BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,812
Posts386,967
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 25 of 220 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wonder if they will make 3 teams with that many girls?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I was at the 19 tryout I counted 55 girls. I also counted 6 goalies which in itself is amazing. Wonder if each team will carry 2 goalies??????
But you never know who is on vacation, etc.
Heard they hold private tryous in cases of vacations, but don't know if thats true or not.
By the way there were no 2020 girls present for the poster who said there would be one with the powerful dad
Alot of talent
There seemed to be double that # at the 18 tryout and smaller amount for the 2020 that I could see.
Ran very professionally and very organized. One of the better tryout operations that I have seen.

That seems about right ,I did not count.How do you know there were no 2020 girls ,will believe it when rosters are posted.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter tried out on Sat and we will find out this week. Make it or not, TG's is a fine org. The tryout was one of teh best (if not the best) i've ever seen.

I was there as well. Very organized and well run tryout. Plenty of talented girls. Good luck to all!!!

Anybody have any feedback or opinions on the 2017 Purple team from this past summer? Coaches, practice quality, tournaments, etc.?

based on the website, the 2017 purple coaches were Brooke Witkowski and Stephanie Andersen...don't know how the summer went for that team though...anybody?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would they offer private tryouts (if they do)? It should not matter if a girl is on vacation, seems a bit unfair if you ask me! There were plenty of girls at the tryouts to make two solid teams at each level! Must be the "connected" ones that get the private tryout!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lots of talent at Sundays tryout in the 2017, 2018, and 2019 group. Over 75 kids per age group, will be tough for a newcomer but there s room for improvement on every team so it will be interesting to see if the organization makes any changes. Hope they get the roster out quickly so those who did not make the cut will attend other tryouts. Good luck to all.

75 kids 2019?? Not even close

Starting trouble. Pay no attention to this.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would they offer private tryouts (if they do)? It should not matter if a girl is on vacation, seems a bit unfair if you ask me! There were plenty of girls at the tryouts to make two solid teams at each level! Must be the "connected" ones that get the private tryout!!!

Go start trouble on your own thread thanks. We don't need your opinion which is quite sad actually. Have some self confidence and stop with the conspiracy theories.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then get connected.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Families plan trips before tryout dates are posted.

My guess is that an alternate tryout date (and I have no idea if there actually is one) would be for a girl who is a known quantity, ie. played for the club the prior year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

My guess is that an alternate tryout date (and I have no idea if there actually is one) would be for a girl who is a known quantity, ie. played for the club the prior year.

What is a known quantity?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lots of talent at Sundays tryout in the 2017, 2018, and 2019 group. Over 75 kids per age group, will be tough for a newcomer but there s room for improvement on every team so it will be interesting to see if the organization makes any changes. Hope they get the roster out quickly so those who did not make the cut will attend other tryouts. Good luck to all.

How is that starting trouble? Maybe could have been less blunt but seems you have no problem with the person making up numbers.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Powder, your explanation makes perfect sense and seems quite reasonable. Don't get sucked into an argument as there are many instigators from elsewhere hovering this thread looking for an argument.

Like Reply Quote
User
User

I would think a known quantity would be a player who's abilities are known to the evaluators. These abilities could be known for several reasons such as, 1-A previous player from the club team, 2-A player who has played with or against an evaluator during their spring season or 3-A player who is known by evaluators or other coaches to have some talent. This type of private make up tryout is extremely common throughout all club sports at all levels. Nothing to raise any eyebrows over. Good Luck

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
User
User

How is that starting trouble? Maybe could have been less blunt but seems you have no problem with the person making up numbers.

Probably just used to pot stirrers. With no opinion given as to the number of players trying out it seemed to be a typical sarcastic comment all too common on here I assume. How many do you feel were there?

Back of the Cage
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was at Sundays 2020 tryouts and I thought they were run very well. The different stations really gave the girls a good opportunity to show their skills. Good luck to all the girls that tried out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was there too. It will be luck if the kids make it. Coaches were looking at other field during drills missing kids turns, kids didn't get to do all drills at shooting station , when they scrimmaged nobody took notes and when they were done at stations they made kids turn around to see numbers, how do they know what kids did what if they weren't paying attention half the time what about having the kids roll the balls some were good some weren't . I think the coaches were tired at the last session. It was organized and I did like how Shannon stressed academics. So if kids dont make it chalk it up to an experience and use it as a positive to work harder. Let your kid know they are good and to keep trying. It's the luck of the draw.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was there too. It will be luck if the kids make it. Coaches were looking at other field during drills missing kids turns, kids didn't get to do all drills at shooting station , when they scrimmaged nobody took notes and when they were done at stations they made kids turn around to see numbers, how do they know what kids did what if they weren't paying attention half the time what about having the kids roll the balls some were good some weren't . I think the coaches were tired at the last session. It was organized and I did like how Shannon stressed academics. So if kids dont make it chalk it up to an experience and use it as a positive to work harder. Let your kid know they are good and to keep trying. It's the luck of the draw.

I watched the entire thing and did not see what you saw. I thought it was done well. I'm curious how you know that they weren't taking notes and watching unless you were in the field with them. The people running the tryout are experienced, I'm sure they know what they are doing. I thought the 2020 girls got the same attention as the other girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Steppin'Out

Probably just used to pot stirrers. With no opinion given as to the number of players trying out it seemed to be a typical sarcastic comment all too common on here I assume. How many do you feel were there?

58 which includes the goalies.A good number of kids and most seemed to be have good stick skills.I tend to dislike exaggeration and feel being honest about a program is important.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Steppin'Out

I would think a known quantity would be a player who's abilities are known to the evaluators. These abilities could be known for several reasons such as, 1-A previous player from the club team, 2-A player who has played with or against an evaluator during their spring season or 3-A player who is known by evaluators or other coaches to have some talent. This type of private make up tryout is extremely common throughout all club sports at all levels. Nothing to raise any eyebrows over. Good Luck

The other half of the known quantity is the parent/family. With club ball they are bringing in the player, mom, dad etc... tryouts don't show off the parents ability to nag the coaches for playing time or scream at refs and players on the field, or stirring pots on threads. Existing players with well behaved parents are a plus. Nobody, club or existing parents wants baggage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wasn't there but was told the tryouts were pretty organized, so reading this I am a little confused. Does any one know who will be coaching the 2020 team, I heard it was a parent of one of the girls? Is this common, is it something other teams do?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wasn't there but was told the tryouts were pretty organized, so reading this I am a little confused. Does any one know who will be coaching the 2020 team, I heard it was a parent of one of the girls? Is this common, is it something other teams do?

I was there for 2020 and two other age groups, they did a great job putting them through the paces in all the tryouts. The fast flow of some of the stations did have the evaluators marking scores as next players were running drills therefor missing some of the drills, but all girls had multiple turns to run drills. As far as coach, certainly hope they don't put a parent as coach, there is enough BS with parent coaches in town and elsewhere, trying out for TG's because they don't use parents. You would think the coach from this years graduating class would pick up a young team and bring them through.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was there for 2020 and two other age groups, they did a great job putting them through the paces in all the tryouts. The fast flow of some of the stations did have the evaluators marking scores as next players were running drills therefor missing some of the drills, but all girls had multiple turns to run drills. As far as coach, certainly hope they don't put a parent as coach, there is enough BS with parent coaches in town and elsewhere, trying out for TG's because they don't use parents. You would think the coach from this years graduating class would pick up a young team and bring them through.

2017's was very well done at 8am, except that they ran short on time, so they never got to the last station, which for my daughter's group was shooting....pretty important, especially for recruiting attack...other than that, and the long wait for the rosters, I think they did an awesome job!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, because I heard that one of the girls trying out had her father running the drills and it seemed like he was the coach, perhaps he was just evaluating, but some rumors were swirling that the coach of 2020 was coming over from a town team and his daughter was playing too. But, that is not a fact, and I am not presenting it as fact, just asking if it is true and if it is normal for parents to coach these travel teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree 100%, well run. Scrimage type station showed a nice flow of those who played last year. Many of the girls texting each other with anxious excitement, good luck to all. Just curious- were there cuts to last years 2017 team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, because I heard that one of the girls trying out had her father running the drills and it seemed like he was the coach, perhaps he was just evaluating, but some rumors were swirling that the coach of 2020 was coming over from a town team and his daughter was playing too. But, that is not a fact, and I am not presenting it as fact, just asking if it is true and if it is normal for parents to coach these travel teams.
What are you all complaining about? One of the founders of the club is a dad coach. What I saw that was bad was, I believe Shannons's brother was one of the evaluators, and towards the end he was confusing the girls during the drill. Other than that it was a good try out format, I would have been impressed if the chances of making the team equal for all girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not a TG parent (or a YJ parent either) but I thought I would comment. I am a parent coach and I have been for a long time. One of the benefits of a parent coach is the fact that they are a parent. They have some experience in dealing with children. Granted, there are some parent coaches that give the rest of us a black eye. However, the majority of us do a great job. You may end up with a parent coach who is a very qualified.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't believe anyone is complaining, chillax. Hope the email gets sent out soon, I wasn't on the team last year but hope I make it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the 2020 group you have SL who is listed as a director on TG website. The 2020 team would be lucky to have him since he a head varsity girls lax coach in the area. I seriously doubt that they would get him though as there are no Dad's coaching anyother team. He has other kids in organization and doesn't coach them. Maybe he just ran a station and has a good eye for talent in tryouts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The TG have used dad coaches in the past, although the dad in question is also a pretty good H.S. team coach and has a legit background in coaching girls lacrosse. If the 2020 dad mentioned above has a similiar background in coaching girls lacrosse, I think it will work out OK.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last Years 2017 Team had 10 new girls from the previos year!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't believe anyone is complaining, chillax. Hope the email gets sent out soon, I wasn't on the team last year but hope I make it!

I don't think we're going to find out until next Monday, but I hope it's sooner!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The possible coach mentioned for 2020 (SL) was at every tryout over the two day period. He is an outstanding coach. The 2020 kids would be incredibly lucky to have him as their coach - whether it be coach or asst coach. He currently coaches the 2015 team so taking on another young team would work perfectly since the 2015's only have 2 more years left to play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last Years 2017 Team had 10 new girls from the previos year!

So, it sounds like new players should get a legitimate shot at making the team, which is great to hear!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What are you all complaining about? One of the founders of the club is a dad coach. What I saw that was bad was, I believe Shannons's brother was one of the evaluators, and towards the end he was confusing the girls during the drill. Other than that it was a good try out format, I would have been impressed if the chances of making the team equal for all girls.

They REALLY want the brother to succeed. I personally wouldn't want him to coach my girl. I have seen him coaching a few times and am not impressed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not a TG parent (or a YJ parent either) but I thought I would comment. I am a parent coach and I have been for a long time. One of the benefits of a parent coach is the fact that they are a parent. They have some experience in dealing with children. Granted, there are some parent coaches that give the rest of us a black eye. However, the majority of us do a great job. You may end up with a parent coach who is a very qualified.

I agree that some parents can have a good insight working with kids, of course there are a lot of really bad parents out there too. I can tolerate the idea of a parent coaching within the same club his/her child plays on, just not the same team she plays on. Parents wether highly qualified or not, donate much time at the lower levels in many sports where they are sorely needed as it is volunteer work. This is club ball, paid position and the politics of daughter and friends benefiting should be avoided at all costs. So far TG's have avoided this situation, I think on purpose. This rips teams apart at the seams, go back on this and all the other threads and you will see exactly that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree that some parents can have a good insight working with kids, of course there are a lot of really bad parents out there too. I can tolerate the idea of a parent coaching within the same club his/her child plays on, just not the same team she plays on. Parents wether highly qualified or not, donate much time at the lower levels in many sports where they are sorely needed as it is volunteer work. This is club ball, paid position and the politics of daughter and friends benefiting should be avoided at all costs. So far TG's have avoided this situation, I think on purpose. This rips teams apart at the seams, go back on this and all the other threads and you will see exactly that.

Well said!!! I agree with you 100% that it can cause issues on a team! Best scenario all around would be to avoid this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I Think alot of girls have a shot there were alot of talented girls at the 2017 tryout Good Luck !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wasn't complaining at all just asking a question. I am certain whoever coaches will be qualified. Will they call , or email with their decision, and is Monday the day, or did they say by Monday. Of course everyone will be anxious.
Good luck to all the girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a crazy statement. Steve Levy is a parent coach, and coaches his daughters team. There is more than 1 girl on that team that benefits from a relationship with his daughter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shannon told the 2017 girls that they will get an email ON Monday...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2020 girls were told they would find out on Monday as well!

Like Reply Quote
Page 25 of 220 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard