BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 33 1 2 3 4 32 33
Re: Girls 2020 - 9th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
to the poster that cited the best player on team X is pre med, I agree that the best players can write their own tickets. The top girls on each team that were coveted by every school get more latitude then the girls on the roster outside of the top handful. Look at the rosters overwhelming amount of undecided communications, liberal arts, women's studies etc. My daughter is not a top players but will get D1 money but she was turned down point blank by coaches after she said she wanted to major in engineering. Coaches weren't bending on that.

Out of curiosity, were the ones that turned her down for engineering in the Ivy league, Duke, Stanford, Northwestern or schools of that ilk?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
to the poster that cited the best player on team X is pre med, I agree that the best players can write their own tickets. The top girls on each team that were coveted by every school get more latitude then the girls on the roster outside of the top handful. Look at the rosters overwhelming amount of undecided communications, liberal arts, women's studies etc. My daughter is not a top players but will get D1 money but she was turned down point blank by coaches after she said she wanted to major in engineering. Coaches weren't bending on that.

And I'm not sure I agree that the best players are the only ones who take tough majors. In fact at the Ivies and other top academic schools, some players are recruited specifically for their grades and academics to balance out some top players that might not be as up to snuff in that area. The Ivies have an index to hit and others have a defacto index of sorts w admissions. I know several examples of girls at these schools who are not top players, who take challenging majors, and were recruited in part (maybe large part) because of their grades.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its posts like this that are just ridiculous. You post some non-sense like its a fact .Do you really think that the coaches are letting the kids they need the most and give the most money to take the most time consuming majors while the kids they give the least money to and need the least are forced to take the easy majors. Does that make any sense to anyone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its posts like this that are just ridiculous. You post some non-sense like its a fact .Do you really think that the coaches are letting the kids they need the most and give the most money to take the most time consuming majors while the kids they give the least money to and need the least are forced to take the easy majors. Does that make any sense to anyone.

I think there are certain schools where academics are important as well as lax. At those schools u see some top players take tough majors.By no means is that the norm and definitely very talented all-around kids to be able to handle it. The rest is more the way u describe. Top players taking easier majors and the backups in the tough ones if they so choose.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And I'm not sure I agree that the best players are the only ones who take tough majors. In fact at the Ivies and other top academic schools, some players are recruited specifically for their grades and academics to balance out some top players that might not be as up to snuff in that area. The Ivies have an index to hit and others have a defacto index of sorts w admissions. I know several examples of girls at these schools who are not top players, who take challenging majors, and were recruited in part (maybe large part) because of their grades.

Just like everything there is truth to both. Now the players taken with Great GPA's are there to boost the teams GPA's but some are also told or passed over because they want to utilize the University to be academiclly challenge.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just like everything there is truth to both. Now the players taken with Great GPA's are there to boost the teams GPA's but some are also told or passed over because they want to utilize the University to be academiclly challenge.

I'm sure you are right. But it wasn't our experience at the top academic schools. In fact I don't recall any of them ever pushing back on major interests other than one commenting that the girls on their team taking pre-med (there were 3 i believe in this instance) needed to do labs over the summer and they used this as an example of how you can major in anything, but certain majors are more difficult schedule wise and that they would work w the players to make it work. My daughter committed to a good academic school and the question of her major was not really an issue thru the process. So I wonder if you can point to an instance of someone being passed over because untended major at a top academic school. That would be interesting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ivy league doesn't apply to 99.5 of lax players. Those kids and those schools are special and it will always be academics first

Now you people living in fantasy land that believe coaches at non ivy schools don't push kids into certain majors go look at the National Champs North Carolina Roster- 12 excercise science, 11 undeclared, 10 communications, 1, history, 1 psych, 1 sociology, 1 geography, 1 economics, 1 nursing

Great degree from a great school but it looks like they are there to major in lacrosse and win a national championship which they did

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ivy league doesn't apply to 99.5 of lax players. Those kids and those schools are special and it will always be academics first

Now you people living in fantasy land that believe coaches at non ivy schools don't push kids into certain majors go look at the National Champs North Carolina Roster- 12 excercise science, 11 undeclared, 10 communications, 1, history, 1 psych, 1 sociology, 1 geography, 1 economics, 1 nursing

Great degree from a great school but it looks like they are there to major in lacrosse and win a national championship which they did

No question at UNC. But there are plenty of non-ivy great schools that aren't UNC style lax majors. Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, Georgetown ... If your kid is good enough @ lax to play at these places, it's a pretty great combination. Key is to be good at lax and focus on grades.

BTW the Ivy League makes up more than .5 % of D1 Lax. There are 8 Ivy League teams out of 111. More like 7%. So it doesn't apply to 93%. But when u add in the schools mentioned above, and other great academic institutions like Vanderbilt, Navy, Davidson, William & Mary, Richmond and more, you start seeing that a meaningful portion of D1 offers kids both great lacrosse and great academics. I think it does these girls a disservice to paint w such a broad brush and to use examples like UNC to say that these girls who have worked hard to get to these institutions are somehow just lax players and nothing else.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stanford roster is better but not true to Stanford overall standards and averages-
10 undecided, 5 human body, 4 engineering, 3 poly sci, 2 history, 2 anthropology

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No question at UNC. But there are plenty of non-ivy great schools that aren't UNC style lax majors. Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, Georgetown ... If your kid is good enough @ lax to play at these places, it's a pretty great combination. Key is to be good at lax and focus on grades.

BTW the Ivy League makes up more than .5 % of D1 Lax. There are 8 Ivy League teams out of 111. More like 7%. So it doesn't apply to 93%. But when u add in the schools mentioned above, and other great academic institutions like Vanderbilt, Navy, Davidson, William & Mary, Richmond and more, you start seeing that a meaningful portion of D1 offers kids both great lacrosse and great academics. I think it does these girls a disservice to paint w such a broad brush and to use examples like UNC to say that these girls who have worked hard to get to these institutions are somehow just lax players and nothing else.

Your post is ridiculous.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stanford roster is better but not true to Stanford overall standards and averages-
10 undecided, 5 human body, 4 engineering, 3 poly sci, 2 history, 2 anthropology

the undecided r because u don't declare a major until after sophomore year. the human biology majors are pre med.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Ivy league doesn't apply to 99.5 of lax players. Those kids and those schools are special and it will always be academics first

Your post is ridiculous.

Why?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Ivy league doesn't apply to 99.5 of lax players. Those kids and those schools are special and it will always be academics first

Your post is ridiculous.

Why?

Because he sez so, that's why.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since someone brought up Vanderbilt, go check them out. 80% of team takes a major called human and organizational management. 80%! Next biggest major is undecided.

Think that's a coincidence or maybe the coach has some pull?

I get that a degree from these schools is great but the point is these coaches push certain majors

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you kid get her HS schedule yet?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think that the inference is that the best players have more leverage in picking their majors than the rest of them

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your post is ridiculous.

Why?

To start the post you are replying to said lax players not D1 lax players. There are over 500 NCAA women's lax programs so the number you corrected was closer to correct than your number.(I get it you are a lacrosse snob so only D1 counts).You then go on to say no doubt about UNC when in actuality you have no idea. They have a kid getting a nursing degree who has played significant minutes that tells me if a kid wants it bad enough they can major in just about anything at UNC and still play lax. Ridiculous to think the players at Duke etc. somehow have less expectations in regard to winning national championships than those at UNC and are thus able to take any major they want. Your next point of schools that offer great lacrosse , no disrespect to many of those programs but putting them in the great lacrosse category is not exactly near correct.You then go on to say painting with such a broad brush does a disservice when in fact that is exactly what you did about every girl in the UNC program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your post is ridiculous.

Why?

To start the post you are replying to said lax players not D1 lax players. There are over 500 NCAA women's lax programs so the number you corrected was closer to correct than your number.(I get it you are a lacrosse snob so only D1 counts).You then go on to say no doubt about UNC when in actuality you have no idea. They have a kid getting a nursing degree who has played significant minutes that tells me if a kid wants it bad enough they can major in just about anything at UNC and still play lax. Ridiculous to think the players at Duke etc. somehow have less expectations in regard to winning national championships than those at UNC and are thus able to take any major they want. Your next point of schools that offer great lacrosse , no disrespect to many of those programs but putting them in the great lacrosse category is not exactly near correct.You then go on to say painting with such a broad brush does a disservice when in fact that is exactly what you did about every girl in the UNC program.

great then if we are including D3 lets include the 11 NESCAC schools and dozens of other great academic D3s like Swarthmore etc. The point is, in contradiction to the original post, there are lots of kids getting great educations at great schools and playing high level lacrosse. I guess you are the lacrosse snob though?

"no disrespect to many of those programs but putting them in the great lacrosse category is not exactly near correct." Which is it? 1st you want to call me names because I limited the universe to D1 to compare to Ivies which are all D1 and then you say that the D1 programs I have stated are not good.

And the use of UNC by the original poster to make the point that girls on top lax teams take weak majors is appropriate. UNC's academics with regard to their athletes has come under quite a bit of scrutiny lately in case you haven't seen. And the list of majors on that team is not great. So deal with it. My point was that it is not true of all schools, even some with very good lax programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your response shows what a tool you are . Never said the program's you mentioned are not good , I said their lax programs are not great , you changed the adjective because you are the type to state things as if they are a fact when you have no idea what you are talking about . Your comment about UNC academics in regard to its athletes again shows what an ignorant dope you are . The girls that are attending the school now have zero to do with that scrutiny and as a matter of fact the girls on the lax team who were in attendance during that period have never been implicated in any of it . Again you paint with that broad brush that you were opposed to someone else using because you are an ignorant tool. How about you just support the girls who have all risen to the challenge of playing a sport in college while managing to earn any degree even if it's not up to your nonsensical standard .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since someone brought up Vanderbilt, go check them out. 80% of team takes a major called human and organizational management. 80%! Next biggest major is undecided.

I get that a degree from these schools is great but the point is these coaches push certain majors

I think this proves the point that lots of kids go to college to play lacrosse first and academics 2nd. Eighty percent of any team taking the same major a little known one at that is fishy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The UNC nursing student is a transfer and a STUD so she gets to take whatever major she wants. Our middle roster kids, not so much

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You people give me a headache

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your response shows what a tool you are . Never said the program's you mentioned are not good , I said their lax programs are not great , you changed the adjective because you are the type to state things as if they are a fact when you have no idea what you are talking about . Your comment about UNC academics in regard to its athletes again shows what an ignorant dope you are . The girls that are attending the school now have zero to do with that scrutiny and as a matter of fact the girls on the lax team who were in attendance during that period have never been implicated in any of it . Again you paint with that broad brush that you were opposed to someone else using because you are an ignorant tool. How about you just support the girls who have all risen to the challenge of playing a sport in college while managing to earn any degree even if it's not up to your nonsensical standard .

You my friend are the tool. Again your tool statement:

"no disrespect to many of those programs but putting them in the great lacrosse category is not exactly near correct."

"not exactly near correct" ... tough to understand but sure sounds like you were taking a shot and the dead giveaway is when a tool like yourself says "no disrespect", It's a sure bet you are about to disrespect someone, or in this case, lots of people.

So first you want to say lets talk about all 500 lax programs and then you want to say programs in the top 10% of that group aren't exactly near great. Whatever.

The guy who made the original point about UNC is correct (it was not me). The program is absolutely lax first and academics second. Nothing wrong with that actually, if that's what you want.

"you are the type to state things as if they are a fact when you have no idea what you are talking about"

Take a look in the mirror DB. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think this proves the point that lots of kids go to college to play lacrosse first and academics 2nd. Eighty percent of any team taking the same major a little known one at that is fishy

It's one of the largest majors at Vanderbilt. Around 2000 kids in that school. It's an awesome program that actually has 5 different tracks so more like 5 majors. And is coupled w a capstone project which is an internship during jr or senior yr. It isn't fishy and it's pretty great actually.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's one of the largest majors at Vanderbilt. Around 2000 kids in that school. It's an awesome program that actually has 5 different tracks so more like 5 majors. And is coupled w a capstone project which is an internship during jr or senior yr. It isn't fishy and it's pretty great actually.

Next time Vandy is in any conversation regarding their lax team will be the first

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Next time Vandy is in any conversation regarding their lax team will be the first

Not exactly true but you probably don't know much about the history of the game. They were a final four team in 2004 and was one of the stronger programs around up until about 10 years ago. I think they should be a program that could rise up if they get the right staff. They have the ingredients. SEC budget, decent weather, good school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just agree coaches have sway! From "college board" biggest majors at Vandy are 28% social sciences, 13% engineering, 10% interdicipline studies, 8% biology.

Sorry none of them are 80% like the team. This coach like so many others is pushing kids into certain majors so they can play lacrosse 40 hours a week while keeping their grades up

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"no disrespect to many of those programs but putting them in the great lacrosse category is not exactly near correct."

"not exactly near correct" ... tough to understand but sure sounds like you were taking a shot and the dead giveaway is when a tool like yourself says "no disrespect", It's a sure bet you are about to disrespect someone, or in this case, lots of people.

So first you want to say lets talk about all 500 lax programs and then you want to say programs in the top 10% of that group aren't exactly near great. Whatever.

The guy who made the original point about UNC is correct (it was not me). The program is absolutely lax first and academics second. Nothing wrong with that actually, if that's what you want.

"you are the type to state things as if they are a fact when you have no idea what you are talking about"

"So first you want to say lets talk about all 500 lax programs and then you want to say programs in the top 10% of that group aren't exactly near great. Whatever. "

Wrong again Einstein, most of the schools you named are not in the top 10% .You keep proving my point that you state things as facts that are just wrong.

The fact that you are now saying tool just tells me that in some sort of way you idolize what I am saying and is a little creepy.

Definitely not your friend as it is obvious to me that is something you clearly do not have.

You seemed to have backed off your "great lacrosse" statement about those schools does that indicate you are taking a shot at them also.

To say a program is lax first and academics second is just ignorant. Any program is made up of individuals who have different priorities.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this really happening??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well at least coaches aren't putting their players in the basket weaving classes of the 70's, but they are steering them into the majors the coaches want

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The UNC nursing student is a transfer and a STUD so she gets to take whatever major she wants. Our middle roster kids, not so much

Seriously , are you really pretending to have a kid on the team , what a loser .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whats the feel on everyone's teams? full groups coming back?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"So first you want to say lets talk about all 500 lax programs and then you want to say programs in the top 10% of that group aren't exactly near great. Whatever. "

Wrong again Einstein, most of the schools you named are not in the top 10% .You keep proving my point that you state things as facts that are just wrong.

The fact that you are now saying tool just tells me that in some sort of way you idolize what I am saying and is a little creepy.

Definitely not your friend as it is obvious to me that is something you clearly do not have.

You seemed to have backed off your "great lacrosse" statement about those schools does that indicate you are taking a shot at them also.

To say a program is lax first and academics second is just ignorant. Any program is made up of individuals who have different priorities.

You're a dumb dude.

Good luck to the girls in this age group that entering the recruiting process. For many it is starting already.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're a dumb dude.

Good luck to the girls in this age group that entering the recruiting process. For many it is starting already.

Haven't taken a high school class but ready to pick a college sounds about right

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're a dumb dude.

Haven't taken a high school class but ready to pick a college sounds about right

Is what it is.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're a dumb dude.

Is what it is.

So I guess I should be happy that my daughter is a bottom of the roster player so we won't have to decide for another 2 or 3 years

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're a dumb dude.

You sound like a genius . Could not help but let us know your little superstar is being recruited so early .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're a dumb dude.

You sound like a genius . Could not help but let us know your little superstar is being recruited so early .

Don't be so bitter.
Anyone know whether the new high school rules will be used in high school age groups at club tournaments? Kicking the ball is allowed now and holding at restraining line until possession on the draw.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not bitter at all , just tired of know it all blabber mouths like yourself . Now tell us all the schools that are recruiting your daughter prior to her being out of diapers , you know you want to.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not bitter at all , just tired of know it all blabber mouths like yourself . Now tell us all the schools that are recruiting your daughter prior to her being out of diapers , you know you want to.

I believe you seem to think you know it all. You really have a problem. You should probably listen more and talk less.

Page 2 of 33 1 2 3 4 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard