Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#173098 - 06/28/16 07:53 AM LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion  
strongARM Offline
Back of THE CAGE
strongARM  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Possible to have a forum for Girls LAX that is not just for pissing matches regarding YJ and TG?

I'm looking to find out thoughts on other teams as my daughter is looking for a new team in the next try out season.

Teams she is looking at so far will be I**N, Le****y, El****e, perhaps Li****y. Probably TG just to take on that try out environment.

She's a rising 9th grader.

Thanks in advance

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#173101 - 06/28/16 07:56 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  
TommyM Offline
Back of THE CAGE
TommyM  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

NY
So you honestly think this thread can be serious and/or civil? Good luck with that.

Top Reply Quote
#173103 - 06/28/16 08:01 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by strongARM
Possible to have a forum for Girls LAX that is not just for pissing matches regarding YJ and TG?

I'm looking to find out thoughts on other teams as my daughter is looking for a new team in the next try out season.

Teams she is looking at so far will be I**N, Le****y, El****e, perhaps Li****y. Probably TG just to take on that try out environment.

Thanks in advance

You broke your own rule by mentioning TG in your first post!

Top Reply Quote
#173106 - 06/28/16 08:07 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks in advance

Would you mind saying where she's leaving? I assume YJ but which team, and why you're leaving? Thanks.

Top Reply Quote
#173109 - 06/28/16 08:14 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous

Thanks in advance

Would you mind saying where she's leaving? I assume YJ but which team, and why you're leaving? Thanks.

You can't mention that club read the banner !

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#173116 - 06/28/16 08:34 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: Anonymous]  
strongARM Offline
Back of THE CAGE
strongARM  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

She's leaving neither of those teams... I don't want to disparage where she's leaving (yet, althought they deserve it), I really just hope to get some thoughts on other teams (positive or negative).

Larry, I hear you. I don't care if it is civil, but I was (perhaps foolishly) looking for some thoughts either way... Just trying to have a discussion that's not about such and such a coach or player on either YJ or TG teams.

Top Reply Quote
#173118 - 06/28/16 08:35 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  
TommyM Offline
Back of THE CAGE
TommyM  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

NY
She's leaving neither of those teams... I don't want to disparage where she's leaving (yet, althought they deserve it), I really just hope to get some thoughts on other teams (positive or negative).

Larry, I hear you. I don't care if it is civil, but I was (perhaps foolishly) looking for some thoughts either way... Just trying to have a discussion that's not about such and such a coach or player on either YJ or TG teams.

Should be a reasonable thought/ idea, right? lol

Top Reply Quote
#173127 - 06/28/16 08:59 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks in advance

Curious, why are those other teams not able to be typed in this forum, everyone knows what they refer to ??? If you can say TG, YJ, M&D, Skywalkers, heroes etc I'm not sure what's wrong with those others. Having said that, my daughter plays for one of the two programs you don't want to hear about, and she is quite happy. there is a place for everyone, and I wish you the best.

Top Reply Quote
#173129 - 06/28/16 09:00 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take her to every try out that your daughter would like to attend
And let her decide what team she would like to play on

As parents we can guide our kids but ultimately the decision should be and needs to be hers

Top Reply Quote
#173131 - 06/28/16 09:05 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

[quote=Anonymous]
Take her to every try out that your daughter would like to attend
And let her decide what team she would like to play on

As parents we can guide our kids but ultimately the decision should be and needs to be hers [/quote

I would also suggest you go to one of the teams practices and see how the team interacts

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#173132 - 06/28/16 09:07 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: Anonymous]  
TommyM Offline
Back of THE CAGE
TommyM  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

NY
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Thanks in advance

Curious, why are those other teams not able to be typed in this forum, everyone knows what they refer to ??? If you can say TG, YJ, M&D, Skywalkers, heroes etc I'm not sure what's wrong with those others. Having said that, my daughter plays for one of the two programs you don't want to hear about, and she is quite happy. there is a place for everyone, and I wish you the best.

It has been explained so many times. Once more.. They are not programs that BOTC is comfortable promoting to parents.

Top Reply Quote
#173134 - 06/28/16 09:11 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you looking to break into a top team or would you be happy with a 2nd or 3rd team? Where do her friends play and are they happy? You obviously have been around and read the 2020 forums. I would not expect any meaningful dialogue here without knowing more about your daughters ability, why you are unhappy and what you/she is looking for and hoping to find. There are some new startups and might be worth a chance. If you stay with the name brands it's just more of the same.

Top Reply Quote
#173201 - 06/28/16 11:59 AM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: Anonymous]  
strongARM Offline
Back of THE CAGE
strongARM  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

She's too good to play on a C team, a VERY solid B player, and can hang with some A players but isn't really that type. She and (we) doesn't want to try to get on an A team where she stands on the sidelines... she loves playing the game not just being at games.

The other part of the equation that we've seen over the years is that organizations with Boys and Girls generally seem to dump all the time/effort into the boys and the girls are an afterthought. There may be exceptions to that rule but we've seen it ourselves and heard lots more similar stories. Girls teams are marketed pre tryout season but then not supported.

Top Reply Quote
#173218 - 06/28/16 12:45 PM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are there any programs that her friends play for that are not TG or YJ? What is their feedback? Sometimes it is easier, especially when they are a little older to know someone on the team they are going to. There is no right answer to the club question. We have friends who's daughters are happy on YJ (a, b and c teams), TG (a and b teams), fl$, Liberty (depending where you live (this one has often been underestimated for the level of coaching you get there) and a few others out there depending on what their goals are. From watching them play it also seems that Elevate has some need for quality players and you may be able to position your daughter in a good spot there at her age group. We have heard many negatives about Beach B, as of late. It used to be a better option a few years ago, but seems to be loosely organized as of now. Talk to people, find out which program matches with your families goals and financial commitment. Pick a few and go to tryouts. You will get a feeling from tryouts on how you like the organization and how the fit is in many instance. Our daughter plays for a new club that was started as a boys club. But they are run completely separate, and most people on the girls side of our club forget or don't even realize there is a boys side. Our girls director, has total control and is extremely involved in all the teams and player development. The oldest age group is your daughter's age and there are two teams. I am sure you can figure out the program.

I think the coaching models that utilize adult coaches are the best for player development. Not to say having a college student as a coach along side an adult is a bad thing to the contrary it is a good thing, good role model, up to date on latest techniques, the girls usually look to them as role model. But adults are usually better equipped to develop long term learning and development plans for teams and individuals. There is nothing wrong with YJ, TG or the club we are at as long as it fits for your daughter and you are comfortable with the families on the team she is on. That in many instances is the "X" factor.

Top Reply Quote
#173225 - 06/28/16 01:03 PM Re: LONG ISLAND - GIrls Only YJ/TG free discussion [Re: strongARM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

She's too good to play on a C team, a VERY solid B player, and can hang with some A players but isn't really that type. She and (we) doesn't want to try to get on an A team where she stands on the sidelines... she loves playing the game not just being at games.

The other part of the equation that we've seen over the years is that organizations with Boys and Girls generally seem to dump all the time/effort into the boys and the girls are an afterthought. There may be exceptions to that rule but we've seen it ourselves and heard lots more similar stories. Girls teams are marketed pre tryout season but then not supported.

You should give LI Wave a look. Director will not take more than one team per age group and I'd very dedicated to the game having been involved both as a coach as well as head of officials. Once you make the team you don't ever have to try out again. Unlike other organizations he works with you directly on getting your daughter into a good college and is well respected by recruiters. Remember it's not all about winning tournaments, it's about development and contacts. Best of luck!

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Martin Luther King Jr. - Girls LAX Tournament
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Lacrosse Tournament