BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 58 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think for me when my son verballed it meant several things:

1. It was a validation of all my sons hard work and effort throughout the years, not to mention the time and sacrifices he made along the way

2. It was nice to have a D1 coach, a professional at his craft tell my son that he was a very good player and a kid who the coach would love to have in his program, it wasnt Ty Xanders or some irrelevant blogger saying it.

3. I think for my son it was a huge sigh of relief that the pressure he was feeling was off and he could just go out and play and enjoy himself. For me obviously it was a huge relief knowing that my son has a spot and is going to have a great opportunity to do some pretty amazing things once he gets to school.

Those are just my thoughts, I understand that at this point until he signs his NLI it is just a verbal agreement and either side can decided that its not the right fit, although for the most part college coaches will honor their verbals. For my son at this point he is completely happy with his decision and unless a significantly better offer comes along he will be staying put. IMHO the only reasons to decommit and verbal to a different school would be a significant upgrade in the academic standing of the school, or for some kids they decide they would rather play D3 and not deal with the pressures of D1. Just my two cents and my experience with this process so far.

Validation is no reason to commit. Find right academic school that you would want to go to if there was no lacrosse. No money past college. This single end game.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are you at a school taking the major you want if you never played lacrosse again? We have friends looking at $60,000 liberal arts D3 schools that no one has heard of because a coach showed some interest, GIVE ME A BREAK!

Some parents will bankrupt themselves just to say their kid played in college. Need to get a grip, its not about you

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know about any of you but our verbal school is a grandslam all the way around. lacrosse or not!!! Everyone assumes that these early commits are settling. And for others I can't imagine one can go wrong with any of them. MD, NAVY, HOPKINS, UNC, MICHIGAN, PENN ST, OHIO STATE . These early recruiters are all great all around colleges. No lacrosse . No problem Enjoy your weekend haters.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I don't know about any of you but our verbal school is a grandslam all the way around. lacrosse or not!!! Everyone assumes that these early commits are settling. And for others I can't imagine one can go wrong with any of them. MD, NAVY, HOPKINS, UNC, MICHIGAN, PENN ST, OHIO STATE . These early recruiters are all great all around colleges. No lacrosse . No problem Enjoy your weekend haters. [/

I agree ..the kids are most likely not getting much money for lacrosse if any. Hopefully some academic. At least 2/3 of the kids won't be playing lacrosse by junior year. As long as the parents can pay for the schooling the rest will be fine. the kids are picking these schools for the education, the most they are getting academically is 25% . Don't let anyone tell you differently. They are fortunate their parents can afford it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I don't know about any of you but our verbal school is a grandslam all the way around. lacrosse or not!!! Everyone assumes that these early commits are settling. And for others I can't imagine one can go wrong with any of them. MD, NAVY, HOPKINS, UNC, MICHIGAN, PENN ST, OHIO STATE . These early recruiters are all great all around colleges. No lacrosse . No problem Enjoy your weekend haters. [/

I agree ..the kids are most likely not getting much money for lacrosse if any. Hopefully some academic. At least 2/3 of the kids won't be playing lacrosse by junior year. As long as the parents can pay for the schooling the rest will be fine. the kids are picking these schools for the education, the most they are getting academically is 25% . Don't let anyone tell you differently. They are fortunate their parents can afford it

penn st, ohio st, maryland will take anyone who applies.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But as far as the college experience it is the big time!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Re: upcoming NCAA Early Recruiting vote for lacrosse
I find it vile that the IWLCA and IMCLA proposals want to limit phone and written contact between coaches and potential recruits, BUT it will still be ok to make contact at camps and clinics.
This is the classic "pay to play" scenario. Attend camp at XYZ University for $1000 and you MIGHT be invited to sit down with the coach afterwards. If you don't attend the camp, then you have to sit and wait until 9/1 junior year to talk to the coach directly. All the while, your club coach will have the ability to talk to coaches on your behalf, making them absolutely vital to the process (and thus able to charge exorbitant fees for their services).
Everyone "makes out" in this scenario but the players and their families.
If the college coaches truly want to limit all early recruiting, then they need to dump ALL of the loopholes, INCLUDING the ones that put money in their pockets. THEN we could all take them seriously.
Let's not forget, it was the college coaches themselves that started this whole early recruiting insanity.
[/quote

POST OF THE YEAR!!
Spot on my cynical friend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But as far as the college experience it is the big time!

You need to have a 93-95 avg to get into any of those schools paying full price. For that price you get the ultimate college experience. Being an athlete is a big bonus!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. It was a validation of all my sons hard work and effort throughout the years, not to mention the time and sacrifices he made along the way

2. It was nice to have a D1 coach, a professional at his craft tell my son that he was a very good player and a kid who the coach would love to have in his program, it wasnt Ty Xanders or some irrelevant blogger saying it.

3. I think for my son it was a huge sigh of relief that the pressure he was feeling was off and he could just go out and play and enjoy himself. For me obviously it was a huge relief knowing that my son has a spot and is going to have a great opportunity to do some pretty amazing things once he gets to school.

Those are just my thoughts, I understand that at this point until he signs his NLI it is just a verbal agreement and either side can decided that its not the right fit, although for the most part college coaches will honor their verbals. For my son at this point he is completely happy with his decision and unless a significantly better offer comes along he will be staying put. IMHO the only reasons to decommit and verbal to a different school would be a significant upgrade in the academic standing of the school, or for some kids they decide they would rather play D3 and not deal with the pressures of D1. Just my two cents and my experience with this process so far.

Validation is no reason to commit. Find right academic school that you would want to go to if there was no lacrosse. No money past college. This single end game.

never said validation was the reason he committed, I said its how we felt about it afterwards.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

never said validation was the reason he committed, I said its how we felt about it afterwards.

It was number 1 on your numerical list! Lol

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Validation for spending $30k on club teams. Lacrosse has become a game of musical chairs, grabbing an early one for fear of being out of the game. No one seems to care if that chair is the most comfortable or if it fits at all. The "validation" for parents coupled with college coaches trying to get a competitive edge on their rivals has forced our children to make huge decisions way before they ever should.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Validation for spending $30k on club teams. Lacrosse has become a game of musical chairs, grabbing an early one for fear of being out of the game. No one seems to care if that chair is the most comfortable or if it fits at all. The "validation" for parents coupled with college coaches trying to get a competitive edge on their rivals has forced our children to make huge decisions way before they ever should.

A lot I think is pressure from other parents and kids on same team..Once one goes they all try to go. Parents have egos the size of watermelons. Bigger then the kids in most cases. I am sure a majority of the kids that commit to our academy's will switch out. 14-15 year old boys are deciding they want to serve our country after schooling. A little young to make that call unless family is already in. I think it is being used to get offers from other schools

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
exactly lots of parents are looking at schools smaller then their current HS that no one has heard of with crazy expensive price tags just so their kids can play.

If you are playing big time lacrosse god bless but most need a reality check!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Re: upcoming NCAA Early Recruiting vote for lacrosse
I find it vile that the IWLCA and IMCLA proposals want to limit phone and written contact between coaches and potential recruits, BUT it will still be ok to make contact at camps and clinics.
This is the classic "pay to play" scenario. Attend camp at XYZ University for $1000 and you MIGHT be invited to sit down with the coach afterwards. If you don't attend the camp, then you have to sit and wait until 9/1 junior year to talk to the coach directly. All the while, your club coach will have the ability to talk to coaches on your behalf, making them absolutely vital to the process (and thus able to charge exorbitant fees for their services).
Everyone "makes out" in this scenario but the players and their families.
If the college coaches truly want to limit all early recruiting, then they need to dump ALL of the loopholes, INCLUDING the ones that put money in their pockets. THEN we could all take them seriously.
Let's not forget, it was the college coaches themselves that started this whole early recruiting insanity.
[/quote

POST OF THE YEAR!!
Spot on my cynical friend.

US Lacrosse is gutless, Clubs rule the day in conjunction with college coaches. The whole process has been and remains pay to play BS!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
exactly lots of parents are looking at schools smaller then their current HS that no one has heard of with crazy expensive price tags just so their kids can play.

So you aren't playing "big time" lacrosse you shouldn't bother? Kids playing D 3 need a reality check? Arrogant , ignorant statements. There are hundreds of great colleges and good fits for everyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Once again I think parents like to tell themselves lies to make themselves feel better especially about money. I can tell you generally speaking there may not be much money, however for the top recruits in each class money is more than readily available. It's not a one size fits all with any of this stuff.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So you aren't playing "big time" lacrosse you shouldn't bother? Kids playing D 3 need a reality check? Arrogant , ignorant statements. There are hundreds of great colleges and good fits for everyone.

Maybe its you who need the reality check dad. Rather then send your kid to a $60k school that no one has heard of so they play. Its not about you. Maybe your kid is better suited to go to Hopkins academically and just play on the club team. That's ok you know

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe its you who need the reality check dad. Rather then send your kid to a $60k school that no one has heard of so they play. Its not about you. Maybe your kid is better suited to go to Hopkins academically and just play on the club team. That's ok you know

Absolutely. And so is playing at a small liberal arts college that is a good academic match for my kid. And 30k or 60k won't make the decision for him. Luckily we have planned for college and were not banking on athletic scholarships. It's the experience and the education. Not validating daddy for spending 50k on travel lacrosse or wearing the sweatshirt to Hopkins. Would you rather your son be the 55th player on Hopkins or play and get a great education at CT College ? You don't have to choose play lacrosse or great education. Tons of great schools at D 3 level.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Absolutely. And so is playing at a small liberal arts college that is a good academic match for my kid. And 30k or 60k won't make the decision for him. Luckily we have planned for college and were not banking on athletic scholarships. It's the experience and the education. Not validating daddy for spending 50k on travel lacrosse or wearing the sweatshirt to Hopkins. Would you rather your son be the 55th player on Hopkins or play and get a great education at CT College ? You don't have to choose play lacrosse or great education. Tons of great schools at D 3 level.

Not sure I would agree that $60k doesn't matter. If the $60k school gets doesn't get you in the door with companies because of zero name recognition you might want to re-think that.

Lacrosse ends. Pick the major and the school that gives you the best chance long-term. As we have all seen ANYONE can be a summer or school lacrosse coach!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not sure I would agree that $60k doesn't matter. If the $60k school gets doesn't get you in the door with companies because of zero name recognition you might want to re-think that.

Lacrosse ends. Pick the major and the school that gives you the best chance long-term. As we have all seen ANYONE can be a summer or school lacrosse coach!

There are many great academic institutions in D3. Look at the NESCAC schools like Tufts,Amhearst,Williams etc. Every school in the conference is elite academically. It is widely considered the strongest D3 conference lacrosse wise. Just like the Ivies these schools have strong alumni associations and huge endowments. They will find substantial money for your kid if they want them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shhh, its the quiet period!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are saying CT college isn't worth it? Do a little Hw!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ct college is a very good school. no one views them as a very competitive lax program

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ct college is a very good school. no one views them as a very competitive lax program

That's the whole point. You shouldn't be putting a bigger emphasis on lacrosse over education. If my son had the choice to go to a school like Ct college or an academically middle of the road but strong D1 lax school, he would be going to The better academic D3 option as long as we could afford it. A very small group of players get to choose schools that have superior academics and lax. The rest of us have to prioritize between academics, potential financial aid and then think about lacrosse and other factors that shape a decision. If anyone is letting their kid chose a school based on lacrosse they are doing them a disservice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
parents aren't always as bright as the kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the whole point. You shouldn't be putting a bigger emphasis on lacrosse over education. If my son had the choice to go to a school like Ct college or an academically middle of the road but strong D1 lax school, he would be going to The better academic D3 option as long as we could afford it. A very small group of players get to choose schools that have superior academics and lax. The rest of us have to prioritize between academics, potential financial aid and then think about lacrosse and other factors that shape a decision. If anyone is letting their kid chose a school based on lacrosse they are doing them a disservice.

Good luck trying to convince the meat heads on hear that you should turn down D1 if D3 is better fit your kid.

The meat heads just want to say their kid plays D1 even if he is #40 on the roster and they practice 6 hours a day leaving no time for school or socializing

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
(Connecticut College is not a "very" good school by any measure -- other NESCAC schools, such as Williams and Amherst, are.)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry for asking a dumb question but what is the difference between "quiet period" and "dead period" in the recruiting calendar?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
(Connecticut College is not a "very" good school by any measure -- other NESCAC schools, such as Williams and Amherst, are.)

Do yourself a favor and look up some of Conn colleges alumni. They are just as impressive as the others. Don't make the mistake of looking at the Internet rankings on sites like us news or Princeton review. Like everything else a lot of that press is bought. Peel back the onion and see what schools offer and who's contributing. Alumni contacts, location and internship opportunities can be just as important, or more than academic ranking. Those schools are certainly excellent, but there are many others just as good, or maybe better if its the right fit for your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no schools is worth 60k a year. Sorry. You wind up sitting behind a desk working for someone else bragging how much you make as your life just wastes by except for those 2 weeks of vacation. No thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the over under on how many seconds it took for the Rutgers commit to say "Yes" to ND when they called to poach ... 1 second? I take the under. Plucked 3 previous commits in the 2017 class. Only a few schools can pull that off.. hence the reasons Duke and ND don't feel the need to recruit as early

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the over under on how many seconds it took for the Rutgers commit to say "Yes" to ND when they called to poach ... 1 second? I take the under. Plucked 3 previous commits in the 2017 class. Only a few schools can pull that off.. hence the reasons Duke and ND don't feel the need to recruit as early

I believe you are a bit misinformed regarding Duke not recruiting early. Coach D is notorious for talking out of both sides of his mouth. On a Saturday he was talking at a lecture saying he does not recruit early and on Sunday he was committing 3 rising 9th graders and asked them to not say anything until end of Freshman year. FACT!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How do you know its a FACT? You must provide more than just posting on BOTC to claim FACT in big capital letters. So please include some references.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I believe you are a bit misinformed regarding Duke not recruiting early. Coach D is notorious for talking out of both sides of his mouth. On a Saturday he was talking at a lecture saying he does not recruit early and on Sunday he was committing 3 rising 9th graders and asked them to not say anything until end of Freshman year. FACT!!!!

And then. He is the first to sucker a kid to switch schools after a few months..The top schools are not one to throw stones . Sad watching kids switch schools so fast. I hope the parents didn't buy the sweatshirts fro the schools already. Lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Awesome. Those 3 must be pretty special players. Holdbacks no doubt. Lol sorry couldn't help myself

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And then. He is the first to sucker a kid to switch schools after a few months..The top schools are not one to throw stones . Sad watching kids switch schools so fast. I hope the parents didn't buy the sweatshirts fro the schools already. Lol

Not too hard to "sucker" a kid from Rutgers to Notre Dame.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That kid was actually committed to Fairfield first, so he decommitted from 2 different schools. Obviously its a no brainer to commit to Notre Dame but it does show you how ER is affecting the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]What is the over under on how many seconds it took for the Rutgers commit to say "Yes" to ND when they called to poach ... 1 second? I take the under. Plucked 3 previous commits in the 2017 class. Only a few schools can pull that off.. hence the reasons Duke and ND don't feel the need to recruit as early

Notre Dame yes. Duke is very early!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

under what rock do you live, both Duke and ND have been been in the early recruitment process

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Age Groups
A & B Levels For All Divisions

Birth year based
Pee Wee (05/04)
Bantam (03/02)
[lacrosse] (01/00)
HS Elite (99/98) This is from the website of USBOXLA which hold their championships this weekend in San Jose. All age based. While the two year gap wouldn't be needed because the Field Game on the East Coast has critical mass using age base for example Jan 1 2000-Dec 31 2000 would be easier than these slippery dates that US Lacrosse is attempting to do. Using Sept 1 opens up the way for interpretation. Please Lacrosse do like Hockey does! Why does USBOXLA do this probably because it is run by Canadian Matt Brown who is an AC at the Univ of Denver

Like Reply Quote
Page 19 of 58 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard