BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,672
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 30 of 220 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WOW! Lots to take in....with that said, we are new to the whole lacrosse club thing, and my daughter just made one of the 2020 teams, so we are at the beginning of this. I came on BOTC to learn and gain some insight into being a part of a club, but I'm starting to think that I am going to either stay off this site or just let everything I read roll off me. I have been able to gain some truly helpful and informative information, so I guess that's what I will focus on. The other stuff...I guess I'll have to disinfect my eyes. My daughter is very happy to be a part of TG, and excited about this new experience. I suppose along the way we will have to take the bad with the good. Hopefully more good than bad...and we'll stick with it as long as my daughter is enjoying herself. Good Luck to everyone!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think it's obvious that teams were formed 8 days after tryouts, after a booze vacation. How could the prospects be fresh in anyones head after that?? Were last years coaches given any input? Is TG so desperate to have former YJ on the 17/18 teams that they may have cut their nose to spite their face? Let's just hope we dont have another group of girls who don't pass. And yes, my daughter is on black, just very dissapointed at a few of the girls who were moved, not all-and VERY surprised at 1 who stayed. New additions already flapping there traps about how after the season they will have to make room for more of their friends who didn't try out. Time will tell. To the girls who were moved to purple- you still have fans on black and we intend on cheering you on at every game.

So, are you saying that 2017 purple is getting some strong players/good people from last year's black team?

I would think so. Based on last season, it looked like 2017 was the black roster most in need of significant turnover/upgrades.

At least 2 of those selcted to black will NOT be accepting their spots. Does that mean the organization draws from purple? Anyone know?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it's obvious that teams were formed 8 days after tryouts, after a booze vacation. How could the prospects be fresh in anyones head after that?? Were last years coaches given any input? Is TG so desperate to have former YJ on the 17/18 teams that they may have cut their nose to spite their face? Let's just hope we dont have another group of girls who don't pass. And yes, my daughter is on black, just very dissapointed at a few of the girls who were moved, not all-and VERY surprised at 1 who stayed. New additions already flapping there traps about how after the season they will have to make room for more of their friends who didn't try out. Time will tell. To the girls who were moved to purple- you still have fans on black and we intend on cheering you on at every game.

How nice , another example of TG parents welcoming all new players and ringing endorsement of those in charge.

Go back to YJ, where you see the same exact stuff...

Not exactly the same, you do not see YJ parents going after CR like your TG parent going after SS .Not sure how they know who is on your teams yet anyway as I do not think a roster has been posted. Who knows if it was even a TG parent to begin with but I have seen the TG higher ups fawning over some YJ players and practically begging them to come over.The TG 2018 vs YJ games would be close this year but your 2017 is not even close.Good luck .

Yes, you do see that with YJ also. It goes both ways...I know YJ parents that complain about CR and can't stand her, not to mention the young girls that are scared to death of her, but told they have to stay, because of her influence, recruiting, etc. It's sad, actually. Good to see some of them are escaping to other programs, that are catching up! Why are you here, on this thread anyway? Go back to that thread, and do something productive, or just be negative there instead.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter (2018) made friends at TG camp with a few girls that played on 2018 black last year. One of them made 2018 black again and requested to be moved to purple. Her stated reasoning was because she's not one of the coach's favorites. Another reason might be because she will have more opportunity to "stand out" on purple.

For 2018, I was told that five girls moved from black to purple and visa versa.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter (2018) made friends at TG camp with a few girls that played on 2018 black last year. One of them made 2018 black again and requested to be moved to purple. Her stated reasoning was because she's not one of the coach's favorites. Another reason might be because she will have more opportunity to "stand out" on purple.

By the coach, do you mean SS? One would think that playing for SS would be a good thing!

So if 5 girls moved from B to P and vice versa, does that mean that no one who didn't play for TG last year was able to make the black?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Post:
By the coach, do you mean SS? One would think that playing for SS would be a good thing!

So if 5 girls moved from B to P and vice versa, does that mean that no one who didn't play for TG last year was able to make the black?

(i) I am new to TG and have been impressed with their Camp and tryouts. However, I can't comment on the quality of anyone's coaching ability. That said, a player/student knows whether a certain coach or teacher holds them in high regard.

(ii) I have no idea how many new players made the black / purple teams. I was more focused on whether movement within the two teams is common.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WOW! Lots to take in....with that said, we are new to the whole lacrosse club thing, and my daughter just made one of the 2020 teams, so we are at the beginning of this. I came on BOTC to learn and gain some insight into being a part of a club, but I'm starting to think that I am going to either stay off this site or just let everything I read roll off me. I have been able to gain some truly helpful and informative information, so I guess that's what I will focus on. The other stuff...I guess I'll have to disinfect my eyes. My daughter is very happy to be a part of TG, and excited about this new experience. I suppose along the way we will have to take the bad with the good. Hopefully more good than bad...and we'll stick with it as long as my daughter is enjoying herself. Good Luck to everyone!

We have been involved since the beginning and it has been great. We have made life long friends and our kids have learned a lot. Your attitude is correct and if you simply laugh at the whiners and complainers and just take it easy you will be fine. WELCOME and good luck!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We have been involved since the beginning and it has been great. We have made life long friends and our kids have learned a lot. Your attitude is correct and if you simply laugh at the whiners and complainers and just take it easy you will be fine. WELCOME and good luck!

We're also new to TG, and your post is very posittive and encouraging. We're looking forward to it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know that things are not always going to be rainbows and lollipops. I'm realistic in that way. I also try to remember that our kids are only kids for a short time, and we need to enjoy that while we can. This is a very encouraging message....Thank you!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How did you find out that there were 5 new girls on 2018 Black? I know of one girl from All Stars but no one from purple.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious how people feel the Hofstra position will impact the TG players being recruited.Positives would be obviously if you want to go to Hofstra,,also it may make her more familiar with the recruiting process and what makes coaches want to recruit a player.On the negative side does it impact other coaches especially in Hofstras division ,or teams that feel like they are competing with Shannon for a player.Does it set up the appearance that she may not be advocating for a player as strong as she could if she wants that player to attend Hofstra.On another note will any YJ player be less likely to go to Hofstra considering the animosity between programs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know that things are not always going to be rainbows and lollipops. I'm realistic in that way. I also try to remember that our kids are only kids for a short time, and we need to enjoy that while we can. This is a very encouraging message....Thank you!!

Well said. For those who struggle to be civil and respectful remember what we teach our kids. "Anyone can handle success but it's how we handle adversity that is a mark of our character". Good luck to those that were selected and those that will continue to work towards their goals!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HELP. My daughter was fortunate enough to make one of the 2018 teams, incoming 7th-grader. My spouse and I are debating/yelling/battling back and forth over whether the commitment is worth it at this age. Her primary concern is whether it's "too early" to make such a large time/financial commitment. She feels that it might be better to wait a year, brush up on her skills and take try again next year. My fear is that the girls that opt to play will likely improve significantly, making it more difficult for my daughter to keep up. In short, I wonder whether we're already somewhat late to the party and frankly was surprised by our invitation.

Any thoughts / advice would be much appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How did you find out that there were 5 new girls on 2018 Black? I know of one girl from All Stars but no one from purple.

The question I posed was whether there was significant movement among black/purple teams. That is when I received the answer of "five kids moving in either direction". The person who told me may have been referring to a different class altogether, so my information may be incorrect.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious how people feel the Hofstra position will impact the TG players being recruited.Positives would be obviously if you want to go to Hofstra,,also it may make her more familiar with the recruiting process and what makes coaches want to recruit a player.On the negative side does it impact other coaches especially in Hofstras division ,or teams that feel like they are competing with Shannon for a player.Does it set up the appearance that she may not be advocating for a player as strong as she could if she wants that player to attend Hofstra.On another note will any YJ player be less likely to go to Hofstra considering the animosity between programs.

So let me get this straight, Hofstra offers your daughter a good education and some money to play lacrosse and you dont play because you had a bee on your pinney?? give me a break

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't give you any advice on if the decision is the right one for your family. I can tell you what the estimated cost for the next 5 years will be. These dollar amounts are estimated and will be approx the same no matter which club you play lax for.
Team Fee: 1,200 each year. ($6,250)Assuming fees stay constant. Hotels,meals, flights to Florida- (Gotta go Disney when there)( $6,000) Gas at $4.00 a gallon. ($100)each weekend- $500 x 5 seasons= $2500. Tolls another 30. each each weekend. Tryout fees (250.00). While at tournaments. (Daddy can I buys a T Shirt. (15.00) Let not forget gatorades & water. ($100 a season). For a grand total of $16,000 for the next five years. Just sayin! This is not a dig at TG- This is true reguardless of who you play for. Again, just sayin!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HELP. My daughter was fortunate enough to make one of the 2018 teams, incoming 7th-grader. My spouse and I are debating/yelling/battling back and forth over whether the commitment is worth it at this age. Her primary concern is whether it's "too early" to make such a large time/financial commitment. She feels that it might be better to wait a year, brush up on her skills and take try again next year. My fear is that the girls that opt to play will likely improve significantly, making it more difficult for my daughter to keep up. In short, I wonder whether we're already somewhat late to the party and frankly was surprised by our invitation.

You are certainly not too late to the party, my first thought is the financial part you can expect to pay on top of "tuition" $200 a tournament for hotels not including food, gas and tolls could be another $200 there will be 5 travel tournanments this summer for that group so..$400 to $500 a tournanment is about $2500 for a $3800 total, ask yourself if you can swing it. Secondly your daughter will definitley get better practicing and playing against better competion, this may awaken in her a drive to get better and you may find she is practicing all the time, (wall ball, taking a stick to the beach, freinds house etc..) thirdly time commitment can you get off work for friday tournamnent games? fouth. she may make some great friends, and hopefully you can do the same.
the bottom line is that it is probably never too soon to start and there are many positives to staring early, but does it work for you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kinda depends on how serious your kid is about lacrosse, and you're right, it is a big commitment. Assuming she is serious, I'm with you. Unless your plan to "brush-up" her skills is somehow better than playing club ball, she will lose ground to the kids that are playing year-round. Personnaly, I think 7th grade's about the right time to think about club sports. I know they start them earlier but I'm not a big fan of the practice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Makes no difference at all! It's whatever you guys want to do. Some of the best players started in high school so don't join out of fear shell be left behind. I can tell you my girls have been playing travel since 5th grade and I wouldn't trade the memories and experiences and friendships made for the world. It is a great family experience. Good luck!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, I'm impressed - 4 honest, sincere, helpful responses in a row with no name calling, bad mouthing or "my club's better than your club."

This shows that it can be done, let's keep it up!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter just made 2019 black. Anyone have good comments about the team? She is very excited. Only one from our town team,. I would love to tell her about some of her teammates.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I think I am really going to enjoy my daughter playing for Top Guns. It started at the tryout, where she said that the girls were all nice as could be (competitive, but nice). She has played for another elite team in the past, and is thrilled to have been chosen for Top Guns. I know that we will see a few nasty responses on this site (from people that may have an agenda or people that dont have a daughter on the team), but I have to say that I think this is going to be a great expierence.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I think I am really going to enjoy my daughter playing for Top Guns. It started at the tryout, where she said that the girls were all nice as could be (competitive, but nice). She has played for another elite team in the past, and is thrilled to have been chosen for Top Guns. I know that we will see a few nasty responses on this site (from people that may have an agenda or people that dont have a daughter on the team), but I have to say that I think this is going to be a great expierence.

Same here, from another new TG parent!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter just made 2019 black. Anyone have good comments about the team? She is very excited. Only one from our town team,. I would love to tell her about some of her teammates.

Congrats to your daughter and welcome to TG! My daughter played on 2019 Black this past season. We had a very good experience overall. The girls were very nice and very talented and the families were nice as well. I am sure not everyone would say the same but we were very happy! Hope you have a good season and a positive experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it depends on your family and your child. I will say it is a large financial commitment as well as a time commitment (in the summer). That being said for my daughter is has been a GREAT opportunity. She has grown as a player and teammate and has made some really positive friendships playing here at TG. So, if your daughter loves lacrosse and wants to grow as a player than it might be a good move for her. Good luck with your decision!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So let me get this straight, Hofstra offers your daughter a good education and some money to play lacrosse and you dont play because you had a bee on your pinney?? give me a break

Good education ,very arguable(definitely not for the money)
Possible Shanon Smith may be less likely to recruit YJ players making it less likely for a YJ player to go to Hofstra
If the choice for SS to give money to a YJ player or TG player who do you think she goes with making YJ player less likely to go to Hofstra.
If YJ let you play for them for free ,would you?
If CR were coaching a college team would you be more or less likely to go.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Possible Shanon Smith may be less likely to recruit YJ players making it less likely for a YJ player to go to Hofstra
If the choice for SS to give money to a YJ player or TG player who do you think she goes with making YJ player less likely to go to Hofstra.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think about it.... D1 Coaches are coaching for their jobs. Do you think for one second Coach Smith cares what travel programs her recruits have "paid to play"for? She will concentrate solely on getting the best talented players. she will recruit players that will improve her program . Will TG players be more likely to take a stronger look at Hofstra now rather than in the past ? Absolutely ! Look at last years Hodstra roster. It will be interesting to see if future rosters will have a majority of players from MD .something tells me the Hofstra second tier MD recruits may start to be replaced by Long Island top recruits from travel programs all over Long island ! For a D1 coach to not look at YJ Liberty / 91 Player based on petty politics perpetuated by parent (not kids) would be coaching suisidel. I wish her nothing but the best for her program and all of her future recruits .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kids just wanna play! Let them play and have FUN. For the loser parents who have nothing better to do than bash everyone on this site, GROW UP! You are useless in life. We are all on the same team. That's the Top Guns! Remember they are kids and they don't need to worry if mommy or daddy is gonna get into an argument or not! I'll say it again GROW UP!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At 22 years old, I think SS is one of the most professional and mature people I have ever met. With her appointment as Hofstra's new lacrosse coach and being associated with TG, it can only be a win win for anyone involved with TG. First of all she is known throughout the country on the lacrosse circuit, which means she knows many other college coaches and recruiters and they know her. I can only think that she will be able to open many doors for lots of girls. I also think that if she is trying to build a good team herself and there is a YJ that wants to go to and play for Hofstra, SS is professional enough to recruit that you'ng lady. If anyone was at tryouts, and heard her message she gave to the girls at the end of the tryout, anyone would know that her main message is EDUCATION to these girls. My daughter heard her loud and clear. She thanked everyone for trying out, she told them they all did a great job, but to remember that academics come first before lacrosse and anything else. she wants the girls to focus on their studies and continue to do well at school. I would have to think that if there is an academic program down the line at say Syracuse, Rutgers, Loyola, Northwestern, etc. and that is where my daughter wanted to go (instead of Hofstra), I can only think that SS could open many doors and assist my daughter in going to a school of her academic choice, where she also happens to be able to play lacrosse. Why must everyone always focus on the negative of a situation. I feel like SS being coach to Hofstra and being a part of TG is a great opportunity and a gift to everyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would rather believe that Shannon is not as petty as you parents. I have to believe she will take the best players that have interest in Hofstra no matter if that player played for Y.J. T.G. or Liberty, her ultimate goal is to win. I can't believe she would take a girl simply because of the jersey she wore for summer lax. With your theory any half decent player from West Babylon will make it to Hofstra even if there is a much stronger player from Longwood that is up against her for the same spot, it's just insane to think a D-1 coach will not take the best player period. My only thought is that if your a Y.J. player i would not spend the $1,000.00 and have Carol call Shannon, Just call yourself you'll be better off

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would rather believe that Shannon is not as petty as you parents. I have to believe she will take the best players that have interest in Hofstra no matter if that player played for Y.J. T.G. or Liberty, her ultimate goal is to win. I can't believe she would take a girl simply because of the jersey she wore for summer lax. With your theory any half decent player from West Babylon will make it to Hofstra even if there is a much stronger player from Longwood that is up against her for the same spot, it's just insane to think a D-1 coach will not take the best player period. My only thought is that if your a Y.J. player i would not spend the $1,000.00 and have Carol call Shannon, Just call yourself you'll be better off

It's nice to see that this thread has gotten much more "pro-TG", and very positive over the last few days, following all kinds of negative nonsense! Great job, and let's keep it that way! Looking forward to our first year with TG! Best of luck to all the girls who made it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Same argument YJ people make about CR at Northport program that she will play the best kid no matter who they play travel for yet TG parents will not accept the reasoning.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At 22 years old, I think SS is one of the most professional and mature people I have ever met. With her appointment as Hofstra's new lacrosse coach and being associated with TG, it can only be a win win for anyone involved with TG. First of all she is known throughout the country on the lacrosse circuit, which means she knows many other college coaches and recruiters and they know her. I can only think that she will be able to open many doors for lots of girls. I also think that if she is trying to build a good team herself and there is a YJ that wants to go to and play for Hofstra, SS is professional enough to recruit that you'ng lady. If anyone was at tryouts, and heard her message she gave to the girls at the end of the tryout, anyone would know that her main message is EDUCATION to these girls. My daughter heard her loud and clear. She thanked everyone for trying out, she told them they all did a great job, but to remember that academics come first before lacrosse and anything else. she wants the girls to focus on their studies and continue to do well at school. I would have to think that if there is an academic program down the line at say Syracuse, Rutgers, Loyola, Northwestern, etc. and that is where my daughter wanted to go (instead of Hofstra), I can only think that SS could open many doors and assist my daughter in going to a school of her academic choice, where she also happens to be able to play lacrosse. Why must everyone always focus on the negative of a situation. I feel like SS being coach to Hofstra and being a part of TG is a great opportunity and a gift to everyone.

When you say everyone you should say TG. Unless of course you live outside the 50 mile radius or want to play for one of Hofstra's division rivals and your a good player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When you say everyone you should say TG. Unless of course you live outside the 50 mile radius or want to play for one of Hofstra's division rivals and your a good player.

TG Parents - Don't even reply to these silly, negative posts...they'll go away eventually.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone who has had a daughter in 5th or 6th grade on TG in the past tell me some of the tournaments and places that you have traveled to? Obviously there is no information on the TG website yet, but I was just trying to get an idea of where we will be traveling locally and off the Island in these age groups. Thanks in advance for any information!! The positive and helpful posts have been great!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Same argument YJ people make about CR at Northport program that she will play the best kid no matter who they play travel for yet TG parents will not accept the reasoning.
Is there now, or has there ever been a girl from Northport that has played summer ball for any team that is not the Yellow Jackets

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can answer both those questions in one , If Carol rose is coaching or is in any way involved NO

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

$1000 for a phone call???? And why are you bashing Longwood?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All Tourneys are off island. Pennsylania for 2 days in June, Syracuse 2 days in july, jersey for 1 day in june, maryland for 2 days in july and delaware for 2 days in july. But it is subject to change each year. But it is 5 tourneys for most ages and 6 for the older ones.

Like Reply Quote
Page 30 of 220 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard