BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 97 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 96 97
Re: Westchester NY Youth Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I THINK SCHREIBER GETS IT DONE - just look at the amount of express north kids on the recruiting lists

How many? Please tell us college and position

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
look at recruitingrundown, pretty self explanatory by year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
in all fairness relative to population , etc, primetime and express north have done extremely well in terms of recruiting

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I THINK SCHREIBER GETS IT DONE - just look at the amount of express north kids on the recruiting lists

2018 - Hopkins, Georgetown, Villanova, Fairfield, St. John's, Bryant (2), Providence, Brown, Colgate, Holy Cross, Boston University

2019 - Michigan (2), Lafayette, Princeton, Air Force, Richmond, High Point

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2018 - Hopkins, Georgetown, Villanova, Fairfield, St. John's, Bryant (2), Providence, Brown, Colgate, Holy Cross, Boston University

Pretty darn impressive. I wonder how many of these kids would have had a difficult time gaining entrance to the school without lacrosse. I'm sure the parents of these kids are very happy.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All great players. Now let's see if the other 10 on the team get committed.
I think that's what people are looking for.
PT usually gets the full team committed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've heard some HS coaches resent the fact that their kids are getting committed via club teams. Has anyone heard of backlash against these kids? My son is a 2021, uncommitted but hoping.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I DONT WANT TO BE MEAN - BUT with kids getting recruited earlier and earlier, not so sure hs even matters much as far as recruiting is concerned

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I DONT WANT TO BE MEAN - BUT with kids getting recruited earlier and earlier, not so sure hs even matters much as far as recruiting is concerned

We're all human, coaches have favorites and those they just don't like (for whatever reason). Varsity coaches do matter when it comes to allocating playing time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ahh the Westchester thread....home to more shills per page than any other on BOTC.

Get it together folks. The line between HS coaches and club teams is VERY thin.

You would all be well served to review the LI threads. At least there everyone knows who runs the game.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if your getting recruited in 9th grade - most colleges are calling your club director

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not every commit is that young - there is still a lot of recruiting of HS players, so, yeah, HS coaches would conceivably be in the mix there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ahh the Westchester thread....home to more shills per page than any other on BOTC.

You would all be well served to review the LI threads. At least there everyone knows who runs the game.

Ahhh yes, the famous Long Island Lacrosse parent. More in tune, and living through their lax son or daughter than the rest of the country. I guess if I had nothing else to do I could review all the gold star LI threads.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ahhh yes, the famous Long Island Lacrosse parent. More in tune, and living through their lax son or daughter than the rest of the country. I guess if I had nothing else to do I could review all the gold star LI threads.

The amount of time spent by LI parents on BOTC forum is sad. Nothing posted matters or makes a difference. HS coaches removed for various reasons, who's not getting playing time because of a coaches bias, what lax Mom is sleeping with which lax Dad..... The Jersey Shore has nothing on LI Lax Life.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our HS coach actually made generalized, derogatory comments about the boys playing travel. He has actually held it against these boys, tending to play boys with more size less skill and boys that have never played versus the boys that play travel. Nose meet face.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our HS coach actually made generalized, derogatory comments about the boys playing travel. He has actually held it against these boys, tending to play boys with more size less skill and boys that have never played versus the boys that play travel. Nose meet face.

So long as there is no conflict, what exactly does a HS coach see about travel lax as being a problem??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
News flash....HS coaches funnel their best players to their (the coach's) club teams. Why?

Short term - cash. More players more money.

Mid term - serving as a conduit in the recruiting process

long term - advertising recruiting commitments in order to further the club brand and attract more players (aka...Selling the hype).

repeat again, and again, and again.

Mike, Jack, and Keith are the masters of the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This may be true in Long Island, but how many Lax Clubs in Westchester are owned by HS head coaches. I don't think there are many. I can name just two: Superstar and Westchester Warriors. Are there others?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2-way, chargers, ballers, eclipse, and I'm pretty sure express is a 'franchise' operator meaning the operators have significant upside in the financial performance of the unit.

Coffee time

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This may be true in Long Island, but how many Lax Clubs in Westchester are owned by HS head coaches. I don't think there are many. I can name just two: Superstar and Westchester Warriors. Are there others?
One could say Prime Time, which is run by a John Jay assistant coach, but other than a few token John Jay kids he carries, (who are generally the weakest on his teams) he's become all about the repeat/prep school player who are more apt to be recruited.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One could say Prime Time, which is run by a John Jay assistant coach, but other than a few token John Jay kids he carries, (who are generally the weakest on his teams) he's become all about the repeat/prep school player who are more apt to be recruited.

Sounds like a disgruntled John Jay parent whose kid was cut from Primetime..........

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That seems to be the new business model at PT, and please do not forget these are businesses. How do you attract kids to your program? Market the number of committed players you have on your rosters. Who is most likely to be committed and early? The holdbacks and they were obviously added to rosters this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds like a disgruntled John Jay parent whose kid was cut from Primetime..........
Sorry, Ct. based, maybe you should have re-read the statement before posting. Disgruntled, yes. But more about the hold-back/repeat phenomena that IMO is affecting lacrosse in a negative way. In response to the original post, Yes PT owned by a coach of John Jay, but because of his business model to fill rosters with players more likely to get recruited, (nothing wrong with that) any conflict of interest with the John Jay program would be less than similar programs on Long Island.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry, Ct. based, maybe you should have re-read the statement before posting. Disgruntled, yes. But more about the hold-back/repeat phenomena that IMO is affecting lacrosse in a negative way. In response to the original post, Yes PT owned by a coach of John Jay, but because of his business model to fill rosters with players more likely to get recruited, (nothing wrong with that) any conflict of interest with the John Jay program would be less than similar programs on Long Island.

Holdbacks are taking showcase spots from the deserving. So they couldn't cut it at their appropriate age (or just one year holdback), so they drop down to play younger kids. Lame. Cheating and taking showcase spots from kids who are age appropriate. Parents should be ashamed and please stop creating new reasons why it was necessary. "His Aunt's illness caused a bought of grief which affected his ability to perform and succeed in the classroom....YADA YADA YADA.." Translation: He is not the superstar on the field that we want him to be and we know he should be, so we will have him play against younger kids to provide that false sense of superiority..."

Lame. Please feel free to launch a holdback supporting retort and your unique stories of necessity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I totally agree! Simple solution, make club teams/ tourneys age based...seems to work well in youth soccer. It eliminates parents/coaches ability to "stack" teams. The WSYL final game was a disgrace last July.

what percentage of 8th graders are getting recruited? 1%? Less? Those few boys are incredible athletes and incredibly talented and will end up at top D1 lax schools no matter what! The other 90 something percent feel the huge pressure to " get recruited", their parents spend $$$$ on ridiculous showcases.

Club coaches now look for the reclassifed kids and hold backs and now double hold backs....the poor age appropriate kid that does well in school but still hasn't hit puberty is screwed!

Like Reply Quote
Fall Tourneys?
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any area club teams play in any fall tourneys yet? What ones are teams attending?

Bulldog Bash always attracts a handful.
The Pumpkin SUNY Purchase this weekend didn't draw name clubs.

Would it be asking too much to have PT-Preds-Eclipse-2Way-ExpressNorth-Ballers do a local jam?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Fall Tourneys?
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
***** went down to LI a week back to do an informal 4-team mini-'tournament' - $10 a kid for refs, 3 games for each team, and all was very even competition. That's what more teams should do a few weekends, especially in the fall!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that is a great idea except the tourney directors (club owners) wont make nearly as much as they do now.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Would it be possible to change the name of this thread back to Westchester Youth Lacrosse or something with Westchester in it? Tks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here-here to that.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Something With Westchester In It
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I totally agree! Simple solution, make club teams/ tourneys age based...seems to work well in youth soccer. It eliminates parents/coaches ability to "stack" teams. The WSYL final game was a disgrace last July.

what percentage of 8th graders are getting recruited? 1%? Less? Those few boys are incredible athletes and incredibly talented and will end up at top D1 lax schools no matter what! The other 90 something percent feel the huge pressure to " get recruited", their parents spend $$$$ on ridiculous showcases.

Club coaches now look for the reclassifed kids and hold backs and now double hold backs....the poor age appropriate kid that does well in school but still hasn't hit puberty is screwed!

This is all too true and quite lamentable.

The trouble is that college coaches want the most well developed players they can get. And because there is no upside after college, everyone positions for it.

Some parents and kids would sell their souls in order to be able to say they are a D1 commit.

The clubs have little interest in anything but getting kids committed because that is what drives the hype and therefore the money. And make no mistake about it, the money is the key. They are businesses and seek to maximize profits.

It is kinda sad and personally I'd be embarrassed if my son had to 'play down' to compete, as would my son. We generally laugh at the repeaters.

Some are probably poised to shoot arrows at me and say that my son is probably not good enough to compete. Well that is half true. He is a very solid player who is a bit undersized but doing very well academically at a top high school. His path to college includes good grades, ACT's, and SAT's and perhaps using lacrosse as a hook. Very little chance he is top ten D1 material. I'm OK with that and so is he. He loves the sport and keeps it in perspective.

The frustrating part is that "on age" he is really quite good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is all too true and quite lamentable.

The trouble is that college coaches want the most well developed players they can get. And because there is no upside after college, everyone positions for it.

Some parents and kids would sell their souls in order to be able to say they are a D1 commit.

The clubs have little interest in anything but getting kids committed because that is what drives the hype and therefore the money. And make no mistake about it, the money is the key. They are businesses and seek to maximize profits.

It is kinda sad and personally I'd be embarrassed if my son had to 'play down' to compete, as would my son. We generally laugh at the repeaters.

Some are probably poised to shoot arrows at me and say that my son is probably not good enough to compete. Well that is half true. He is a very solid player who is a bit undersized but doing very well academically at a top high school. His path to college includes good grades, ACT's, and SAT's and perhaps using lacrosse as a hook. Very little chance he is top ten D1 material. I'm OK with that and so is he. He loves the sport and keeps it in perspective.

The frustrating part is that "on age" he is really quite good.
When I read this , I thought I wrote it myself. It is spot on for my son also, who after 5 years on a so-called A team lost his position to a kid almost 2 years older. Went to a B/C team's try-outs where most couldn't even do a line drill. Luckily his HS has intra-mural lax in Fall , Box in Winter, and 3 teams in the Spring, so he decided to skip playing summer lacrosse this year, which of course he may regret next June.

Like Reply Quote
Re:Westchester Youth Lacrosse or something with Westchester in it
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by stich2681
Would it be possible to change the name of this thread back to Westchester Youth Lacrosse or something with Westchester in it? Tks

here you go

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by stich2681
Unlike Long Island, not sure there is any pure Westchester Youth lacrosse. The AA & A Summer Travel teams have a large contingent of Ct. players on them, and most of the better spring town teams play in CONNY, or the Hudson Valley League.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, the header joke was funny the first time but it is getting stale. Can we please label this thread "Westchester Lacrosse". Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
here here!

Like Reply Quote
Westchester Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
here here!

Have at it anyone couldve done it though

Like Reply Quote
Re: Westchester Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holdbacks deprive those kids of appropriate age of spots at the higher levels.

Exactly the opposite of growing the game, holdbacks are effectively shrinking the pool of players.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Westchester Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holdbacks deprive those kids of appropriate age of spots at the higher levels.

Exactly the opposite of growing the game, holdbacks are effectively shrinking the pool of players.

While this may true nothing is going happen till the college coaches get on board. You don't know how many times a college coach encouraged a player to repeat or declare a PG year. Happens all the time.

If the people who will end up being their coaches are telling them to do it, what are they supposed to do?

Like Reply Quote
Page 25 of 97 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 96 97
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard