BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Long Island Jesters 2013 Tryouts - September 8th/9th, 2012
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Long Island Jesters Tryouts - September 2012

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Long Island Jesters 2013 Tryouts - September 8th/9th, 2012
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please confirm - is there a 2nd grade team tryout - there is no listing for 2023 class. The page says Ages - 2nd through etc.

Also any details on the team fees?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok. I dont see any costs on the ad. Where is the cost for tryouts or the estimated cost of the program? How about some clarity please?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the Jesters are holding tryouts for 3rd and 4th grade now? Guess this is the new Jesters huh...gone are the days of 2nd3rd4th being open teams. Guess the dys off discount pricing for young kids are gone too. It's official all teams are all about the money now...at least the jesters used to wait to screw you

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont understand why they dont want to post the costs for the tryouts or the cost of the summer program. It would be nice to know upfront. Maybe they they should state just bring your checkbook Lets face it , your buying a product. Its cost "x" amount of dollars and you get "Y" product and people can decide if they want to buy. I see a trend here. It seems nonone want to disclose there fees. Could if be possible they are afraid of price competition. No picking on the Jester but I see other clubs doing this as well.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I dont understand why they dont want to post the costs for the tryouts or the cost of the summer program. It would be nice to know upfront. Maybe they they should state just bring your checkbook Lets face it , your buying a product. Its cost "x" amount of dollars and you get "Y" product and people can decide if they want to buy. I see a trend here. It seems nonone want to disclose there fees. Could if be possible they are afraid of price competition. No picking on the Jester but I see other clubs doing this as well.

Come on now - Colleges have been exploiting their players for years to make millions, why not get the kids use to it at 9 years old! Days are gone when it was about the kids and their development. Its kinda of sicking seeing al these teams directors (not just Jesters, all of them)walking tournements trying to sell their program and look to recruite parents. If a coach really wants your kid, its not always because they want your money (which is a given they will get it) its about them wanting to win more games to promote the club to get more players (i.e. revenue) Maybe if they really wanted your kid - maybe we charge them. I love the "we are only taking the top 46 per grade. Well, lets see - that has to be 2 teams per grade @ 23 kids per team (wow - can you say limited playing time). Assuming they fill all these teams plus tryout revenue you son or daughter can play for a $500k+ revenue enterprise

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see your point. To someone new to travel sports. What are the warning signs of the money making machines. Any thoughts from expereince would be helpful

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Cost for the tryout is $55

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I see your point. To someone new to travel sports. What are the warning signs of the money making machines. Any thoughts from expereince would be helpful

Kinda of hard these days to seperate one from the other - its all copy cat and they all look the same these days. Basically you need to go into knowing its not so much about team and player development, that is left for the Camps, Clinics, etc. These clubs are in to do one thing, win, win allot and promote their club, get big named coaches to join their org (who get paid) and get kids joining and brain wash the parents they need to join clubs to get the best training to what, maybe get a scholarship... Let me point out, if your kids grades aren't where they need to be, there is no chance in getting a big time scholarship so lets all put this into perspective.

Re:Tryout question
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm new to summer travel lacrosse. This board has been very helpful in increasing my knowledge. My question is as follows
1) As different teams have different dates for tryouts. How quick to I have to make a decision on a team? For example how do you manage tryouts that are two or three weeks apart?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for you thoughts. I look at this as a business and I'm realistic. Of all the kids playing how many receive a full scholarship or even some? Its funny I see some travel teams list a committment to a school but you wonder if its a full ride? The commitmment seems like a lotto with very few kids winning a full ride to college.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D1 Lacrosse schools fund 12.6 scholarships.So very few if any players get a 'full ride' on a team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D1 Lacrosse schools fund 12.6 scholarships.So very few if any players get a 'full ride' on a team.

Of those 12.5 scholarships. In lacrosse a coach can break them up anyway they wany - 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 or full. The average scholarship from a D1 school is between 6 to 8k. Subtract that from a $40,000 bill the 529 plan will still need to fund the rest.

These clubs can't predict your son will get a scholarship or anything like that. You as a parent need to do 98% of the work in communicating with coaches, setting up interviews, creating video, etc. These clubs at best will give your son some visability at good tournements if your luckly to get into them. Don't expect the club to do anything more then set a tournement schedule, some coaching and a platform maybe for a coach to see them. But if you don't tell the targeted college coaches who your kids is and looking for them at a specfic tournement its all for not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LaxMom1310
Cost for the tryout is $55

Does anybody know the summer team fee for Jesters?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
from my understanding the director did not want tryouts the parents where leaving to go to other try outs. its consumer driven believe me I know the guy he coached a 3rd grade team they where a pretty good team. The parents told him they where going to tryout for other temas. So what should they do swim up stream or join the consumer. Please advise you should call the guy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
$1400 and its worth it they are good people my son plays for them and it has been a great experince

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
from my understanding the director did not want tryouts the parents where leaving to go to other try outs. its consumer driven believe me I know the guy he coached a 3rd grade team they where a pretty good team. The parents told him they where going to tryout for other temas. So what should they do swim up stream or join the consumer. Please advise you should call the guy

Pricing is finally posted. I guess these parents were also asking the director to add tryouts and increase the price because this obviously makes a more competitive team. For those who were looking for this, good luck and enjoy the $1400 price tag - $1100 increase for one more average tournement and a helmet. Igloo, Outlaws, Dune Dawgs, express, 91 as good of an option and more established at this grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son plays on the team we beat 91 express lost to igloo how can you say these teams are better or more established THEY ARE IN 3RD GRADE. I am sure you played lacrosse and you are and expert on how to run a team so call the director and help. I am sure they would love to have you since you have this all figured out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try to find out what the other clubs are charging at least they are upfront

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You beat 91 ?? 3 rd grade?? Heard you got smoked by a 2 nd grade 91 team!!

My son plays on the team we beat 91 express lost to igloo how can you say these teams are better or more established THEY ARE IN 3RD GRADE. I am sure you played lacrosse and you are and expert on how to run a team so call the director and help. I am sure they would love to have you since you have this all figured out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
check your facts
call the director and coach I heard 91 3rd graders called him to come to the team after they beat them in the tournamment. If you look at there web site you can see what they did for the summer excluding the laxpax4 kids it was a charity event it did not matter winners or losers

I am sure he would love to speak with you stop hiding behind the e mail and call him easy guy to talk to we are going back

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FACTS?
So you are saying that the 91 3rd grade orange team was beat by jesters? and then they called to try to come onto team? if that is true then i can imagine Igloo's phone was off the hook with every organization they beat including by your organization parents. To sit on here and rant about a bunch of third grade victories is pretty lame wouldnt you say? but seriously Lax4backpax is an exclusion? why beacuse of charity? i take it being beat by 2nd graders was part of that charity? Who is hiding?
Is it maybe the 91 coach? maybe he called and asked to "Please may i play for the Jesters"?

check your facts
call the director and coach I heard 91 3rd graders called him to come to the team after they beat them in the tournamment. If you look at there web site you can see what they did for the summer excluding the laxpax4 kids it was a charity event it did not matter winners or losers

I am sure he would love to speak with you stop hiding behind the e mail and call him easy guy to talk to we are going back

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone play a tournament with the intention of losing? I don't care if it is a charity event or not. The kids play tournaments to win. It may not be win at all costs but the kids play hard and are trying to win.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You gotta be kiddin ? This says a lot about some of the parents of this jesters team. To say call up the director and coach and ask him about one tournament ? You guys were annihilated during the first tournament and if I recall , most likely you won't because it seems that you are new and clueless in the travel team world , last year you were so beat down by 91 that they ran a 10 pass rule because the coach felt bad for your team , and they still shut out the game . You wanna come on here and try to promote your program by saying 91 kids are calling to join program after you beat them? Just love when you wanna talk smack and you have no clue

check your facts

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Says a good deal about any parent who is comfortable using terms like "beat down" and "talk smack"...remember you are parents not kids, the kids are the ones playing lacrosse, the parents should be the onee teaching the kids not talk in terms of beat downs and talking smack...great 91 beat jesters and jesters beat 91 or didnt, who cares...at any given age group each club has good teams. When deciding between the clubs for your son or daughter, take a look around and see ifthe parents are people you would want to spend 6 hours under a tent with...if they are throwing beats downs and talking smack, then probably not.
You gotta be kiddin ? This says a lot about some of the parents of this jesters team. To say call up the director and coach and ask him about one tournament ? You guys were annihilated during the first tournament and if I recall , most likely you won't because it seems that you are new and clueless in the travel team world , last year you were so beat down by 91 that they ran a 10 pass rule because the coach felt bad for your team , and they still shut out the game . You wanna come on here and try to promote your program by saying 91 kids are calling to join program after you beat them? Just love when you wanna talk smack and you have no clue

check your facts

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well maybe i should call up the jesters coach and ask him .

Says a good deal about any parent who is comfortable using terms like "beat down" and "talk smack"...remember you are parents not kids, the kids are the ones playing lacrosse, the parents should be the onee teaching the kids not talk in terms of beat downs and talking smack...great 91 beat jesters and jesters beat 91 or didnt, who cares...at any given age group each club has good teams. When deciding between the clubs for your son or daughter, take a look around and see ifthe parents are people you would want to spend 6 hours under a tent with...if they are throwing beats downs and talking smack, then probably not.

check your facts

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bravo

Someone finally gets it they are in 3rd grade. Excuse me 4th grade everyone should enjoy what is left of the summer and enjoy your kids. Everyone good luck with the try outs I am sure everyone will make the right joice for there kid.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the Jesters increased the price of 3rd grade lax by $550 and haven't given you anything more than last year.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
So the Jesters increased the price of 3rd grade lax by $550 and haven't given you anything more than last year.
According to the Jesters web site, the following elements are part of the second and third grade programs :

Spring Season – A Minimum of 10 Games
25 Practices Total
3 Summer Tournaments
Custom Sublimated Jester Uniform
Jersey
Shorts
Socks
Custom Bag
Professional Coaching
Peer Training – A Minimum of 2 Personalized Practices
(Training with Varsity & College Players – 5 Varsity Players per Practice)
Directors Practice - At least One Directors Practice
4 Winter Indoor Training / Scrimmage Sessions (Sunday Mornings) (1 Hour)

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Continuing, grades four through eleven programs include the following elements :

Custom Sublimated Uniform
Custom Shooting Shirt
3 Sessions with MDP Staff
Custom Brine Helmet
Custom Head Wrap
3 Directors Practice
5 Summer Tournaments
8 to 10 summer practices

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Finally, the Jesters Black U/15 "national competition" program includes the following elements :

Custom Sublimated Uniform
Custom Shooting Shirt
3 Sessions with MDP Staff
Custom Brine Helmet
Custom Head Wrap
3 Directors Practice
5 Summer Tournaments
One fall Tournament
5 Fall Practices
U – 15 National Tournament in Disney
Includes:
Airfare
Transportation in Fla
Hotel
Tournament fees
Travel uniform
Chaperones (So parents do not have to Travel)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a rain date for try outs tonight?

J
JESTERS STAFF
Unregistered
JESTERS STAFF
Unregistered
J
JESTERS RAIN DATES:

8th Grade - Sunday 9/9/12 - 7pm - 9pm - Walk-ons Welcome - PLEASE ARRIVE 45 MINUTES PRIOR

5th Grade - Dates to be announced.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
While this organization may have a decent team or two at some ages, by all means avoid their 2020, 5th grade team. I saw them a couple times this past spring/summer. They had an assistant coach just yelling "hit them" to his players at both games, while they were getting beaten soundly. It was tough to watch.
Unless you want him to teach your kid how to be a "tough guy".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody know about their 3rd grade team. I heard their 2nd grade team was pretty good last year. Some parents I knew said they had a good experience with last years second grade team. Any idea who the coach is? thank you,

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Anybody know about their 3rd grade team. I heard their 2nd grade team was pretty good last year. Some parents I knew said they had a good experience with last years second grade team. Any idea who the coach is? thank you,

My son played on the 2 nd grade team last year...overall we really enjoyed it. The price has made a serious jump this year from the $250 we payed last season....but this year the tournaments are included in the price. I received an email about the new coach seems to have a good resume and he has no child on the team. I would recommend them for sure.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any word on the 2017 team? How they did last year? And their coach? Of course they want a commitment before any of the other tryouts have been held.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2017 team for this coming year may be entirely new. New coaches and many kids coming over from other organizations.

Other organizations have also asked commitments you may just not be aware.

Any word on the 2017 team? How they did last year? And their coach? Of course they want a commitment before any of the other tryouts have been held.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sad to see another low cost program go the route of money maker. These programs used to be about give more kids the opportunity to play throughout the summer. Now they have become financial centers looking for bragging rights.
On a different note, Every time we played the Jesters last year they had a different group of kids. Not so easy to point fingers and say the other programs are not doing the right thing when you yourself are right in the middle of it. Lower grades should be about learning the fundamentals and progressing, not how hard we can cross check or play pole at 3rd grade. Seriously, poles at 3rd grade.

Link Copied to Clipboard