BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 58 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 57 58
Re: Early Recruiting
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
17 year olds on the 2019-20 Under Armour South roster? Makes no sense

In Maryland most private school 9th graders are 16. Does not shock me at all to read rising sophs are 17. Our 2018 son just got his drivers license this last week. He is the only kid who wasn't licensed in 9th grade on his school team, and most of those kids have been licensed more than 1 year. One benefit is you can stop driving your kid to summer tournaments a year or two earlier.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

theres a kid on the UA South command team who is in the 2019 graduating class( freshman in high school) who is turning 17 this year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does it mean anything to be invited to a prospect day? My son was at an event where a D1 coach from a school was teaching. My son played well in a scrimmage where this coach was on the field and two days later I get an email thanking us for our interest in his school ( we never reached out by the way) and inviting my guy to their prospect camp. This is my oldest kid so not sure if this is meaningful. Email also wasn't personalized and didnt mention my son by name.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its all about the money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He is interested in your money - don't bother

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does it mean anything to be invited to a prospect day? My son was at an event where a D1 coach from a school was teaching. My son played well in a scrimmage where this coach was on the field and two days later I get an email thanking us for our interest in his school ( we never reached out by the way) and inviting my guy to their prospect camp. This is my oldest kid so not sure if this is meaningful. Email also wasn't personalized and didnt mention my son by name.

Have your Son's club or HS Coach call the college coach to find out what kind of interest there is... If you don't feel comfortable with either Coach making that call, call yourself. I've done it. If they're interested they will tell you so. You can then let the Coach know your son is interested. At which point the prospect day will be much more meaningful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2018 is still 16..... wow, Am I doing something wrong?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2018 is still 15 ....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Been there. Trust me, you would have heard by now indirectly if that they were interested. There is not as much mystery to the process as you would think. Where there is genuine interest you will know. The only prospect days that I found worthwhile were for D3 schools. The D1 prospect days are just to provide the assistant coaches with additional income. They are not recruiting opportunities unless the coach has specifically reached out to your club or high school coach directly and specifically about your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2018 is still 16..... wow, Am I doing something wrong?
my 2017 is 17 and was committed at 14!!! Yikes!!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He is two months younger than my kid who is off to college this September. Yikes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In Maryland most private school 9th graders are 16. Does not shock me at all to read rising sophs are 17. Our 2018 son just got his drivers license this last week. He is the only kid who wasn't licensed in 9th grade on his school team, and most of those kids have been licensed more than 1 year. One benefit is you can stop driving your kid to summer tournaments a year or two earlier.

Your son go to BL? Most MD private school kids are not 16 during freshman year. A lot of the summer bdays would turn 16 before sophomore year especially if the started in private elementary. BTW the UA South roster is Fla, Ga etc kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reclassing your kid for sports is beyond lame

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your son go to BL? Most MD private school kids are not 16 during freshman year. A lot of the summer bdays would turn 16 before sophomore year especially if the started in private elementary. BTW the UA South roster is Fla, Ga etc kids

Are you serious? Like these kids are on age? My rising Jr (committed) is still 16. Won't be 17 for nearly 6 months. He's considered old for his grade. You MD guys are a joke. Same with those over rated 20 yo college freshman Inter AC punks too. Nearly all of your kids play down. Imagine if you guys had to play on age? Talk about being exposed...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reclassing your kid for sports is beyond lame

If I cant get a BIG GULP in NYC, there should also be a law that if you hold your kid back for sports child welfare should take your kid from you because you clearly are unfit and don't have your priorities straight. 1, It's WRONG, 2, its LACROSSE (not a pro sport... it's a beer money league)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you serious? Like these kids are on age? My rising Jr (committed) is still 16. Won't be 17 for nearly 6 months. He's considered old for his grade. You MD guys are a joke. Same with those over rated 20 yo college freshman Inter AC punks too. Nearly all of your kids play down. Imagine if you guys had to play on age? Talk about being exposed...

Hey sport. My rising junior is still 15. Not defending the hold back practice just correcting the poster claiming the majority of MD 9th graders are 16. That is a patently false statement. The original post commented on 17 yr old 2019 on UA south roster. UA south is not MD. It's Fla, Ga etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey sport. My rising junior is still 15. Not defending the hold back practice just correcting the poster claiming the majority of MD 9th graders are 16. That is a patently false statement. The original post commented on 17 yr old 2019 on UA south roster. UA south is not MD. It's Fla, Ga etc.

Ok let me clarify, clearly the majority of your top kids are holdbacks playing down. That "Sport", is a fact. The majority of the starting kids on your top three travel teams in 2017, 2018 and 2019, are beyond a shadow of a doubt, playing down. Not sure why? I can only assume that they could not compete with the best at the same age from the rest of the country.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Baltimore private schools and Baltimore based clubs are full to the brim with holdbacks. Comical

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok let me clarify, clearly the majority of your top kids are holdbacks playing down. That "Sport", is a fact. The majority of the starting kids on your top three travel teams in 2017, 2018 and 2019, are beyond a shadow of a doubt, playing down. Not sure why? I can only assume that they could not compete with the best at the same age from the rest of the country.

I think Ryan McClernan always has a few and loud examples of on age kids on teams 8th grade and up. The term I wrote was most. My DC area son is on age. He's one of only 3 on age kids in his class on his high school team out of 11. I would call this widespread. Anyone who says that holdbacks aren't an epidemic in Baltimore and in the DC area are absolutely misinformed or they are just lying.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any one have any real life experience with D3 recruiting? Particularly, NESCAC schools? Timeline, strength of coach support for admission, etc. Any information would be helpful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
two types of recruits D3. one type is the legitimate recruit who is contacted frequently and coach follows players summer games. invites for meeting and campus visit.
The other kind is the type who contacts school , goes to visit and decides to apply to school and then declares himself committed.

Either kind may be on the team. the actual recruits have their application walked thru admissions, and have a roster spot at least for freshman year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In Baltimore, about 50% of the lacrosse kids (boys) go to private schools. If they start in first grade, about half of the class will have been recommended for a "pre-first" year and when they enter the first grade they are a year older. When children transfer from a public school into a private school, many of them are recommended to repeat their current grade to prepare for a "more rigorous" academic culture. When teams went to graduation years at younger ages a few years back, parents were given the choice of play with your friends from school in your class or play with "older" kids from school. Most parents choose to encourage their kids to play with their class mates, a few do not. Most coaches encourage to play where ever comfortable, a few do not. On most 7 & 8 grade teams, kids are generally on age mixed with a few kids or so being older. However, programs that compete for national attention, Crabs being a good example, most of the kids are NOT on age. Also, as summer approaches, many teams who were on age, add players from other communities, counties or states to bolster their rosters that are not on age. Once kids get to 9 grade, all bets are off. Every kid that can qualify for grad year team, regardless of age, plays grad year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think July 1 after junior year is the date offers begin to be extended to rising high school seniors. Coaches have a lot of pull with admissions. Academic achievement is a must. Google "NESCAC Lax recruiting bands" for specifics about academic requirements.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey sparky, Take a look at the UA Balt Highlight div 2017-2018. Out of 22 there are 3 boys born before the 9/1 cutoffs for their respective grades. I'm guessing that all of those boys are starters on their club teams. My point is it's not the majority or most. It's some. And most of those are born within a few months of the cutoff. There some teams, schools and clubs that promote hold backs and would have a majority (ie 2020 Crabs), but most teams in baltimore will have a handful (less than 5) that were held back early on. My kids are not held back and have spring and summer birthdays. I agree that it crazy to reclass for sports and youth should be age based. But to exaggerate to prove your point cheapens your argument. NY is at a distinct age disadvantage because of your school cut-off. However it was the long island clubs that started the grade based teams. To what end I'm not sure. But all club teams and local tournaments in baltimore were u13, u15 (including crabs and other NYPLL teams) until about 2013-14 when the club scene picked-up. Gradually most clubs changed to grade as most tournaments were grade as were the NY teams that kicked our butts. I know your teams weren't older but it opened the door for all this.

Also check out the birthdays of some of the other UA regions - sout, west etc. Might surprise you that this "epidemic" is not contained to MD

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think Ryan McClernan always has a few and loud examples of on age kids on teams 8th grade and up. The term I wrote was most. My DC area son is on age. He's one of only 3 on age kids in his class on his high school team out of 11. I would call this widespread. Anyone who says that holdbacks aren't an epidemic in Baltimore and in the DC area are absolutely misinformed or they are just lying.

Finally, an honest assessment of the DMV lacrosse teams. For years people from MD, Pa and Mass have been trying to say that their teams "catch up" to the highly skilled teams from LI, i.e. the Turtles, Extreme and now Crush. Nothing could be further from the truth, they don't get any better, they just get 1 to 2 years older, come rising freshman and sophomore time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son plays on an elite 2020 team in the DMV. He is on age. The holdback situation is beyond silly. It his shocking that parents think holding their kid back for sports makes sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
unless they end up at somewhere like Brown or Duke for example

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any one have any real life experience with D3 recruiting? Particularly, NESCAC schools? Timeline, strength of coach support for admission, etc. Any information would be helpful.
Sort of second hand info, gleaned from some families who have been through it at NESCACs. My understanding is that coaches typically can get 2, maybe 3, kids in with what most NESCACs call "tip ins", kids close academically but need the help to get over the bar.
I do know you need be careful because with only a limited number of tips, and a bunch of spots to fill, coaches have been known to give the impression that admission is highly likely, given 'so-and-so's' application and qualifications, I know more than one kid who got the Don't Worry talk, only to never get in.
Best way to get around the coaches limited constraints is to try and find a path to an influential alum who can help. Say your not the coaches future AA, and he's going to use his tips on others, but he'd love to have you on team if you can get in. Try and find the alum who can help. I'm certain how Amherst has filled a few slots with kids who weren't going to get in without the added support.
If you are going to go that route though, make sure you don't burn the guy and then decide Dartmouth is coming back!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah , getting a college diploma from Princeton , what a disaster. So much better with a degree from Syracuse
Princeton: disaster. You guys truly have lost retrospect.
Dartmouth: disaster
Georgetown: disaster
Drexel: not relevant
Marist: not relevant
Siena: not relevant
Rutgers: not relevant

All of these schools tend to recruit late and this is just a partial list, the MID to bottom half of D1 all recruit late.

They recruit late because no 9th or 10th grade superstar is going to commit to them early. You think they are late recruiters by choice? Stop it with your child like logic. They are lower tier schools that will wait till later in the process because the top 100 kids are off the board before they blink. They are going to take a flyer on the #200 ranked 10th grader? So dumb.

As for Princeton were talking about lacrosse here not academics, lacrosse wise they are a disaster

What an idiot. Please don't ever try and say Princeton is a disaster in anything. A degree from there and you move to the top of every resume pile in the country lacrosse or not. You dadies need to realize that lacrosse ends but a degree from a top 10 school lasts forever. Syracuse isn't even in the same zip code allowing C+ students in these days as long as you pay the $60k tuition

Nit wit. their coach elbowed an opposing player. one of the worst shows of sportsmanship since Woody Hayes. yes even a snippy little elite liberal institution gets real low marks for this kind of stuff.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey sparky, Take a look at the UA Balt Highlight div 2017-2018. Out of 22 there are 3 boys born before the 9/1 cutoffs for their respective grades. I'm guessing that all of those boys are starters on their club teams. My point is it's not the majority or most. It's some. And most of those are born within a few months of the cutoff. There some teams, schools and clubs that promote hold backs and would have a majority (ie 2020 Crabs), but most teams in baltimore will have a handful (less than 5) that were held back early on. My kids are not held back and have spring and summer birthdays. I agree that it crazy to reclass for sports and youth should be age based. But to exaggerate to prove your point cheapens your argument. NY is at a distinct age disadvantage because of your school cut-off. However it was the long island clubs that started the grade based teams. To what end I'm not sure. But all club teams and local tournaments in baltimore were u13, u15 (including crabs and other NYPLL teams) until about 2013-14 when the club scene picked-up. Gradually most clubs changed to grade as most tournaments were grade as were the NY teams that kicked our butts. I know your teams weren't older but it opened the door for all this.

Also check out the birthdays of some of the other UA regions - sout, west etc. Might surprise you that this "epidemic" is not contained to MD

A greater part of the southern Cali explosion promotes the holdback as well. Anyone hungry enough for a cheeseburger will tell you that!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah , getting a college diploma from Princeton , what a disaster. So much better with a degree from Syracuse
Princeton: disaster. You guys truly have lost retrospect.
Dartmouth: disaster
Georgetown: disaster
Drexel: not relevant
Marist: not relevant
Siena: not relevant
Rutgers: not relevant

All of these schools tend to recruit late and this is just a partial list, the MID to bottom half of D1 all recruit late.

They recruit late because no 9th or 10th grade superstar is going to commit to them early. You think they are late recruiters by choice? Stop it with your child like logic. They are lower tier schools that will wait till later in the process because the top 100 kids are off the board before they blink. They are going to take a flyer on the #200 ranked 10th grader? So dumb.

As for Princeton were talking about lacrosse here not academics, lacrosse wise they are a disaster

What an idiot. Please don't ever try and say Princeton is a disaster in anything. A degree from there and you move to the top of every resume pile in the country lacrosse or not. You dadies need to realize that lacrosse ends but a degree from a top 10 school lasts forever. Syracuse isn't even in the same zip code allowing C+ students in these days as long as you pay the $60k tuition

Nit wit. their coach elbowed an opposing player. one of the worst shows of sportsmanship since Woody Hayes. yes even a snippy little elite liberal institution gets real low marks for this kind of stuff.

I would have called it a disaster if they didn't get rid of him, but they did. Its always been said, it is not how hard you fall but how you get up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another 2020 commits, Looney's FL FOGO to UNC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kid is good - no surprise. I don't get committing to a school like UNC when he could have gone anywhere (ND, Duke, Ivy, etc.). To each his own ....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amazing how fast everyone adapts to the new normal. A couple years ago it leaked a kid committed to Hopkins before 9th grade even started. Last summer it was a kid on the middle of the summer before 9th grade. Now it is kids right on the last day of middle school. Is this like Duke telling their recruits to stay non public until they finish 9th grade "because Duke doesn't recruit 9th graders"? I privately wonder if kids are now being offered in the middle of 8th grade after fall ball and the coaches just think keeping a lid on it -- for now -- keeps it from looking more sleazy and more extreme.

This is absolutely destroying the youth sport. 5th and 6th graders now have anxieties over being noticed in middle school or it will be too late.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amazing how fast everyone adapts to the new normal. A couple years ago it leaked a kid committed to Hopkins before 9th grade even started. Last summer it was a kid on the middle of the summer before 9th grade. Now it is kids right on the last day of middle school. Is this like Duke telling their recruits to stay non public until they finish 9th grade "because Duke doesn't recruit 9th graders"? I privately wonder if kids are now being offered in the middle of 8th grade after fall ball and the coaches just think keeping a lid on it -- for now -- keeps it from looking more sleazy and more extreme.

This is absolutely destroying the youth sport. 5th and 6th graders now have anxieties over being noticed in middle school or it will be too late.

It ain't the kids ... it's the parents. There is no reason a 5th or 6th grader should even know it's going on unless the parents and transferring their own misplaced anxieties on their kids ... which we know they are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kid is good - no surprise. I don't get committing to a school like UNC when he could have gone anywhere (ND, Duke, Ivy, etc.). To each his own ....

Maybe he fits better academically at UNC? You are right, to each his own. Why comment then? Too many times parents have a tough time assessing their kids abilities in athletics and academics. Personally I always want my kids to be challenged, but u can't be unrealistic!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you're one who doesn't think ER is ruining the youth sport, all you had to do is spend half a day around the 2020 & 2019 games at Adrenaline this weekend. Between delusional parents, coach screaming at player after game that he could never recommend him, to a recent 2019 D1 commit taking off his equipment at 4 minute mark because coach didn't put him back in fast enough, one kid even looking up at the scaffold to let them know that was his 5th goal....and I was only there for an hour ....I'd love to say college programs will get what they deserve, but with 55 man rosters I'm sure they'll be able to weed out their mistakes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It ain't the kids ... it's the parents. There is no reason a 5th or 6th grader should even know it's going on unless the parents and transferring their own misplaced anxieties on their kids ... which we know they are.

Hate to break it to you pal, but Al Gore invented a thing called the internet. Some kids even access it from time to time. There is Twitter and Ty Xanders and all the other nonsense. I agree many parents are crazy. However, if you think kids aren't on their phones reading these blogs and tweets about the latest early commits then you are living under a rock.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you're one who doesn't think ER is ruining the youth sport, all you had to do is spend half a day around the 2020 & 2019 games at Adrenaline this weekend. Between delusional parents, coach screaming at player after game that he could never recommend him, to a recent 2019 D1 commit taking off his equipment at 4 minute mark because coach didn't put him back in fast enough, one kid even looking up at the scaffold to let them know that was his 5th goal....and I was only there for an hour ....I'd love to say college programs will get what they deserve, but with 55 man rosters I'm sure they'll be able to weed out their mistakes

That is just so sad and pathetic to read. We've really failed these kids. It is KILLING the youth sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is just so sad and pathetic to read. We've really failed these kids. It is KILLING the youth sport.

Please tell me it wasn't any team from LI doing this?

Like Reply Quote
Page 13 of 58 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard