BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 50 51
Re: Boys 2020- 9th Grade Fall 2016/Summer 2017
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
All right people enough is enough with the attacks on this young man. I personally know him and his family. He is a great kid and a great player. For those who have no clue he is an exceptional student at an exceptional school. He is in the top 2% of academics in the country. He is also a versatile lacrosse player that is truly gifted. Why must people hate or put down a young man for achieving something so amazing. This is a lacrosse board and this is the lacrosse community making these disparaging comments. If you know the family they did not make this decision without thoroughly vetting the situation. Madalon saw ano opportunity to sign a top players with a long familial history of athletic success. Be 100% sure Princetons admissions looked at his academic workload and the advanced classes he is taking before they agreed to the commitment. Can't we just be happy for a great player and his family.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
He is listed as a 2019 multiple times on my internets.

Check your facts. This young man has always been a 2020.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does someone get in the top 2% of academics? Please shut up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game
All right people enough is enough with the attacks on this young man. I personally know him and his family. He is a great kid and a great player. For those who have no clue he is an exceptionally onal student at an exceptional school. He is in the top 2% of academics in the country. He is also a versatile lacrosse player that is truly gifted. Why must people hate or put down a young man for achieving something so amazing. This is a lacrosse board and this is the lacrosse community making these disparaging comments. If you know the family they did not make this decision without thoroughly vetting the situation. Madalon saw ano opportunity to sign a top players with a long familial history of athletic success. Be 100% sure Princetons admissions looked at his academic workload and the advanced classes he is taking before they agreed to the commitment. Can't we just be happy for a great player and his family.

Agreed he is a 2020, and excellent academically as well as athletically. The criticism is not of the player, just the hypocrisy of a school ranked #1 by multiple sources . They verbally Comimit a young boty the same day they are cited condemning the practice. This is a school that has an obligation in my opinion to be a leader in reform, they however have just become another follower. Now if my kid was offered, of course I'd be thrilled, but that doesn't make it right.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
How does someone get in the top 2% of academics? Please shut up.

It's called being smart.Some people early on in their academic careers are able to separate themselves from the pack and this young man has done so. Ohh and by the way as a moderator I see that you are the main person stirring the pot so please why don't you go away.

Last edited by America's Game; .
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's a ridiculous claim to make that any child that has not even finished 1 semester of high school is in the top two percent of academics. Explain to me how that is measured. Tell me how - a standardized placement test? If that's the case we can do away with the SATs, ACTs, etc. - let's go straight to Princeton.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's a ridiculous claim to make that any child that has not even finished 1 semester of high school is in the top two percent of academics. Explain to me how that is measured. Tell me how - a standardized placement test? If that's the case we can do away with the SATs, ACTs, etc. - let's go straight to Princeton.

I was wondering the same thing ? Seems like a rather bold claim with no facts to back it up

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PRINCETON, N.J. -- The Ivy League, continuing its commitment to a student-centered model of Division I athletics, has proposed NCAA legislation to allow prospective student-athletes more time in the recruiting process to make the important decision of where to attend college.

“The pressure on prospective student-athletes to commit to a specific college earlier and earlier is a national issue,” said Executive Director Robin Harris. “It causes stress for prospects and their families, as they are often asked to make a life-altering decision as high school freshmen or sophomores, and sometimes even before they have started high school.

“Our goals are to elevate the national conversation about the negative effects of early recruiting, and to challenge the NCAA membership to change the culture of recruiting that forces prospective student-athletes to verbally commit before they are academically, athletically, or emotionally ready to make their college choice.”

Early recruiting of prospects occurs despite existing NCAA rules that prohibit coaches from initiating contact until the junior year of high school. Through various workarounds, including non-scholastic coaches and social media, access to prospective student-athletes has accelerated the recruiting timeline.

This past May, the Ivy League Directors of Athletics charged the League office with reviewing early recruiting practices and proposing NCAA legislation to address the problems.

The Ivy League proposals focus on multiple aspects of the recruiting process, such as the timeline for verbal commitments, contact during camps, and expanding limits on telephone calls and unofficial visits.

Specifically, coaches would not be allowed to make verbal offers of financial aid or support in the admission process prior to the start of the prospective student-athlete’s junior year. Additionally, other means of communication, such as initiating or receiving telephone calls, planning unofficial visits and having recruiting conversations at camps and clinics would be prohibited prior to the start of the junior year.

The Ivy League is not alone in trying to remedy early recruiting. Several national coaches groups have identified early recruiting as a significant problem. Other proposals addressing the recruiting timeline have been introduced into the NCAA legislative cycle, including proposals specific to field hockey, women’s gymnastics, and men’s and women’s lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you kidding. If you have ever been around or have a child that is gifted teachers know. There are programs like STEM that my 11th grader was fast tracked for in 5th grade. Also there are programs and school for kids of exceptional intelligence. These kids are among us and actually are fully capable of blending in without others know. Unlike many parents of kids who are athletes these parents arent decked out in gear screaming that their child is off the charts smart.

Here is some info about LISG where my kid went when at a young age he was well beyond his peers when it came to schooling.

The Long Island School for the Gifted (LISG), located in South Huntington, New [lacrosse], is a unique and exciting school for grades Pre-K - 9. We are a community dedicated to providing an outstanding education for academically gifted children where they are nurtured and treasured.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

As I stated earlier I know the family very well. This young man is on that level.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sounds like the dad talking here..otherwise who would care to weigh in on how well they know someone and what a great student they are..cmon', come clean Dad..

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
sounds like the dad talking here..otherwise who would care to weigh in on how well they know someone and what a great student they are..cmon', come clean Dad..

Guy's I am the moderator and no I am not the young man's parent. As for the previous post about LISG it's not a parent either. Yet again let it rest. Kid is a great kid, from a great family.

B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Grasping at straws? Why does it bother you so damn much?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Guy's I am the moderator and no I am not the young man's parent. As for the previous post about LISG it's not a parent either. Yet again let it rest. Kid is a great kid, from a great family.
How on earth do you know its not a parent who wrote about the LISG comment?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations, Holdback or no holdback, the parents did right by the boy. He has a commitment with Princeton. He has the opportunity of a lifetime ahead of him with or without lacrosse. How could any parent criticize this on any level?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"2020 Crush LSM/FOGO to Princeton"

Man the resentment arising from this comment is seething in here smile. Unreal

Congrats to this kid and his family

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Deserving young man receives great opportunity...forum trolls lose their minds.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yep, there exists in every area, a few parents that hate to see anyone achieve success. Its sad but its everywhere. If you noticed the kids instragrams comments, every kid from every teams across east coast congratulate kids when they commit. Then we get those parents, that just resent it. We have them on Long Island, in Philly and Baltimore. There are so many grown ups that can not stand to see good things happen to other kids.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Because I know who wrote it. As a moderator we have certain abilities to see who what and where things are coming from. Like I know how most of this stuff was started by a Maryland parent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Because I know who wrote it. As a moderator we have certain abilities to see who what and where things are coming from. Like I know how most of this stuff was started by a Maryland parent.
So you have certain abilities to stir the pot as well. Hmmmm interesting. New spin on anonymity.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

So you have certain abilities to stir the pot as well. Hmmmm interesting. New spin on anonymity.

Why would I look to hurt or attack anyone on this site as a moderator. I became involved with the site a few years back when there was a rouge moderator that allowed for kids to be attacked on an everyday basis. They are gone FYI. The anonymity of the internet or the perceived anonymity gives people a false sense of security that what they post will not come back to them. Well thats 100% incorrect. Its funny to see parents whos kids are teammates or once were teammates and friends of kids posting crap. I will always look out for the best interest of the kids as best I can.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The problem is not the kid, his parents, his qualifications, his abilities, etc. The problem is that early recruiting is out of control. The Ivy league sends out a press release saying they are against early recruiting and within day we have the earliest commit ever to Princeton. I'm sorry - there are 12th graders with 4.0+ GPAs and perfect SAT scores that may not get into Princeton - but they are going to provide a verbal commitment to a 14 year old? You can't have it both ways.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The problem is not the kid, his parents, his qualifications, his abilities, etc. The problem is that early recruiting is out of control. The Ivy league sends out a press release saying they are against early recruiting and within day we have the earliest commit ever to Princeton. I'm sorry - there are 12th graders with 4.0+ GPAs and perfect SAT scores that may not get into Princeton - but they are going to provide a verbal commitment to a 14 year old? You can't have it both ways.

Why so much heartburn about early recruiting? Does not really impact my kid if another kid commits early.

Afraid that all the good spots will be taken? If your kid's not getting noticed in his peer group now, will probably be pretty much the same (for most) in 2-3 years.

How can a 9th grader know what he wants in a college? If the kid is getting a foot in the door at Hopkins or Duke or Notre dame, or Princeton, I have a hard time seeing a downside.

I don't think anyone here would say "no thanks" if any of those schools came knocking for their 9th grader.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
You said it yourself it's a verbal. Kid has to keep up his part. There are players playing at Top Academic football programs who can barely read or write a difference your worried about a non funded Ivy League School. This is all college sports not just lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I seriously doubt there are any football players at Duke, Notre Dame and Stanford who cant read or write.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why so much heartburn about early recruiting? Does not really impact my kid if another kid commits early.

Afraid that all the good spots will be taken? If your kid's not getting noticed in his peer group now, will probably be pretty much the same (for most) in 2-3 years.

How can a 9th grader know what he wants in a college? If the kid is getting a foot in the door at Hopkins or Duke or Notre dame, or Princeton, I have a hard time seeing a downside.

I don't think anyone here would say "no thanks" if any of those schools came knocking for their 9th grader.

You answered your own question - "How can a 9th grader know what he wants in a college?" In addition to that, it pushes all of the elements of recruiting - including the associated stresses - down to younger and younger kids. And that, in turn, encourages players and parents to game that system and/or get caught up in it. Personally, I don't think a college should be able to make contact with a student athlete until they hit their junior year. There's very little good that comes of early recruiting.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I seriously doubt there are any football players at Duke, Notre Dame and Stanford who cant read or write.

I was being facetious. It was just a point. There are plenty of fully funded sports that make exceptions to the admissions processes for their athletes. This is not and will not be the case for this student athlete that everyone is hemming and hawing over.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You answered your own question - "How can a 9th grader know what he wants in a college?" In addition to that, it pushes all of the elements of recruiting - including the associated stresses - down to younger and younger kids. And that, in turn, encourages players and parents to game that system and/or get caught up in it. Personally, I don't think a college should be able to make contact with a student athlete until they hit their junior year. There's very little good that comes of early recruiting.

I was not asking that, just stating one if the common arguments against. Early recruiting to elite colleges #firstworldproblems

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I live in the first world. Early recruiting is a problem.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A problem for whom? Don't think it's a problem for the kids getting recruited, I don't hear any of them complaining.

The schools? I think those huge institutions, with tens of thousands of students and multi-billion dollar endowments will be ok if they take bets on a handful of kids each year.

So who then?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People who's kids can't get recruited early Hate early recruiting Comical

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
The only people who should worry about early recruits are the coaches of the team. People forget its the coaches job to win games and do the best they can to help the young men in their program. More than ever before coaches are under pressure to win. You dont win now its bye bye. It was very evident over this summer with the coaching carousel that was presented. Coaches take calculated risks on these young players. Will they pan out into the player that the coach hopes they will. Will they stay committed to that program. We have seen a lot of players switch commitments Junior and Senior years in high school that were early recruits. Often is it due to not meeting the grades or a few down years at the program they committed to early. It also could be because the player just doesnt like the school or coach anymore. There is no formula. Coaches have had their hand forced into early recruiting because many of the top programs did it and were successful. Issue is how many cant miss kids are they in each class that can be predicted in 9th grade. Its really a handful. Coaches hope they can catch lightning in a bottle with an early recruit. Yet please dont forget these coaches have their job on the line.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only people who should worry about early recruits are the coaches of the team. People forget its the coaches job to win games and do the best they can to help the young men in their program. More than ever before coaches are under pressure to win. You dont win now its bye bye. It was very evident over this summer with the coaching carousel that was presented. Coaches take calculated risks on these young players. Will they pan out into the player that the coach hopes they will. Will they stay committed to that program. We have seen a lot of players switch commitments Junior and Senior years in high school that were early recruits. Often is it due to not meeting the grades or a few down years at the program they committed to early. It also could be because the player just doesnt like the school or coach anymore. There is no formula. Coaches have had their hand forced into early recruiting because many of the top programs did it and were successful. Issue is how many cant miss kids are they in each class that can be predicted in 9th grade. Its really a handful. Coaches hope they can catch lightning in a bottle with an early recruit. Yet please dont forget these coaches have their job on the line.

Good point, and a perspective that many (including me) probably had not considered.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A problem for whom? Don't think it's a problem for the kids getting recruited, I don't hear any of them complaining.

The schools? I think those huge institutions, with tens of thousands of students and multi-billion dollar endowments will be ok if they take bets on a handful of kids each year.

So who then?

If you don't think it is a problem for the kids that are getting recruited, then you have spoken to the wrong parents (whose kids have been forced into this situation). The kids are too young to make this important decision, they have no idea what they are really committing to, and it puts them under an extreme amount of pressure every time they step onto the field. The kids are the only ones being hurt and there is NO reason that this needs to be happening.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So who then?

If you don't think it is a problem for the kids that are getting recruited, then you have spoken to the wrong parents (whose kids have been forced into this situation). The kids are too young to make this important decision, they have no idea what they are really committing to, and it puts them under an extreme amount of pressure every time they step onto the field. The kids are the only ones being hurt and there is NO reason that this needs to be happening.

How could anyone be "forced" into this situation - we're not talking about human trafficking. One could argue, and I will, that removing the stress of navigating the admissions process, to multiple schools, frees up a kid for more productive endeavors - kind of like FastPass® for college.

Please show me the kid who regrets going to Duke or UNC.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

So who then?

Travel sports have become a pressure cooker for kids. Its a shame but thats the nature of the beast. I think your forgetting one vital component. Parents are 100% involved in the process. Do you think a parent is not looking out for their childs best interest. I am sure that a parent is doing everything in their power to make sure their child has the best opportunity in life. You are making it sound as if its Lord of the Flies and kids are on their own. Thats not the case and the parents of early commits to top academic programs have done their homework.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So who then?

Travel sports have become a pressure cooker for kids. Its a shame but thats the nature of the beast. I think your forgetting one vital component. Parents are 100% involved in the process. Do you think a parent is not looking out for their childs best interest. I am sure that a parent is doing everything in their power to make sure their child has the best opportunity in life. You are making it sound as if its Lord of the Flies and kids are on their own. Thats not the case and the parents of early commits to top academic programs have done their homework.

The parents feel pressure too, and it doesn't have to be this way. The parents do like it one bit. There is no reason this needs to be happening in 9th grade (or even before) no reason.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any teams looking for players in the Western Suffolk area.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any teams looking for players in the Western Suffolk area.

Try Outlaws

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
come one, come all.

Page 5 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard