10/28/10 01:19 PM
10/28/10 01:19 PM
B
BoardLord Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
BoardLord  Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
B

On the soccer front, Long Island is a fairly organized structure with the Long Island Junior Soccer League at the center of club/team/player activies and a range of higher leagues that are available through LOL's parent structure. Some would complain that the LOL is too restrictive in regulating teams and players resulting in a less-than-friendly player environment.

The Long Island Lacrosse scene however is less organized at the league level yielding more scheduling power to the individual clubs and thereby increasing their control over the players at a club level. Could Long Island benefit from an organized lacrosse league that covers both Nassau and Suffolk?

Does the lack of a central league in lacrosse lead to more duplication of effort which in turns represents higher costs to the players and their families?

What are your thoughts on the Long Island LAX league scene? BOTC welcomes your views.

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: BoardLord] #44
11/02/10 09:20 PM
11/02/10 09:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The Long Island Lacrosse League runs a summer league between early July and end August for both boys and girls age groups (third grade to junior varsity). Generally the games are two 25 minute periods. Four age groups - 3rd/4th grade, 5th/6th grade, 7th/8th grade, and JV. There has to be a way to bring a Fall league to Long Island to avoid the tournament costs.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #45
11/03/10 07:23 AM
11/03/10 07:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wasn't aware of a summer league for lacrosse. My daughter playes in the spring and I thought that ended after 6th grade.. I'd much prefer a summer league as opposed to one of the "elite" clubs. Where can I get more info.?

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #47
11/03/10 08:13 AM
11/03/10 08:13 AM
K
krys10 Offline
Back of THE CAGE
krys10  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
K

My daughter did this for one summer and it was great. You have to have a team coach as well as players who are willing to do make this commitment. In all the years my daughter played with the town PAL team, only 1 coach told us about this and wanted to do it. I think they also run an indoor winter league. Your daughter can join as an independent player if her town team doesn't play. I think you might also be able to do this with the summer league. I think this site is great, because I really had to ask around to find this information out.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: BoardLord] #48
11/03/10 09:15 AM
11/03/10 09:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I really don't see the need to have a Long Island Lacrosse league with PAL doing what I feel is a pretty good job for spring Lacrosse. PAL includes both Nassau and Sufoul counties and I have found the refing to be good overall.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #51
11/03/10 03:24 PM
11/03/10 03:24 PM
B
BoardLord Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
BoardLord  Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
B

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I wasn't aware of a summer league for lacrosse. My daughter playes in the spring and I thought that ended after 6th grade.. I'd much prefer a summer league as opposed to one of the "elite" clubs. Where can I get more info.?
BOTC Industries research has led us to the Long Island Lacrosse League web site. There you will find details about boys/girls leagues, particularly during the summer months, for a variety of age groups. BOTC Industries also noted a boys league in the Fall season although the number of age groups is smaller.

Long Island Lacrosse League Website

Asking questions is key and there is a Q&A on the website that seems to cover many of the basics.

Lacrosse League Questions and Answers

Part of the mission of BOTC is to bring some light to the somewhat cloudy and club based lacrosse market for the benefit of our readers. We are hoping that some of the Long Island organizations reach out to us here on BOTC to share information with the Long Island LAX community.

To answer the question "Where do I go to get more information?", the answer is simple : come to Back of the Cage and we will establish this site as the portal for all answers related to lacrosse!

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: BoardLord] #61
11/05/10 10:45 AM
11/05/10 10:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do the lax clubs that are mentioned on this board actually play each other here on LI? Do the Yellow Jackets ever play a league or scrimmage game against the Express for example?

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #67
11/06/10 08:44 PM
11/06/10 08:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The clubs that are mentioned in this forum and many others play each other in Tournaments. These teams are basically tournament teams whose players come together from other town and school teams to play in summer tournaments

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: BoardLord] #1320
05/25/11 05:28 AM
05/25/11 05:28 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The youth of Long Island would benefit if there was a single organization administering all the leagues and tournaments. PAL tries to do this in the Spring but there are a multitude of other leagues, tournaments and travel clubs all vying for lacrosse dollars being spent in what is now a year round sport.

With all these separate entities managing the experience for the kids we see rules change, competition change and the quality of officiating can vary greatly.

Let them create 3 divisions for all age groups –developmental (1-2 years experience), competitive((3+ years) and Elite (3+ years) and promote it that way. Kids want to play so find a way to match kids of similar talent against one another. Make all kids get US Lacrosse # when they begin the sport, require all towns/travel teams register with US Lacrosse. Their numbers are required on all subsequent registrations for any youth lacrosse tournament, camp, league etc. That would give the organizers the ability to ensure kids of similar talent are matched.

You’d see competitive lacrosse on all levels. You would no longer see “travel team “X” playing in a novice/developmental town league tournament masquerading as a team from Town Y throttling kids with their matching helmets and sticks so they can feel success because when this very same travel team enters tournaments with Elite competition, the outcome is usually different.

People would understand what to expect when registering, things could be easily promoted and most importantly, a single entity could manage and promote all of these opportunities to families. The kids benefit, the organizers benefit, the facility owners and operators benefit. Just something to consider.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #2489
07/24/11 05:01 PM
07/24/11 05:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Isn't it about time that a true all-Long Island Lacrosse League get established rather than these small town leagues that cannot handle top level elite clubs? Seriously, the best group that has come forward to establish this type of league is Back of the Cage! No team involvement, but a good organization to build on ... what do you think CageSage? Interested in having BOTC run a cross-Long Island league?

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #2512
07/25/11 10:29 AM
07/25/11 10:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The youth of Long Island would benefit if there was a single organization administering all the leagues and tournaments. PAL tries to do this in the Spring but there are a multitude of other leagues, tournaments and travel clubs all vying for lacrosse dollars being spent in what is now a year round sport.

With all these separate entities managing the experience for the kids we see rules change, competition change and the quality of officiating can vary greatly.

Let them create 3 divisions for all age groups –developmental (1-2 years experience), competitive((3+ years) and Elite (3+ years) and promote it that way. Kids want to play so find a way to match kids of similar talent against one another. Make all kids get US Lacrosse # when they begin the sport, require all towns/travel teams register with US Lacrosse. Their numbers are required on all subsequent registrations for any youth lacrosse tournament, camp, league etc. That would give the organizers the ability to ensure kids of similar talent are matched.

You’d see competitive lacrosse on all levels. You would no longer see “travel team “X” playing in a novice/developmental town league tournament masquerading as a team from Town Y throttling kids with their matching helmets and sticks so they can feel success because when this very same travel team enters tournaments with Elite competition, the outcome is usually different.

People would understand what to expect when registering, things could be easily promoted and most importantly, a single entity could manage and promote all of these opportunities to families. The kids benefit, the organizers benefit, the facility owners and operators benefit. Just something to consider.

Excellent post. Well thought out concept. Let's do it. It would be great. Let parents and children who are all about scholarships play on the YJ's and offer this opportunity to the masses.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #72503
08/04/14 09:35 AM
08/04/14 09:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

is there a fall team for juniors ?

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #72521
08/04/14 10:36 AM
08/04/14 10:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Excellent post. Well thought out concept. Let's do it. It would be great. Let parents and children who are all about scholarships play on the YJ's and offer this opportunity to the masses.

That is a great idea. It should be run as similar to [lacrosse] as possible, with divisions based on skill level, and their own picture ID cards, with DOB, renewed each year, with birth certificates required, to get the card (vs. US Lax card, which you can get any age you want, no picture ID, you can use someone else's, etc). The ref can check the kids in before each game, like soccer. Only takes a few mins, including any rules clarifications, before each game.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: Anonymous] #72541
08/04/14 11:40 AM
08/04/14 11:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If we are talking about a summer club league, it sounds like a great idea. In my experience, the PAL spring league does a pretty good job of providing opportunities for town teams. However, it would be a huge bonus to have a summer weeknight league (with playoffs) for the club teams. Maybe then we could stop driving so far away to play teams from our own backyards!

That is a great idea. It should be run as similar to [lacrosse] as possible, with divisions based on skill level, and their own picture ID cards, with DOB, renewed each year, with birth certificates required, to get the card (vs. US Lax card, which you can get any age you want, no picture ID, you can use someone else's, etc). The ref can check the kids in before each game, like soccer. Only takes a few mins, including any rules clarifications, before each game.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Lacrosse League : Overdue or Just Right? [Re: BoardLord] #72562
08/04/14 01:22 PM
08/04/14 01:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

U based, keep an up to date website, have standings and a playoff, and answer emails. Do all that for a reasonable cost and you'll be all set. I would rather play less tournaments and play 2 or 3 games a week in a league. Too many tournaments. I would prefer the league and play in select tournaments. Get enough teams and you may attract a corporate sponsor. In the end, if it is well organized the league will be successful.

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification