BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 264 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 263 264
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Umm, actually Bay Shore happens to be a very good school district, do the research and get your facts straight before making asinine statements.

Bay shore school district def has a bad reputation regardless of what your research shows. Not sure how you change that...

Bad reputation in what regard? Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that people are more concerned with the demographics of the school than the quality of the education, which happens to be top notch.

I'm not sure if people really know what they're talking about but generally the word is that Bay Shore is not a good school district. I don't think people even know where to find out if it's "top notch" as you say it is. I'm not saying it's bad and I wouldn't even know where to look...

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You just nailed it. Best part, is as this sport grows and that demographic that these parents want nothing to do with joins the sport, little Johnny will be back on the bowling team...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Umm, actually Bay Shore happens to be a very good school district, do the research and get your facts straight before making asinine statements.

Bay shore school district def has a bad reputation regardless of what your research shows. Not sure how you change that...

Bad reputation in what regard? Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that people are more concerned with the demographics of the school than the quality of the education, which happens to be top notch.

I'm not sure if people really know what they're talking about but generally the word is that Bay Shore is not a good school district. I don't think people even know where to find out if it's "top notch" as you say it is. I'm not saying it's bad and I wouldn't even know where to look...

What a lot of people do not realize some of these districts are better than the numbers indicate. They are hampered by a few key statistics that ultimately comes down to money. The key stats that keep some of these districts lower are:
1. SAT scores. A district can go from bottom half to top 20 if the numbers increased by 200 points. It's not to say the kids are stupid but mom and dad can't afford to pay for the same SAT prep class and specialize tutor someone in hills/smithtown or GC can afford to pay for.

2. The number of kids going on to 2 and 4 year collage. I guarantee you there are kids in these so called under-performing schools that given the same opportunity would excel. Some of them finish high school with very good grades but cannot afford to pay for collage and thus decide to enter the workforce and that is a big knock on a district numbers.

3. The number of kids that are taking (paying) AP class again finances play a big part

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What a lot of people do not realize some of these districts are better than the numbers indicate. They are hampered by a few key statistics that ultimately comes down to money. The key stats that keep some of these districts lower are:
1. SAT scores. A district can go from bottom half to top 20 if the numbers increased by 200 points. It's not to say the kids are stupid but mom and dad can't afford to pay for the same SAT prep class and specialize tutor someone in hills/smithtown or GC can afford to pay for.

2. The number of kids going on to 2 and 4 year collage. I guarantee you there are kids in these so called under-performing schools that given the same opportunity would excel. Some of them finish high school with very good grades but cannot afford to pay for collage and thus decide to enter the workforce and that is a big knock on a district numbers.

3. The number of kids that are taking (paying) AP class again finances play a big part

Sorry, no district is better than their numbers. Their numbers are what they are. Any district can say, this or that, to make them seem better but the metrics are what they are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry, no district is better than their numbers. Their numbers are what they are. Any district can say, this or that, to make them seem better but the metrics are what they are.

I think saying they are very good is asinine. Define very good. One would think top half of LI would be very good, maybe top half Suffolk, top half Islip. Please define very good with Measurables. Because I don't see it.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has J C been reinstated?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, the money makes it all better argument. The US government has been dumping money into underperforming school districts for decades. The result? Said districts are still underperforming. Completely misguided argument. That's the DeBlasio method of improving schools, dump money in. Doesn't work.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has J C been reinstated?

Yes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, the money makes it all better argument. The US government has been dumping money into underperforming school districts for decades. The result? Said districts are still underperforming. Completely misguided argument. That's the DeBlasio method of improving schools, dump money in. Doesn't work.

Thank you for clearing up the under-performing schools in 100 words or less. Yes it is criminal how in 3 years DeBlasio has destroyed the once great and trouble free NYC school system.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I use Zillow to check out school districts ratings, and Bay Shore does not rate high.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I use Zillow to check out school districts ratings, and Bay Shore does not rate high.

Do you consider West Islip a good district? Zillow has West Islip rated slightly higher than Bay Shore and on some sites Bay Shore is rated higher. I have intimate knowledge of both and honestly Bay Shore is a much better district. West Islip has very good athletics but is one of the most overrated academic districts in the state.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you consider West Islip a good district? Zillow has West Islip rated slightly higher than Bay Shore and on some sites Bay Shore is rated higher. I have intimate knowledge of both and honestly Bay Shore is a much better district. West Islip has very good athletics but is one of the most overrated academic districts in the state.

Laughable

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you for clearing up the under-performing schools in 100 words or less. Yes it is criminal how in 3 years DeBlasio has destroyed the once great and trouble free NYC school system.

NYC schools have been a disaster for over 50 years. There is no salvaging them. If things don't change will Long Island be far behind? Will we all be lining up to send our kids to privates like in NYC? Could this be the future?? Scary

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If that helps you sleep better, okay. the real news will hit later this week when Newsday hears from gov coumo's office on the latest teacher YouTube video. In my opinion, although funny, the two videos (last spring and this week) show a clear lack of respect. I wouldnt want that type of publicity filmed or advocated in my schools by my teachers or admins.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's just call it what it is, Cronyism at the highest levels of state government. The most powerful union in the state continues to thwart any attempts to improve schools to line the pockets of both government officials as well as top union leaders. Who cares about the kids.

NYC schools have been a disaster for over 50 years. There is no salvaging them. If things don't change will Long Island be far behind? Will we all be lining up to send our kids to privates like in NYC? Could this be the future?? Scary

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"demographic" and bay shore. When you buy in the district you know what you are getting. People don't leave Bay Shore for the private schools because of the demographic. They leave because they feel that the private school is a better fit for their kids. Bay Shore education is solid, what is lacking for such a big district is a lack of understanding about the importance sports plays in the lives of teenagers. Boys sports are an afterthought there. The district has plenty of talent. What they do not have is an athletic director who cares or coaches that care to build a program. They have teams not programs..The school board is clueless and does not care to address any issues other than "progressive" issues. What they fail to realize is that in a district with a diverse economic means, sports is the great equalizer. Promotes character, self esteem and for kid with limited role models or family a coach or team can be a very important positive influence in their lives..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The reason why schools in NYC suck is because white people moved out of the city. It has literally nothing to do with teachers, curriculum, spending, etc.

Demographics uber alles.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You really can't be serious? People flock to WI for the schools. Have you EVER heard anyone say or hear of anyone moving to BS for the schools? Enough with this ridiculous thread, move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
break brightwaters off from Bay shore and then maybe you've got some potential...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I use Zillow to check out school districts ratings, and Bay Shore does not rate high.

You really can't be serious? People flock to WI for the schools. Have you EVER heard anyone say or hear of anyone moving to BS for the schools? Enough with this ridiculous thread, move on. [/quote

People move to West Islip because the schools are perceived to be good. Lets be real, we all know why people move to West Islip..........

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Laughable

Correct, they are laughable.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are different reasons why we lose kids to St Ants,Cham or SJB. We lost 2 attack and a middie last year to St ants and attack to sjb. The team will go on and the coaches will make do with what they have. Is it a shame that we lost them? yes. It is what it is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"demographic" and bay shore. When you buy in the district you know what you are getting. People don't leave Bay Shore for the private schools because of the demographic. They leave because they feel that the private school is a better fit for their kids. Bay Shore education is solid, what is lacking for such a big district is a lack of understanding about the importance sports plays in the lives of teenagers. Boys sports are an afterthought there. The district has plenty of talent. What they do not have is an athletic director who cares or coaches that care to build a program. They have teams not programs..The school board is clueless and does not care to address any issues other than "progressive" issues. What they fail to realize is that in a district with a diverse economic means, sports is the great equalizer. Promotes character, self esteem and for kid with limited role models or family a coach or team can be a very important positive influence in their lives..

Exactly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I use Zillow to check out school districts ratings, and Bay Shore does not rate high.

You really can't be serious? People flock to WI for the schools. Have you EVER heard anyone say or hear of anyone moving to BS for the schools? Enough with this ridiculous thread, move on. [/quote

People move to West Islip because the schools are perceived to be good. Lets be real, we all know why people move to West Islip..........

Yes we do, what's wrong with that? Always been a desirable town to live--great schools, nice neighborhoods, good people, close to RoMo, close to LIRR, lots of canals, great hospital a mile away.... What more do you need?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With many starting their 1st or 2nd week of football games, can we talk about who is going to what Fall tournaments as a HS team. Who is going where?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no ....lets not

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3. The number of kids that are taking (paying) AP class again finances play a big part [/quote]

[/quote]

Since you said the person should get their facts straight I figured I would post there here. If we are just looking at SAT scores the difference between 10 and 20 is 100 points and the difference between 10 and 51 is 200 pints. So if mom and dad can afford to pay for a few sessions that can improve your score by 100-150 it makes a big difference in how people view your district.
http://patch.com/new-[lacrosse]/huntingto...hools-sat-scores-ranked-highest-lowest-0

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[/quote]

Since you said the person should get their facts straight I figured I would post there here. If we are just looking at SAT scores the difference between 10 and 20 is 100 points and the difference between 10 and 51 is 200 pints. So if mom and dad can afford to pay for a few sessions that can improve your score by 100-150 it makes a big difference in how people view your district.
http://patch.com/new-[lacrosse]/huntingto...hools-sat-scores-ranked-highest-lowest-0 [/quote]

Ever occur to you that the kids are NOT doing the work? Maybe the kids in GC , Jericho and Manhasset work harder because their parents instilled that in them. How come a school like GC excels both academically and athletically? Is that money as well? Or is it a work ethic

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

http://patch.com/new-[lacrosse]/huntingto...hools-sat-scores-ranked-highest-lowest-0 [/quote]

Ever occur to you that the kids are NOT doing the work? Maybe the kids in GC , Jericho and Manhasset work harder because their parents instilled that in them. How come a school like GC excels both academically and athletically? Is that money as well? Or is it a work ethic [/quote]

That's money too...travel lax, private lax training, speed & agility, etc

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

http://patch.com/new-[lacrosse]/huntingto...hools-sat-scores-ranked-highest-lowest-0

Ever occur to you that the kids are NOT doing the work? Maybe the kids in GC , Jericho and Manhasset work harder because their parents instilled that in them. How come a school like GC excels both academically and athletically? Is that money as well? Or is it a work ethic [/quote]

That's money too...travel lax, private lax training, speed & agility, etc [/quote]

None of you talk about the kids that are special needs that school districts kick the kids out to other districts so it doesn't effect their academic standardsk

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes we do, what's wrong with that? Always been a desirable town to live--great schools, nice neighborhoods, good people, close to RoMo, close to LIRR, lots of canals, great hospital a mile away.... What more do you need?

Thats definitely putting a positive spin on it. Closer to the truth would be mediocre schools, insanely high taxes, cliquey people, and an average at best hospital. Agree on the LIRR, close to ROMO and and lots of canals though.........

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is ROMO ? I thought he's hurt ? Really ? You people have to argue who's town is better then who's? My 2 cents ?? No town is the same as they were back in the early 80's when most of us were growing up. Can we agree on that ? And how many of you actually live in the same town you grew up in ? That's what keeps a neiborhood nice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is ROMO ? I thought he's hurt ? Really ? You people have to argue who's town is better then who's? My 2 cents ?? No town is the same as they were back in the early 80's when most of us were growing up. Can we agree on that ? And how many of you actually live in the same town you grew up in ? That's what keeps a neiborhood nice.

80's? Maybe in the late 1960's....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ever occur to you that the kids are NOT doing the work? Maybe the kids in GC , Jericho and Manhasset work harder because their parents instilled that in them. How come a school like GC excels both academically and athletically? Is that money as well? Or is it a work ethic

That's money too...travel lax, private lax training, speed & agility, etc [/quote]

None of you talk about the kids that are special needs that school districts kick the kids out to other districts so it doesn't effect their academic standardsk
[/quote]

I love how people of privilege always assume those without refuse to work hard and thats why they are in this situation. The districts you mention is a prime example of privilege. One on one SAT tutoring $5-10k. If you play sports speed and agility, shooting or whatever training $100-$300 per month. Travel lax can total almost $10k per year if the whole family is traveling out of state multiple times a year. You know the same kids with a new car as a hs junior. No none of that is not privilege. I thought everyone can afford that nut for just one kkid. What happens when you have 3 or 4 kids.

And i agree with the special needs comment also because another wonderful district Hills has one of the largest special education program. I wonder if Bayshore has the resources to move that many kids into special education so they don't bring their numbers down.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the real question not be answered on here and it is the only important question that needs to be answered is who has the best pizza and the best bagels?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the real question not be answered on here and it is the only important question that needs to be answered is who has the best pizza and the best bagels?

Ok West Islip has great pizza and bagels.......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exactly....

Time to get Pequa and Syosset back in the mix...!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Words like people of privilege is liberal nonsense. Use the right words, rich and poor. Sorry if you don't like it but lacrosse is a sport of the wealthy. Always has been always will be. Look at every roster on the big name D1 schools. All rich kids, oops sorry Hillary, people of privilege.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Words like people of privilege is liberal nonsense. Use the right words, rich and poor. Sorry if you don't like it but lacrosse is a sport of the wealthy. Always has been always will be. Look at every roster on the big name D1 schools. All rich kids, oops sorry Hillary, people of privilege.

This is true in most places, though less true on Long Island and in Upstate New [lacrosse].

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's less true, that lacrosse is a sport for the wealthy? GC, Manhaaset, West Islip, and on and on, the wealthy xommunities dominate. Even Massapequa, with a super wealthy south of Merrick is no "blue collar town"

Like Reply Quote
Page 5 of 264 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 263 264
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard