BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Girls Tryout Discussion
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
As tryouts approach it would be interesting to see who has what to say about tryouts they've attended etc.

My daughter is going to 3-4 of them in the 2020 group... Will be interesting to see turnouts as it seems lots of teams had bad to mixed results in 2020 with regard to play along with actually fielding real teams.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls Tryout Discussion
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3-4 tryouts?..that's a bunch!...
what we have found is that if your daughter is not an A player on an A team, then pretty much everything else (B teams) are an afterthought...I would guess that every program is the same...there may be an exception as far as players are concerned, but really how many coaches are scouting a meaningless B level game at a crappy tournament?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by strongARM
As tryouts approach it would be interesting to see who has what to say about tryouts they've attended etc.

My daughter is going to 3-4 of them in the 2020 group... Will be interesting to see turnouts as it seems lots of teams had bad to mixed results in 2020 with regard to play along with actually fielding real teams.

What club tryouts will your daughter be attending and why are you leaving your previous club? This 2020 age group is a mess should be very interesting indeed. I haven't decided what programs I'm having my daughter tryout for. They all seem to operate the same here on LI. Politics, F&F, Lack of quality coaching etc etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
what we have found is that if your daughter is not an A player on an A team, then pretty much everything else (B teams) are an afterthought...I would guess that every program is the same...there may be an exception as far as players are concerned, but really how many coaches are scouting a meaningless B level game at a crappy tournament?

My only recruiting experience is from the 2016 age group but if you look back at the big 3 commit lists from that age you'll see plenty of girls who played on B teams that found very nice homes at some really nice schools. B team players don't commit first.. but they commit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My only recruiting experience is from the 2016 age group but if you look back at the big 3 commit lists from that age you'll see plenty of girls who played on B teams that found very nice homes at some really nice schools. B team players don't commit first.. but they commit.

this is a great post for all to see.. true in boys as well

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The last sentence in this post should be sent to Webster's Dictionary....they could use it as an example under the definition of short sighted

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very true, Daughter played with a club's 2016 B team and every girl, that wants to, will be playing in college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OP here.... if you are relying on this crap for recruiting and moreover to pay for college you are delusional unless your kid is in the top 5 percent of players.

Your argument re b teams all the same is like saying if you are not driving a Ferrari all other cars are just the same.

Lastly, perhaps, just perhaps my kid likes playing the game yet doesn't rely on it for a means to an odds-against end. That doesn't mean she doesn't want to get to the best competition she can muster, it just means I am not giving her, the refs, coaches, and other players a brow beating 4 Sunday afternoons in summer

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, who's going to which tryouts? We are going to a couple- liberty and probably elevate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter also. I would love some feed back on these teams. I really want her in a solid program where the coaches are concerned with the development of the player. Some constructive advice would be greatly appreciated. We are in Nassau.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Liberty has stepped it up in the past year or two and are offering year play. DG is top notch and we are very happy with Liberty.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Beach Bums?.....any opinions?...where they located out of?...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First I've seen anybody mention BB's. Was hoping we could keep it a secret.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter also. I would love some feed back on these teams. I really want her in a solid program where the coaches are concerned with the development of the player. Some constructive advice would be greatly appreciated. We are in Nassau.

Liberty and Legacy here. Heard good things from players in both programs regarding coaching and playing year round at our daughters year (2021), and would like to be part of a competitive team (that's not called YJ).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Liberty and Legacy here. Heard good things from players in both programs regarding coaching and playing year round at our daughters year (2021), and would like to be part of a competitive team (that's not called YJ).

They practice way west and way east respectively, right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI Wave, intimate family style teams with terrific recruiting guidance

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great day for tryouts! If only it was a few degrees warmer and just a touch more humid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great day for tryouts! If only it was a few degrees warmer and just a touch more humid.

Who has tryouts today? I thought late August was the earliest for the girls normally.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team Nty1 started today.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have heard good things about wave, but they don't hold tryouts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wave only fills spots if girls leave. They usually commit over half their team every year to mid level D1's like Fairfield, marist, Quinnipiac, Winthrop, sacred heart and then lots to Adelphi, Molloy and Mercy. Then their are a bunch of D'3's

If you can play and want to continue there will be a spot for you at the college level. Many ways to get what you want. Wave is a great environment without all the club drama.

Oh and they even had a Northwestern commit

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wave only fills spots if girls leave. They usually commit over half their team every year to mid level D1's like Fairfield, marist, Quinnipiac, Winthrop, sacred heart and then lots to Adelphi, Molloy and Mercy. Then their are a bunch of D'3's

If you can play and want to continue there will be a spot for you at the college level. Many ways to get what you want. Wave is a great environment without all the club drama.

Doubt any team commits half their girls! Even YJ! Think you are exaggerating a tad. What tournaments do they play in, never heard of them making it to any championship

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What teams would you recommend for a girl who wants to play and a parent who doesn't want club drama?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What teams would you recommend for a girl who wants to play and a parent who doesn't want club drama?

Any of them just be happy with a spot on the second or third team. Most of the drama is from the top teams or the parents desperate to be on one.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Doubt any team commits half their girls! Even YJ! Think you are exaggerating a tad. What tournaments do they play in, never heard of them making it to any championship

That's the point clueless dad, Wave making the finals has nothing to do with college coaches recruiting good players. Sure great club teams get more exposure, but college coaches are looking for players, not clubs. Many like being a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Go to their website to see the same college commitment page like every other club

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the point clueless dad, Wave making the finals has nothing to do with college coaches recruiting good players. Sure great club teams get more exposure, but college coaches are looking for players, not clubs. Many like being a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Go to their website to see the same college commitment page like every other club

Not impressive, nobody getting any money, why bother? Unless you like working for free

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not impressive, nobody getting any money, why bother? Unless you like working for free

According to the website, the last committed girls were from 2015?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

According to the website, the last committed girls were from 2015?

WOW and you wonder why everyone hates the YJ's? It's impossible for you to congratulate anyone that chooses another path.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK JOE

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're wrong on that one. Top teams like M&D, Skywalkers, YJ commit about 95% of their A team girls. Not saying they are all going to Maryland, UNC, NW, etc. And not saying they get much money. But in many cases, they earn admission to school such as the Ivies that they may not have been able to without lacrosse. That really should be the goal anyway right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I honestly had never heard of LI Wave until today.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So are any of these girls programs that are offshoots from boys actually successful?

Looks like another new one this year called recon?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're wrong on that one. Top teams like M&D, Skywalkers, YJ commit about 95% of their A team girls. Not saying they are all going to Maryland, UNC, NW, etc. And not saying they get much money. But in many cases, they earn admission to school such as the Ivies that they may not have been able to without lacrosse. That really should be the goal anyway right?

95%? Does that mean one girl gets nothing? Bad for the self esteem. Is that one of the politically connected girls taking spots from more deserving girls? Karma?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

95%? Does that mean one girl gets nothing? Bad for the self esteem. Is that one of the politically connected girls taking spots from more deserving girls? Karma?

Some girls decide not to play lacrosse in college. Every girl from MD Skywalkers, even YJ top teams can play somewhere at Div 1 or 2 of they wanted. The may not have a lot of choices, but every girl could find a place to play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there are tons of girls who play for one of the bottom 25 D1 programs and those teams are really weak but club connections can get you a spot and at the end of the day you will be forever able to say "I played D1 lacrosse with scholarship"

After the top 5-10 schools its all the same

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there are tons of girls who play for one of the bottom 25 D1 programs and those teams are really weak but club connections can get you a spot and at the end of the day you will be forever able to say "I played D1 lacrosse with scholarship"

You are correct. Take Niagara as an example. My daughter and her friends are at best mid level players, play for a "not popular" club. All were recruited by Niagara, and offered a few thousand dollars. Not only is it 8+ hours away (1way) but it's rural and academics are not great. Closer option was Hartford and New Haven, both offered more $$ and we will be able to see every game. You don't need to be the best on your team, you don't need to be committed by 10th grade and you don't need to jump at the first college that contacts you. You DO need to be realistic- do you want to home for a nice meal once or twice a month? Will holidays be an issue? Are rosters big? And more importantly if you took lax out of the picture would you still stay at the school? Take me he Division out of the equation and go see 5 schools before you decide. Just my 2 cents, have a nice day

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are correct. Take Niagara as an example. My daughter and her friends are at best mid level players, play for a "not popular" club. All were recruited by Niagara, and offered a few thousand dollars. Not only is it 8+ hours away (1way) but it's rural and academics are not great. Closer option was Hartford and New Haven, both offered more $$ and we will be able to see every game. You don't need to be the best on your team, you don't need to be committed by 10th grade and you don't need to jump at the first college that contacts you. You DO need to be realistic- do you want to home for a nice meal once or twice a month? Will holidays be an issue? Are rosters big? And more importantly if you took lax out of the picture would you still stay at the school? Take me he Division out of the equation and go see 5 schools before you decide. Just my 2 cents, have a nice day

Excellent post. At the end of the day it's school. Would you be happy if you didn't play??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No that just isn't true. It isn't true for lax, and it isn't true in terms of academics either.

So you are saying that playing at Hopkins (16th rank lax, 10th rank academics) is the same as playing at Coastal Carolina or Niagara?

Or lets go a little further down the list to Georgetown (29th ranked on laxpower and 21st ranked academically) ...

Sorry, after the top 5-10 teams everything else is not the same. The teams ranked 10-20 r better than the ones 20-30 and so on. And there are tons of great academic schools beyond 5-10 as well. And that makes a difference. So if your kid is skilled enough at lax, it can help them get into great schools, and if their grades are great, it's a slam dunk. But u actually have to be a good lax player to go to Princeton or Harvard or Hopkins or Georgetown or many other schools not in the top 5-10 lax rankings.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The first part of your post is correct. Bottom 25 D1 teams r on par w many D3 teams and would lose to the top D3 teams.

Second part of post is not correct.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope we can get at least twenty more new teams show up before tryouts end so everybody can have their own perfect team.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard