BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,812
Posts386,900
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 193 of 220 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone with actual experience know if any professors actually push through student athletes?? I'm so tired of reading this without anyone personally experiencing it! I know athletes get first selection of classes but inflated grades? Let's hear from a student or parent WITH PERSONAL experience or better yet a professor! Let's hear from those who did not get any leeway too! Should be interesting;)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Does anyone with actual experience know if any professors actually push through student athletes?? I'm so tired of reading this without anyone personally experiencing it! I know athletes get first selection of classes but inflated grades? Let's hear from a student or parent WITH PERSONAL experience or better yet a professor! Let's hear from those who did not get any leeway too! Should be interesting;)

Google UNC students grade manipulation - 18 years worth of scandals regarding grades for student athletes and I'm sure it wasn't only happening at UNC

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I said it before and I will say it again. My kid is going to a top 20 nationally ranked lacrosse school and never even played the game.
So who cares what team your kid plays for or what school looked at her.
How will they do after lacrosse is over??

is ur kid going to a top 20 academic school? who cares if they r going to a top 20 lax school if they r not playing. Tell me they got into Stanford, Duke, NU, ND, Princeton, Penn, Cornell, Hopkins and I'll be impressed. Those r the top 20 lax programs that r also top 20 academically. Otherwise, your point is pointless.

Isn't your point useless according to your own standards because those schools are not all top 20 in the country academically while others are not top 20 lax .

yes they are all top 20 academically. That was exactly the point.

Top 20 according to who ? If you are going to use US News be prepared to be wrong . They have about 80 schools in the top 20 lol.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I said it before and I will say it again. My kid is going to a top 20 nationally ranked lacrosse school and never even played the game.

is ur kid going to a top 20 academic school? who cares if they r going to a top 20 lax school if they r not playing. Tell me they got into Stanford, Duke, NU, ND, Princeton, Penn, Cornell, Hopkins and I'll be impressed. Those r the top 20 lax programs that r also top 20 academically. Otherwise, your point is pointless.

Isn't your point useless according to your own standards because those schools are not all top 20 in the country academically while others are not top 20 lax .

Top 20 according to who ? If you are going to use US News be prepared to be wrong . They have about 80 schools in the top 20 lol.

Ok smarty pants, which one do u think is not of the ones listed above?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few from our area are all county and LI all american (both 90ish students) had offers from D1 2 and 3 schools. Decided on D2 after visiting campuses- you need to listen to your kids folks. Some don't want to sit on the bench, some don't want to leave home, some are looking for a specific program. Please stop pressuring them into a college for name value, it's there lives- not yours. Enjoy watching them play if they are lucky enough to play, it's a wonderful experience!

Don't disagree. The flip side though, where kids do choose to go to a top academic school (and yes there are such things) and play lax at a very high level, keeps getting bashed on here. The implication is made by some that these kids r somehow "just dumb lax players" and somehow don't belong at these schools etc. Might be true in some cases, but not the majority. It is usually from jealous people who need to be called out for it. It's great if the right fit for your daughter is a D2 lax program and academic situation. It is also great if your daughter has the academic ambition and ability to go along with the lax ability to play at Princeton, don't you think? There is a difference between Princeton and D2 U, whether you want to admit that or not. It will be very safe bet that the D1 programs that your daughter rejected in favor of her D2 choice were not the as you put it the "name brand" schools listed above. So stop comparing apples and oranges.

Of course there is a difference between Princeton and D2, and nobody is comparing. The academic fit should certainly be considered before the lacrosse fit. Keep in mind some think their children are smarter than they are, just like some think their kid is a better athlete than they are. That being said lets be honest- do you know where your doctor graduated in his class? No- could be a 67 average but she got the degree. You can however look up stats and see how much playing time she got. So the point is if after looking at EVERY offer the STUDENT needs to decides if she/he wants to play, ride the pine and be academically comfortable. Best to you and yours.

Some of what you say is correct. Fit is of course important. Again this conversation was started by a guy stating that his daughter is going to a top 20 lax school, but had never played the game, so who cares about what lax kids play. Which by implication is putting down many girls who work very hard to achieve very commendable goals. In addition, it implies that academically, getting into a top 20 lax school without lax is somehow this amazing feat. It is conflating two things that aren't related. It would be very impressive to get into some top 20 lax schools without the advantage of being a great lax player (Stanford, Duke etc.). Others, not so much. So his dig at the great lax players was pretty weak. And his pumping up of his daughter was misplaced. As expected, his daughter did not get into one of the better academic schools in the lax top 20. It is unfortunate that he felt the need to put down all those high achieving girls that did.
I am not the origanl poster, so I can only guess at his intended meaning, but here is my take on it. I think what he was trying to say is that we as parents posting on this site are making way more out of our daughters lacrosse skills in choosing, or being accepted into a school. Lacrosse is a great sport, but is not at all the mesuring stick that we should be judging our kids by. Being a good lacrosse player could open doors that night not have been acceptable to you daughter, and that is wonderful, but if the oppertuinity is not taken advantage of by the student, than a degree from a school will only go so far. A deploma with Duke, Penn, JHU..... might be enough to land you a job, but if the rigors of the lacrosse schedule does not allow you to concentrate on academics as much as a non athlete than holding that job may not be as easy, and you might get passed by by someone that went to a less prestigious university. It is well known that all schools, regardless of the name will push through an athlete that probably would not be considered, and coaches will continue to push for a better grades for that athlete from there professors (who lets be honest, don't really care, there getting paid anyway), or by letting the athlete take easier class loads to accommodate the lacrosse schedule. So in summation, I think the poster was reall asking is it really worth bragging about your daughters admittance to a to 20 lax or academic school when in reality there just to play the sport? It's also common knowlege that most top 20 studs coach at what most here would consider lesser schools not because of the love of the game, rather because when there playing career is over they then choose to persue their intended major at an additional cost. Just my take on it

And of course you just did it again. So all the kids that go to top 20 lax schools, including the ones at Princeton Stanford Duke Northwestern etc, are just there to play the sport. And they all get handed better grades and take easy courses. This constant theme put forth by those of you who actually don't know, gets old. Are you jealous or something? Do you know that the top two-way midfielder at NU is an engineering major? Do you know that the top two-way midfielder at ND is pre-med? and there are many many more examples that i won't go thru. you can go look for yourself. So don't say that is just a couple. There are tons. And the vast majority of girls going to these top academic and lax schools will not only get good jobs out of college, but will succeed in them.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok smarty pants, which one do u think is not of the ones listed above?

That's kind of my point, there are some great schools that are not top 20. Depending on what list you look at. There are schools like Williams, Amherst, United States Military Academy etc. that are in my opinion better academically than Cornell, Hopkins ,Duke.( not a knock on those schools as they are great schools also) All this nonsense about lax is only four years then you need a job so you have to go to this or that school is being spewed by elitist morons.Depending on your kids interests etc there are many great schools out there and maybe ROI is the most important factor.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you're going on roi, then Colorado school of mines is the best

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if the kid is a trust fund baby? Really doesn't matter where she goes, right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if the kid is a trust fund baby? Really doesn't matter where she goes, right?

Again a lot of things to consider. My kid probably could have gone wherever she wanted but Ivy was not really a choice as we fall in that area where we would get zero financial assistance yet do not make enough to have 70,000 a year sitting around especially considering she has siblings.
Wonder what someone would have to make and for how long to catch up if ;student A goes to Ivy for 4 years but gets zero assistance so takes out loans vs the kid who goes into the workforce directly out of high school earning 30000 a year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How will they do after lacrosse is over??[/quote]

That's kind of my point, there are some great schools that are not top 20. Depending on what list you look at. There are schools like Williams, Amherst, United States Military Academy etc. that are in my opinion better academically than Cornell, Hopkins ,Duke.( not a knock on those schools as they are great schools also) All this nonsense about lax is only four years then you need a job so you have to go to this or that school is being spewed by elitist morons.Depending on your kids interests etc there are many great schools out there and maybe ROI is the most important factor.[/quote]

We are talking about lax programs w D1 lax and matching that up with great schools. If you want to include D3, of course Williams, Amherst etc would be there. And that's pretty darn elitist as well. And if it's ROI u want, assuming these are pretty good bets. But ROI might mean more than just financial return.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are the 2017 top 20 National Universities as ranked by US News.

Looks like 16 of the 20 have Division 1 programs. I am sure that the majority of girls playing lacrosse at these schools are getting a great education and that the future is bright as long as they continue to work hard.

1. Princeton University

2. Harvard University

3. University of Chicago

3. Yale University

5. Columbia University

5. Stanford University

7. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

8. Duke University

8. University of Pennsylvania

10. Johns Hopkins University

11. Dartmouth College

12. California Institute of Technology

12. Northwestern University

14. Brown University

15. Cornell University

15. Rice University

15. University of Notre Dame

15. Vanderbilt University

19. Washington University in St. Louis

20. Emory University

20. Georgetown University

20. University of California-Berkeley

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are the 2017 top 20 National Universities as ranked by US News.

Looks like 16 of the 20 have Division 1 programs. I am sure that the majority of girls playing lacrosse at these schools are getting a great education and that the future is bright as long as they continue to work hard.

1. Princeton University

2. Harvard University

3. University of Chicago

3. Yale University

5. Columbia University

5. Stanford University

7. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

8. Duke University

8. University of Pennsylvania

10. Johns Hopkins University

11. Dartmouth College

12. California Institute of Technology

12. Northwestern University

14. Brown University

15. Cornell University

15. Rice University

15. University of Notre Dame

15. Vanderbilt University

19. Washington University in St. Louis

20. Emory University

20. Georgetown University

20. University of California-Berkeley

THANK YOU! That is the point. These young women are amazing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The best 25 schools based on return on investment as reported by Forbes
School average starting salary
1.Harvey Mudd 66,800
2.Califorinia Institute of tech 67,400
3.NYU Poly 56,800
4.MIT 68,400
5.SUNY Maritime (in state) 59,000
6.Colorado School of Mines (in state) 64,200
7.SUNY Maritime (out of state) 59,000
8.Colorado School of Mines (out of state) 64,200
9.Stevens Inst. of tech. 60,900
10.Stanford 58,200
11.Georgia Inst. of tech (in state) 59,000
12.Rose -Hulman Inst. of tech 62,300
13.Claremont Mckenna 49,600
14.Harvard 50,700
15.worcester Poly does not state
16.Mass. Maritime Academy (in state) 50,900
17.Georgia Inst. of tech (out of state) 59,000
18.Santa Clara 50,600
19.Dartmouth 54,100
20.Mass. Maritime Academy (out of state) 50,900
21.Rensselaer 59,500
22.Williams 53,600
23.Notre Dame 53,400
24.Princeton 58,300
25.Babson 56,300

Are these kids just as great? or do you need lacrosse to be considered great by you?
If you notice you have to get to #10 to get a top 20 Lacrosse school, and there are only 4 on the whole list, so maybe yourbanging on your chest more about your daughters lacrosse ability then her intelligence, otherwise she would be going to one of these schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You get out of school what you put into it. You can go to a great school and maximize the opportunity. On the contrary you can go to an average school and maximize all of it. Will you get a job ahead of the top ten school grad, maybe not. But I am a firm believer that hard work over time will always win. It is a marathon, not a sprint.

It comes down to one thing...GRIT(read the book)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's kind of my point, there are some great schools that are not top 20. Depending on what list you look at. There are schools like Williams, Amherst, United States Military Academy etc. that are in my opinion better academically than Cornell, Hopkins ,Duke.( not a knock on those schools as they are great schools also) All this nonsense about lax is only four years then you need a job so you have to go to this or that school is being spewed by elitist morons.Depending on your kids interests etc there are many great schools out there and maybe ROI is the most important factor.[/quote]

We are talking about lax programs w D1 lax and matching that up with great schools. If you want to include D3, of course Williams, Amherst etc would be there. And that's pretty darn elitist as well. And if it's ROI u want, assuming these are pretty good bets. But ROI might mean more than just financial return. [/quote]

Is your daughter playing there? Or she happens to go to a school with a top 20 lacrosse program?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1.Harvey Mudd 66,800
3.NYU Poly 56,800
4.MIT 68,400
10.Stanford 58,200
14.Harvard 50,700
18.Santa Clara 50,600
19.Dartmouth 54,100
21.Rensselaer 59,500
22.Williams 53,600
23.Notre Dame 53,400
24.Princeton 58,300
25.Babson 56,300

Are these kids just as great? or do you need lacrosse to be considered great by you?
If you notice you have to get to #10 to get a top 20 Lacrosse school, and there are only 4 on the whole list, so maybe yourbanging on your chest more about your daughters lacrosse ability then her intelligence, otherwise she would be going to one of these schools.

This is a lacrosse website you potato head . If your kid goes to one of those schools but doesn't play lacross then who cares.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn't think my simple post could be taken so many different ways.
My point was this...My oldest started college this season at a top 20 nationally ranked lacrosse school. Many of her friends that don't play lacrosse or any other sport are going to a lot of the same schools that are listed as verbal commits on elite lacrosse websites.
Those kids listed on those sites would probably go to those same schools whether they played lacrosse or not.
So when you hear about some kids playing at a top academic school it's probably not the lacrosse that got them there but more likely their SAT scores and money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If my kid does play for one of these great top 20 lacrosse and academic schools you would care? If so why?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1.Harvey Mudd 66,800
3.NYU Poly 56,800
4.MIT 68,400
10.Stanford 58,200
14.Harvard 50,700
18.Santa Clara 50,600
19.Dartmouth 54,100
21.Rensselaer 59,500
22.Williams 53,600
23.Notre Dame 53,400
24.Princeton 58,300
25.Babson 56,300

You go on and keep missing the point if you want. Love to see your kid get into Cal Tech, MIT or Harvey Mudd. Then come talk to me. Who is arguing with those being great schools? This is a lacrosse forum you moron. And people on here, mostly out of jealously, try to put kids down who get into top lax AND academic schools. I don't know why. So I guess keep making yourself fell better if you have to. Must be disappointed in your kid or something but if it makes you feel better. Feel sorry for her. Really.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My point was this...My oldest started college this season at a top 20 nationally ranked lacrosse school. Many of her friends that don't play lacrosse or any other sport are going to a lot of the same schools that are listed as verbal commits on elite lacrosse websites.
Those kids listed on those sites would probably go to those same schools whether they played lacrosse or not.
So when you hear about some kids playing at a top academic school it's probably not the lacrosse that got them there but more likely their SAT scores and money.

This was your original post
"I said it before and I will say it again. My kid is going to a top 20 nationally ranked lacrosse school and never even played the game.
How will they do after lacrosse is over??"
Very different tone and point than your last one above. But glad you've come around.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1.Harvey Mudd 66,800
3.NYU Poly 56,800
4.MIT 68,400
10.Stanford 58,200
14.Harvard 50,700
18.Santa Clara 50,600
19.Dartmouth 54,100
21.Rensselaer 59,500
22.Williams 53,600
23.Notre Dame 53,400
24.Princeton 58,300
25.Babson 56,300

This is a lacrosse website you potato head . If your kid goes to one of those schools but doesn't play lacross then who cares.
most of these schools do have lacrosse, where lots of kids play, so are those kids as special as your little super star even though they play DII or DIII but are getting a better chance at making a good living as soon as they graduate? do they work just as hard, on and off the field even though they are not at a "lacrosse school" or in your elitist opinion do only the kids that go to your anointed top schools only deserve praise? Your right potato head, this is a lacrosse web site so lets talk about the game of lacrosse and not about how YOU think some schools, and some kids are better than others. this is a TG thread and you want to talk about how your kid is better because she goes to NU? No one cares! let the TG parents talk about there club without you sticking your nose in or giving your unsolicited opinion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

pay attention people...The poster never said his kid plays lacrosse at a top 20 lax school. He only said his kid attends a top 20 lax school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Potato head" - that one made me laugh, thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is this on Top Guns. Move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is this on Top Guns. Move on.

because there's nothing to talk about regarding tg, so this give you some reason to check the thread

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would rather silence, than the nonsense thats been going on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will there still be 3 teams for 2021? I heard most girls didn't accept the spot on White, so what happens to the rest that said yes?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will there still be 3 teams for 2021? I heard most girls didn't accept the spot on White, so what happens to the rest that said yes?

They make two huge teams of 25 or 26 girls like they did with 2018

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the more the merrier...just think how many new lax moms and dads you get to know on the sidelines!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They make two huge teams of 25 or 26 girls like they did with 2018

They did that with 2017 purple and never told parents until after checks were cashed. The following year 10 girls left. Look for clubs with 1 team per age group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Call TG and ask them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
too afraid of coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Call TG and ask them.

They won't answer until they are done counting money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Call TG and ask them.

Heard they only have 1 goalie out of the "3" teams, and that many on white and purple didn't take the invite, but they are filling purple with girls from West Islip who didn't even attend tryouts. Even the black roster is a mess as girls the 6 Elevate girls who they offered spots to didn't all pay their first payment yet. Probably waiting until after YJ tryouts. Feel sorry for those girls at 2021 over at TG, total mess. What they are doing and the shuffling isn't fair to the girls who tried out and who have been with the program for the last few years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Call TG and ask them.

Heard they only have 1 goalie out of the "3" teams, and that many on white and purple didn't take the invite, but they are filling purple with girls from West Islip who didn't even attend tryouts. Even the black roster is a mess as girls the 6 Elevate girls who they offered spots to didn't all pay their first payment yet. Probably waiting until after YJ tryouts. Feel sorry for those girls at 2021 over at TG, total mess. What they are doing and the shuffling isn't fair to the girls who tried out and who have been with the program for the last few years.

If the Smiths cared, this wouldn't have happened. Since they don't, this is what you get. 4th straight year of girls leaving. Great business model

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What the heck is going on w the 2019 college commits at this age .It just does not make sense that so few at this point are committed .I get that it's still early but a lot of schools are either already done at this age or finishing up and have little to no scholarship left .Not the best team in the age group but as they say the college coaches recruit players not teams , along those lines it seems the 2020 group is doing well and they are really even a weaker team .Are a lot of the 19's looking at slower moving schools that give little to no athletic money like the Ivies etc . I know it sounds harsh but really just curious as my daughter will be there in a couple years .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah because they are staying with elevate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
maybe its not a strong class for TG?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What the heck is going on w the 2019 college commits at this age .It just does not make sense that so few at this point are committed .I get that it's still early but a lot of schools are either already done at this age or finishing up and have little to no scholarship left .Not the best team in the age group but as they say the college coaches recruit players not teams , along those lines it seems the 2020 group is doing well and they are really even a weaker team .Are a lot of the 19's looking at slower moving schools that give little to no athletic money like the Ivies etc . I know it sounds harsh but really just curious as my daughter will be there in a couple years .

Top Guns have no college connections anymore in respect to recruiting. The person who had the main college contacts at the big schools has left a few years ago. They are feeling the effects of this now. SS has a conflict of interest, and when BS calls (or says he calls) he is probably laughed at as he really doesn't know lacrosse. He puts on a good show, because he's been around it. But realistically no bueno.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe the 2019s are taking their time and really researching schools to find the best fit for their child and not just jumping at the 1st school that offers them anything because of the "name of the school. Saying you're going to a Md, UNC or other big schools sounds great but if you're just on the sideline and not playing doesn't really mean much. Being a schools top recruit and being the bottom recruit certainly have different meanings!!

Like Reply Quote
Page 193 of 220 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard