BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
Girls 2020 - 9th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
It's the start of the Fall 2016/Spring 2017 season. Use this thread for your posts regarding this age group

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls 2020 - 9th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is this 2020 thread so quiet? What's going on with this age group here on Long Island?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why is this 2020 thread so quiet? What's going on with this age group here on Long Island?

2021 has taken the mantle as the psychotic age group going forward

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ha ha now that's funny!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think lots of the unhappy B and C players have started to throw in the towel and the age group will shrink again. Mom and Dad realizing that they have been sold a bill of goods. Their kids don't love it, the parents cant force it and a summer of expensive travel just isn't worth it.

"A" parents are usually quiet until they start jumping up and down about their kids verbal

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, that's a deep theory but I think it was something a bit more simple like the topic thread wasn't activated until yesterday. Look at the number of views vs posts. Would be hard to believe that many people could look yet resist saying something.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, that's a deep theory but I think it was something a bit more simple like the topic thread wasn't activated until yesterday. Look at the number of views vs posts. Would be hard to believe that many people could look yet resist saying something.

Actually, both the 2020 and 2021 threads were made active on 8/8.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Have you looked at the 2022's thread? May be the craziest, especially since YJ isn't the best team in that age division on LI there are some teams that beat them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Have you looked at the 2022's thread? May be the craziest, especially since YJ isn't the best team in that age division on LI there are some teams that beat them.

Are you sure? I know the 2023 age groups are a weak mess, did not know 2022 had lost to a LI team. Who did they lose to?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you sure? I know the 2023 age groups are a weak mess, did not know 2022 had lost to a LI team. Who did they lose to?

Meant 2023... Sorry

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Meant 2023... Sorry

2023-loaded with f&f no need to say anything more

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Why is this 2020 thread so quiet? What's going on with this age group here on Long Island?

Meant 2023... Sorry

CR will fix the 2023 age group. First order of business is to draw the TG girls to her program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Why is this 2020 thread so quiet? What's going on with this age group here on Long Island?

Meant 2023... Sorry

CR will fix the 2023 age group. First order of business is to draw the TG girls to her program.

too late 2023 girls are already leaving and going to TG

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
See what I mean, sorry I brought the crazy 2023's to this thread.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many in our circle are pulling the plug and not trying out for next year. Anyone else seeing that? Parents realizing kids aren't the strongest and using the entry to HS and all the academic honors stuff as an excuse. It didn't help that we had a very unbalanced summer schedule and their kids weren't played a lot.

Do lots of kids usually drop out as they enter HS?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many in our circle are pulling the plug and not trying out for next year. Anyone else seeing that? Parents realizing kids aren't the strongest and using the entry to HS and all the academic honors stuff as an excuse. It didn't help that we had a very unbalanced summer schedule and their kids weren't played a lot.

Do lots of kids usually drop out as they enter HS?

"all the academic honors stuff as an excuse"

Definitely on point here. Books and stuff are annoying and there's like zero money by way of academics rewards

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that's ok..there's plenty ok travel lax Kool-Aid for the rest of us...yum,yum gimme some Mr./Mr.'s director

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tons more choices and money for academics but parents always push sports because it's cooler and most are idiots

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ideally you are looking to get the most for both. Some are great athletes and some are very bright. It's doing well at both for a sustained period of time that's difficult.
If I had to choose I would hope for my kids to be brilliant and could care less if they played lacrosse. Lacrosse is over after your senior year, then who cares how good you WERE.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ideally you are looking to get the most for both. Some are great athletes and some are very bright. It's doing well at both for a sustained period of time that's difficult.
If I had to choose I would hope for my kids to be brilliant and could care less if they played lacrosse. Lacrosse is over after your senior year, then who cares how good you WERE.

amen

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just dropped my oldest off at a ncaa top 20 ranked school and the funny thing is she doesn't even play lacrosse!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would you post that on a lax forum? No one cares.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe you should go back to college ..its I "couldn't care less"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just dropped my oldest off at a ncaa top 20 ranked school and the funny thing is she doesn't even play lacrosse!

99.9 percent of the student body population at these schools don't play lacrosse, what is your point?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe you should go back to college ..its I "couldn't care less"

Maybe you should join them; "its" should be "it's" the contraction of "it is". lol

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My point was who cares when and what lacrosse school anybody commits to. Eventually most kids commit to some school that will assist their future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I get it, and I love it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I get it, and I love it!

I guess in the end you picked academics over lacrosse which is the way it should be, but 99% of parents on here will have their kid playing in college even if they play at a school that is beneath them. My older daughter has some friends playing in places and at schools that no one has ever heard of because a coach showed interest from a 1200 kid school with a $50,000 pricetag and a 75 GPA

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I get it, and I love it!

I guess in the end you picked academics over lacrosse which is the way it should be, but 99% of parents on here will have their kid playing in college even if they play at a school that is beneath them. My older daughter has some friends playing in places and at schools that no one has ever heard of because a coach showed interest from a 1200 kid school with a $50,000 pricetag and a 75 GPA

And then there are the kids that are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it (including most great students who are not athletes). The vast majority of great students are still not getting into Ivy leagues, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke etc. So lax can be a great help in getting into amazing academic institutions. And to original poster, I hope it's a top 20 US News Ranked academic school. Now that is something to crow about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid is at a top 10 school went there to play lacrosse average student and the byproduct is a great education !!!!

I get it, and I love it! [/quote]

I guess in the end you picked academics over lacrosse which is the way it should be, but 99% of parents on here will have their kid playing in college even if they play at a school that is beneath them. My older daughter has some friends playing in places and at schools that no one has ever heard of because a coach showed interest from a 1200 kid school with a $50,000 pricetag and a 75 GPA [/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I get it, and I love it!

And then there are the kids that are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it (including most great students who are not athletes). The vast majority of great students are still not getting into Ivy leagues, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke etc. So lax can be a great help in getting into amazing academic institutions. And to original poster, I hope it's a top 20 US News Ranked academic school. Now that is something to crow about.

So they "are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it" - in other words a school they are not qualified to attend based on their academic record. And then you add to that a year-round, full time job (lacrosse) and the travel that goes with it. Sounds like you are setting your daughter up for failure - all to play a sport with minimal prospects for post graduation employment. Put ego aside and make the right choice for the future, you'll feel better about it 10 years from now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Exactly

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

So they "are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it" - in other words a school they are not qualified to attend based on their academic record. And then you add to that a year-round, full time job (lacrosse) and the travel that goes with it. Sounds like you are setting your daughter up for failure - all to play a sport with minimal prospects for post graduation employment. Put ego aside and make the right choice for the future, you'll feel better about it 10 years from now. [/quote]

Totally agree, these kids that stretch to get into these schools aren't taking engineering or sciences. They are taking basic degrees albeit from a great school. But if your kid wants to be a doctor, nurse, architect or engineer put them in the right school from day one lacrosse be damned you can still be a JV or middle school lacrosse coach. For that all you need is a pulse!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So they "are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it" - in other words a school they are not qualified to attend based on their academic record. And then you add to that a year-round, full time job (lacrosse) and the travel that goes with it. Sounds like you are setting your daughter up for failure - all to play a sport with minimal prospects for post graduation employment. Put ego aside and make the right choice for the future, you'll feel better about it 10 years from now. [/quote]

Totally agree, these kids that stretch to get into these schools aren't taking engineering or sciences. They are taking basic degrees albeit from a great school. But if your kid wants to be a doctor, nurse, architect or engineer put them in the right school from day one lacrosse be damned you can still be a JV or middle school lacrosse coach. For that all you need is a pulse![/quote]

Not true, but keep telling yourself that. Best player at Stanford is a product design major. Best two-way midfielder at Northwestern is an engineering major. Best two-way midfielder at Notre dame is pre-med. Not to mention the IVY league where tons of kids are balancing tough majors/academics and tough lax. Is it for everyone, no way. But for those who can handle it, it is amazing. And they would be at the top of my pile to hire after school. And just because lax helps these kids get into these schools, it does not mean they r not qualified students. You apparently don't know the statistics relative to "regular" admissions into these schools. A huge number of "qualified" students don't get in. Kids with perfect SAT scores, 4.0 GPAs in honors and AP classes, dozens of impressive extra-curriculars etc. And you know what? If once they get there the lax on top of the academics is overwhelming, they can quit lax and they still get to stay at Harvard, Stanford Duke etc. So keep putting down these girls who work their asses off to get good grades and excel in a sport like lax, all-the-while telling yourself that your kid and your way of thinking is better. And for the record, you don't "put your kid" in a school, they actually have to get in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Totally agree, these kids that stretch to get into these schools aren't taking engineering or sciences. They are taking basic degrees albeit from a great school. But if your kid wants to be a doctor, nurse, architect or engineer put them in the right school from day one lacrosse be damned you can still be a JV or middle school lacrosse coach. For that all you need is a pulse![/quote]

Why is that so many driven, successful people were collegiate athletes? It's because the drive and determination it takes to become that good at a sport are the same qualities that translate to being successful in many endeavors. It doesn't have to be an either or choice for many. Maybe it does for your kid. For mine, I let them follow their dreams, both academically and athletically. Too bad yours doesn't have your support.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I get it, and I love it!

So they "are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it" - in other words a school they are not qualified to attend based on their academic record. And then you add to that a year-round, full time job (lacrosse) and the travel that goes with it. Sounds like you are setting your daughter up for failure - all to play a sport with minimal prospects for post graduation employment. Put ego aside and make the right choice for the future, you'll feel better about it 10 years from now.

I guess you haven't gone through the college acceptance process yet. Being from Long Island and a certain demographic if you are not a legacy it is next to impossible to get into some schools specifically the Ivys without something putting you over the top. if someone uses lacrosse to make that happen and set up the rest of their life good for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I get it, and I love it!

You clearly don't understand the statistics. I'm betting you would say a 3.8 GPA in all Honors and AP classes, 1450 on your SATs , president of three clubs, a national science award or two etc would represent someone whose academic record would be fairly qualified to be at just about any school. And the truth is, a student like that would be just fine anywhere in the country, including Stanford, Harvard or Princeton. Yet that profile is an almost certain reject at those schools without an additional "hook" such as sports. So yeah, using lax as a way for a good student to get into a great school does make a lot of sense. Sounds like you don't believe in your daughter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I made the comment above that included "in other words a school they are not qualified to attend based on their academic record." That's what I thought the previous commenter was implying. Not putting down qualified, driven student athletes who need a little push to get over the hump. I was referring to those who use sports to put themselves in a bad situation academically - in a school they have no business being in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I made the comment above that included "in other words a school they are not qualified to attend based on their academic record." That's what I thought the previous commenter was implying. Not putting down qualified, driven student athletes who need a little push to get over the hump. I was referring to those who use sports to put themselves in a bad situation academically - in a school they have no business being in.

"And then there are the kids that are using lacrosse to get into better academic schools than most can get into without it (including most great students who are not athletes). The vast majority of great students are still not getting into Ivy leagues, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke etc. So lax can be a great help in getting into amazing academic institutions. And to original poster, I hope it's a top 20 US News Ranked academic school. Now that is something to crow about."

this is the post u originally responded to. I don't think it implies what u r stating. Ultimately I think we agree that "fit" is important. You likely don't want your daughter at a place where they r overwhelmed or feel inferior and self-conscious. It is important to consider their abilities and not let the "glamour" of a top academic school blind you to the best fit for them. But for those that can "hack it", using lax as a means to get into otherwise almost impossible schools can really set them up for success in the future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
to the poster that cited the best player on team X is pre med, I agree that the best players can write their own tickets. The top girls on each team that were coveted by every school get more latitude then the girls on the roster outside of the top handful. Look at the rosters overwhelming amount of undecided communications, liberal arts, women's studies etc. My daughter is not a top players but will get D1 money but she was turned down point blank by coaches after she said she wanted to major in engineering. Coaches weren't bending on that.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard