight forward answers to my questions, liked to keep things vague. No thanks. Sharing my experience.

I think HC has only 2 scholarships, not 3.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Holy Cross offered my son a roster spot, no money. How can they build a power program, investing $100mm++ on facilities and still only have three scholarships total? Didn't really have the best experience in the recruiting process. I like straight forward answers to my questions, liked to keep things vague. No thanks. Sharing my experience.

Patriot League (for the most part) does not offer scholarships. I think Bucknell has 1 that they divide up. The HC scholarships are new. They didn't exist 3 years ago...

Best deal in the Patriot League is NAVY. Free rides for everyone! You just need that Senator from Idaho's appointment.....

Like Reply Quote
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
Yes, the Navy is a free ride, BUT (1) you need to be interviewed and nominated to go to the academy (Annapolis), and (2) you will need to serve 4 years as an officer in the Navy.

The other option is NROTC with the same obligations, but you go to a college or university that has a NROTC chapter which most schools do.

The best part is after your 4 year obligation should you choose to leave the Navy your chances of getting a good paying job with a nice title are way above average. Being a former naval officer, or any military officer opens doors everywhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
Yes, the Navy is a free ride, BUT (1) you need to be interviewed and nominated to go to the academy (Annapolis), and (2) you will need to serve 4 years as an officer in the Navy.

The other option is NROTC with the same obligations, but you go to a college or university that has a NROTC chapter which most schools do.

The best part is after your 4 year obligation should you choose to leave the Navy your chances of getting a good paying job with a nice title are way above average. Being a former naval officer, or any military officer opens doors everywhere.

Patriot League does offer scholarships. You need to be direct with the coach and if they are serious they will offer your player with the % of a full scholarship that they can give. Patriot League teams are not fully funded so it is not close to the 12.6 scholarships of the fully funded D1 programs.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
5 year commitment post graduation from Academy. NROTC is very very difficult to get into these days. Top 10% of your graduating class. Also, the Navy Officer programs have limited acceptance to certain majors, notably in engineering. If you are a History, English, Business grad, chances are slim.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holy Cross offered my son a roster spot, no money. How can they build a power program, investing $100mm++ on facilities and still only have three scholarships total? Didn't really have the best experience in the recruiting process. I like straight forward answers to my questions, liked to keep things vague. No thanks. Sharing my experience.

Start making the rounds. Lots of schools don't use their full complement of scholarships because nobody cares about the sport except us parents

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Start making the rounds. Lots of schools don't use their full complement of scholarships because nobody cares about the sport except us parents

Stop Name Brand shopping. There are schools out there that have far better lacrosse teams than HC that will give big money to talented, smart kids. North of 50% is possible. Do your homework, you'd be surprised at how good some schools are with getting grads jobs. Look at that kind of info instead of some silly magazines fictitious made up ranking.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Name the schools that will give big money that compete academically with any team in the Patriot league. I'm curious....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Name the schools that will give big money that compete academically with any team in the Patriot league. I'm curious....

Not a comprehensive list but UVA, UNC, Duke,Notre Dame.Alot more just too many to list.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not a comprehensive list but UVA, UNC, Duke,Notre Dame.Alot more just too many to list.
When you look at the rosters of UVA, Duke, Hopkins, ND, et al. you can count the number of public school kids on one hand for each school. So its either Prep or Private School, or one needs to do the cost & time of a PG year I guess. The other issue with 'big money' is it's coming on the academic side, with 45 man rosters and only 12 scholarships per year, that's not a lot of athletic money to go around. Plus for many of these schools the 'athletic scholarship' is on a year to year basis. In general, Big Ten schools give out 4 year athletic scholarships many in the ACC do not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Name the schools that will give big money that compete academically with any team in the Patriot league. I'm curious....

When you look at the rosters of UVA, Duke, Hopkins, ND, et al. you can count the number of public school kids on one hand for each school. So its either Prep or Private School, or one needs to do the cost & time of a PG year I guess. The other issue with 'big money' is it's coming on the academic side, with 45 man rosters and only 12 scholarships per year, that's not a lot of athletic money to go around. Plus for many of these schools the 'athletic scholarship' is on a year to year basis. In general, Big Ten schools give out 4 year athletic scholarships many in the ACC do not.

I guess your talking to the wrong people in the ACC. Money us there for the top kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I always find it interesting that when a meaningful/useful discussion actually happens on these boards (rare) it always gets sidetracked by somebody with a smart [lacrosse] response like - "I guess your talking to the wrong people in the ACC. Money us there for the top kids"

So - Mr. in the know - please share with the masses who we should be talking to other than the head coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Reading comprehension? It's not all about "academic ranking". How successful is the D1 school in placing grads in their field of study? You'd be surprised. Good Luck to your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You dodged the question - what schools give BIG MONEY that are academically on par with Patriot League schools? Any school that is "ranked" high has a robust alumni network and placement program. It's a given. Non issue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The other issue with 'big money' is it's coming on the academic side, with 45 man rosters and only 12 scholarships per year, that's not a lot of athletic money to go around.

If I recall correctly the maximum number of athletic scholarships for D1 lacrosse is 12.6 scholarships PER TEAM. Not per year. In other words there is just 3.15 rides per year if the program splits it among the four classes equally.

My advice, don't get into lacrosse for the money. That only works out for a very precious few.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The other issue with 'big money' is it's coming on the academic side, with 45 man rosters and only 12 scholarships per year, that's not a lot of athletic money to go around.

If I recall correctly the maximum number of athletic scholarships for D1 lacrosse is 12.6 scholarships PER TEAM. Not per year. In other words there is just 3.15 rides per year if the program splits it among the four classes equally.

My advice, don't get into lacrosse for the money. That only works out for a very precious few.
You are absolutely correct. Which is why most schools, not all, renew/give athletic scholarships on a year to year basis. (The academic money is usually a 4 year promise) Again, the Big Ten seem to give out 4 year athletic scholarships more so than others, but then they are 'stuck' with their early recruiting mistakes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Notre Dame and Stanford are ranked high academically. (higher than any Patriot League school) and give big money.. FACT..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are absolutely correct. Which is why most schools, not all, renew/give athletic scholarships on a year to year basis. (The academic money is usually a 4 year promise) Again, the Big Ten seem to give out 4 year athletic scholarships more so than others, but then they are 'stuck' with their early recruiting mistakes.

Bingo, IE, there is NO school giving out big money for lacrosse - they have no say in the matter since the NCAA sets that low mark.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You dodged the question - what schools give BIG MONEY that are academically on par with Patriot League schools? Any school that is "ranked" high has a robust alumni network and placement program. It's a given. Non issue.

Seems like you already "have" all the answers. You're a brand name guy. Good luck to your son and the $140K in debt he'll come out of your precious Patriot school with. Between that and his English degree, I'm sure it will go well. But you knew that already.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bingo, IE, there is NO school giving out big money for lacrosse - they have no say in the matter since the NCAA sets that low mark.
in the eyes of the NCAA; lacrosse, baseball et al. are equivalency sports, and only Football & Basketball are so called head count (of course they bring in the $$ to the NCAA) sports. I've seen this with baseball; if you don't continue to show potential, or there's a HS recruit better than you at your position, coaches (who are paid to win) will not renew the athletic scholarship part. So where I give the Patriot dad a little leeway is, these are all great schools if after Freshman year the lacrosse isn't panning out and yet you still have decent academic scholarship money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Had a question and wasnt sure which thread to post. Was thinking about getting a few private lessons for my son. Been referred to a former d1 and mll player. Was curious to hear what is the going rate? Is it 80 or more like 60? Just curious what people have heard. No garbage remarks back please just some helpful insight. Thx for any advice.

My son gets 50 as an elite HS senior. I've heard some of the college guys getting 80

One thing not mentioned is that the hourly rate is just for face-to-face time. The coach should be emailing notes and thoughts to the parents which would take more time. Plus travel time in the car. If it is truly 1 on 1 training for an hour, it probably took a true 2 hours for the person conducting the training. If the person is coming to your house in your back-yard you can see the value in convenience.

FWIW in Rochester, NY I pay $50 a session with Joe Walters boot camp for my son in his indoor training facility with four other players. The money is worth it because of how excited it has made my son to want to go out and practice on his own. If this sport was football, imagine how much it would cost for a 5 man boot-camp with Odell Beckham? way more than $50 an hour.

Let's look at it from the other side. Yes, Joe makes great money in his boot camps, but kind of sad that he has to do the camps to make real money. So if I now know that only the top performers make top money, and they have to do training to supplement, then why am I trying to take away my son's childhood to chase a dream where the only pay-off is a partial scholarship, and 27k a year as a pro?

Sorry, getting off topic... but I think the one-on-one coaching is most valuable if your son/daughter has a vested interested in making the coach proud/happy with them. Basically, I am paying not only for the training, but also for the intrinsic motivation it is providing. If you aren't getting motivation from the coaching then the value is much lower.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about you answer the question. It's because you don't know the answer and are blowing smoke.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
find a wall. spend an hour every day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
spirit in the stick

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
spirit in the stick

All about a lacrosse legend from Uniondale

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Forbes ranks Fairfield and Lafayette over Binghamton for an overall experience. I like all the schools Fairfield is close enough that is far enough, Binghamton is a distance.

Any positive feedback on any

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Seems like you already "have" all the answers. You're a brand name guy. Good luck to your son and the $140K in debt he'll come out of your precious Patriot school with. Between that and his English degree, I'm sure it will go well. But you knew that already.

I'm not the person that you are replying to, and he does sound arrogant. However, you are completely ignorant if you think that having an English degree from a top school will make someone's life "not go well".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's see how many selections/commitments get solidified on LI this weekend at Farmingdale. Every coach will be there (or represented) from the entire civilized lax world.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about you answer the question. It's because you don't know the answer and are blowing smoke.

Not sure on the boys side but on the girls side there are plenty of schools as good or better that are willing to give descent money ( 50 percent or more of cost of attendance) and it's guaranteed for 4 years

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So... this post is in direct contrast to those who said its a piece of 12.6 spread among the entire squad (or most of it). it also is in contrast to the post which said that the scholarship is renewable each year at coach's discretion.
is it an NCAA rule or can each school do its own thing?....yea didn't think so...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most schools aren't fully funded with all the available scholarships. Then most rosters are 30 on the girls and 40+ on the boys. Money doesn't go that far. Do well in the classroom and you will be SET!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's see how many selections/commitments get solidified on LI this weekend at Farmingdale. Every coach will be there (or represented) from the entire civilized lax world.

Which tourney at Farmingdale?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure on the boys side but on the girls side there are plenty of schools as good or better that are willing to give descent money ( 50 percent or more of cost of attendance) and it's guaranteed for 4 years

You're referring to need-based and/or academic money here, correct?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For boys all the top programs are in philly this weekend

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's with the D 3 kids doing photo ops etc. on the same day that the D1 players sign letters of intent?
Totally different . D3 commits are really simply announcing that they submitted an application. There is no letter of intent there.
Mommies get to wear a corsage and play a silly game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's with the D 3 kids doing photo ops etc. on the same day that the D1 players sign letters of intent?
Totally different . D3 commits are really simply announcing that they submitted an application. There is no letter of intent there.
Mommies get to wear a corsage and play a silly game.

Pretty much. But so what?

Ivy players don't sign an NLI either, but there's nothing wrong with advertising the fact that a player's attending a certain school (though it should really wait until after the admission process is over).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NLI is signed for money deals only. The rest are pix ops and a celebration of years of driving all over the place for tourneys and showcases. Enjoy it. Don't knock it. It's great, and well deserved and earned.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For boys all the top programs are in philly this weekend

Sorry Looney dad, there not

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are on a NLF team and uncommitted, how much pressure are you under to attend their uncommitted showcase tomorrow?

Like Reply Quote
Page 28 of 58 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard