BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Long Island Jesters
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,660
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 58 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If you look at military academy rosters, as they go from freshman to seniors numbers dramatically decrease. Usually you have less then 12 seniors on the team. So many kids quit.

or get cut - happens a lot

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go check out the girls HS thread - 50% of all LI lacrosse girls playing in college DON'T play by their senior year. So when you are picking a school you better be going for the right reasons and not just because some 20 something year old coach at a $60,000 D3 school that no one has ever heard of asked your kid to play.

Parents need to grow up and push their kids to schools that fit them academically and socially and if lacrosse fits great but be aware that most are going to stop playing once we all stop pushing them. 5-6 hours a day all year to sit on the bench with 40 other kids isn't fun

once lacrosse is out of the equation you can always transfer to the better fit, many many college kids transfer that have never picked up a lacrosse stick - if you are a HS lacrosse player and want to play at the next level of course lacrosse will be a big part of your decision but not a big deal if you decide after a year or two to stop playing you can now stay or transfer

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you look at military academy rosters, as they go from freshman to seniors numbers dramatically decrease. Usually you have less then 12 seniors on the team. So many kids quit.

Kids get cut at regular programs all the time. When your kid quits at a regular school its so he can drink more beer or work on an internship. When kids stop playing at a military academy its because their internship consists of driving tanks, ships and planes and learning all the systems needed to keep us safe, they don't get cut. Please stop talking about these academy kids. there are hundreds of other colleges to talk about. The kids are better and less selfless than 99.9 percent of kids (mine included).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go check out the girls HS thread - 50% of all LI lacrosse girls playing in college DON'T play by their senior year. So when you are picking a school you better be going for the right reasons and not just because some 20 something year old coach at a $60,000 D3 school that no one has ever heard of asked your kid to play.

Parents need to grow up and push their kids to schools that fit them academically and socially and if lacrosse fits great but be aware that most are going to stop playing once we all stop pushing them. 5-6 hours a day all year to sit on the bench with 40 other kids isn't fun

once lacrosse is out of the equation you can always transfer to the better fit, many many college kids transfer that have never picked up a lacrosse stick - if you are a HS lacrosse player and want to play at the next level of course lacrosse will be a big part of your decision but not a big deal if you decide after a year or two to stop playing you can now stay or transfer

I disagree. If you need to transfer out of your lacrosse school once you stop playing then you were never at the right school for the right reason. You parents really need a reality check

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kids get cut at regular programs all the time. When your kid quits at a regular school its so he can drink more beer or work on an internship. When kids stop playing at a military academy its because their internship consists of driving tanks, ships and planes and learning all the systems needed to keep us safe, they don't get cut. Please stop talking about these academy kids. there are hundreds of other colleges to talk about. The kids are better and less selfless than 99.9 percent of kids (mine included).

Can we please stop fellating SA students/grads, or at least take a break for a while? The whole thing is rather painful, especially for those of us who attended an academy. Take it down a notch.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are you talking about with SA kids?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I had a few minutes so I decided to look this up.
Navy 15 seniors 11 Freshman
Army 9 Seniors 15 Freshman
Air Force 7 Seniors 19 Freshman

I guess it depends on the Academy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are you talking about with SA kids?

The creepy worship of service academy students.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many go to prep first year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

if navy has 15 seniors but only had 11 when they were freshman are you saying they sat out freshman year? Navy does not take transfers right?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm new to this thread and this website and am also not that familiar with lacrosse. I was at a swim meet last night and a parent mentioned that a sophmore in their high school had already committed to play lax at Notre Dame. Is that technically possible?

I know that in the swimming world, students can't be contacted until August 1st after their junior year and I know some very outstanding students for whom this was true. One went to Georgetown, one to Emory and another to John Hopkins.

Do different sports have different recruitment timetables? I can't believe an 'about to be' junior had a legally binding committment to play at Notre Dame.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm new to this thread and this website and am also not that familiar with lacrosse. I was at a swim meet last night and a parent mentioned that a sophmore in their high school had already committed to play lax at Notre Dame. Is that technically possible?

I know that in the swimming world, students can't be contacted until August 1st after their junior year and I know some very outstanding students for whom this was true. One went to Georgetown, one to Emory and another to John Hopkins.

Do different sports have different recruitment timetables? I can't believe an 'about to be' junior had a legally binding committment to play at Notre Dame.

Go to TY Xanders website and look at his commitment center players..the list starts at 2020 to 2016.. Over 25 Kids have committed going before starting 9th grade. Lacrosse likes their commitments young!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But what actually happens? A 9th grader visits a D1 school and the 9th grader's parents and the college coach sign some kind of document ? Does the kid get some kind of written offer from the school ?
Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But what actually happens? A 9th grader visits a D1 school and the 9th grader's parents and the college coach sign some kind of document ? Does the kid get some kind of written offer from the school ?
Thanks.

no all verbal. not binding on either side. It's like going steady in middle school. I like you, you like me, maybe we'll get married someday

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am a big fan of all the academy teams and kids but you are wrong, they do get cut

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks.

no all verbal. not binding on either side. It's like going steady in middle school. I like you, you like me, maybe we'll get married someday

Says the dad who's kid has no interest, you know the kid with no prom date. A verbal is a very serious commitment favoring the kid. The vast majority are honored by both sides

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks.

Says the dad who's kid has no interest, you know the kid with no prom date. A verbal is a very serious commitment favoring the kid. The vast majority are honored by both sides

I think a few years ago you could say that but now it's more parents and kids abusing the system for themselves. It looks good and creates interest from other schools. To be very honest I have seen kids commit that quite frankly are no where near the top of their class. Not even close . No I am not jealous because I have completed the process. I realize they are just trying to stir the pot to get other teams to want them. They may be scrambling in the end because they are not going to get other coaches to bite . My sons future coach feels the same way. maybe he is smarter then the rest or he is missing the boat but I agree with him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks.

Actually my kid is 4. No offers yet but it's early

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks.

I think a few years ago you could say that but now it's more parents and kids abusing the system for themselves. It looks good and creates interest from other schools. To be very honest I have seen kids commit that quite frankly are no where near the top of their class. Not even close . No I am not jealous because I have completed the process. I realize they are just trying to stir the pot to get other teams to want them. They may be scrambling in the end because they are not going to get other coaches to bite . My sons future coach feels the same way. maybe he is smarter then the rest or he is missing the boat but I agree with him.

Ok. So I heard about this HS sophomore who allegedly got a commitment with Notre Dame. Apparently he's 6'6". You would assume the coach has checked out his grades? Does the conversation go: "Ok. If you keep your HS GPA above 85 then I'll get you admitted but no promises on any $$" ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

if navy has 15 seniors but only had 11 when they were freshman are you saying they sat out freshman year? Navy does not take transfers right?

No, it means that on this years team there are 15 Seniors and 11 Freshman.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The problem is that the prize was once $$ that parents and players accepted has now the prize been lowered to accepting a verbal commitment. The college coaches are ecstatic. You get to put on social media how your star 9th grader is "committed" while the coaches are hysterically laughing that they didn't have to really offer you much. Back in the day, they fought over juniors and seniors and had to put their money where their mouths were. They had a good idea of your grades, a better idea of your growth, and they were jockeying over two grades of students in three or four hotbeds of lacrosse. Now there are many more kids nationally playing lacrosse. The college coaches don't have to travel to your high school games anymore and watch you play varsity. They can go to 3-4 tournaments walk from field to field and pick the best 9th and 10th graders (many of whom are probably a year older than most in their grade anyway- but that's another story,) The whole system stinks and won't be changed until some ACC team has their first verbal commitment from some 6-2 7th grader.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why even have verbal commitments? Who cares what age. Make it binding with signing. This may make both sides think twice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Verbals are non binding, check out how many girls recently de committed from Hofstra. And remember, students have to meet NCAA GPA requirements or risk becoming academically ineligible and not get in

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So much for quiet period when a coach blabs on twitter

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why even have verbal commitments? Who cares what age. Make it binding with signing. This may make both sides think twice.

NCAA recruiting rules only apply to HIGH SCHOOL students. A rising 9th is NOT a HS student until he walks in the door freshman year. No recruiting rules apply. Is the picture becoming clearer now? These rules were written when Coaches were recruiting young men in HS. Not children that two years ago were playing with GI Joe's and drawing on their driveways with chalk. I don't blame any family for trying to take advantage of the best opportunity for their child, but the wheels now are clearly off the bus.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Certain academies actually have begun fairly sizable cuts. Take a look at the recruit list for the academies, one has many more recruits per year than they plan on dressing. Cuts are a fact of life at Academies.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When does the recruiting Dead Period begin and what does that restrict? I thought it was Monday? But I was told its meaningless if you've made visits.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You cannot make face to face visits. Calls are ok and commitments can be made.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When does the recruiting Dead Period begin and what does that restrict? I thought it was Monday? But I was told its meaningless if you've made visits.

The dead period stsrts tomorrow. It basically restricts on site college visits and any in person contact. Email and phone calls are still permitted.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All also have full JV squads, so a recruited kid may still be playing, but just not on Varsity squads.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Army has no JV squad , varsity or bust.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Army has no JV squad , varsity or bust.

But they do have Army Prep. Which is for those kids they recruit late, need to boost academics or develope more athletically. It is essentially a PG program, that is free and non-binding. Kids transfer out all the time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well I don't know now, but I do know with 100% certainty, Army had a JV team, and not the prep program. Personally know a kid that played ARMY and was on JV squad AFTER doing his post grad MAPS. I also attended several JV games, and no it was not the prep school. I would give exact years but to protect privacy, but was less than 6 years ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No JV team at Army

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Then when you see on the schedule of the JUCO teams "ARMY B' who are they playing ???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think the academies cut recruits! It's more so a case of kids washing out in the first two years when they realize the military is not for them or they are struggling academically. They over recruit because 20% of the recruits leave within the first two years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Certain academies actually have begun fairly sizable cuts. Take a look at the recruit list for the academies, one has many more recruits per year than they plan on dressing. Cuts are a fact of life at Academies.

Military Academies are Military first, then academics, then athletics. Some get cut, some leave to focus on academics and many leave due to military responsibility...When a young man chooses an academy, he is seeking more than a trip to the final four...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Army B is the prep school for USMA. It is the equivalent of a Juco. Same requirements as USMA. If you don't meet academics you can go there for a year. USMAPS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is up with the high % of committed 2020 kids who are either a club coach son or a son of dad who is a buddy of a club coach....and likely more coming. wth is going on with this crazy sport. So messed up in so many ways....Other D1 sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc) must look at lax and shake their heads and laugh.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is up with the high % of committed 2020 kids who are either a club coach son or a son of dad who is a buddy of a club coach....and likely more coming. wth is going on with this crazy sport. So messed up in so many ways....Other D1 sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc) must look at lax and shake their heads and laugh.

Colleges are throwing 12 darts per year and only need to get 4 or 5 on the dart board to be successful.

Like Reply Quote
Page 21 of 58 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard