BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 58 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My friends' son has three offers on the table. One is to a top ten team but for VERY little money and good school, one is for a much lower level D1 team, more money better school, third is for an academy.

Now, balance education with cost with lacrosse experience.....How the heck is a 15 year old kid supposed to make this decision? I played D1, he did not so he is looking to me for some guidance. I have none.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My friends' son has three offers on the table. One is to a top ten team but for VERY little money and good school, one is for a much lower level D1 team, more money better school, third is for an academy.

Now, balance education with cost with lacrosse experience.....How the heck is a 15 year old kid supposed to make this decision? I played D1, he did not so he is looking to me for some guidance. I have none.

We went through the same thing except not an academy and he was the ripe old age of 16

1) top academics, OK lacrosse, no money
2) ok academic, good lacrosse, very good money
3) very good academic, very good lacrosse, OK money

at the end of the day my son chose what felt right to him (#3) - although probably a person should opt for the highest rated academics a lot goes into the decision and unfortunately money is a large part of the decision - he was thrilled with his choice.

good luck to you and your son on this difficult decision - could be a lot worse and that would be if he had no choices.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are no full scholarships. You are chasing a unicorn. If the kid can play - he can play. If he can't - he can't. You can't tailor his play for a showcase.

Roster sizes of 50! You will be lucky to get a .3 scholarship to a $55k school

Full rides my [lacrosse], put down the kool aid your kid like most others will be playing at D3 SUNY school

There are full tuition scholarships and there are kids that go to school for free based on their family's financial situation. Its rare but some kids do get what amounts to a full ride. Probably 1 or 2 kids per team. I would say the average scholarship is between $5000-$10000.

You can count on one hand kids that play travel lacrosse from LI who will go to college for free based on need. Lacrosse is a rich mans game

There are plenty of kids on Long Island from families that earn less than $150k/year (the rough cutoff for substantial aid at most Ivies). Not every D1 player comes from Manhasset or Garden City.

$150? maybe for the ivies but for all other schools its about half of that. Ask anyone you share a sideline with who has kids that went through the FAFSA process except for a staford load most get nothing. They do academic money so tell your kid to study study study!

He is not referring to the Fafsa, you have to be dirt poor to get any money from the government. What he is referring to is the schools need based financial aid system. They base your tuition on your ability to pay, the theory being that if the kid can get into the school then he should have to opportunity to go there regardless of money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So Ty Ty Xanders just tweeted that a 2020 committed to the Naval Academy. How does an 8th grader commit to an Academy? It's not as if getting an apt an academy is THAT easy. What am I missing?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is that the kid from li express fogo? if so his dad is an ex seal runs morgan Stanley equities? Ball

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So Ty Ty Xanders just tweeted that a 2020 committed to the Naval Academy. How does an 8th grader commit to an Academy? It's not as if getting an apt an academy is THAT easy. What am I missing?

I'd imagine that he still needs to go through the formal process but I'm sure he'll have lots of help "navigating" it. Congrats to him.

Ha, navigating...that was good!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd imagine that he still needs to go through the formal process but I'm sure he'll have lots of help "navigating" it. Congrats to him.

And having NAPS as an option makes the process very easy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2020's really aren't "8th graders" any longer and recruiting for the best of the best 2020's is in full swing like it or not. The U S Naval academy is a great place . Personally I think its a great thing. And the old argument how does a 14 year old know what they want to do just dosen't fly, because the answer is they usually don't, but in reality there are more than plenty of college sophomores, juniors and grads that really don't know either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2020's really aren't "8th graders" any longer and recruiting for the best of the best 2020's is in full swing like it or not. The U S Naval academy is a great place . Personally I think its a great thing. And the old argument how does a 14 year old know what they want to do just dosen't fly, because the answer is they usually don't, but in reality there are more than plenty of college sophomores, juniors and grads that really don't know either.

The real answer is that he probably isn't 14! Especially if he is from Maryland or Mass. There is a hold back epidemic. Go look at the ages of the kids from the under Armour compared to the NY kids. It is a year across the board. Good luck to these coaches who think that the best kids who are a year or two older in 9th and 10th grade, are still going to be the best kids when they get to college. Half these kids didn't hit puberty yet. This might be the best thing for the non traditional power house teams. There will be a lot more kids fall through the cracks and a lot more disappointed coaches in the ACC and Big 10!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

he should be on a.....steady course...(ouch) smile

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The real answer is that he probably isn't 14! Especially if he is from Maryland or Mass. There is a hold back epidemic. Go look at the ages of the kids from the under Armour compared to the NY kids. It is a year across the board. Good luck to these coaches who think that the best kids who are a year or two older in 9th and 10th grade, are still going to be the best kids when they get to college. Half these kids didn't hit puberty yet. This might be the best thing for the non traditional power house teams. There will be a lot more kids fall through the cracks and a lot more disappointed coaches in the ACC and Big 10!

He's from Long Island and will be starting at Chaminade in the spring.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I heard that the kid is very...even keeled...Ba Dum Tss

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dad is former SEAL jackass!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well that should make for very....smooth sailing...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope the new rule does go into effect for 2017.

So just a few years ago the “early recruiting” train started down the tracks. I wanted to take a look at the success of it. I was actually shocked about what it looks like. I would expect others have looked at this also.
The class of 2014 first 12 commits as sophomores, 10 of 12 offensive players (1 LSM, 1 G)
Virginia - 6
Hopkins – 2
UNC -2
Maryland – 1
Towson – 1

2 Players are no longer playing D1 – 1 MCLA one looks to be out of lax. Neither the Goalie nor the LSM have any starts in the past 2 years.

Other than 1 offensive player who panned out (over 100 pts) the remaining 7 are see limited playing time with a combined total of 28 pts in 2 years across 7 of the first 12 commits for 2014.

2016 Stats Leaders –
1. Committed as a Jr
2. Cant see when committed, was 181 on laxpower list
3. Committed as a Soph/but changed as a Sr
4. Committed as a Jr
5. Committed as a Sr

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well that should make for very....smooth sailing...

Maybe he'll be team captain!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
shhh, don't tell that to GC and Manhasset windbags...

Too late, but thanks!

No problem Elmont guy, thanks we do just fine without you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dad is former SEAL jackass!

And I'm homeless, does that make my kid less worthy and entitled? Please stop!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ooops, meant to say "in the fall."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And starting Freshman... Starting Chaminade as you put it was open ended. More like Freshman

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope the new rule does go into effect for 2017.

So just a few years ago the “early recruiting” train started down the tracks. I wanted to take a look at the success of it. I was actually shocked about what it looks like. I would expect others have looked at this also.
The class of 2014 first 12 commits as sophomores, 10 of 12 offensive players (1 LSM, 1 G)
Virginia - 6
Hopkins – 2
UNC -2
Maryland – 1
Towson – 1

2 Players are no longer playing D1 – 1 MCLA one looks to be out of lax. Neither the Goalie nor the LSM have any starts in the past 2 years.

Other than 1 offensive player who panned out (over 100 pts) the remaining 7 are see limited playing time with a combined total of 28 pts in 2 years across 7 of the first 12 commits for 2014.

2016 Stats Leaders –
1. Committed as a Jr
2. Cant see when committed, was 181 on laxpower list
3. Committed as a Soph/but changed as a Sr
4. Committed as a Jr
5. Committed as a Sr

Very interesting if incomplete information. It will be more instructive to look back at player outcomes as the 2016 HS class moves through college, say in calendar years 2019 and 2020. In my mind, 2016 was the first really early year, where freshman were recruited (which has now sadly progressed to 8th graders).
Hoping new rule proposal gets adopted and is actually effective. Will ease pressure on very immature kids and reduce benefits of reclassing

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pretty embarrassing to see a service academy going down this road.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And starting Freshman... Starting Chaminade as you put it was open ended. More like Freshman

-- he will be attending chaminade as a freshman this fall --

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I highly doubt there is any truth to that. You have to have the academics to get in

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thought all Chaminade freshmen played JV? Of course the parents and club guys might be able to pressure otherwise so as not to "embarrass" and early commit. This parent and club coach move has been wrecking high school lacrosse in the DMV for a few years now. Bad for the game and puts kids on te field for political reasons instead of having them earn it. Surprised if this is happening in LI too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thought all Chaminade freshmen played JV? Of course the parents and club guys might be able to pressure otherwise so as not to "embarrass" and early commit. This parent and club coach move has been wrecking high school lacrosse in the DMV for a few years now. Bad for the game and puts kids on te field for political reasons instead of having them earn it. Surprised if this is happening in LI too.

He will be playing on one of the freshman/JV teams. I mispoke earlier.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At st ants and chaminade all of the frosh play on the jv teams. This has served them well. Plenty of commits too play on jv every year. I doubt this will change.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If he survives tryouts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At st ants and chaminade all of the frosh play on the jv teams. This has served them well. Plenty of commits too play on jv every year. I doubt this will change.

Incoming Crush attackman will play varsity at St. A. They need him!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If he survives tryouts

True, though the odds of a good player like this (one who is committed/hyped) falling through the cracks on tryout day are slim.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good to know. Maryland and DC the parents and club guys go nuclear over this stupid thing to have their kid on varsity in 9th grade, deserving or not. Half the coaches in the IAC quit and said 'see ha' this year. It's gotten pathetic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are no froshs and sophs needed. Parents think their kids are great. Will get rocked on varsity any of these players. St ants and chammy play very weak teams, where some of these players stat padded on public school teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are no froshs and sophs needed. Parents think their kids are great. Will get rocked on varsity any of these players. St ants and chammy play very weak teams, where some of these players stat padded on public school teams.

"Very few weak teams"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't think SA played a weak sched according to this

Schedule/Scores
Ratings Detail
Report Scores & Edit/Add Games
Date Opponent Conference PR Top 10 Score COR
03/24 at Fordham Prep (14-8) NY NY AAA-AA 95.6 3 W 13 – 3 0.018
04/02 GREENWICH HS (11-8) CT L 97.1 W 15 – 6 0.018
04/05 at Chaminade (11-7) NY LI AAA-AA 97.2 2 W 5 – 4 0.023
04/07 IONA PREP (12-9) NY NY AAA-AA 95.0 4 W 8 – 3 0.013
04/08 at Episcopal Academy (7-13) PA IAC 94.2 W 8 – 7 0.015
04/16 vs Niskayuna # (16-3) NY A Sec 2 98.6 W 20 – 9 0.025
04/19 at Kellenberg Memorial (10-11) NY LI AAA-AA 93.7 7 W 12 – 5 0.013
04/21 ST JOHN BAPTIST (10-9) NY LI AAA-AA 94.1 6 W 16 – 4 0.013
04/23 at Delbarton (22-2) NJ Grp-A 99.6 L 5 – 7 -0.025
04/28 SYOSSET (16-3) NY A Sec 8 99.1 W 7 – 6 0.025
04/30 YORKTOWN (16-7) NY B Sec 1 99.1 W 9 – 6 0.023
05/05 at Darien (23-0) CT L 99.9 L 7 – 8 -0.025
05/06 at St Dominic (9-7) NY LI AAA-AA 94.1 5 W 11 – 7 0.015
05/10 CHAMINADE (11-7) NY LI AAA-AA 97.2 2 W 4 – 3 0.020
05/14 at New Canaan (19-4) CT M 98.4 W 8 – 3 0.025
05/18 vs Chaminade # (11-7) NY LI AAA-AA 97.2 2 W 18 – 5 0.020
# Neutral Si

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yes that weak schedule sure turned out bad for SA nationally

1st
No Team ST Record Points Place

1 McDonogh MD 18- 1- 0 728 14
2 Darien CT 23- 0- 0 727 10
3 Victor NY 22- 0- 0 693 3
4 Gonzaga DC 19- 2- 0 672
5 Bullis MD 21- 2- 0 636
6 St Anthony's NY 14- 2- 0 494
7 Delbarton NJ 22- 2- 0 481
8 Cold Spring Harbor NY 18- 1- 0 472
9 Deerfield MA 15- 1- 0 469
10 Ward Melville NY 18- 4- 0 444
11 Culver Academy Prep IN 20- 3- 0 427 1
12 Haverford School PA 20- 5- 0 419
13 Hill Academy ON 11- 0- 0 345 3
14 Jamesville-DeWitt NY 21- 2- 0 317
15 St Stephen/St Agnes VA 21- 4- 0 304
16 Boys' Latin MD 14- 4- 0 245
17 Malvern Prep PA 18- 5- 0 225
18 Smithtown East NY 14- 3- 0 198
19 Shoreham-Wading River NY 18- 3- 0 148
20 Bridgewater-Raritan NJ 19- 1- 0 146
21 Belmont Hill MA 14- 1- 0 126
22 Brunswick School CT 15- 3- 0 101
23 New Hampton NH 15- 0- 0 98
24 Regis Jesuit CO 17- 2- 0 97
25 Monte Vista/Danville CA 22- 1- 0 96
26 New Canaan CT 19- 4- 0 92
27 Connetquot NY 16- 3- 0 91
28 Taft School CT 15- 3- 0 83
29 Bayport-Blue Point NY 16- 1- 0 63
30 Syosset NY 16- 3- 0 59
31 Calvert Hall MD 14- 5- 0 58
32 Saint Ignatius Prep CA 16- 4- 0 50
33 Lincoln-Sudbury MA 19- 2- 0 48
34 Landon MD 17- 4- 0 44
35 Upper Arlington OH 20- 3- 0 39
36 Bishop Guertin NH 20- 1- 0 36
37 Brother Rice MI 21- 2- 0 33
38 West Islip NY 14- 3- 0 32
39 Poway CA 18- 3- 0 26
40 Yorktown NY 16- 7- 0 23
41 IMG National FL 12- 1- 0 20
42 LaSalle Academy RI 18- 0- 0 18
43 Torrey Pines CA 19- 3- 0 13
43 Ridgefield CT 16- 5- 0 13
45 Comsewogue NY 13- 4- 0 12
46 Pingry NJ 17- 4- 0 11
47 Lambert GA 21- 0- 0 10
47 Smithtown West NY 12- 6- 0 10
47 Cincinnati St Xavier OH 19- 3- 0 10
50 Upper Dublin PA 21- 3- 0 9

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very tough schedule and team. Look at the rank. No freshmen on that team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Take a look at the NY Highlight Under armour roster, plenty of early birthdays on that list. Its not just MD and Canada that do it......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Take a look at the NY Highlight Under armour roster, plenty of early birthdays on that list. Its not just MD and Canada that do it......
. not on the command though and that is early recruiting!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Basically its ACC and Big Ten teams that are playing the pre-high school commitment game. Although Duke and UVA don't appear to be doing it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Basically its ACC and Big Ten teams that are playing the pre-high school commitment game. Although Duke and UVA don't appear to be doing it.

clearly you are misinformed. I know of 4 early commits on each of those teams personally

Like Reply Quote
Page 16 of 58 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard