by Paul Ohanian

For a city that loves lacrosse, seeing kids with lacrosse sticks at its public schools represents an exception, not the norm in Baltimore. In most city schools, there is no curriculum that introduces the game.

That's why nearly 80 elementary and middle school physical education teachers were excited to take part in a lacrosse workshop conducted by US Lacrosse in late August. The clinic trained the teachers and provided them with a lacrosse curriculum for their classes, and US Lacrosse provided each pre-secondary school with 30 soft sticks and balls for use in classes.

"We've got to introduce the game to these kids at an early age so that once they get to high school, they know what it is," said Terry Hall, an educator in the city for nearly 40 years. "We've got to expose them to lacrosse."

Led by experienced trainers, the US Lacrosse PE Workshops are designed for adult educators with little to no prior lacrosse experience.

George Mason women's lacrosse coach and former Virginia captain Jessy Morgan helped to facilitate the workshop. A native of west Baltimore who now serves on the US Lacrosse Board of Directors, Morgan told the teachers that lacrosse could open new doors for many of the city's students.

"I was a recipient of opportunities provided by lacrosse, and I want to give our youth those same opportunities," Morgan said. "This won't fail. I consider this to be one of the best days of my career."

Save the Date: November

Seattle lacrosse pioneer Kris Snider, a landscape architect, designed the 9/11 Memorial Garden at US Lacrosse headquarters in Sparks, Md. On this Veterans Day, watch as Snider explains the inspiration behind the design at youtube.com/uslacrosse.

A US Lacrosse Coaching Education Program Level 1 clinic hits Pittsford Mendon (N.Y.) High School. For the full list of clinics throughout the country, visit uslacrosse.org/cep.

Cyber Monday means great deals for you from US Lacrosse and our partners. Be on the lookout for an email with those offers from uslacrosse@uslacrosse.org and visit shop.uslacrosse.org.