BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 79 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 78 79
Re: Welcome Philadelphia & Vicinity
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Rising sons is good
They seem it. We were at the tryout and are going to play there this year. Tryout was one of the best run tryouts we have been to. They coached the kids up in a way not to interfere with reps. Fast paced position specific drills. It was really good.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it worth attending a prospect camp for a 2021 player?
Not till Summer. If you do it in the Fall its just to see where you match up in your class and get your eyes opened on what to expect. If you are an Attack you better be ready to run the ball out because that may be the only time you touch it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This has all changed after tryouts
What are the best Philly teams in each age group?
????

2021 – Mesa
2022 – Freedom
2023 – Brotherly Love
2024 – Brotherly Love

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Little doubt that Dukes was at one time a great program. As Philadelphpians we should be proud of what they accomplished. With their split from HHH they will slowyly fade away. There is no long term success without a "farm system" and their atttempt to replace HHH with Dukes (insert geography here) was a total failure of epic proportions. It only tarnished their name and diminshed their stature. Like most divorces both sides are left reduced. There will be a new elite team that replaces them the only question is whom. My guess either NXT or Mesa.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Little doubt that Dukes was at one time a great program. As Philadelphpians we should be proud of what they accomplished. With their split from HHH they will slowyly fade away. There is no long term success without a "farm system" and their atttempt to replace HHH with Dukes (insert geography here) was a total failure of epic proportions. It only tarnished their name and diminshed their stature. Like most divorces both sides are left reduced. There will be a new elite team that replaces them the only question is whom. My guess either NXT or Mesa.

The days of the "one" elite program are long gone, too many clubs have popped up. IMO, too many dads starting clubs so their little Johnny can play with his "elite" buddies. When Dukes was elite it was because they were basically the only option and kids were invited. That isn't what happens now

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This has all changed after tryouts
What are the best Philly teams in each age group?
????

2021 – Mesa
2022 – Freedom
2023 – Brotherly Love
2024 – Brotherly Love

See everyone at fall brawl?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How has it changed?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How has it changed?
We shall all see.......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The days of the "one" elite program are long gone, too many clubs have popped up. IMO, too many dads starting clubs so their little Johnny can play with his "elite" buddies. When Dukes was elite it was because they were basically the only option and kids were invited. That isn't what happens now
Yeah but this is what keeps it so much fun. Keeps all the original lax bro's on their toes. Because of some of these programs the top clubs are getting exposed for lack of training and coaching. I'd agree that NXT may be the sleeping Giant. They have had some great success quietly. Over 60 D1 Commits! I think thats in like 5 years. They seem to have to most consistency and looks like with Sons pushing their 2020 kids over they could begin to dominate the Philly market from this year on out. Their 2019 team is very strong. They beat Mesa 2019 really bad this past year. Their 2018 team won the Summer Invite.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My advice, and I have been around sports at a very competitive level my entire life as a player any coach.
1. Find the club that fits your family's needs. That could be a hyper-competitive team, and if your child's goal is to play division 1 lacrosse this is what you could want. And, don't get me wrong, you don't HAVE to do this to play d1.
2. If your family is looking for a team that will provide opportunities to play a game they love but you aren't really concerned about being hyper-competitive (that is not for everyone) then find a nice B level team.
3. Have your kids play multiple sports, and this should happen all the way through HS. Cross training is not only good for developing an all around good athlete, it gives the kid a chance to develop skills that will help their "primary" sport. For example, basketball helps with footwork in lacrosse. I also wholeheartedly believe kids need a break from every sport from time to time. One sport kids who are pushed by over zealous parents have a very high burn out rate.
4. Most importantly make sure your kid is hitting the books more than they are concentrating on any sport. Very few kids we be professional athletes and the real scholarship money is given for academics.

As we are all looking for the "perfect" club for our kids, I wish you all the best. Some of the best conversations I have had with my kids have happened in the car on the way to or home from practices/games/tournaments. I just love watching my kids grow and learn and MOST importantly love the sports they are playing. There is nothing better than being part of a team, good luck finding the one that suits your needs!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My neighbor started one of the daddy clubs and I know it had nothing to do with "Johnny playing with his elite buddies" It had everything to do with the established programs and their obvious money grab. Let's call a spade a spade. When programs like Mesa and NXT along with girl's programs like Ultimate are charging an average of $2,000 to play elementary school club lacrosse that is nothing more than a money grab. Another friend was stunned when Ultimate said that her daughter was going to have to pay $1,500 to play 5th grade girls lacrosse from one of the above club. Mesa is charging $2,000. On top of that all these clubs always have at least 20+ kids on each team. That comes out to 40K+ PER TEAM often with two teams at each grade. Doing some fancy math ...that is 80K PER GRADE...It has nothing to do with Johnny. On top of that most of the teams are staffed with college kids more concerned about partying. If you are playing for one of the above teams.....Grab your ankles and don't expect any lube.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My neighbor started one of the daddy clubs and I know it had nothing to do with "Johnny playing with his elite buddies" It had everything to do with the established programs and their obvious money grab. Let's call a spade a spade. When programs like Mesa and NXT along with girl's programs like Ultimate are charging an average of $2,000 to play elementary school club lacrosse that is nothing more than a money grab. Another friend was stunned when Ultimate said that her daughter was going to have to pay $1,500 to play 5th grade girls lacrosse from one of the above club. Mesa is charging $2,000. On top of that all these clubs always have at least 20+ kids on each team. That comes out to 40K+ PER TEAM often with two teams at each grade. Doing some fancy math ...that is 80K PER GRADE...It has nothing to do with Johnny. On top of that most of the teams are staffed with college kids more concerned about partying. If you are playing for one of the above teams.....Grab your ankles and don't expect any lube.
You obvious don't have a clue. Some of these clubs that are charging $2000+ are giving 4 seasons of training. 6 years ago it was always around $1000/Summer. When indoor space is $250/hr and you do 16 hours of training that number adds up. Add a paid professional in there and a winter session could cost $400/kid. If a club is only charging $1500/year you are not getting much at all. I would agree with you on the clubs with a 2nd team. There is usually some profit in there from that team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My advice, and I have been around sports at a very competitive level my entire life as a player any coach.
1. Find the club that fits your family's needs. That could be a hyper-competitive team, and if your child's goal is to play division 1 lacrosse this is what you could want. And, don't get me wrong, you don't HAVE to do this to play d1.
2. If your family is looking for a team that will provide opportunities to play a game they love but you aren't really concerned about being hyper-competitive (that is not for everyone) then find a nice B level team.
3. Have your kids play multiple sports, and this should happen all the way through HS. Cross training is not only good for developing an all around good athlete, it gives the kid a chance to develop skills that will help their "primary" sport. For example, basketball helps with footwork in lacrosse. I also wholeheartedly believe kids need a break from every sport from time to time. One sport kids who are pushed by over zealous parents have a very high burn out rate.
4. Most importantly make sure your kid is hitting the books more than they are concentrating on any sport. Very few kids we be professional athletes and the real scholarship money is given for academics.

As we are all looking for the "perfect" club for our kids, I wish you all the best. Some of the best conversations I have had with my kids have happened in the car on the way to or home from practices/games/tournaments. I just love watching my kids grow and learn and MOST importantly love the sports they are playing. There is nothing better than being part of a team, good luck finding the one that suits your needs!

Excellent post, well said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your response is comical, if you don't think a club charging 2k per kid for 10 year olds is making $ I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
40k per team they are making at least 15k...if not more.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your response is comical, if you don't think a club charging 2k per kid for 10 year olds is making $ I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
You clearly have no idea. And are just angry because your kid probably got kid from one of these programs. Here some quick math for you mr. accountant. $18k for tourneys/leagues, $10k+ for coaches 4 seasons, $10k for field rentals, then you have supplies, insurance, uniforms Plus $$ for those who may need help. Do the math.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You clearly have no idea. And are just angry because your kid probably got kid from one of these programs. Here some quick math for you mr. accountant. $18k for tourneys/leagues, $10k+ for coaches 4 seasons, $10k for field rentals, then you have supplies, insurance, uniforms Plus $$ for those who may need help. Do the math.

You are cleary stoned. 18k for tourney fees. What tournaments are you going to? The most expensive standard tournaments are less than 2k. That is before you factor in multi team discounts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are cleary stoned. 18k for tourney fees. What tournaments are you going to? The most expensive standard tournaments are less than 2k. That is before you factor in multi team discounts.
OK so 5 x 1800, 3 fall events, 2 winter, spring league. What are you smoking? These one day events are $1200. Team discount of $100 haha

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes and some of the events are now $4-5K or even more.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
haha, these clubs aren't going to the liberty shootout knuckle head. Their going to things like Crabfeast, NXT cup, etc. Not the Hershey park classic

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's look at the numbers. Youth/HS club lacrosse has become a HUGE money making machine. It is hysterical how much families are putting out for this "elite" experience. Let's look at the costs:
4 years of private school (because of course the training and exposure will be superior there): each year about 30,000 = 120,000
Of course that isn't good enough, so throw in 6th-8th grade at another 30,000 per year=90,000
Travel team (rising 6th-rising 12th) 2,000 per year = 12,000
Extra fees for "important"recruiting tournaments (let's say they do 2 per summer grades 9-12) 400 each = 3,200
Individual showcase events (I will estimate 3 per year, however, the real die-Hard is doing upwards of 10) 500 each(also probably low) =6,000
Don't forget "prospect days" maybe 6 over the years 500 each = 3,000
Since Johnny is "elite" he needs to train more than anyone else so you will spend at least 1,000 per year on extra training, individual lessons = 6,000
Need speed, agility and strength training 500 per year (probably more) = 3,000
Total costs for your "star" lacrosse player: $243,200

Let's look at return, because of course all of the money will pay off! Let's say your player is offered a "commitment". We all know players are getting partial scholarships. We will look at 25% and 10%, because most will be 10 or less.

Private college:
Estimate 60,000 per year, 25% for 4 years will be $60,000
10% over 4 years will be 24,000

Public college: estimated cost $33,000 per year, 25% for 4 years will be $33,000
10% over 4 years will be $13,200

Wow, just wow....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's look at the numbers. Youth/HS club lacrosse has become a HUGE money making machine. It is hysterical how much families are putting out for this "elite" experience. Let's look at the costs:
4 years of private school (because of course the training and exposure will be superior there): each year about 30,000 = 120,000
Of course that isn't good enough, so throw in 6th-8th grade at another 30,000 per year=90,000
Extra fees for "important"recruiting tournaments (let's say they do 2 per summer grades 9-12) 400 each = 3,200
Individual showcase events (I will estimate 3 per year, however, the real die-Hard is doing upwards of 10) 500 each(also probably low) =6,000
Since Johnny is "elite" he needs to train more than anyone else so you will spend at least 1,000 per year on extra training, individual lessons = 6,000

Let's look at return, because of course all of the money will pay off! Let's say your player is offered a "commitment". We all know players are getting partial scholarships. We will look at 25% and 10%, because most will be 10 or less.

Private college:

Public college: estimated cost $33,000 per year, 25% for 4 years will be $33,000

Wow, just wow....
Because parents are paying 30k to just play lacrosse and not to get an education at private High School? Loser mentality. Wait you bought a $400k house but borrowed the money and now will end up paying $900k for it? Wow just wow

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait i'm the guy selling the bridge not you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Private college:

Wow, just wow....
Because parents are paying 30k to just play lacrosse and not to get an education at private High School? Loser mentality. Wait you bought a $400k house but borrowed the money and now will end up paying $900k for it? Wow just wow

Some people are there for the education(IMO misguided), but a good majority are there for lacrosse and lacrosse only. That is a fact. And you are right, they at losers

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Private college:

Wow, just wow....

Some people are there for the education(IMO misguided), but a good majority are there for lacrosse and lacrosse only. That is a fact. And you are right, they at losers
Just cause your son or daughter goes to a crappy public school in PA don't knock the private school kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Private college:

Wow, just wow....

Hey don't knock the private schools, your Boss went to one and he signs your check

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Private college:

Wow, just wow....

Just cause your son or daughter goes to a crappy public school in PA don't knock the private school kids.

How is pointing out the cost "knocking" a private school? And, if you think public schools are "crappy" you are sadly mistaken. Have you ever looked at a course catalog at a top public? Trust me, the opportunities at a big public far pass a small private, the small private just doesn't have the staff to accommodate a real variety of courses, not to mention the teachers at privates don't get paid a whole lot, so the best teachers go where they can earn a decent living. Obviously not going to change your mind, once you have sipped the private school "kool aid" you actually believe it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Private college:

Wow, just wow....

How is pointing out the cost "knocking" a private school? And, if you think public schools are "crappy" you are sadly mistaken. Have you ever looked at a course catalog at a top public? Trust me, the opportunities at a big public far pass a small private, the small private just doesn't have the staff to accommodate a real variety of courses, not to mention the teachers at privates don't get paid a whole lot, so the best teachers go where they can earn a decent living. Obviously not going to change your mind, once you have sipped the private school "kool aid" you actually believe it.
Because you literally said in parentheses "because of course the training and exposure will be superior there" Thats not a knock? Kool aid comment not a knock? Private schools offer a lot more outside of the "core curriculum" public schools are required to teach. It has been worth every penny. Even though its really expensive, the experience in and around the classroom is worth it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Losing focus here folks, this isn't an education forum.....let's get back to insulting each other, accusing each of other of cheating, and overanylzing youth sports, when we should be working and trying to climb the corporate ladder.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Private college:

Wow, just wow....

I wish school would start so you could go back to you day job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Private college:

Wow, just wow....

Because you literally said in parentheses "because of course the training and exposure will be superior there" Thats not a knock? Kool aid comment not a knock? Private schools offer a lot more outside of the "core curriculum" public schools are required to teach. It has been worth every penny. Even though its really expensive, the experience in and around the classroom is worth it.
You sound like a public school teacher. What experience if any do you with a private school. There are about 15 school districts in PA that are worth going to. Unless your school is in Chester County it is very doubtful you are at one of them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
New Topic: How good will this new NXT High School team be? Will kids leave other top clubs to tryout? They blew twitter up with the coaching staff and the tryout. Thoughts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
New Topic: How good will this new NXT High School team be? Will kids leave other top clubs to tryout? They blew twitter up with the coaching staff and the tryout. Thoughts?

Every single club is blowing up feeds with tryout info, they are no different

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually, my kids all went to CB West, which is also an amazing school. Through sports (I have 3 kids that all played multiple sports and my 2020 son is my youngest), I have met many amazing families from all over SE PA. You sound incredibly silly when you say "there are only 15 good schools in PA and they are all in Chester county". There are AMAZING public schools in Bucks, Montgomery and Delaware counties, in fact there are great public schools in every county in our state. You say I sound like a teacher, well, I am not, I own my own company. You ask how I know? Well, let me tell you some experience I have had.
1. A friend of mine decided to try a private school because it really was sold to them as a very strong academic experience. Their sons, who live in the Pheonixville SD, ended up lasting at this "elite" school for 3 months, they were not being challenged and their parents realized it was a giant waste of money. Not to mention, they thought their sons were going to suffer academically in the long run.
2. Another family I know has children who have gotten into Ivey schools, they attended the Rose Tree Media Schools district
3. Another friend had a son get a perfect score on their math SAT, they went to Spring Ford
If you feel the need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for your kids to go to a private school, more power to you. However, you are very misinformed (or just plain dumb) when you say there aren't good public schools all over the place.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to agree. Went to public school myself and graduated with some great kids that went to great colleges and are extremely successful. Not that private schools can't and don't mirror that success. However, the institution doesn't make the individual. I personally know private school graduates that I wouldn't hire to walk my dog but also the same applies to people I konw that went to public school. Cream always rises to the top irrespective.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any thoughts on NXT 2020?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many times are you going to ask this question? It is another club, some people will want to be part, some won't. Don't know what you are fishing for

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They are going to be very similar in quality to Sons 2020. With 2-3 minor changes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They are going to be very similar in quality to Sons 2020. With 2-3 minor changes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will be very curious to see what happens with the 2020 NXT team. Over 100 kids at tryouts. Seems like the previous poster thinks all of the former rising sons are shoe ins, I guess time will tell if NXT picks the best or if the tryout is a farce

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will be very curious to see what happens with the 2020 NXT team. Over 100 kids at tryouts. Seems like the previous poster thinks all of the former rising sons are shoe ins, I guess time will tell if NXT picks the best or if the tryout is a farce
Doubt it. Coaches said 125 kids, maybe some come tomorrow. Sons definitely will fill spots but maybe 10-12? Not sure there were a few Malvern helmets there that I'm assuming may be Sons as well. All the MP helmets could play. Definitely more than 2-3 changes. HHH helmets that were there may be 2-3 that looked legit. There was a ton of talent. Dukes, HHH, Sons, Mesa all in the mix. We will not be going back. Clearly my kid has not shot.

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 79 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 78 79
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard