BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Checkmate Sharks Tryouts - September 16th/23rd, 2012
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Checkmate Sharks Lacrosse Tryouts

Checkmate Sharks Boys 2013 Tryouts

Tryout Dates, Times, and Details

Sunday, September 16th
Age Group : Class of 2016 (9th Grade)
Times : 12:00pm - 2:00pm
Age Group : Class of 2021 (4th Grade)
Times : 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Age Groups : Classes of 2019/2020 (5th/6th Grades)
Times : 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Location : Adelphi University, Main Field, Garden City, New [lacrosse]

Sunday, September 23rd
Age Groups : Classes of 2014/2015 (10th/11th Grades)
Times : 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Location : Adelphi University, Main Field, Garden City, New [lacrosse]

Sunday, September 23rd
Age Group : Class of 2017 (8th Grade)
Times : 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Age Group : Class of 2018 (7th Grade)
Times : 5:00pm - 7:00pm

Tryout Fee : $30.00

Questions? E-Mail Address : lisharkslax@aol.com

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Checkmate Sharks Tryouts - September 16th/23rd, 2012
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great program going into its second year. Last year the coaches were top notch, and really dedicated to teaching their players the right way to play the game. Looking forward to another successful season.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anybody ever played for this club? How are they? Any information would be great.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info.Thats sounds good. Looking forward to try outs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son played foe the 9th grade Sharks team this summer.We were very pleased.My son has played for years for other summer programs.With the help of coach Keith and the rest of the coaching staff my son has grown into a legit colledge recruit.Entire organization seems to be in this for the right reasons and not just the money.Good Luck

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Over the years my son has played for some of the top clubs on Long Island and the Checkmate Sharks is over all the best one he has played with. The coaches are extremely dedicated, knowledgeable and experienced. The boys started practicing together twice a week in the early spring which continued until the week of our last tournament, which is a huge plus many teams start way too late to be competitive early in the summer season. The price is also very fair and competitive with no hidden or unexpected costs along the way. This is really a top notch program that will not disappoint.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are the teams made of mostly GC kids or are they from all over the island. Thanks for the info and feedback. We ran into some of the younger teams this past summer at LI Lax Fest and they seemed well coached.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last year they were from all over Nassau and some from Suffolk on all age levels...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In its first year, this club really shined. Even won a tourney or two...and the coaches are classy, NOT SCREAMERS, with good college contacts. The Practices are held at Adelphi...great, great facilities. The parents don't over do it with over the top tailgates and know it all attitudes. A great program...from a parent who has seen quite a few clubs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THE COACHING STAFF IS AMAZING AND DEDICATED TO THE KIDS

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I realize that a lot of the parents on these boards say that their programs coaches are great, dedicated, teach the right way, etc., but it is true for the Checkmate Sharks. In fact, after the first year, many of the individual teams parents requested to the Directors to have their coaches move up to the next age level with their kids. They thought so much off the job that their coaches did that they wanted it to continue.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
These people must not have been involved with the 2020 team. I know parents who had kids on that team. They struggled and had a paid coach that didn't want to be there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My sons 4th grade 2020 team beat checkmate 11-1 at LI Laxfest.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Giants beat the undefeated Patriots in 2008?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was at the JDRF tournament and saw the 2020 Sharks team play at Burns Park.
They had trouble getting the ball to their offensive side of the field against a town team. It was a good town team, but the Sharks were down by double digits at half.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All clubs go through growing pains. Its a young club with great coaches. They look like they will have a good future ahead. Time will tell.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best line I have read all day!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Didn't play for them, played against them. The team we played seemed like a C+ level team but was playing in the A division.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Definitely not GC kids. They have their own in town program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I AGREE! My son was on that team. Coach couldn't have cared.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Sharks were not on this web site last year. Considering there are over 500 views on this try out date already. I bet you things will change this year. More kids better talent. Parents are tired of other clubs. Couple of new kids will make a big difference. Not every one will be on an A team. C+ for last year in an A division sounds pretty good. With better talent coming. Will see at try outs. Looking forward.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If there is a correlation between views of tryout info and significant talent upgrading, the other groups that have thousands of views must be getting ready for a wave of talent.

I don't think it's that easy dude. Looking at info about a team on this website, doesn't mean that they will come try out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were 3 GC kids on the 2015 team
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Definitely not GC kids. They have their own in town program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were about 20 kids for the 2019 team trying out Sunday. I know thats not alot...but from what I saw it looked like a good solid group of kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were about 20 kids for the 2019 team trying out Sunday. I know thats not alot...but from what I saw it looked like a good solid group of kids.

Will they take all those kids or will they have another tryout for the age group?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

do you think they will take just those players or will they need to have another tryout?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they told us that they carry 23 on a team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They got the base of their team, if not the whole team,from their try-out. One of the directors told me that the one or two spots that they would need to fill, they will fill with kids that they bring down to workout at their practices. Almost like a mini try-out for kids that were sick or couldn't make it. Email them if you are one of those. I know 6th grade needed a second goalie. I'm sending down my son's friend to their first practice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If most of that team is from the try outs, they looked pretty good. I was concerned about the turn out for try outs but I liked what I saw with the talent. I heard the same response from the previous post. This team is basically set except for a couple of spots. One being an extra goalie. Should be a good year. Looking forward to it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this affiliated with the lacrosse camp for little kids at some school in Garden City?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It goes by the same neame and Gordon Purdie spoke at my son's tryout. So yes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess your son is on True Blue or another elite club that plays at a BIG SCHOOL? If thats the case why are you posting comments like that on this site? This is Checkmates second year of a summer travel program. They are fielding all levels of play. Great program and will get better over time. Great family atmosphere and caoching for the kids.Patience my freind...patience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree!!! All new programs go through growing pains. From what I have seen they seem to have their act together. My son is new to travel lacrosse and really enjoyed his try out. He liked the way the coaches spoke to him. It is all about the kids enjoying what they do!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Checkmate is the Sharks, and it is Gordon Purdie's program. Gordon is the athletic director at the Waldorf School (adjacent to the Adelphi campus in Garden City), a true gentleman, and possibly the nicest lax director for any program you will find anywhere.

But Gordon is not likely to be the day-to-day guy on the field for your son's team. Like every other club, whether your son has a good experience will depend on who his coaches are, and if the program puts the team in the right tournaments based on the talent available. Experiences will differ, and probably differ widely.

A side note ... the Sharks name carries more weight than you think. It was the club team that many of the Garden City national championship kids played on when they were younger. A bunch played for the Sharks, and others for the GC middle school, and when they combined at GCHS, well, you know the rest for the past 3-4 years.

At least that's what I've been told by those who were there. My kid is much, much younger than the group now playing for GCHS, and the recent grads playing for Ivy League and D1 schools. I do not know if the current Sharks program was inherited by Checkmate last summer, or resurrected by Checkmate, or what their affiliation (if any) is with the original Sharks program. Which means, I know very little, other than some positive history.

Hopefully they grow the program back to the level it was several years ago. Enjoy!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very well said. Great information! Its sounds like a good club to grow into. Glad my son is part of this program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Checkmate is the Sharks, and it is Gordon Purdie's program. Gordon is the athletic director at the Waldorf School (adjacent to the Adelphi campus in Garden City), a true gentleman, and possibly the nicest lax director for any program you will find anywhere.

But Gordon is not likely to be the day-to-day guy on the field for your son's team. Like every other club, whether your son has a good experience will depend on who his coaches are, and if the program puts the team in the right tournaments based on the talent available. Experiences will differ, and probably differ widely.

A side note ... the Sharks name carries more weight than you think. It was the club team that many of the Garden City national championship kids played on when they were younger. A bunch played for the Sharks, and others for the GC middle school, and when they combined at GCHS, well, you know the rest for the past 3-4 years.

At least that's what I've been told by those who were there. My kid is much, much younger than the group now playing for GCHS, and the recent grads playing for Ivy League and D1 schools. I do not know if the current Sharks program was inherited by Checkmate last summer, or resurrected by Checkmate, or what their affiliation (if any) is with the original Sharks program. Which means, I know very little, other than some positive history.

Hopefully they grow the program back to the level it was several years ago. Enjoy!

Not original Sharks program. My friends son played for Sharks from Garden City. It was only kids from that town that were on that team. Dads coached. Kids are in college now. This sounds like a new program trying to launch off the old name?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The old Sharks program was still part of Checkmate, but coached by one of the dads and limited to GC kids. If you Google "garden city sharks lacrosse" the first couple of links have articles and pictures going back to 2005-06, which reference Checkmate.

Really big names on those teams. Jahelka, Dwyer (this year's national high school player of the year), Fischer, etc. It appears the program went on hiatus when that group went on to GCHS (classes of 2011, 12 and 13).

Probably a long road back to where they were, but with the Checkmate and Waldorf School connection, it appears that it is at least technically the same program/organization.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It might take some time to get this club going. But it seems like they have a good coaching staff in place for the kids. Considering it's a Gordon Purdie program the connections will be there to help this program be very sucessful.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anybody know if the 2019 team got there second goalie? I know they were looking for one. Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The old Sharks program was still part of Checkmate, but coached by one of the dads and limited to GC kids. If you Google "garden city sharks lacrosse" the first couple of links have articles and pictures going back to 2005-06, which reference Checkmate.

Really big names on those teams. Jahelka, Dwyer (this year's national high school player of the year), Fischer, etc. It appears the program went on hiatus when that group went on to GCHS (classes of 2011, 12 and 13).

Probably a long road back to where they were, but with the Checkmate and Waldorf School connection, it appears that it is at least technically the same program/organization.

Dude this is not the same organization. Only used the banner Checkmate Sharks. Not even the same coaches. Shouldn't be using these names. Jahelka is a director at fl$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard