BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 102 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 101 102
Re: Boys 2023 - 6th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What happened to the Express A team? They cut some awesome players that were devoted to the club for the past several years. If this is the case, should I pull my son from the team knowing they're going to kick him off at some point? I'd rather have security of knowing where my money is going and where my son is playing.

Every knows AJ doesn't have say in who makes that team. The badgers practice is he only one where you'll see Mrs AJ carrying AJ balls out on the field.

Pull your kid as fast as you can. Teaching your child about loyalty is far more important than being a Badger. Plenty of good clubs where loyalty shines from the ownership down through to the parents.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think it's great things are quiet let the kids have balance and get going in school and fall sports

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
True Blue played in nothing but A brackets all season last year and won a couple of tournaments. If your kid was on some of the "elite" teams that now play in the NLF then you probably didn't see them. Unfortunately there are a few talented teams that aren't making Channy richer just to avoid the new age guidelines!

What ones did they win ?
Town tournaments don't count

A brackets in B tournaments don't count. If your playing in B tournaments play up like the real A teams do!!!!

They lost in B tournaments last year. But this year they will be playing A bracket in A tournaments? Almost as miraculous a turnaround as Tornados! Can't wait to see them at LI LX FST.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People have no clue how big the gap in talent is between B and B plus teams to A. This won't be the first time parents think a B team can compete with the A teams after some changes were made to the B team. The jump can be made but it is very difficult to make it especially in just one year. Most older years have only 3 to 5 true A teams per year on Long Island. This year will be no different on how many true A teams it will have by 8th grade. One last note if your kid can't make an A team it does not matter. You will find that out in a few years kids get recruited from all teams A , B and even C and not all the kids on A teams get recruited. Don't worry about the label placed on any team. It has no meaning on how good any kid is on those teams.

True Blue played in nothing but A brackets all season last year and won a couple of tournaments. If your kid was on some of the "elite" teams that now play in the NLF then you probably didn't see them. Unfortunately there are a few talented teams that aren't making Channy richer just to avoid the new age guidelines!

What ones did they win ?
Town tournaments don't count

A brackets in B tournaments don't count. If your playing in B tournaments play up like the real A teams do!!!!

They lost in B tournaments last year. But this year they will be playing A bracket in A tournaments? Almost as miraculous a turnaround as Tornados! Can't wait to see them at LI LX FST.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a little late to the tryouts. Is anyone going to Recon or Outlaw tryouts, and if so which is a better option? Thank you for any trusted advice.

Pretty sure Outlaws had their last tryout last Saturday. So you might be figuratively and literally late. I guess you can call to see if spots are open and ask for a private tryout.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is a good deal of chatter about Express 2023 HB Team. It started out cordial about a parent asking if it is worth keeping his son on the team if all it means is he may get cut next year. From a parent where my son was cut from the team after playing with them for 3 years, and there were only 5 of us, the team dynamic was awesome. Kids loved one another and the parents all got along (let's leave the BM incident out of the equation).

My son was cut and, in the long run, it may be the best thing that happened to him. AJ is an awesome coach and you would know this if you attended any of his practices or really watched him during the game. Yes, he is quiet but don't mistake that for passiveness. He is very passionate about the game and making kids better. His only real downfall is his lack of communication. It may sound naïve but the team had a good season and everyone, at least I thought, had the hopes this would be one of those teams where the kids stay together through to the end of travel lacrosse. Had I known this was not the case, I could have prepared for the inevitability. With the exception of a few stand-outs on the team, there is very little disparity from the top to the bottom. I don't think saying a kid is a 7th or 8th midfielder is fair/accurate. I think the coaches were so used to the boys and their roles that, regardless of how they played, they viewed them a certain way so some of them were simply under-utilized. It's hard for a child to advocate for themselves and a parent can only change the coaches mind so much.

It was a big blow to my son as it was probably for any child cut from a team. It still stings and I worry he may not have the same passion for the game as he doesn't want to be disappointed again. I hope I am wrong but we did scramble to make a couple of late tryouts. He was not his best and it showed. We found a team and the coach is a great guy. He likes my son and I am hoping he brings out the best in him. If you have ever heard the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure" it rings true.

My hope is Express 2023 does great and I will continue to root for them and AJ... except when my son plays them smile

Go ahead and beat me up now!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kudos to that guy!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said! Good for you - your son will rebound quickly because it appears he has normal parents! A rarity in this sport!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, a breath of fresh air!!! I think we may have talked at one of those tryouts and appreciated your honesty around the subject. It's great to get feedback from normal people who are supporting their kids for all the right reasons. We all love this sport but most people on here need to look themselves in the mirror and ask some hard questions. I hope your son likes his new team! Good luck next season!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is a good deal of chatter about Express 2023 HB Team. It started out cordial about a parent asking if it is worth keeping his son on the team if all it means is he may get cut next year. From a parent where my son was cut from the team after playing with them for 3 years, and there were only 5 of us, the team dynamic was awesome. Kids loved one another and the parents all got along (let's leave the BM incident out of the equation).

My son was cut and, in the long run, it may be the best thing that happened to him. AJ is an awesome coach and you would know this if you attended any of his practices or really watched him during the game. Yes, he is quiet but don't mistake that for passiveness. He is very passionate about the game and making kids better. His only real downfall is his lack of communication. It may sound naïve but the team had a good season and everyone, at least I thought, had the hopes this would be one of those teams where the kids stay together through to the end of travel lacrosse. Had I known this was not the case, I could have prepared for the inevitability. With the exception of a few stand-outs on the team, there is very little disparity from the top to the bottom. I don't think saying a kid is a 7th or 8th midfielder is fair/accurate. I think the coaches were so used to the boys and their roles that, regardless of how they played, they viewed them a certain way so some of them were simply under-utilized. It's hard for a child to advocate for themselves and a parent can only change the coaches mind so much.

It was a big blow to my son as it was probably for any child cut from a team. It still stings and I worry he may not have the same passion for the game as he doesn't want to be disappointed again. I hope I am wrong but we did scramble to make a couple of late tryouts. He was not his best and it showed. We found a team and the coach is a great guy. He likes my son and I am hoping he brings out the best in him. If you have ever heard the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure" it rings true.

My hope is Express 2023 does great and I will continue to root for them and AJ... except when my son plays them smile

An alternative would be to have your son go to the B team on Express. At this age your son needs quality coaching and repetition. Parents think that their children should be on the A team or bust. I've been on both sides of the fence A & B, and the B worked out better for game playing time, man up, man down, etc. Most of the time on an A team kids sit the bench a lot more.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nicely said. Just a matter of time that these kids that were cut, or kids that didn't make Express realize it's just a name and they CAN play on the same field against them. After all, they did play on the same team WITH them. Just think. Now your son is another team's shiny new toy. Hope he has a great season, and he rebuilds his self confidence. It's a tough age for these boys, but kids are very resilient.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's like an avalanche and I can't stop. Thank you for the advice about considering a B team. My older son actually plays on what would be considered a B team and they are anything but. Many of the kids are just as good as the A team players but not better so the original players stay put. It kind of sucks but I actually agree with that.

That said, two points I want to make clear. We went to another club because I was extremely impressed with that particular coach and I truly believe my son and the team will get quality coaching. Regarding the A/B thing, since the quality coaching is not a concern as I stated, there is a psychological component. You may disagree but, as I mentioned in the original post, my son was under-utilized. I never said I didn't think he was an A team player. I want my son to believe in himself and we are using this opportunity for a fresh start. That B team may actually be better than his new team but putting him on the team, in some manner, is admitting defeat which we are not prepared to do at his young age of 11.

Please don't take the last sentence the wrong way... I made it clear I have no issues with B teams.

I hope this is helpful. Getting this out has been for me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]It's like an avalanche and I can't stop. Thank you for the advice about considering a B team. My older son actually plays on what would be considered a B team and they are anything but. Many of the kids are just as good as the A team players but not better so the original players stay put. It kind of sucks but I actually agree with that.

That said, two points I want to make clear. We went to another club because I was extremely impressed with that particular coach and I truly believe my son and the team will get quality coaching. Regarding the A/B thing, since the quality coaching is not a concern as I stated, there is a psychological component. You may disagree but, as I mentioned in the original post, my son was under-utilized. I never said I didn't think he was an A team player. I want my son to believe in himself and we are using this opportunity for a fresh start. That B team may actually be better than his new team but putting him on the team, in some manner, is admitting defeat which we are not prepared to do at his young age of 11.

Please don't take the last sentence the wrong way... I made it clear I have no issues with B teams.

I hope this is helpful. Getting this out has been for me. [/quot
e]

Completely agree with you. Confidence is key. Move forward not back. Congratulations on being such supportive and level headed parents.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's like an avalanche and I can't stop. Thank you for the advice about considering a B team. My older son actually plays on what would be considered a B team and they are anything but. Many of the kids are just as good as the A team players but not better so the original players stay put. It kind of sucks but I actually agree with that.

I hope this is helpful. Getting this out has been for me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

His lack of communicaion is a BIG issue for me. The team/kids hut a brick wall with no warning. A coach who can't communicate is NOT a good coach. Sorry but it's the truth.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Icon at this age level fold?? They couldn't get a goalie last year and I heard many of the parents were unhappy. Curious if they held it together. I haven't come across anyone on the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks to this guy for keeping this forum on a heading I for one appreciate. Willing to share specific info, offer an opinion, and let others absorb it. Thank you!

PS- not sure the guys who bombard the forum with silly posts realize there are many of us who don't know or care about random insider snipes like "JS ditched *** because BM is a sideline dad [lacrosse] who should be a B coach!" ... spare us.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I want to commend that dad for his truthful analogy on lax at 11 and showing support for his previous team and coach. If your son follows the same philosophy as you, he will be successful. 11 year olds need guidance and support. They need to know that their parents support them and only want whats best!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for the support. The last couple days have been therapeutic. The few people that identified me have only had nice things to say and felt I gave them a voice as well.

I won't pretend I am not one of those parents that never complains. It would be foolish to pretend otherwise. What I can tell you is we should all take a moment to just watch our kids. They get on the field and there is no malice in them. They play because it is fun (and to win). When it stops being fun they will stop playing.

For the person that hopes my child has the same philosophy as me... I am the one that is trying to live by his philosophy. All I can do is try and make sure he continues to love life which is no easy task.

Back to lacrosse.... it's ok to live vicariously through your kids. Their experiences are your experiences. What you need to avoid is getting upset with them when they have a setback. Pick him up, dust him off and send him back out there making sure he knows you will love him no matter what (this goes for your daughters as well).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for the support. The last couple days have been therapeutic. The few people that identified me have only had nice things to say and felt I gave them a voice as well.

I won't pretend I am not one of those parents that never complains. It would be foolish to pretend otherwise. What I can tell you is we should all take a moment to just watch our kids. They get on the field and there is no malice in them. They play because it is fun (and to win). When it stops being fun they will stop playing.

For the person that hopes my child has the same philosophy as me... I am the one that is trying to live by his philosophy. All I can do is try and make sure he continues to love life which is no easy task.

Back to lacrosse.... it's ok to live vicariously through your kids. Their experiences are your experiences. What you need to avoid is getting upset with them when they have a setback. Pick him up, dust him off and send him back out there making sure he knows you will love him no matter what (this goes for your daughters as well).

AMEN TO THAT.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What happened to the Express A team? They cut some awesome players that were devoted to the club for the past several years. If this is the case, should I pull my son from the team knowing they're going to kick him off at some point? I'd rather have security of knowing where my money is going and where my son is playing.

Every knows AJ doesn't have say in who makes that team. The badgers practice is he only one where you'll see Mrs AJ carrying AJ balls out on the field.

WOW!!! Too funny. Get some balls AJ

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks to this guy for keeping this forum on a heading I for one appreciate. Willing to share specific info, offer an opinion, and let others absorb it. Thank you!

PS- not sure the guys who bombard the forum with silly posts realize there are many of us who don't know or care about random insider snipes like "JS ditched *** because BM is a sideline dad [lacrosse] who should be a B coach!" ... spare us.

Love the language. Try being a little more classy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's because they are jealous and can't do anything but take shots at the two best coaches in the grade!! Sad

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Icon at this age level fold?? They couldn't get a goalie last year and I heard many of the parents were unhappy. Curious if they held it together. I haven't come across anyone on the team.

No, they didn't fold. They held tryouts (and made cuts) and have rostered a team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is playing on a B team admitting defeat? Did your older son admit defeat? A real shame you think this way. And maybe you should consider that your view is holding your son back.
You say your son was under utilized. That's code for not playing, right? Maybe he'd play more on a B team. That's not admitting defeat but it could be having fun. I'm sure you think he was an A player. But after being underutilized and being cut maybe not. What's the value in the label of A anyway?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
News flash. More starters from B teams play college lacrosse compared to bench players on A teams. If you have older kids you will agree with this if you don't have older kids you won't agree with this.

Why is playing on a B team admitting defeat? Did your older son admit defeat? A real shame you think this way. And maybe you should consider that your view is holding your son back.
You say your son was under utilized. That's code for not playing, right? Maybe he'd play more on a B team. That's not admitting defeat but it could be having fun. I'm sure you think he was an A player. But after being underutilized and being cut maybe not. What's the value in the label of A anyway?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What happened to the Express A team? They cut some awesome players that were devoted to the club for the past several years. If this is the case, should I pull my son from the team knowing they're going to kick him off at some point? I'd rather have security of knowing where my money is going and where my son is playing.[/quote]

What happened to the Express A team is they upgraded attack with 2 new kids, got one of the best goalies in the 2023 class, and added another great middy. A strong team just got quite a bit stronger. That is what happened. And the coaching group is solid, motivated, and committed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What happened to the Express A team is they upgraded attack with 2 new kids, got one of the best goalies in the 2023 class, and added another great middy. A strong team just got quite a bit stronger. That is what happened. And the coaching group is solid, motivated, and committed. [/quote]

you upgraded at attack? i thought you re classified a 7th grader back to 6th grade isn't that true?

and the rest of your statement is just based on what. you are a dad lol

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What happened to the Express A team is they upgraded attack with 2 new kids, got one of the best goalies in the 2023 class, and added another great middy. A strong team just got quite a bit stronger. That is what happened. And the coaching group is solid, motivated, and committed. [/quote]
What a fulfilled life you must have led thus far. While you continue to obviously live through your kid, please try not to be such a typical Express parent who is an arrogant [lacrosse].

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not sure about all of that, but this is competitive lacrosse. Like it or not, teams are trying to put the most competitive team possible on the field. If you think your son deserves a spot on one of the top teams because he could throw and catch three years ago, welcome to reality. PAL is for the "every one gets a cookie" crowd, but travel, at any age (5 year olds to 17 year olds) is about the best kid at the position. That's how it should be. That's why we pay several thousand dollars a year, to play with the best possible kids for that team. That doesn't mean your son's development will be stifled because he's not on one of the top teams; on the contrary, he may excel play more minutes. But don't hate on a program for doing what they're supposed to do.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What happened to the Express A team is they upgraded attack with 2 new kids, got one of the best goalies in the 2023 class, and added another great middy. A strong team just got quite a bit stronger. That is what happened. And the coaching group is solid, motivated, and committed.

you upgraded at attack? i thought you re classified a 7th grader back to 6th grade isn't that true?

and the rest of your statement is just based on what. you are a dad lol [/quote]

This years trend seems to be trading out true 2023 players in exchange for reclassified hold backs. More than just that one attackman. On some teams rumor is they didn't even bother to reclass -- they are 2022's playing down. Unfortunately the sport is heading in a dark direction and until age restrictions and photo IDs are issued like soccer and football-- this trend will continue to get worse. So touting wins this year will be a bit ridiculous.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously you are the goalies dad because that appraisal is a few notches above the others. A goalie can take a team from good to outstanding. He didn't do that with outlaws. Sorry to burst you bubble pops, enjoy your they year than come back and give a true assessment of the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not sure about all of that, but this is competitive lacrosse. Like it or not, teams are trying to put the most competitive team possible on the field. If you think your son deserves a spot on one of the top teams because he could throw and catch three years ago, welcome to reality. PAL is for the "every one gets a cookie" crowd, but travel, at any age (5 year olds to 17 year olds) is about the best kid at the position. That's how it should be. That's why we pay several thousand dollars a year, to play with the best possible kids for that team. That doesn't mean your son's development will be stifled because he's not on one of the top teams; on the contrary, he may excel play more minutes. But don't hate on a program for doing what they're supposed to do. [/quote]

People Pay to several thousand dollars to watch the best kids play and win a shirt? I thought people pay several thousand because they are getting great coaching to make their son better. If having the best player play during the games means they were trained by some PAL coach who bakes good cookies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Blue fish is having tryouts again for 2023, anyone know how good this team is or what positions there looking for.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What happened to the Express A team is they upgraded attack with 2 new kids, got one of the best goalies in the 2023 class, and added another great middy. A strong team just got quite a bit stronger. That is what happened. And the coaching group is solid, motivated, and committed.[/quote]

Ok Channy!! Find something useful to do beside trying to protect your brand

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Blue fish is having tryouts again for 2023, anyone know how good this team is or what positions there looking for.

Seems like a couple of teams are still trying to out the rosters. Lots of teams out there now. Why not call express and see if they can have the 27th-30th kids?

Bluefish struggled last year. Don't know what kind of turnover or returnees they had

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

tryout for the Outlaws, they are looking for Middies, and Defense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Last year was their first year. This year I heard a few players who are unhappy with their clubs are going over to BLue Fish and they are solid players so I predict this year they will do much better. The players who were there last year look much improved so they are doing something right.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not sure about all of that, but this is competitive lacrosse. Like it or not, teams are trying to put the most competitive team possible on the field. If you think your son deserves a spot on one of the top teams because he could throw and catch three years ago, welcome to reality. PAL is for the "every one gets a cookie" crowd, but travel, at any age (5 year olds to 17 year olds) is about the best kid at the position. That's how it should be. That's why we pay several thousand dollars a year, to play with the best possible kids for that team. That doesn't mean your son's development will be stifled because he's not on one of the top teams; on the contrary, he may excel play more minutes. But don't hate on a program for doing what they're supposed to do.

People Pay to several thousand dollars to watch the best kids play and win a shirt? I thought people pay several thousand because they are getting great coaching to make their son better. If having the best player play during the games means they were trained by some PAL coach who bakes good cookies. [/quote]

Actually MOST of the parents that pay thousands for their kids to play travel.lacrosse do it because they are delusional that they are all going D1 on full scholarships.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

tryout for the Outlaws, they are looking for Middies, and Defense.

How do you know what area they are looking for players at? Nothing is posted on the site except for "Open Tryouts" Do you happen to know what team they need players for?

Page 19 of 102 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 101 102

Link Copied to Clipboard