BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,645
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 58 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How do you know its a FACT? You must provide more than just posting on BOTC to claim FACT in big capital letters. So please include some references.

My son plays with 2 of the 3 players who committed to Duke very early.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Duke is starting a new trend. They recruit very early and if they find better along the way they convince kids to attend prep school. And it gets a little crazier when a kid transfers in from another school. Now prep and redshirt year. But they sell Duke education and a chance at a ring.
As far as poaching goes. Look at the schools who are really early Fairfield, St Joes, Rutgers, Manhattan D1's like that have to to even get a shot at some of those kids and then when the Dukes , ND finally get around to seeing them play or trying to finalize recruiting classes they make the offer and what kid in his right mind would not think about it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone provide first hand feedback regarding the amounts being offered by D1 coaches to early recruits? Thanks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most coaches know, they have to be around state money to get a good recruit.rule of thumb,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another question. If a school reaches out proactively (vs you contacting them first) and asks you to fill out a recruiting questionnaire how should you feel about their interest level in your kid?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In state offers range from 5-10% up to 25% Out of state would be 25-50% which would be considered huge money. If you are getting 25% or more in State you are doing well. Also depends on when they grab you. If you are young and are getting anything you are way ahead of the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Duke is starting a new trend. They recruit very early and if they find better along the way they convince kids to attend prep school. And it gets a little crazier when a kid transfers in from another school. Now prep and redshirt year. But they sell Duke education and a chance at a ring.
As far as poaching goes. Look at the schools who are really early Fairfield, St Joes, Rutgers, Manhattan D1's like that have to to even get a shot at some of those kids and then when the Dukes , ND finally get around to seeing them play or trying to finalize recruiting classes they make the offer and what kid in his right mind would not think about it.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Joe's has less 2017's than Duke or ND, and only 5 2018's, Manhattan has less. Get your facts straight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am talking about a private school that cost around $57,000, with athletic and academic money the cost to us was around $25,000 a year.which is close to a state school cost with room and board,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The day a coach tells my kid to do a PG year is the day I look elsewhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone provide first hand feedback regarding the amounts being offered by D1 coaches to early recruits? Thanks

The biggest offers I have heard is a 50 percent athletic scholarship. In my sons case he was offered the 50 percent athletic and the opportunity to get the other 50 percent depending on his academics. I have never heard of a school picking up room and board so I dont think there is any such thing as a "full ride", I think its better referred to as "full tuition".

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The biggest offers I have heard is a 50 percent athletic scholarship. In my sons case he was offered the 50 percent athletic and the opportunity to get the other 50 percent depending on his academics. I have never heard of a school picking up room and board so I dont think there is any such thing as a "full ride", I think its better referred to as "full tuition".

Absolutely 100 percent not true.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah Im sure if the Duke, Notre Dame or one of the Ivy coaches asked you would definitely look elsewhere. Silly statement, actually doing a PG year for some kids is the right thing. Sometimes coaches dont have any money left for that year but they really want the kid, sometimes the kid is just not ready. There are some great Prep schools in the New England area that are great academically as well as athletically and can be a great experience for a kid. Most of them will provide substantial financial aid to those that need it as well. Dont rule anything out, you never know what can or will happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they cannot combine athletic money with academic money.
you probably misunderstood. I suggest you call the school and ask the general question.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is true for the most part, there will always be exceptions of course. Coaches offer athletic money, any other money is not part of the lacrosse scholarship. I believe it would be rare to get more than 50% unless you are a 5 star recruit. 25% would be considered good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok what part? This was just my experience, maybe others have had different experiences, that why he asked. If your going to post your smart [lacrosse] remark, how about elaborating so people know what youre referring to. I personally have never heard of a kid getting full tuition and room and board, but that might be school specific. Please enlighten us........

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the scholarship money feedback. My son has had two offers in the $10k-15k range for schools charging $40k+ for tuition. But, the total cost is $60k+ so $10-15k is a drop in the bucket.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok what part? This was just my experience, maybe others have had different experiences, that why he asked. If your going to post your smart [lacrosse] remark, how about elaborating so people know what youre referring to. I personally have never heard of a kid getting full tuition and room and board, but that might be school specific. Please enlighten us........

I love how people come on here and spew nonsense about how they know x y or z to be true, and "it never happens" . Is a "full ride" common ? obviously not, does it happen for the kids at the very top of the their respective recruiting classes I'm telling you it absolutely does. Whether you choose to believe it or not is obviously up to you. Every kid, every school, is different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid has a 99 average and 2,300 SAT's, and also happens to be in the top 5 at Left Attack in his class on LI, then you probably should. If not, you had better listen to and consider all offers. Especially, when the school offers to PAY for the PG year. Yeah, pay for it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Every kid that goes to Naval Acadamy or West Point go on full rides, room and board included. Some additional work after college is required but overall an excellent choice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they cannot combine athletic money with academic money.
you probably misunderstood. I suggest you call the school and ask the general question.

Why are you saying that? My son received an offer with combined academic and athletic? His SAT scores and transcript were required, obviously if his grades drop things change.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Duke does recruit in 9th grade. Coach D just asks you to wait until the summer going into 10th although his speech is anti recruiting early. I believe he wishes he didn't have to recruit so early, but it's unfortunately part of the game now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can receive athletic and academic money from many schools, but not from all. I believe the patriot league is athletic, academic or need base, but you can't double dip. Georgetown is the same-you can't combine scholarships. My son was offered 40% from a state school so it can be more than 25%. The US academies are great academic institutions for free, but you owe years back. The ivies are a percentage of family income and can be as low as the price of a state school depending on family income and if you have more than 1 child in college. Good luck in your process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Academies is 5yrs after you graduate. How many boys know at 14 or 15 they want a life in the military. And your college experience is so much different. Your not going to the local bar on a Thursday night to bang back a few. Or partying in your dorm.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
steer clear of saying anything about any student that chooses an academy. Its safe to say that their choice has very little to do about lacrosse and everything to do with their service and character.

Those kids truly get it. Its a little ridiculus to even mention lacrosse as part of the decision process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Academies is 5yrs after you graduate. How many boys know at 14 or 15 they want a life in the military. And your college experience is so much different. Your not going to the local bar on a Thursday night to bang back a few. Or partying in your dorm.

And people like you are whats wrong with this country. Those that choose the academies should be applauded for their positive contributions in the military and outside the military. Sleeping late and drinking in your dorm is whats wrong with the culture many students decide on in college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thats why you have your kid talk to kids that are there now or graduated so they know what they are up against before saying yes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
steer clear of saying anything about any student that chooses an academy. Its safe to say that their choice has very little to do about lacrosse and everything to do with their service and character.

Those kids truly get it. Its a little ridiculus to even mention lacrosse as part of the decision process.

Although I completely agree that kids that choose the service academies are doing this country a great service and should be commended for their decision, I think saying that lacrosse has little to do with their decision is a tad naive and quite silly. Obviously these kids have been playing lacrosse their whole lives and want to play at the next level so obviously lacrosse played a part in the decision making process. Honestly, what do you think most of these kids would do if they were told they would not be able to play lacrosse but were permitted to still attend the academy? I think youd be surprised by their answers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Although I completely agree that kids that choose the service academies are doing this country a great service and should be commended for their decision, I think saying that lacrosse has little to do with their decision is a tad naive and quite silly. Obviously these kids have been playing lacrosse their whole lives and want to play at the next level so obviously lacrosse played a part in the decision making process. Honestly, what do you think most of these kids would do if they were told they would not be able to play lacrosse but were permitted to still attend the academy? I think youd be surprised by their answers.

NONSENSE with the grades they obviously have to get in to the academies there is about 500 other D1-D3 schools the could play for if lacrosse was the driving factor. Stop talking mr trump! Say thank you to these great kids and move on

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NONSENSE with the grades they obviously have to get in to the academies there is about 500 other D1-D3 schools the could play for if lacrosse was the driving factor. Stop talking mr trump! Say thank you to these great kids and move on

Mom & Dad might have something to do with the decision....ZERO cost has to be a consideration.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didnt say it was the driving factor, I said it obviously played a part in the decision making process. Reading comprehension not a strong point there Hillary? I also cleary stated in my post that any kid that chooses to go to a service academy should be commended, so relax yourself. Also I think It would be interesting to see the percentage of kids that verbal to a service academy that actually graduate and go on to serve.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Kiss your kid when he leaves for college and hope he does right thing.

Shake the hands of the academy kids and thank them for allowing your kid to do the right thing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No parent would want to make the decision for their kid to go to a academy school based on no tuition. Totally has to be The his or hers call. Now did I have a nice cigar about the cost, yes I did.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didnt say it was the driving factor, I said it obviously played a part in the decision making process. Reading comprehension not a strong point there Hillary? I also cleary stated in my post that any kid that chooses to go to a service academy should be commended, so relax yourself. Also I think It would be interesting to see the percentage of kids that verbal to a service academy that actually graduate and go on to serve.

Folks, I went to an Academy, and it was part of my/my parents dream as I entered HS. Honestly, it was a bit of the little boy who wanted to be GI Joe and my parents brainwashing me as all good parents do.

But back then if you don't go into HS with an idea that you want that kind of life, you don't end up properly prepared with the right extra curricular activities (not all sports) and class work.

It is very tough to just decide one day when you are 17 that you are going to do it, you have to start thinking about it very early. I knew about the commitment but had no idea that it was tuition free until I was probably a Sophomore heading into Junior year and honestly was happy that it relieved a burden on my working class parents.

Now, I know that a lax player can just walk into it because the Coach will help, but I don't think that people realize how early you still have to buy into the program if you want one of the Academies as a real option.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IMHO - too many young men are lacrosse players going to college and not college students playing lacrosse - I firmly believe (and I know a bunch of them) that these great young men are service academy students that also play lacrosse and not the other way around. I would have loved my son or daughter to have gone that route but they didn't. I have so much respect for these student soldier athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Takes a special kid to know/want to join the service academy as a Senior let alone as an early recruit. It goes without saying that it's a completely different college and arguably overall life experience compared to attending a non service academy university. I commend and thank all of the young men and women who have made a similar decision. God Bless America!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think I am crazy saying at least 60% of the kids and their parents are hoping that other college coaches do some poaching so they can get offers from other schools. By committing to these schools the parents and kids hope that the other schools think they must be good and should have interest in them. Besides the coaches abusing the system the kids and parents are doing the same. The worse scenario for some of these parents is that the other schools don't go after them and they might be stuck where they are or give up lacrosse all together. Unless you have family in the military I find it hard to believe 14-15 year olds know they want to serve in the Arm forces.. Let's see how many stay with their schools. I'm willing to bet I am right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go check out the girls HS thread - 50% of all LI lacrosse girls playing in college DON'T play by their senior year. So when you are picking a school you better be going for the right reasons and not just because some 20 something year old coach at a $60,000 D3 school that no one has ever heard of asked your kid to play.

Parents need to grow up and push their kids to schools that fit them academically and socially and if lacrosse fits great but be aware that most are going to stop playing once we all stop pushing them. 5-6 hours a day all year to sit on the bench with 40 other kids isn't fun

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You people amaze me, kids switch schools, quit lacrosse at all schools, military most likely same % of any other school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you look at military academy rosters, as they go from freshman to seniors numbers dramatically decrease. Usually you have less then 12 seniors on the team. So many kids quit.

Like Reply Quote
Page 20 of 58 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard