BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Long Island Jesters
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,660
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 74 of 77 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 77
Re: High School Lax Boys
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems to be a trend as of late. In the last few years the coaches at Smithtown West,SWR,Sayville and now Syosset have lost their jobs. All because of some parents who aren't happy that their kids aren't playing. All of those programs were very successful because those coaches knew how to spot talent and get the most out of their players! It's a sad state of affairs and will just lead us down the road to participation trophies at the varsity level. Sad indeed.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manhasset too, apparently.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe the schools that tossed their successful coaches want the coaches from the other half of the conferences that lose more than 2/3 of their conference games? If power schools keep tossing their coaches, nobody will take on the job.

As they say-Be careful what you wish for.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are all missing the point. The public school mission has nothing to do with wins and losses of any particular school team. They only want to make sure the kids are having a good experience and the program is teaching healthy life lessons. Just as importantly, they only care that the teams don't have any behavioral or disciplinary issues. If all of those things are being accomplished, they could care less about what the record is. Only the parents seem to care and then again only at some schools. IF a coach is fired its not because of wins and losses. It's because of a failing in one of the objectives that the administration has for the experience of the boys. In each case of a coach being let go, I'm sure there were instances where issues that had nothing to do with wins and losses began to wear out the coach's support from the AD and rest of the administration.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like someone that was banking on said favoritism!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anybody looking for a laugh check out the survey some 7th grader put together about Syo HS coach - notice the leading questions and also how the order of the answers always have the desired answer first.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/braveslax

bottom of the survey has the following

Please attend the Board of Education meeting Monday night 7/11/16 to support allowing Coach Calabria to continue to Coach football and lacrosse in Syosset.
Meeting details and Board member contact info: Syosset Board of Education

comical

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like JL weighing in ahead of the board meeting on Monday night...

So the program needs to be dumbed down so that the district needn't worry about complaining patents...

How does that serve the needs of the student athletes? Why have AP classes? Why gave fine arts classes... Let's stick with baseline across the board!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know any HS sport team my kids have played on, (and if I count up the years and seasons they have done HS sports), 42 sport seasons so far and counting, never once was the coaches goal NOT to have a winning season, and yes it was at the expense of some kids playing very little time, and some none at all. Football, soccer, volleyball, softball, lacrosse, baseball, basketball. There were kids that participated all the way thru and never saw playing time. This was girls and boys HS sports.

I would ask my son why some kids never would see the field in football/basketball/lacrosse, he said they never stepped up in practices, would miss practices, sometimes late, or not put themselves in rotations.

Sometimes snowflakes don't always tell the truth what is really going on.

This isn't rec sports. HS sports the best players play.

If they were let go it should never be because of playing time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey, thanks for helping to get the message out!

I'm sure we can count on ur support Monday night.

Thanks Again!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you or your kid are not having a good experience with the Syosset HS Lacrosse program please quit the team, there are other alternatives. Look at the Catholic School programs or other private school alternatives. Others have taken this action... Some are now back at Syosset. I wonder why? Why not ask them about their experience.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is the back story to Cherry being removed? I hate Manhasset, but the guy had a lot of success there for a long time.

P.S. Many Manhasset dads have been working that connection for years with financial support of the "32" club program. Will be interesting to see what happens with that and what kind of return on inverstment they get if/when a new coach is brought in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What is the back story to Cherry being removed? I hate Manhasset, but the guy had a lot of success there for a long time.

P.S. Many Manhasset dads have been working that connection for years with financial support of the "32" club program. Will be interesting to see what happens with that and what kind of return on inverstment they get if/when a new coach is brought in.

The backstory is same as many other coaches who find themselves at the end of their tenure with the inability to write the Hollywood ending. Unfortunately this ending included too many complaints year after year which the board just couldn't ignore.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The backstory is same as many other coaches who find themselves at the end of their tenure with the inability to write the Hollywood ending. Unfortunately this ending included too many complaints year after year which the board just couldn't ignore.

Complaints that the BoD couldn't ignore? The BoD was voted in to make decisions that are in the best interest of the district. Not bend to the whim of a few whining parents. It happened in Shoreham Wading River, Sayville and now SYO. Completely spineless.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Complaints that the BoD couldn't ignore? The BoD was voted in to make decisions that are in the best interest of the district. Not bend to the whim of a few whining parents. It happened in Shoreham Wading River, Sayville and now SYO. Completely spineless.

The BoD made a decision that was in the best interest for the current and future student athletes. One that involved a popular resident and employee of the distinct, I'm sure no one involved took it lightly.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why, because he speaks the truth.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
anybody think that it was odd that the boy wonder board member sends out an e-mail in support of the coach and at the bottom solicits donations? is the donation for his political benefit or the coaches?

also odd that 3 years ago he wrote a letter to the community trying to make HS sports less competitive and more participation, he also tried to differentiate the commitment levels expected of male athletes vs. female athletes - while taking direct shots at the lacrosse program in particular, now that there seems to be a ground swell of support for the HC he is jumping on the band wagon.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are all missing the point. The public school mission has nothing to do with wins and losses of any particular school team. They only want to make sure the kids are having a good experience and the program is teaching healthy life lessons. Just as importantly, they only care that the teams don't have any behavioral or disciplinary issues. If all of those things are being accomplished, they could care less about what the record is. Only the parents seem to care and then again only at some schools. IF a coach is fired its not because of wins and losses. It's because of a failing in one of the objectives that the administration has for the experience of the boys. In each case of a coach being let go, I'm sure there were instances where issues that had nothing to do with wins and losses began to wear out the coach's support from the AD and rest of the administration.

Sez the hypocritical ultra liberal. Every district has their own athlete code of conduct and in many instances there is verbiage put in place to prevent this nonsense that school sports are non competitive. On the contrary many districts flat out tell you playing time and team membership is at the sole discretion of the coach and don't bother complaining.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
20-30% of parents will hate every coach no matter what. Playing time, discipline, personality, you name it. If a few of them are really vocal and have BOE connections, this is what can happen. Doesn't matter if a majority of the team and parents love the coach, the vocal minority usually prevail.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know if there was a common theme to the complaints which led to the removal of the coaches at SWR, Sayville, Syosset and Manhasset? There have been many posts claiming that in each case a small number of parents complained. Was there conflict of interest with pay to play summer programs? Were the coaches abusing their power for personal profit? Was there bullying? Was there conduct unbecoming? Was it years of little complaints? Was there one major incident in each case that caused such problems?

It is hard to believe that a few disgruntled parents can have such an impact if there are no real problems.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The BoD made a decision that was in the best interest for the current and future student athletes. One that involved a popular resident and employee of the distinct, I'm sure no one involved took it lightly.

High School sports should instill in a young adult the notion that life isn't fair, no one hands you ANYTHING, if you want something (starting on varsity for instance) you have to work harder than the next guy for that spot. Bottomline, varsity sports teaches kids about LIFE. I wanted to be the President of my firm. I scratched and clawed worked my tail off to get the job, it didn't happen...so I started my own firm and achieve the level of success I strove for. Its always natural selection, kids need to learn that as early as possible to be successful in life and varsity sports is a great environment to learn that. SWR, Sayville, SYO---lame. Coaches are too driven for success? We creating a generation of dependent children with no drive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who's the new coach at farmingdale? Taking over for a legend. Tough spot.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am hearing two things being said here about coaches and effort.

1. Coaches: their job is to Coach and do the best they can to win!!!! Yes they need to be a good example and help mould the young men they coach. Yet I believe too many parents put the responsibility of raising their kids on other people. If a kid who plays lacrosse does something wrong it's not the coaches fault it's bad parenting. Yes I said it. Kids do make bad decisions but to blame coaches for everything a kid does while in season is ridiculous and simply just passing the buck. Parents take responsibility for your kids. Being a coach is a thankless job and really a no win situation in this day and age with all these helicopter parents. Who in their right mind would want to subject themselves to the lunatics that peruse the sidelines of high school games waiting for a coach to be human and make a mistake. That's what it has come down to.

2. Effort: working your tail off always doesn't mean you are going to be good. Parents are always on here saying how hard their kid works and he deserves to play. Well again I am sorry to point out that's not the case. There also needs to be some talent and athletic ability with work ethic for a kid to be good. The problem is too many parents have been duped by club coaches to believe their kid is better than they actually are. As a result they pay for private training and expect their kid to start because they start on their club team. That's pay to play. This is true for the watered down club team world we now live in. If your kid isn't better than the kid starting it's ok. It's life. If their work effort is there it will translate over to the classroom and the workforce. Just please don't say because they work hard they should start, it's not real world. The better kid starts plain and simple.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you or your kid are not having a good experience with the Syosset HS Lacrosse program please quit the team, there are other alternatives. Look at the Catholic School programs or other private school alternatives. Others have taken this action... Some are now back at Syosset. I wonder why? Why not ask them about their experience.

FYI Catholic Schools may not be an option or a desire for many people, notably non-Catholics - and the privates may also not be a desire or affordable to many people. I am not in the dump JC camp by any means but I think many of the posts are painting with a very broad brush that the people that are complaining are only concerned about playing time. There are some legitimate issues that warrant discussion. At the end of the day JC's good should outweigh whatever bad is out there and he should return IMHO but that does not mean I am going to take shots at people with a different opinion or experiences and tell them to leave the school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FYI Catholic Schools may not be an option or a desire for many people, notably non-Catholics - and the privates may also not be a desire or affordable to many people. I am not in the dump JC camp by any means but I think many of the posts are painting with a very broad brush that the people that are complaining are only concerned about playing time. There are some legitimate issues that warrant discussion. At the end of the day JC's good should outweigh whatever bad is out there and he should return IMHO but that does not mean I am going to take shots at people with a different opinion or experiences and tell them to leave the school.

---------------------

The point is that a program that has 50 kids is being negatively impacted because of 2~3 disgruntled people. That is not fair. Playing on a HS Team is not compulsory - it is a voluntary extra curricular activity. The point is that if the program does not work for you or your kid, but works for 95% of the kids, don't try to hurt the whole program. Find another viable option.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On this forum I am reading how Syo parents that complain are expecting a handout, or that they complain when their kids aren't that good after all and how they expect to be put forward when it's not deserved. The opponents of the board's decision assume that this action generated from these so-called complainers. What they fail to acknowledge and discuss are the very real issues that have been the catalyst for this. Some of these harsh critics of the opponents are themselves the very architects of a "pay to play" culture and position themselves to be very close to coaches to ensure the starting positions of their sons. They may be afraid that all the time spent schmoozing may be for nothing if coach is gone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, HS sports are NOT about teaching young men and women about how HAD life is. HS sports are about participation, teamwork and commitment. It gives the student participating a sense of being part of a team, and learning to work in a team environment. It gives the student body something to come out and cheer. Did any of you who post on here play any high school sports? A coach will determine who will start/play. Not every kid will start. Not every kid will make the team. Some coaches make sure that Seniors start or play significantly. Some don't. Based on a lot of statements I read on here, the vast majority of you did not play either in HS or college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1. Coaches: their job is to Coach and do the best they can to win!!!! Yes they need to be a good example and help mould the young men they coach. Yet I believe too many parents put the responsibility of raising their kids on other people. If a kid who plays lacrosse does something wrong it's not the coaches fault it's bad parenting. Yes I said it. Kids do make bad decisions but to blame coaches for everything a kid does while in season is ridiculous and simply just passing the buck. Parents take responsibility for your kids. Being a coach is a thankless job and really a no win situation in this day and age with all these helicopter parents. Who in their right mind would want to subject themselves to the lunatics that peruse the sidelines of high school games waiting for a coach to be human and make a mistake. That's what it has come down to.

2. Effort: working your tail off always doesn't mean you are going to be good. Parents are always on here saying how hard their kid works and he deserves to play. Well again I am sorry to point out that's not the case. There also needs to be some talent and athletic ability with work ethic for a kid to be good. The problem is too many parents have been duped by club coaches to believe their kid is better than they actually are. As a result they pay for private training and expect their kid to start because they start on their club team. That's pay to play. This is true for the watered down club team world we now live in. If your kid isn't better than the kid starting it's ok. It's life. If their work effort is there it will translate over to the classroom and the workforce. Just please don't say because they work hard they should start, it's not real world. The better kid starts plain and simple.

Well said and spot on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On this forum I am reading how Syo parents that complain are expecting a handout, or that they complain when their kids aren't that good after all and how they expect to be put forward when it's not deserved. The opponents of the board's decision assume that this action generated from these so-called complainers. What they fail to acknowledge and discuss are the very real issues that have been the catalyst for this. Some of these harsh critics of the opponents are themselves the very architects of a "pay to play" culture and position themselves to be very close to coaches to ensure the starting positions of their sons. They may be afraid that all the time spent schmoozing may be for nothing if coach is gone.

++++++++++++++++++++++

So Mr. Insider....

What are these very real issues you mention? Enlighten all of us?

Please give factual specifics... Not false rumors and half truths.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, I mean Mrs. Insider....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What I find absolutely disgusting and offensive about your comment is that you diminish the dedication and hard work these teenage boys put in all year long to a pay for play scheme. Are you saying the kids who started didn't deserve it? You should be ashamed of yourself!! Most of those boys...the ones who want to take their sport to the next level, sacrifice a lot of time practicing during, after, before and in between seasons and practices to make themselves better. And the boys who are not doing this should not be surprised when their number isn't called! What you and most of your ilk fail to realize is that playing time is a REWARD for hard work!! (just like at work. You don't get a promotion or raise for just showing up)
So, if we use your "theory", then the families of the boys who got college commitments must have paid off those college coaches too, as you probably believe they don't deserve that either! Please grow up and face reality!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really unbelievable that commenters will say dumb comments like "Mr or Mrs Insider" or insinuate that other commenters intimate that kids didn't earn their spots. In the end, all the kids are victims here. You refuse to really understand the issue and then you come back with volatile comments that add fuel to this fire. The truth is the truth-maybe you "should all be men" and "take your hits." Maybe you need a coach to teach you that. Also ironic that board member is so pro-lacrosse. Does anyone remember just a few years ago he felt varsity sports were too demanding? But the athletic population is an untapped voting gold mine isn't it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well said and spot on.

More like gibberish.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Still not sure what the "truth is the truth" means in Syosset.

But here are some verifiable truths:

1) Head coach and his coaching staff have spent 18 years building a top notch program.

2) Program philosophy is about much more than wins / losses, it is about developing character in young men. This is evidenced in part by the no-cut policy.

3) There is overwhelming support for the Syo Coaching Staff among current and past student athletes, current and past parents as well as others in the community. There was a packed auditorium for the BM last night.

These are Truths. Students and Parents spoke publicly at the Board Meeting about positive impact coaching staff has had on them.

If there was any real issue with the head coach in which the School Board (or their lawyers) thought that the student athletes were put is a bad situation he would never have been reinstated after being suspended pending investigation during the season.

Agree that all the students are being negatively impacted over this situation. But by whom? A few people who have an issue with the head coach? The AD? The School Administration? The School Board?

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Any kids participate to the prospect camp at Stonybrook yesterday? Any thoughts? Was it worth it? College coaches attend?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know if there was a common theme to the complaints which led to the removal of the coaches at SWR, Sayville, Syosset and Manhasset? There have been many posts claiming that in each case a small number of parents complained. Was there conflict of interest with pay to play summer programs? Were the coaches abusing their power for personal profit? Was there bullying? Was there conduct unbecoming? Was it years of little complaints? Was there one major incident in each case that caused such problems?

It is hard to believe that a few disgruntled parents can have such an impact if there are no real problems.

High School Coaches do not always get it right when it comes to playing the best players. However, I can not believe that coaches have been fired because parents complain about playing time. . There has to be something more.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by acblax
Any kids participate to the prospect camp at Stonybrook yesterday? Any thoughts? Was it worth it? College coaches attend?

There were two college coaches coaching each team. Maybe one other watching on the sidelines. Each team had three goalies who stayed on an assigned field while teams rotated. Don't attend if your son is a goalie - not much game time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well said and spot on.

More like gibberish.

What is gibberish about it. Because you and your kid can't handle the truth.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you can't believe it then you haven't spent much time around these parts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for some help. Is lsm a position that gets recruited and if so are college coaches willing to give a sizeable scholarship for it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for some help. Is lsm a position that gets recruited and if so are college coaches willing to give a sizeable scholarship for it.

(crickets chirping in the darkness)

Page 74 of 77 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 77

Link Copied to Clipboard